West Pines Behavioral Health - The Recovery Center in Wheat Ridge, CO

3400 Lutheran Parkway
Wheat Ridge CO 80033

West Pines Behavioral Health - The Recovery Center Philosophy

Mental illness and addiction affect millions of people every day. Since 1988, West Pines has provided hope, healing, and recovery for patients and their loved ones. Our qualified medical and clinical teams serve adults ages 18 and older with psychiatric or chemical dependency concerns. We also offer integrated treatment for people with co-occurring diagnoses who are affected by both chemical dependency and an emotional or psychiatric disorder. Our holistic approach to treatment focuses on the physical, emotional, social and spiritual well being of each of our patients.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

Integrated treatment for addiction and psychiatric conditions (co-occuring disorders)

Psycho-educational, motivational, and cognitive behavioral groups

14-day Residential Treatment

ABOUT WEST PINES BEHAVIORAL HEALTH – THE RECOVERY CENTER

Located in Wheat Ridge, Colo., a suburb of Denver, The Recovery Center (TRC) is a residential program that provides short-term treatment for adults struggling with chemical dependency and co-occurring mental health issues. Operated by West Pines Behavioral Health, the facility also has medically monitored detoxification.

Before admission, clients undergo an initial evaluation to ensure The Recovery Center is an appropriate level of care. Its treatment curriculum blends evidence-based treatment methods, 12-step fellowship, and holistic programming to help clients acquire and sustain sobriety. The minimum length of stay at The Recovery Center is 14 days, and family participation is encouraged throughout.

TRC utilizes motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and residents participate in a structured schedule of individual therapy, group therapy sessions, and psychoeducational classes. Clients also attend 12-step meetings and are introduced to the fellowship’s practices. To curb cravings and minimize withdrawal symptoms, medication-assisted therapy may also be recommended (e.g. Antabuse, Suboxone, or Naltrexone).

In addition to traditional treatment methods, clients also participate in acupuncture and daily exercise, which may include rock climbing, strength training, and aerobic activity. Before completion of the Recovery Center’s program, case managers help form individual discharge plans for alumni.

TRC employs a team of addiction psychiatrists and therapists. Case managers also help to guide patients through treatment and assist with aftercare planning. At least one member of the staff is bilingual.

A 20-bed facility, TRC provides a structured, therapeutic environment with comfortable communal spaces, private bathrooms, and shared bedrooms. Emphasizing physical health as an important component of treatment, the program partners with Phoenix Multisport, a nonprofit organization that provides physical fitness programs for individuals in recovery. During treatment, residents also have access to an on-site fitness facility and a ropes course.

When asked, on a scale from one to five, whether they would recommend treatment at TRC, the six alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date gave ratings ranging from two to four stars, for an average of three out of five stars. While the facility was rated an average four stars or above in categories such as cleanliness, family participation, and staff support, TRC received three stars or lower in holistic treatment options and connectivity and visitor policy.

Two criticized the facility for intermixing psychiatric clients with clients seeking recovery from substance abuse. An anonymous alum wrote: “That was somewhat uncomfortable.” But other alumni wrote positive remarks about the facility’s staff. Alum Kevin wrote: “The counselors were friendly and very knowledgeable,” though later adding, “absolutely no follow up care with any medical Doctors.”

On Google, 10 reviewers to date rated TRC an average 3.4 out of five stars, with reviewers leaving mixed remarks about staff’s performance.[1] On Yelp, five reviewers left two one-star reviews, one two-star, one three-star, and one five-star, for an average 2.4-star rating.[2] Reviewers had mixed experiences with staff, with alum Tara criticizing the staff’s lack of knowledge about medication protocol. She wrote: “I asked them if they follow the Ashton protocol for tapering and was met with a confused stare. They didn't even know what the Ashton protocol was.”

Two loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date left TRC contrasting reviews, with one rating the facility a four-star recommendation and the other not recommending the facility at all. The positive reviewer, remaining anonymous, gave five-star ratings in connectivity and family participation and two-star reviews holistic treatment and counseling options. They wrote that the staff was friendly, albeit gossipy, and that the facility accommodated religious differences better than special diets and needs.

Negative reviewer R.F. left few ratings in her review, rating the facility’s pricing only three stars. In a comment, she wrote at length describing an episode where she felt she received condescension from a staff member during a phone call.

Currently, the private pay rate for the 14-day residential program is $9,030. Although the facility does not offer financial assistance, West Pines Behavioral Health accepts most major insurance plans.

Updated February 2017

1. https://goo.gl/ZcCILF

2. https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-pines-behavioral-health-wheat-ridge

Published on March 2017

In our experience, this place has some serious communication issues. We took our son to West Pines last week, but left without admitting him after a truly disturbing phone conversation with one of the staff psychologists, who refused to listen and was insulting and irrelevant. Most of the staff that we met were pleasant and supportive, but the person that West Pines had answering the phone on Saturday tried to intimidate me (the mom) by telling me she has a PhD in Psychology and asking what my PhD is in. I actually have a PhD, although not in psychology, and when I told her so that infuriated her further and she refused to even listen to my question, interrupting me repeatedly, eventually putting me on hold and then apparently disconnecting the call. When I called back (remember I was trying to arrange detox care for a very sick young man) she said that she is a psychologist and therefore knew that I had hung up on her because I didn't like the answers I was getting. This is untrue, of course, because (a) I didn't hang up on her, and (b) she was not providing any answers, as she wouldn't even listen to what I was asking. The underlying issue was that we did not know whether our insurance had authorized our son's admission, and that was what I was calling to try to find out. I figured she was so nasty to me because the insurance had denied admission and that she thought I'd called to argue with her (or didn't care because the facility wasn't going to make any money from us), but a couple of days later I found out that in fact our insurance was willing to cover our son's detox care, but no one from West Pines (who had communicated with our insurance company to try to get the authorization) had told us so. Because our son had underlying medical issues, he was kept at Lutheran hospital as part of his intake process, and we were driven there by West Pines staff. No one at West Pines was concerned that this left me alone late at night wandering around this sprawling facility trying to find my car--they did not even offer me a map to help me get back. The next day the nurses at the hospital kept saying that someone from West Pines would arrive and be able to talk with us, but as the hospital prepared to discharge our son no one had yet materialized, which is why I called the West Pines phone number and got the staff psychologist who treated me so disturbingly. Perhaps West Pines' patient care is all right--we didn't get that far. But their concern and communication with family members, and with hospital staff, in our experience, leave quite a lot of room for improvement. It may well have been a blessing in disguise that they failed to tell us that our insurance had authorized treatment and would likely allow our son to be admitted, as I'm certain that he did not need to be spoken to in the way that I was; if the weekend psychologist with whom I spoke is representative of the clinical staff, I feel that we were far better off taking our son home to detox (although going against medical advice was very stressful) rather than leaving him in this facility with no witness to how he might be treated. Based on the example of arrogance and insensitivity we saw from the staff psychologist that West Pines entrusts with weekend duty, and her nasty and provocative instant psychoanalysis of me, an upset family member whom she had never met, I would have some serious concerns about leaving a vulnerable loved one alone in this facility. When I called on Monday to discuss this with the manager, she did at least listen, although I noticed that she did not ask if our son had survived detoxing at home (the good news is that he did) or express any other interest in his well being. My advice about this facility is to approach with caution, and if your patient complains that they were not listened to or were intimidated by clinical staff touting their (perhaps dubious) credentials, take the complaint seriously. Our experience suggests that this facility tolerates staff who behave in this way.

It was an extremely pleasant place to recover.

Internal Councellers were great but No follow up at all. I ended up 6 months later going to a psychiatrist to be treated for major depression disorder. Fantastic facility. It was brand-new when I entered rehab. The counselors were friendly and very knowledgeable. The only issue I really had was when I left. Absolutely no follow up care with any medical Doctors. Just a thank you and goodbye. I ended up in a deep depression and gained 40 pounds. Im happy to say that I have been sober for seven years three months. I sought out a a psychiatrist after six months. He put me on some medications and I lost all the weight that I had gained. I continue councelling every other week.

Strengths: Caring nurses, clean facility, several treatment options. Weaknesses: Food and nutrition, lack of holistic care options, only saw one doctor one time during 3 weeks of treatment. I was able to receive the treatment that I needed. However, if I could have afforded it, I would have gone somewhere else with a private room, and somewhere that does not mix the psychiatric patients with the substance abuse treatment patients. That was somewhat uncomfortable.

Its Location and professional care were great. I I stayed at the facility for 4 weeks and went through a daily routine and programs.I received great treatment from caring professionals.

There were a couple of staff members that were very caring and helpful. They mix the people who are there for substance abuse with the people who have mental disabilities, they just seem to diagnose and treat everybody the same way without spending much time getting to know them, and the food is not good. The patients need more activities, attention and one-on-one therapy.

Exercise involvement everyday in various ways, great group learning activities and involvement. Admission process was somewhat difficult as the secretary didn't know exactly what she was doing. Used various tools integrated into there treatment program which was helpful for different types of learners. Art is also a part of therapy which was beneficial.

Great working with family members and friends, really good with patient who had a child to allow her to see the child. Friendly staff most of the time. Staff was open to religious differences in clients. Staff did talk about another staff member who was rude with family and the patient which did not seem appropriate. Meal options were limited for special diets and needs. Mostly, it was good and helpful to the client. She learned new coping skills that did not involve narcotics which was the goal towards moving for sobriety.

The Raleigh House of Hope
  • Experiential and Recreational Learning Activities
  • Trauma Focused Therapy
  • Family Education and Support
Alpine Recovery Lodge
  • Beautiful Scenic Utah Mountains
  • Treatment options tailored to individual needs
  • Nature & Experiential Therapy