9 Fragrant Pines Court
Westport CT 06880

Westport House Philosophy

Westport House is a multi-phase sober residential living program designed for to help young men realize their full potential through real world opportunities while supported by peers and a professional recovery team

Our unique program called Phased IntegrationSM helps our young men develop coping skills and resiliency through a process of real world exposure, increasing responsibility and autonomy, and character development.

Phase I of our program builds on the gains made in treatment through goal-oriented action and the practical application of new coping skills to real life circumstances. Upon meeting the goals and objectives of Phase I, residents transition to one of our beautiful nearby Phase II homes. Phase II of our program further refines the skills of healthy living within a framework of independence and accountability supported by a community of peers and a professional recovery team.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Vocational and Academic Planning

Narrative Group and Trauma Focused Group

Specialized for Young Men

Greg Gillam MA

Director of Clinical Services

Gregory has been educated and trained in working with individuals who have co-occurring mental health and addiction disorders. Greg earned his Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology after completing a year-long graduate internship program at Caron Treatment Centers of Pennsylvania. His time at Caron, coupled with personal experiences with loved ones who have suffered from addiction, has culminated in a passion for working in the addiction field.

Greg completed his undergraduate and graduate schooling with high honors and was named to the Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges. While in school, Greg was also named to Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, and Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s most selective collegiate honor society. He has co-authored and assisted in the presentation of research on the facilitation of Adlerian Social Interest in Youth. In his free time, Greg enjoys traveling and spending time with his family.

Ava Diamond LCSW

Primary Therapist

Ava holds a Master’s in Clinical Social Work from Columbia University and has completed intensive trainings in addiction and trauma recovery, emotional intelligence, emerging adulthood, family systems, and motivation. She has over 20 years of experience both in private practice and with non-profit and private mental health organizations serving young adults and their families. Ava uses several clinical models – including EMDR, CBT, DBT, Relational Theory, and Family Systems Theory – to provide the best clinical practice for each client. An accomplished athlete, Ava combines her professional athletic experience with her clinical background to empower Westport House clients and their families to optimize their mental, physical, and professional selves.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT WESTPORT HOUSE

Set in the seaside community of Westport, Conn., Westport House provides sober living housing for young men struggling with substance abuse issues and co-occurring disorders. A part of a comprehensive, "step-down" phase system, the supportive living program combines evidence-based treatment methods, 12-step principles, and a range of recreational activities to transition clients into sober, independent living.

Westport House is a two-phase supportive living program. During the Sober Living phase, clients follow a structured schedule that sets certain goals for residents to achieve, from basic self-care and completing household chores to gaining a 12-step sponsor.

Once a client has 90 days of sobriety and demonstrates an ability for unsupervised living, they transition into a separate sober living home to begin the Independent Living phase. During this phase, clients are expected to gain employment, attend school, or volunteer. Residents continue to participate in treatment sessions.

Along with an immersion into 12-Step or SMART Recovery, clients attend morning and evening support groups, meet with a primary therapists for individual counseling, and participate in specialized groups, such as a Narrative Therapy Group and Trauma Group. Westport House also offers medication management, and the facility holds Family Matters workshops for loved ones.

In addition to clinical services, Westport House emphasizes physical health and recreation as important components of recovery. Activities include playing team sports, kayaking, deep sea fishing, paintball, exercise programs, and attending concerts and professional sports games. Westport House also provides employment and educational support through various community partnerships.

Staff consist of clinical therapists, substance abuse counselors, recovery coaches, case managers, and house managers. According to the facility’s website, many staff members are also in recovery.

Westport House features three adjacent, Colonial-style facilities to accommodate the two phases of treatment. The 6,500-square-foot facility for the Sober Living phase features bedrooms with flat-screen TVs, premium cable, high-speed Wi-Fi, a well-equipped gym, and a chef’s kitchen. Offering both single and double occupancy bedrooms, the house also has secluded stone patios and rooftop decks.

The two 5,000-square-foot Independent Living facilities offer much of the same amenities, and both homes are a five-minute walk from downtown Westport. Residents are allowed personal cell phones and computers once they complete an initial orientation period. Combined, the facilities accommodate 30 residents.

Reception from alumni was largely positive. All four alumni surveyed gave the facility a perfect overall score of five out of five stars, when asked on a scale from one to five whether they would recommend treatment at Westport House to others. Not a single metric evaluated by the four alumni to date received an average rating of less than 4.75 out of five stars, including exercise and leisure, holistic offerings, connectivity/visitor policy, family participation, affordability, counseling options, and the staff’s level of training and experience. The staff and facilities in particular received multiple positive comments. One anonymous alum listed “Nurturing and educated staff, strong family component and beautiful facilities” as strengths of the facility and another wrote: “Food is top notch, very clean and comfortable environment.”

Reviews from the three friends and family polled to date were also very positive. In fact, every loved one surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing said that they would definitely recommend the facility to others. One loved one wrote: “My son entered the care of Westport House in 2014... He remained within their care for a total of eight months and has been sober ever since… Kind and sympathetic staff that still check in with my son to this day. Very grateful for this facilities help, would absolutely recommend their services.”

Family participation and connectivity were both very highly rated, receiving average rating 4.6 and five out of five, respectively.

The only area where loved ones tended to disagree with alumni was affordability, where three loved ones provided either two- or three-star ratings.

Rehabs.com survey data also suggested high employee satisfaction, as all five staffers polled at the time of this writing gave mostly five-star ratings for all evaluated metrics. Although one staff member commented that communication could improve, they wrote: “Great location and very knowledgable staff… Awesome place to work at and to be able to watch those afflicted with addiction grow.”

The current cost of the Westport House is $10,950 per month. Although the facility does not accept insurance, some financial assistance may be available to qualified residents.

Updated January 2017

Published on February 2017

Westport house was more than responsive to the immediate needs of our son. They played a key role in helping our son regain his overall health. He is now a productive person and we see the loving child we have not seen in more than two years. We will be forever grateful to Westport House for everything they did to save our child.

Our son was in trouble. Unable to find his way in the world, he became addicted to drugs. We almost lost him. Westport House helped him find his way back. The understanding and supportive staff gave him the time and space he needed to regain respect for himself and a positive outlook on his life.

Overall my interactions with staff have been positive. On my first night, one staff member took several hours to let me vent, which looking back, probably facilitated me remaining in the program in the early days. Being at the Westport House has allowed me to step back and analyze my career and education options. I've narrowed down my future interests as a result. Other than usual wear and tear from residential use, the facilities have exceeded my expectations and any issues are quickly taken care of.

If someone wants to change their life I'd highly recommend Westport House. This is a true transitional living program allowing people to reintegrate and become functioning members of society. This program allowed me to realize how important sobriety is and gave me a life beyond what I ever imagined. Struggling with mental health issues in addition to addiction, I saw no point in ever living without substances. Living here allowed me grow up, care about myself and more importantly about others. Exceptional staff, food and living conditions. Everyone that works there is truly passionate about their work and you can tell they care.

I felt that the staff during my stay really believed in me and it helped me believe in myself. Staying there was like living in a 5-star hotel for 8 months. I think the most beneficial part was the sense of community I felt within the program and the sober friends I made during my stay. My case manager made a huge impact on my recovery and was one of the most influential people I've met so far in my life.

The Westport House saved my life - it’s something I say to myself almost every day, and I now know it to be true. I entered the program (with significant hesitation) at the suggestion of my rehab therapist after completing a 28 day inpatient program. I felt I was ready to return to normal life after 28 days clean… nothing could have been further from the truth. The Westport House program was exactly what I’d needed, probably since the day I graduated from high school. While the first few weeks were tough, it soon became clear it was the best decision I could have made to get my life back on track. The staff was nothing but supportive and caring. The structured Phase 1 schedule allowed me to receive the clinical care I needed, while learning self-care & life skills under the guidance of residential staff at the house. The turning point in my recovery came about as a result of the relationships I’d built with my case manager, residential coordinators and peers at P1. When I began to feel joy and happiness again during recreation activities with them, the progress I’d been making truly began to grow. Today, my best friends include staff members and fellow residents that I met in the first few weeks of my journey at the WH. 11 months after walking into 9 Fragrant Pines, I have a full-time job, hobbies that I love and the type of people in my life I always wanted when I was active in my addiction. I look back now and understand the importance of all the little things that are a part of the program - A sober part-time job to get started, waking up early & making my bed, being honest with the staff, moving through the phases of the program and finding new ways to enjoy life as a sober person. It all added up to where I am today. To that end, I would recommend the Westport House without hesitation.

This place is an A+ Scam. They charge on heck of a lot of money and provide nothing more than a nice looking home for rich kids. They have virtually no supervision for young men that sit around doing almost nothing all day every day. The one house manager is a yeller so he shows up, yells, and then leaves.

I normally ignore negative comments (and question any website that only has positive reviews) but given the clear intent of this anonymous poster, I feel the need to respond. Like any important decision, ask around. Contact individuals knowledgeable about addiction and treatment services. Westport House has an excellent reputation nationwide and that's ultimately due to the humble, caring and dedicated people who work here. I can count the number of relapses we've had within the past two years. on one hand. We do our best, but when working with young adults, the family is critical to our success. If they're unwilling to do the work, the result is predicable.

Westport house is not living up to there reputation. The place is very expensive for what you get. All clients share a room . The place lacks oversight .many of the outings change at last minute . On the up side if you have the money to spend the food there is good and you do get some activities and TV to watch football.

Intamate setting, safe with beautiful grounds providing and enjoyable experience for young men to recovery from addiction/alcoholism. High staff to resident ratio. phase transitional living with responsibility and accountability being earned over time. well trained staff passionate and knowledgable about recovery. setting and curriculum is designed to challenge the resident's beliefs, behaviors and attitudes surrounding recovery Westport house provides a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for young men trying to recovery from addiction and alcoholism. the phase transition model allows client to earn more responsibility and independence over a period of time as they display in a consistent manor they are ready for it. The intimate setting and location in Westport CT only helps residents feel more comfortable during their stay. Facilities are gorgeous, plant of recreational activities and community support.

Focus on young men. Encourages independence and full participation in recovery. Strong therapy programs and AA opportunities. Staff awareness of residents struggles; good support to work thru issues. Job oportunities in local area. Career advice when needed. Facility focuses on young men with a dual diagnosis. Area of expertise not in severe mental health issues that have led to addiction. My wife and I were uncertain about where to place our son following his 28 day residential program. We knew he was not ready to come home but needed continuing support to assist his recovery. Wesport House enabled our son to continue his journey of sober living day by day while providing him with tools he still uses today. He also made sober friends while at the house that he is still in contact with. My wife and I also benefited from the family programs that Westport House provided and were encouraging about our decision to seek out Al-Anon meetings in our area.

Food is top notch, very clean and comfortable environment Not much to offer mid career aged clients If you are worried that rehab alone isn't a going to help you stay sober, and are between the ages of 18 to 30, Westport house is an excellent place to build a secure foundation for your recovery

Tasty, nutritious food; experienced program staff; strongly encourage family involvement; good case managers; fun sober recreation activities; emphasis on mental and physical fitness; strong supportive structure for early recovery Communication among staff, changing policies (maybe due to rapid growth), lack of non-12-step group participation, restricted resident transportation capacity Sending my son here after he completed a 30-day inpatient program was worth every penny. The staff was very welcoming, and they consistently treated my son and I with respect. In fact, many of the staff members at Westport House today are part of his sober network. My son's case manager communicated with me regularly over the course of his stay. In the first phase of the program, all meals were provided by the house. He developed a strong relationship with his therapist who he has today. The program supported his involvement in AA, and they helped guide my family in being healthy supports to his recovery. The second phase allowed my son to show consistency in his new way of life and establish independence. He was able to resume his education, get a part-time job (which he now has full-time), and take control of his spending. With the help of Westport House, my son was able to find his true self and transform into the sober young man he is today, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Mission statement, staff kindness, facilities, extracurricular activities were good. Communication was poor. My son entered the care of Westport House in 2014 after a strong recommendation from his therapist at Silver Hill Hospital. He remained within their care for a total of eight months and has been sober ever since. Highly recommend attending the Family Programming events, as it helped my husband and I navigate our relationship with our son as he began to restructure his life. Kind and sympathetic staff that still check in with my son to this day. Very grateful for this facilities help, would absolutely recommend their services.

Sending my son here after he completed a 30-day inpatient program was worth every penny. The staff was very welcoming, and they consistently treated my son and I with respect. In fact, many of the staff members at Westport House today are part of his sober network. My son's case manager communicated with me regularly over the course of his stay. In the first phase of the program, all meals were provided by the house. He developed a strong relationship with his therapist who he has today. The program supported his involvement in AA, and they helped guide my family in being healthy supports to his recovery. The second phase allowed my son to show consistency in his new way of life and establish independence. He was able to resume his education, get a part-time job (which he now has full-time), and take control of his spending. His case manager there helped him budget his money and learn how to hold himself accountable. The residents he lived with are some of his best friends today, and he continues to be actively involved in his recovery. With the help of Westport House, my son was able to find his true self and transform into the sober young man he is today, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Easy access to a strong network of recovering men and women. Beautiful facilities, plenty of extracurricular activities, and staff members who go the extra mile.

Terrific Recovery setting for people of all ages. Located in a great area Plenty of support for all who reside there Very positive environment Sometimes difficult in differentiating all clients and their specific needs This program offers a chance to re-integrate into society in a way that benefits everyone involved (family etc.)

Positive support, structure, effective communication, see clients as individuals, able and willing to adapt schedules and support accordingly. Healthy, clean living environment. Focus on addiction recovery rather than primary mental health issues. Young male demographic provided a positive recovery environment. It is Expensive. Communication between staff members when dealing with an issue that extends over shift changes and/or staff hierarchy can be inefficient. Overall very positive experience. Staff always made time to discuss any concerns. Phone calls and emails always returned promptly. Monthly meetings were always kept - relevant staff were available and well informed. Was difficult sometimes to follow staff advice on how long our qualifier needed to stay because of financial concerns but their judgement proved to be sound. Qualifier is still clean and still working his program 9 months after leaving.

Committed staff, operates smoothly, friendly, effective. Communication can improve. Great location and very knowledgable staff. Awesome place to work at and to be able to watch those afflicted with addiction grow

Nurturing and educated staff, strong family component and beautiful facilities.

Individualized treatment plans. Focus on gradual reintegration into all areas of life. Compassionate and experienced staff Diversified rec activities. Tuition can be challenging for all to afford The Westport House is a place where young men leant how to live and enjoy life sober. I have seen the majority of our clients graduate from our program having already reintegrated into their communities with the coping skills necessary to succeed. Unlike most facilities where reintegration happens after they leave.

A waste of money and a scam. All it is is Turning Point but I'm Westport...a sober house with soon to be iop...for 9k a month...give me a break...my friend went here. The staff is a joke, the rooms are not worth the money...this is anot her reason why the current treatment system does not work.

Westport House is a Phased Integration program for young men who have attended 30, 60 or 90 days inpatient treatment. We are nestled in the town of Westport with beautiful facilities and top notch staff. We are a private pay facility which is the way we are able to deliver individualized care. Although we are sensitive to the opinions of those that may be dissatisfied with elements of our program we are constantly improving and growing in order to be a best in class facility. We are always open to feedback and will continue to strive for excellence in order to help those struggling with substance use disorders.

Supportive lifestyle to maintain sobriety, peer support, specialized staff, individualized treatment plan, Staff is available to answer any questions or concerns at any time.

Wonderful sense of community, Always willing to adapt based on client needs and advances in addiction treatment.

Center for Healing
  • Vivitrol available
  • Seen weekly by our physician
  • Medication management