Use our free and confidential online insurance checker to see if your insurance covers treatment at an American Addiction Center facility.
Top 5 Cities Tweeting About Alcohol… #1 is Shocking!
A new study conducted by The Coalition Against Drug Abuse set out to learn whether or not our large cities are becoming “capitals for certain activities” that could be considered vices (according to social media, at least).
By meticulously analyzing more than 451,484 vice-related tweets from U.S. cities with a population of more than 200,000, researchers were able to pinpoint the top five U.S. cities tweeting (via Twitter) about alcohol-related issues. Tweets related to alcohol were gathered by searching for phrases like “alcohol,” “liquor,” “booze,” “beer,” “rum,” “tequila,” “whiskey,” “vodka,” and “drunk.”
So, without further ado, here are five cities that top the list for alcohol-related tweets per 1,000 residents:
5.Buffalo, NY (1,993 alcohol-related tweets)
With a population of 258,959, other Buffalo statistics include:
- Almost 20 percent of adolescents have used alcohol over the past month.
- Around 19.4 percent of the city’s residents admit to binge drinking.
- Only 3.5 percent ever receive treatment for alcoholism.
- During 2010, alcohol was responsible for a total of 25 deaths and 4 suicides.
- Alcohol is the second most abused substance in Buffalo.
4. Minneapolis, MN (2,046 alcohol-related tweets)
With the city’s population spiking at 382,578, some other notes of interest in Minneapolis include:
- Roughly 46.5 percent of rehab patients cite alcohol as their drug of choice.
- Approximately 18.1 percent admit to binge drinking.
- During 2010, alcohol was responsible for a total of 44 deaths and 7 suicides.
- A whopping 63.6 percent admit to using alcohol in the past 30-days.
3. Boston, MA (2,674 alcohol-related tweets)
With a population of 645,966, residents of Beantown also experience:
- Rates of alcohol-related emergencies are significantly higher than the national average.
- Around 20.1 percent admit to binge drinking.
- In 2010, alcohol was responsible for 143 deaths and 13 suicides.
- Rate of ER visits caused by underage drinking is more than twice the national average.
2. Las Vegas, NV (2,932 alcohol-related tweets)
With a population of 583,756, Sin City’s alcohol data includes:
- Over 41 percent of all rehab facility admissions indicate alcoholism as the primary concern.
- Vegas earned a spot on the list of 10 major US cities with the most bars.
- About 22.6 percent of school-age kids admit to riding in a car with someone who had been drinking.
1. Pittsburgh, PA (3,227 alcohol-related tweets)
With a population of 305,841, Pittsburgh is clearly the king of alcohol-related tweets. Notable statistics include:
- Across the last decade, the number of rehab admissions mentioning alcohol has declined.
- Around 17.8 percent of the city’s residents admit to regular binge drinking.
- During 2010, alcohol was responsible for 143 deaths and 13 suicides.
- In 2013, law enforcement officers in Pittsburgh reported 659 DUIs and arrested 538 people for acts of drunkenness.
Learn more about the dangers of alcohol abuse and addiction.