What would you do with that money if treatment was affordable? Find out if your insurance covers treatment now!
Did Peaches Geldof Die from a Heroin Overdose?
On April 7, Peaches Geldof, 25, was found dead in a spare bedroom of the family home. Her body was discovered by husband Thomas Cohen. Known around the UK as a socialite, Peaches was a journalist, television presenter and model.
Just hours after her body was discovered, media outlets began speculating that Peaches’ death was drug related. As it turns out, they were right. Following an official inquest, Detective Chief Inspector Paul Fotheringham stated drug paraphernalia was found in the home and heroin use “was likely to have played a role” in her death. A detailed post-mortem examination later confirmed the presence of heroin.
Details of Peaches’ Death
After unsuccessful attempts to reach Peaches, her husband Thomas grew concerned. He traveled to the family home in England and, upon entering, discovered Peaches’ lifeless body in a spare bedroom. Thomas instantly realized his wife was dead; she was lying on the bed with one leg hanging to the floor and the other tucked underneath her body.
Peaches maintained communication with family and friends before her death. They all claim she was acting normal, giving no reason for concern. In fact, she was allegedly making plans for the future and an upcoming family outing.
Did Friends and Family Miss the Red Flags?
The two apparently fought about Peaches’ unhealthy obsession with the late singer Elliott Smith, who writes almost exclusively about depression and drug addiction. Peaches claimed she felt Smith was a “kindred spirit.”Looking back, there were surely signs of Peaches’ addiction and fragile emotional state. For example, Peaches and Thomas recently got into a heated argument while riding a public train. The two apparently fought about Peaches’ unhealthy obsession with the late singer Elliott Smith, who writes almost exclusively about depression and drug addiction. Peaches claimed she felt Smith was a “kindred spirit.”
What’s more, Peaches had recently begun visiting a local drug rehab center for her heroin addiction. She was allegedly prescribed methadone as a means of medication-assisted treatment. It is not yet known if methadone played a role in her fatal overdose.
A Family Addiction
Peaches’ mother, Paula Yates, also struggled with heroin addiction. She died in 2000 from an accidental heroin overdose. Paula’s body was found in her home in west London. Inspectors later revealed Paula was the victim of a fatal overdose of heroin.
This tragic story illustrates just how powerful addiction can be, especially among those with a family history of the disease.
If you or someone you know is struggling with a heroin addiction, please consider looking for heroin addiction treatment centers in your area.