12 Keys Rehab in Jensen Beach, FL

618 Northeast Jensen Beach Blvd
Jensen Beach FL 34957

12 Keys Rehab Philosophy

12 Keys Rehab Center focuses on holistic, real recovery, and treats clients with a combination of science, spirit, body and family. The 12 Keys model is a multi-track, multi-disciplinary method to treat addiction, mental health, trauma and social issues simultaneously. A licensed and certified professional staff with extensive training in these modalities administers the recovery process. 12 Keys’ low client-to-therapist ratio affords time to identify and treat all of the issues that drive addiction. 12 Keys involves families over the course of treatment to help restore damaged relationships and erase the guilt and other negative emotions that accompany addiction. At 12 Keys, each therapist handles a maximum of a five clients and has the support of The Clinical Director and Medical Director along with 20 other staff members. There is always someone to talk to at 12 Keys.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

• Individual Therapy
    This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

Access to Cell Phones and Laptops

Executive Chef

Waterfront Views

Janie Davis

Certified Addiction Professional

As a certified addiction counselor Janie gained her personal experience of sober living through hours of sitting in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. Through both AA and Al-Anon meetings, Janie's story and unique gentle nature has enabled her to successfully facilitate treatment groups and one-on-one sessions with alcoholic and addicts who suffer from self-esteem and trust issues to substance and personal abuse. With over 6 years of continuous sobriety, Janie's proven ability to connect with suffering alcoholics and addicts allows her to provide clients with the necessary tools to enjoy personal freedom in recovery. She is dedicated to help clients out of the grips of addiction and show them how to maintain long term sobriety.

Keith Gillen

Primary Therapist

Keith Gillen, a Certified Addiction Counselor and Ordained Pastor, is uniquely positioned to help clients recover from the grip of substance abuse because he is a recovered addict himself. Keith provides the healing 12 Keys Rehab client with a holistic, spiritual approach to a real, life-affirming recovery through the rediscovery of hope, love and inner peace.

ABOUT 12 KEYS REHAB

Situated on 10 sprawling acres of seaside property in Jensen Beach, Fla., 12 Keys Rehab is a residential substance abuse treatment center for men and women. It also offers dual diagnosis treatment for individuals with co-occurring mental health disorders, and detox services are provided on-site.

Upon arrival, each client undergoes a comprehensive assessment with a physician. Those in need of medical attention begin medically assisted detox, which is intended to make clients feel as comfortable as possible while they begin to heal. Once detox is complete, the client works with a counselor to develop an individualized treatment plan.

Residents may choose from 30-, 60-, or 90-day tracks. No matter the duration of their stay, clients are introduced to the 12-Steps and participate in a mix of group, family, and individual counseling. The center’s treatment draws from a variety of modalities, including biofeedback, motivational interviewing, and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR).

In addition to traditional treatment methods, 12 Keys Rehab emphasizes the importance of recreation and physical fitness. The facility’s waterfront location allows for kayaking, fishing, horseback riding, and other beach activities.

12 Keys Rehab does not let go of its clients at the end of their stay. Tailored aftercare plans typically include referrals to Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and other community groups, and the facility provides continuing care for both alumni and their loved ones.

According to the facility’s website, 12 Keys Rehab maintains a staff-to-client ratio of about 1:5. The center’s team of certified addiction counselors is led by a medical doctor. Additionally, most staff members are in recovery or have personal experience with addiction.

Residents live in a large, plantation-style house or comfortable cottages; both private and semi-private rooms are available. The home is equipped with screened-in balconies, a large swimming pool, and a patio outfitted with lounge furniture and a hammock. Meals are prepared by a chef in the house’s fully-equipped kitchen, and personal training services, along with regular gym access, are available.

In addition to permitting access to personal cell phones and computers, and offering off-site entertainment options like bowling and movies, 12 Keys Rehab also allows residents regular contact with family, friends, and business associates.

Alumni reviews are mixed. When asked to rate treatment effectiveness, 22 alumni gave ratings averaging 4.23 out of five stars, and for accommodations and amenities, 21 alumni provided an average rating of 4.29 stars. The seven alumni polled on the following criteria gave average ratings of 4.8 out of five stars for family participation and the staff’s level of training and experience; 4.7 stars for opportunities for exercise and leisure, the connectivity/visitor policy, and affordability; and 3.6 stars for the center’s holistic treatment offerings. When asked, on a scale from one to five, whether they would recommend treatment at 12 Keys Rehab to others, the seven alumni gave an average rating of 4.9.

Many praised the integrated and individualized approach, and several described the facility as life-changing. For example, in her five-star review, AA girl told Rehabs.com: “Ive been to treatment before and was treated like a number. I love the intimate setting. they made me feel like family when I had none." C.F., also a Rehabs.com reviewer, echoed this sentiment, writing: “This rehab is great because it is small and they focus on you!"

A handful of reviewers cited clerical errors, unqualified staff, and too much focus on AA principles.

Overall, loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date provided 12 Keys Rehab with strong ratings; treatment effectiveness received an average rating of 4.45 out of five stars from eleven friends and family members. The only areas where loved ones gave conflicting survey responses with alumni were the categories of family participation and connectivity/visitor policies (four out of five stars vs. 4.8 and 4.7, respectively) and affordability (3.9 out of five stars vs. 4.7).

Those who were satisfied with their loved one’s care described the staff as “friendly” and “caring,” and the facility itself as “great.” One anonymous Rehabs.com reviewer wrote: “It helped my brother a lot, he was happier there than he had been in years.”

Criticism tended to address poor levels of family involvement and communication.

At the time of this writing, Rehabs.com received feedback from two staff members. H.M. touched on a lack of resources: “All about money,” he wrote, adding: “techs do family sessions -staff does not have proper work experience-hired right out of that rehab. The property was pretty but staff and management were not that great.”

According to the facility’s website, 12 Keys Rehab accepts most insurance plans, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, United Healthcare, and others.

Updated March 2017

Published on May 2016

12 Keys is not only a center that focuses on rehabilitating people in the most spiritual ways possible, but it is a place and an environment that truly shows compassion, love, and understanding. I, like everyone who goes there, or who has gone there, had my own unique story and issues, but each and every story that comes to 12 Keys, in my humble opinion, helps the others around them heal and learn from each other. My experience was second to none. To whomever has the privilege to go there, just know that you will be loved, and people will see you and hear your voice. P.S., 12 Keys and the incredible staff will always hold a special place in my heart.

Friendly atmosphere. Great people. They just care. Can be a little too close for comfort sometimes. Just give it a chance.

This facility was great.

The availability to work with sober mentors and learn how to apply the 12 steps. Not going to outside 12 step fellowships. I would highly recommend 12 Keys Rehab to anyone who is serious about learning how to get and stay sober. It does not have so many clients that an individual does not receive one on one treatment.

Small program with focus on clinical care of the clients and provide all resources so the client can attain a life of sobriety. Individual cabins for clients to reside in, professional chef and relaxing atmosphere on the water. Strong focus on family engagement with both individual sessions and group sessions.

trauma, co-occurring, very strong 12 step in conjunction with evidence based treatment options and planning, emdr, medication management, multiple molimitationdalities available to suit individual needs. limitations on medical services to offer non ambulatory clients as we are not an institutional provider. we are proud of the fact that we do not offer luxury services as entitlement is a barrier to recovery. 12 keys has an atmosphere of compassion for the sick and suffering as all of our employees have struggled with alcoholism, addiction, unresolved trauma and the myriad of issues that contribute to the complexity of recovering from the hopelessness that envelopes the mind, soul and body of those struggling with addiction and alcoholism. we have a dedicated team waiting to help lift up and assist those wanting to change and ready to start living life again free from the desperation of addiction.

True 12 Step program resulting in Real Recovery. Great food and plenty of it. Gym provided, as well as fun activities on weekends (eg. deep sea fishing, horseback riding on the beach etc.). Comfortable setting on the water with pool and fishing pier. Dual Diagnosis program enabled my self awareness and helped get to root(s) of my addiction. In depth discharge and aftercare planning. Staff truly cares about clients and while honest and straightforward, compassion is constant theme.Not hospital or institutional type setting, so if acute medical needs (eg. wheelchair etc.), not the place for you or loved one. 12 Keys provided too many teachable moments to count. I cannot thank them enough for providing a humble recovery program and for giving my children their father back.

Client progress is of utmost concern. They meet you where you are. Very individualized treatment. I felt everyone truly cared about helping me to achieve longterm recovery. I felt like the counselors understood me since they have been where I was. The environment of the residence is very relaxing and tranquil. I am a local resident, but during my stay I felt like I was a million miles away from the world I was living in my active addiction. It was like a safe bubble I could be in. I still interacted with the world on a daily basis, but I felt like I was protected from relapse at the same time. I have and will continue to recommend 12 Keys to anyone who needs substance abuse treatment. I just celebrated 5 years of sobriety and I no doubt count 12 Keys as the reason that I can say that. There is very little that I would consider as a weakness for 12 Keys. Maybe they could be a little more consistent with some of their policies, and a little better organized. But overall, I loved it and thought it was the perfect place for me to have started my path to recovery. My experience at 12 Keys literally changed my life. I came in a broken individual with no joy in my life and no idea how to change that. When I finished treatment almost 90 days later, I was a changed person. I had a solid start in recovery. I knew what I had to do, and I had the tools to do it thanks to 12 Keys. They did everything they could to help me reach my potential and I just recently celebrated 5 years in sobriety. So I would say that they know what they are doing. I have recommended 12 keys to relatives and friends, and have seen their lives positively changed by their experience as well. I would recommend 12 Keys to anyone who is ready to start their journey to a life better than they can imagine.

The facility isn't filled with young adults who disturb other individuals recovery, its a program for adults who are serious about changing their lives for the better. No nonsense. Older facility with outdated accommodations but located on a beautiful/matured piece of waterfront property. Amazing staff with excellent clinical services.

The team there have all been through the 12 Steps and truly care and help try an make an impact on each individual. The gym hours are hard to make it because of how early it is. 12 Keys is a place to me where there is true depth of care that everyone receives no matter how hard they are struggling or not struggling. The food is to die for we had fresh fish, steaks, anything your requested you got the chefs are so understanding and also in recovery. You are completely surrounded around people that truly care about getting you healthy and not how much money they can make from you.

This place saved my life! Before I got here I had lost all hope in myself, God and recovery, after a long series of relapses addicted to crack and heroin. I had initially decided to go here because of the great reviews about hanging on the beach and by the pool with great food. I thought I was going on a vacation. While the food and recreational activities turned out to be all that were promised, that was only the icing on the cake. The true gift of this place was the renewed hope I was able to gain in all the areas of my life I had lost. 12 keys allowed me the opportunity to grow spiritually, physically and mentally, and provided a strong atmosphere of recovery. The staff was amazing and all of them had time in recovery. They helped me to feel understood while also helping me to learn and grow from their experiences. I thank God every day for helping me find 12 Keys!

Beautiful and serene setting, most of the staff are great people who really seem to care. However, the entire staff and management are recovered addicts themselves, which means they still have addict-like tendencies; I voiced my uncertainty about my treatment and was told to leave, in a rude and frustrated manner, instead of asked how I could be better accommodated. Before I was told to leave, I'd had been expecting a piece of mail with a few hundred dollars in it, which I had stated would be arriving after my dismissal and it would need returned and sent back to my mailing address, since I wasn't allowed to stay and receive it. In the months following, I've made countless phone calls and have left numerous emails to 12 Keys in regards of having that piece mail containing money returned to me...My phone calls are ignored and my emails left unanswered. Although it looks like a nice place, it truly is all about the money. If you choose treatment here, keep your belongings close and mail content to yourself.

A dump!! Don't let the pictures fool you. It's run down and spooky creepy old. The counsellors are not professionals. Ex users. 2 are very sweet but no experience. Waste of our money. And they do not even follow up to see how your kid Is doing after leaving? And Getting insurance refund was like pulling teeth. Do not go there! "The nurse" is incompetent as well. So disappointing and not cheap.

It saved my life. Nearly 3 years later, I look back at my time at 12 Keys with much gratitude.

they seemed to get him help right away.

Some staff were great. Lack of adequate communication between staff client and family. Internal discontent affects clients.

Good Food but no time out the facility

beautiful location and in-depth customized service, very nice rehab centre in a beautiful location, the staff are very welcoming and supportive.

helpful,friendly,useful,loving. keep up the good work! they helped my family member in so many more ways than theyll ever know with great staff briungs great possibilities in helping so many needy peoiple

Good place. To recover but Not family oriented. I got treated it was hard at first. But I kept. Pushing

You learn a lot about addiction, recovery and yourself. The facility was dirty, unmaintained, and many people had a lot of relapses during the stay. They take a completely religious approach towards healing. You must decide there is a god and that he wants to help you in order to succeed.

communication, respectful, passionate, caring, were all strengths. for people who seek a rehab that will support them and not judge them, then 12 keys is perfect for them. people who need help so be optimistic and willing to get better

Strengths: -Personal attention -Great Facilities - Access to nature -Private Bathroom. Is a little difficult to get in but nothing big. My cousin was here and he really got the help he was needing, we are very grateful with 12 keys rehab because they give us him back recovering from all his problems.

Very caring, nice, helpful

Very personal. Close attention to patient needs. Programs are very organized. Rehab was rough. Not sure I can blame it on anybody but myself. Very trustworthy staff with kind hearts. They actually care about you. Life saving facility.

Garbage. The property is beautiful and the meals are great but the staff are recovering addicts themselves so naturally they are all about control. They didn't help with any issues underlying substance abuse. Also, they CONFIRMED my insurance would cover everything and I was just recently sent bills stating that I was being charged for my stay and insurance wouldn't pay for it, although the ambassador claimed it was verified and confirmed.

I personally found 12 keys to be extremely helpful to the initial base of my recovery... They gave me a guide for living and I will forever be appreciative. I visit them about twice a year to show my gratitude.. I find it upsetting that some people have negative things to say about them. It coincides with how they are living their life. Sometimes it is easier to blame the people that are trying to help us instead of accepting the help openly.. I was an expert at blaming other in the past .. Another thing 12 keys helped me with! God bless!

12 keys has saved my life. I was at a point where i wanted to just kill myself. The clinical team recognized this and helped me so much. It was a serene place to relax and do what I needed to do for me to begin my recovery. I thank God for 12 keys. The owners and the staff all understood and helped me so much.

This rehab saved my life! I've been to treatment before and it never worked. I can't tell you why it worked but it did. I am living my life today clean! I never thought in my life I'd accomplish all that I have. This rehab is great because it is small and they focus on you! You can get what you want out of this if you try! Recovery is worth fighting for. Check out this place. Much love for everyone there!

Clinical and administrative staff are not effective communicators with client and the family. Location and amenities were nice. However, there was a lack of effective communication.

They seemed to get him help right away. My brother said it was good.

Don't believe all the hype they have on their site. Not as country club as they present. Basically AA 12 steps with the world's most boring sessions. Lot of sloganeering, with little substance. Warning: Do not let then know you have half a brain. They are intimidated.

All about money-techs do family sessions -staff does not have proper work experience-hired right out of that rehab. The property was pretty but staff and management were not that great.

It helped my brother a lot, he was happier there than he had been in years. Friendly staff helpful. However, it was pricey.

All about money...Staff has no work experience and hired right out of that rehab

I went to 12 keys two times. The first time I was certainly not ready for recovery and had a very bad attitude, however when I called to go back the second time I was given a warm welcome back. The staff was very helpful, the living facilities were beautiful, I was able to go fishing on the ocean, the food was top notch, and the treatment staff was unbelievable. I have recommended them to friends and family. This December will be 3 years sober!!!

12 keys saved my life. It will help so many people if they stay the course and stay convicted to honest and altruistic principles. I'm still not sure how I ended up there but I can tell you that I'm really grateful that I did. I don't think I had a chance anywhere else. I'm grateful for the unique treatment plan focused on MY individual needs. My life surely depended on it. The staff was also amazing and so in tune with the needs of someone going through this challenging transitionary time. Since everything is focused around personal growth and rehabilitation of your body, mind and spirit it makes the impossible actually seem possible. What I did not have, going in, was hope. What 12 keys gave me back was hope for a better life. I have my life back and for that I am eternally grateful.

Ive been to treatment before and was treated like a number. I love the intimate setting. they made me feel like family when I had none. love you guys &gals.

12 Keys showed me how to achieve permanent sobriety! In 6 month I will be celebrating 4 years clean and sober.

Detox protocol is below standard...all about money. Staff has zero work experience and are hired right out of that rehab.

Recovery Boot Camp for Men
  • Treatment for drug and alcohol addiction, and co-occurring disorders
  • Rigorous coursework and life skills training
  • Group and individual counseling sessions
Recovery First