117 SE Seminole Street
Stuart FL 34994

Waters Edge Recovery Philosophy

At Waters Edge Recovery, each guest is treated as an individual, with a customized treatment plan designed around the current needs and recovery lifestyle that each guest has chosen. There is a strong focus toward the future and in finding a genuine, personal purpose for their lives. Emphasis is placed on respect and compassion towards self and others and on the innate strengths and aspirations each of our guests possess and can be helped to be guided by.

• Individual Therapy
    This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

First Responder Program

Highly-trained clinical and medical staff

Meditation

Dr. Joanna VanVleet

Medical Director

JoAnna VanVleet, D.O., is Board Certified in Psychiatry and Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and a Fellow with the American Psychiatric Association. She attended Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, subsequently graduating with a Bachelors of Arts Degree in Chemistry from Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Florida. Dr. VanVleet graduated from Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Dr. VanVleet completed her four year psychiatric internship and residency training through Henry Ford Behavioral Health System in Detroit, Michigan. She completed a year-long fellowship with subsequent certification in Electroconvulsive Therapy. Dr. VanVleet is the Medical Director for
Waters Edge Recovery Center in Stuart, Florida as well Florida Psychiatry Associates, an outpatient
private practice in St. Lucie West, Florida serving the entire East Coast of Florida as well as Central
Florida.

Dr. VanVleet is a member of the American Psychiatric Association and serves on several committees on behalf of the Florida Psychiatric Society. She is also a member of The American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry and American Society of Addiction Medicine.

Dr. VanVleet is married and resides in the St. Lucie West area. She enjoys reading, gardening, cooking, traveling, exercising, and other activities with family and friends.

Iesha Richards

Clinical Director

Iesha is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor and a certified Masters Addiction Counselor. She is a United States Veteran whose passion for treating those struggling with addiction grew as she witnessed fellow service members as they lost those things that they most valued in their lives as a result of their struggles. She also spent years overseas as a civilian assisting military members and families whose struggles were negatively impacting their overall wellbeing.

Iesha’s expertise is used to assist individuals with becoming aware of their thinking-patterns, how these patterns affect their lives, and promote change, where change is best for a healthier life.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT WATERS EDGE RECOVERY

As its name suggests, Waters Edge Recovery is situated on the waterfront, alongside the St. Lucie River in Stuart, Fla. The facility serves adults who are struggling with substance abuse issues, including those with co-occurring mental health disorders. Treatment options include a partial hospitalization program (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (IOP), along with sober living. The facility also offers medically-assisted detox.

Treatment is tailored to each client’s needs, although a typical rehab program lasts 28 to 45 days. During this time, clients can learn about the nature of addiction, develop their spirituality, or be introduced to the 12-Steps. All clients participate in individual therapy, group counseling, and family therapy.

Waters Edge promotes a holistic approach to recovery. Treatment therefore incorporates yoga, exercise, art and music therapy, meditation, and recreational activities including basketball and ping pong.

Clients in the IOP program take part in nine hours of group activities, workshops, and one-on-one counseling each week and may live in Water Edge’s housing if they choose. Topics covered include relapse prevention skills, how to manage urges and cravings, and others. The program encourages continued employment and community service.

There are also gendered programs for men, women, and young men, and specialized programs for business executives, first responders, healthcare workers, seniors, and chronic relapsers.

Waters Edge’s treatment team includes a medical director, a program director, a clinical director, a trained nutritionist and dietician, and a life coach, along with master’s level therapists and certified addiction counselors.

Waters Edge has rooms with two beds each, and select rooms having a waterfront view Guests can enjoy outdoor seating areas, which offer views of the St. Lucie River. Waters Edge is comfortably furnished with lounge areas and maintains some exercise equipment, but guests are also allowed to use a nearby fitness club.

Alumni reviews for Waters Edge are extremely positive, with 14 alumni to date rating the facility four and five stars out of five for its treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition. All three alumni polled on additional metrics such as the holistic treatment offerings, the staff’s level of experience and training, the connectivity/visitor policy, the cleanliness, the affordability, and the counseling options each gave five out of five stars in all categories.

Alumni comments praised the facility’s serene atmosphere and high-quality care. Alum Elio wrote: “Beautiful place with people that care and make you part of a family.” The only negative review criticized the facility’s high cost.

Three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date also recommended Waters Edge highly, rating it mostly five and a couple times four out of five stars in treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition. Comments praised the staff and soothing atmosphere, although one criticized the facility for its high cost and the other two described its housing and communications between loved ones as merely “okay.”

Two staff members recommended Waters Edge without reservation, with one rating it five stars in treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition. Staff member P.H.M. wrote: “The treatment team are experience, professional and exceptionally talented.”

Waters Edge does not publish its rates online, but its official website notes that most major insurance providers are accepted.

Updated March 2017

Oh look a holiday camp for the rich. Paying big Money does not help you any more than a recover house does. Money and fancy resorts cant cure you. Time and willingness does. so if you think a high end center is the answer to your addiction it is a waste for good money

Both me and my cousin went to Waters Edge. I love this place. They make you feel like you are at home. Everyone really cared about what they were doing.

Great therapists and clinical. Housing is okay. My nephew went to rehab here and he is doing really well. He was pleased with the treatment and had great things to say about the therapists and the staff. feeling like a loved one is safe and in good hands was very important. I would recommend this place to others.

Waters Edge Recovery is an amazing facility. WER made me feel like family. Excellent staff and counselor's that really care

Loved everything about this place! Saved my life and I am forever in debt to them.

Beautiful place with people that care and make you part of a family

Watersedge is a great rehab, The staff treated me like family, I have recommended WE to some of my friends and family in need of help, and will continue to do so, because this place actually cares, thank you everyone at Watersedge!

They were able to take the time my family member needed when they were struggling. i was was never able to get through to her but they were. i was such a blessing. Getting a hold of my wife was sometimes difficult. My wife is a new Woman! She was able to take the time necessary to get her mental falsities in order. she no longer drinks! that is the miracle in and of it self. the family element helped repair our marriage. I'm so grateful my wife chose to go there best place EVER!

Level of care is excellent. I have been to many facilities in the past and never received the individual treatment that was given here at WER. From the techs to the owner everyone was welcoming and went above and beyond what I had experienced at other places.

Staff and treatments were a strength. Cost of treatment was a weakness. This facility was an extremely serene place to help my loved one recover from addiction. There was enough stimulus to keep him entertained and engaged but not too much to overwhelm and push him back into his addiction. The staff was very attentive and helpful to non-patient family members.

The facility has many strengths but my personal favorite was the after care. They continued to be available to me in any way I may have needed after I graduated the inpatient program to ensure my continued success! The facility offered me tons of information about what comes after inpatient so I was able to make the next best choice for my after care.

Offers individualized treatment plans that cater to the specific needs of the client and the staff are very welcoming and friendly. I have been to a few different treatment centers before and never got the care and in depth treatment like did at Waters Edge Recovery. The staff really care about the clients and they show you how to have fun in recovery. Waters Edge Recovery saved my life!

I get to witness on a daily basis the staff at this facility go ABOVE and BEYOND for every client. This is a rarity now a days, but it exists here. I have been to 15 treatment centers, and have worked for 3 different treatment centers. WER is so much more then a rehab. It is a team of people, a family, that is committed to helping others. This has been my experience.

The team at Waters Edge Recovery show compassion and kindness for each and every client. Having been an unpaid volunteer for this organisation I am continually impressed with how the client's welfare and recovery come first, and how often the staff make sacrifices into their own time. Working here does feel like a family.

Waters Edge Recovery helped truly helped me get my life back- they were able to help save me from myself. Before coming here I could barely put 5 minutes together without picking up a drink or a drug. Now I've been sober for over a year thanks to them and their unconditional love and support.

The staff truly cares about long term sobriety and extended treatment. Clinicians are all heavily involved in each individual's treatment plan and continued care. They make everyone feel welcome. I would recommend and have recommended this place to anyone seeking help or struggling with addiction.

As a treatment professional with extensive experience of facilities worldwide; I am truly able to acknowledge that Waters Edge is an incredibly special place. The treatment team are experience, professional and exceptionally talented. I would recommend the facility to anyone motivated to get well.

Through their exceptional quality of care and willingness to go above and beyond, Waters Edge Recovery has consistently proven that each of their clients get the best help they are able to receive.

Amazing place. They treat you like you are special and believe in you even when everyone else in your life stop caring. i found peace there and so much more

First I want to start by saying that Waters Edge Recovery saved my life. When I was in my darkest hour of need, they were there for me. Waters Edge Recovery has shown me how to have a better quality of life. If I had not gone through the program I would not be the father and husband I am today. Thank you for showing me how to live!

I loved this facility. I've been to many and this was the only treatment center that has a 56 day program. The counselors are amazing and very skilled in addiction. I not only learned about my addiction but I learned about myself and how to overcome it. I found the person I truly am. I would recommend this treatment center to anyone that is suffering from drugs or alcohol or even mental illnesses. The group therapy, residency and extra curricular activities are awesome. However, the residency is too far from the center where group is held.

Amazing facility! Continues to offer all the support possible even after you graduate!

I am still giving tough love, but enough love.

Summit Detox