Wyoming Behavioral Institute in Casper, WY

Individual Therapy
Expressive Therapy

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT WYOMING BEHAVIORAL INSTITUTE

Wyoming Behavioral Institute is a private acute-care psychiatric hospital that treats children, adolescents, and adults for a range of mental and behavioral health problems, including substance abuse. Substance abuse treatment options include detox, inpatient, and outpatient treatment.

The length of treatment varies from case to case, but is generally between seven and 10 days for adult inpatients. Treatment begins with a comprehensive evaluation to help diagnose any underlying medical or biochemical origins of addiction. Each client is assigned an individualized treatment plan that may include individual, group, and family therapy, 12-step support groups, discharge planning, expressive therapy, medication education/management, and psycho-educational groups.

The treatment plan focuses on attainable goals established with the input of the client's family and referring professional, if appropriate. Active family involvement in treatment is considered a critical component of the client’s recovery.

An intensive outpatient program (IOP) meets for three hours, three times a week, in the evening. General outpatient treatment is also offered.

Longer-term residential care is available for adolescents only, at the Pathways residential program, a therapeutic community that offers treatment for a range of mental and behavioral health disorders.

According to the facility’s website, staff includes numerous psychiatrists, nurses, licensed professional counselors, and licensed clinical social workers, plus a chaplain. The two individuals polled on the staff’s level of training and experience at the time of this writing gave it two and four stars out of five.

This is an 85-bed facility. Photographs published on the facility’s website show a somewhat clinical facility with very simple shared bedrooms. There’s a school on-site for elementary, junior high, and high school students.

The single review submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing was very negative. “If you value your life do not go here!! ... unclean, and terrifying!! STAY AWAY FROM HERE,” J.L. wrote.

In addition, secondary reviews sites also yielded mostly negative feedback, with average ratings of 1.9 stars on Google (based on 19 reviews) and 1.5 stars on YellowPages.com (based on nine reviews). [1] [2] On Yelp, the center has received just two one-star reviews.[3]

Recurring criticisms cited overmedication, staff rudeness, a lack of proper care and attention, and a feeling that the organization was more concerned with money than with treating its clients. In a representative review, Yelp reviewer Michelle wrote: “This place is down right wrong. It's scary and not helpful at all… They did not do any one on one therapy, I had to practically beg to see the doctor, and then when I did, she looked at her computer the whole time and didn't even care to talk to me.” Yet Google reviewer Charessa offered more nuanced feedback: “I was over medicated when I was here but it saved my life and they've saved many others, not all the staff are nice but some are.”

The two loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave mixed feedback. Though they both gave the facility four stars for the overall quality of its treatment and its family program, one said they would recommend treatment at Wyoming Behavioral Institute while the other would not, and both reviewers gave the facility lower ratings (of two and three stars) for its exercise and holistic options. There was little correlation in their commentary — one reviewer praised the treatment options but felt treatment was too short, while the other wrote: “Staff, rooms, treatment were weaknesses of the facility.”

The facility has yet to publish insurance details for its inpatient program, but a brochure for its outpatient services indicates that Medicaid and most other forms of insurance are accepted.

Updated September

1. http://goo.gl/lE7uhR

2. http://www.yellowpages.com/casper-wy/mip/wyoming-behavioral-institute-5749249?lid=5749249

3. https://www.yelp.com/biz/wyoming-behavioral-institute-casper

Published on May 2017

I am very disappointed in the services and staff at this facility. I had to admit a family member in a crises situation. I had consent from that family member to access this system but it was to no avail. It took 6 phone calls just to find out who the therapist would be. That person told me that the staff is there to work for the patient as well as the family. I had several questions, none of which were answered. Every time I tried to ask a question, an emergent phone call or page needed to be answered and I was told I would be called back. IF I got a call back, no research had been done and no answers could be given. I was given wrong information. I was told "I do not know that answer" call the night crew, the night crew told me to call the day crew and the day crew got irritated and wanted to know why I was calling with the information that I had. When I explained that I was doing as the therapist suggested I was told my information was wrong and they would talk to the therapist....who promptly called me back and wanted to know why I made the calls that I did....."well, it was because I was doing EXACTLY what I was instructed to do to find the information I was hoping to gain". I was reprimanded by this therapist and told that I had the cell number and should have used it....HUH? I did, I was pawned off, the therapist got called on it and I am to blame? I was then treated like a child who is incapable of understanding. The information that was given to me was always followed by "do you understand what I have told you?" but I still did not get any discussion or answers to the questions I originally had. My family member was discharged, the facility forgot to return the medications that were brought and also did not give the medications that were newly prescribed. I called twice...the cell number that I am supposed to use because it was given to me but no return call regarding medications. No explanations to the family...what was done, why was it done, what is the outcome to be, what should we expect, how do we continue to handle the situation, what meds were changed, how can we obtain long term favorable results, how can we help support our family member as a family? No discussion along these lines...just here are his appointments...do you understand when and where these appointments are? You must call to arrange transportation to these appointments...do you understand that you must call to arrange for transportation? no firearms in the house, lock up medications...do you understand what I have asked you to do? Excuse me but I managed an institutional pharmacy for 20 years and I do know how to listen as well as follow directions. I feel that listening skills are an asset especially in the health care business of all types...although I did not find any staff members at this facility that seemed to be able to listen, understand and possibly act upon information given.I can name a number of staff members that could use some training in listening skills. I am very sad that good money was and will be paid out for such inadequate care, advice, etc.

Affordable and a lot of treatment options but they have a small length.

Staff, rooms, treatment were weaknesses of the facility. They treated my father and he didn't have success there but did at a better facility.

If you value your life do not go here!! ... unclean, and terrifying!! STAY AWAY FROM HERE.

The Raleigh House of Hope
  • Experiential and Recreational Learning Activities
  • Trauma Focused Therapy
  • Family Education and Support
Mountain Peak Recovery
  • Animal Therapy
  • Personalized Meals to Dietary/Nutrition Preferences
  • Holistic Offerings (Yoga, Meditation, etc)