Wilderness Treatment Center in Marion, MT

(4 of 5)
200 Hubbart Dam Road
Marion MT 59925

Wilderness Treatment Center Philosophy

Wilderness Treatment Center offers residential addiction treatment for teen and adolescent males between the ages of 14 and 24. Treatment includes experiential adventure therapy, 12-Step services, family programming, individualized planning, medical supervision, and more. Clients are provided the opportunity to earn high school credits while participating in treatment. Courses provided include physical education, english, social studies, and psychology.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Adolescent Treatment

Individual Treatment

Ranch Environment

Ben Dorrington

Director of Admissions, Counselor, L.A.C.

Ben is a Licensed Addictions Counselor and a native of the Flathead Valley. He has a degree in Psychology from Linfield College and has been working at Wilderness Treatment Center since 2003. Ben is an avid golfer, fisherman and softball enthusiast.

Chase Sewell

Business Development Manager

Since beginning his journey in recovery, Chase has worked with many programs helping adolescents and young adults achieve sobriety. He has spent his career in several recovery residences, an intensive outpatient program as a group therapist, and working with a drug screening company doing field work with clients.

ABOUT WILDERNESS TREATMENT CENTER

Nestled along the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains on a 5,900-acre working cattle ranch, the Wilderness Treatment Center (WTC) is a residential substance rehab for teens and young men ages 14 to 24. The program combines a conventional 30-day rehab stay with a 16- to 21-day therapeutic wilderness exhibition. Co-occurring mental health issues are also addressed, but there are no detox services on-site — clients must be medically cleared prior to beginning treatment.

According to the website, the family-owned, 12-step-minded facility bases its treatment model on “the therapeutic journey from discovery to recovery.” During the first 30 days, clients live on the ranch and participate in therapeutic interventions such as group therapy, individual counseling, psychoeducational lectures, and 12-step meetings both on- and off-site. They also participate in activities such as hiking, equine assisted therapy, rock climbing, and ropes courses. All residents are assigned chores, with tasks ranging from tending the land and feeding animals, to wood working and helping in the kitchen.

After the first month, clients head out into the mountains for a 21-day wilderness retreat, escorted by one of the addiction counselors and a wilderness instructor. There they are faced with the challenges of living without personal comforts and are taught how to camp and make their own food. Clients continue to participate in group and individual therapy while camping. When the three weeks are up, the group returns to the ranch and spends the remainder of their stay processing their wilderness experience and preparing for discharge.

Loved ones may participate in a specialized family week, and clients still in high school can earn up to 2.5 school credits via educational courses.

The facility has a staff-to-client ratio of 1:5, and the clinical team includes a medical director, a consulting psychologist, and licensed addiction counselors. All wilderness instructors are certified wilderness first responders.

Originally built in 1924, the 35-bed ranch houses residents in rustic, single-level log cabins. Of the three alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, two gave the facility five out of five stars for its accommodations and amenities, and one gave the facility four out of five stars.

The three former clients surveyed by Rehabs.com gave Wilderness Retreat Center positive feedback. All noted that the program was serious and takes hard work (“They will make you work for your sobriety,” wrote J.M.J. “This is ONLY for people SERIOUS about recovery”), and an anonymous reviewer described the program as “strict but fair.” The third Rehabs.com reviewer noted having a rough time staying sober since leaving WTC, however they did not fault the program-- if anything, they credited WTC with helping them later in life through harder times. “Even when I have felt the walls are caving in around me, I have clung to my time at WTC as proof I could withstand anything,” they wrote. “Thank you WTC. You taught me who I am and I have carried and conducted myself, despite my struggles.”

Of the six loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, most gave the facility positive reviews. The exception was D.G.D, who gave the facility just one star for its treatment effectiveness and described it as “the most unprofessional program that exists.”

The other five reviewers praised the program for its skill-building activities, its straightforward treatment, and the effectiveness of its wilderness program. “Simple, clear cut, no ability to ‘cheat’ while there,” wrote one anonymous reviewer in a representative review. “No fancy amenities; but I do not believe that those are needed in true rehab. This sticks to the basics of getting clean and getting counseling.”

The one current staffer polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave WTC mostly high ratings, including five out of five stars for its honesty, its patient loyalty, its staff’s level of training and experience, and its willingness to put patients’ interests first. The reviewer also noted that they would recommend the facility to friends, family, and other loved ones.

Fees average $525 per day for 60 days and private insurance is accepted.

Published on June 2017

Our family is so thankful for this treatment center. My son attended at the age of 18 after fighting addiction for several years. It was the beginning of the road to recovery for our family. He also choose to leave the facility after a week, however we did not rescue him and allowed whatever consequences to occur. He decided to return and complete the program. WTC has all the ingredients to begin recovery and help young men who are desperate. The staff is the most qualified and caring people you will find in a rehab center.

The most unprofessional program that exists. My son who was 18 years old attended WTC because they assured us that they are able to handle teenagers who attempt to leave programs and that was not true. After my son left his third time they basically called me when my wife and I were vacationing and said that they are going to drop my son off at a homeless shelter. My son has never been away from our home and they're threatening me to put my son in a homeless shelter? I had my attorney call them which at that point they took him to the airport. Disgusting place and unprofessional in every way.

I went to WTC in 2004-ish(?) at the age of 16. I am now 27. Life has not been easy. I have been to two rehabs since and spent time in numerous jails and years exploring the depths of self-destruction. I have also been diagnosed with an acute and severe form of depression/anxiety/personality disorder and I honestly believe the only thing that has kept a gun out of my mouth after all these years was the life-affirming experience of WTC. Even when I have felt the walls are caving in around me, I have clung to my time at WTC as proof I could withstand anything. As a person suffering from chronic self loathing and low esteem, my mind returns to wilderness solos, clearing avalanche trails and toting a pack half my weight up mountain peaks as a high water mark of my potential. Drug addiction and mental illness are tragic and unpredictable circumstances, so a success rating is inherently unfair to any institution treating them. The odds are against them. But of all the heartache, disappointment, and financial burdens my addictions have caused my family, I dont feel the least bit bad about my time in montana. Money well spent. It's the foundation on which I built what self worth I possess, and a standard to which a hold my ambitions. I remember my legs feeling weak 10 minutes into some hikes out on "trip" and having to labor through one last step thousands of times over. And knowing that perseverance even exists within my person is without a doubt the only reason I'm still here or stand a chance. Thank you WTC. You taught me who I am and I have carried and conducted myself, despite my struggles, with the tiny flicker of hope and self-respect I gained there. My life is not a success story, but I'm here and I'm trying because of you.

Good structure/schedule. Have seen everything since its been open for so long Strict but fair Have been sober over 10yrs. Great facility

Simple, clear cut, no ability to "cheat" while there No fancy amenities; but I do not believe that those are needed in true rehab. This sticks to the basics of getting clean and getting counseling.

Extracurricular activities, individual attention A good mix for the right person

wilderness training as alternative expensive

Not the treatment centers fault. They were excellent, the boy is a hard core addict. Great outdoor experiences. Groups and individual hikes and campouts and etc. Mountain climbing, etc. Also counciling sessions.

its away from civilazion but too far from civilization. its ok but not sure long term.

Adolescent and Young Adult Addiction Treatment.

It's a great place. They will make you work for your sobriety. So, if you aren't ready to get sober, don't go there. This is ONLY for people SERIOUS about recovery.

Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
A Better Today Recovery Services