Above It All Treatment Center

28200 CA-189 J100, Lake Arrowhead, California, 92352

4.3

About the Facility

Above It All Residential Addiction Treatment Center offers clinically proven treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. We accept most private health insurance and offer flexible financing options to help pay for treatment. Our clients love us- 84% of past clients surveyed said they would recommend us to a friend or family member. Our treatment staff are a hand picked group of licensed professionals with decades of combined experience and certifications ranging from MFT's to PhD's and MD's. A day in the life of our clients consists of eating chef prepared meals, experiential activities such as yoga and hiking in our scenic location to promote healing of the mind, body and spirit. Clients get to the underlying causes of their addictions in group and individual therapy then return to our luxurious cabin-style residences. Our clients are treated like the adults that they are- with respect, dignity and empathy. Our industry leading treatment outcomes show that change is possible for anyone who is willing to do the work, and Above It All is dedicated to connecting with each and every client to help them achieve long-lasting sobriety. Contact us: https://aboveitalltreatment.com/contact-us See our facility: https://aboveitalltreatment.com/the-experience

Medically Assisted Detoxification

Clients are provided medically assisted detoxification to ease withdrawal symptoms in a safe, therapeutic environment for maximum comfort. Clients are provided medication such as Suboxone® as needed.

Life Skills Training

Clients who have successfully completed the first phase of treatment are invited to participate in a comprehensive life skills training program. Program offerings include themes such as medication management, financial planning and budgeting, resume writing, time management, job interview preparation, meal preparation, and more.

• Group Activities
  • Swimming and Boating
  • Nature-Based Activities
Paul Robertson

Paul Robertson

Executive Chef

Paul Robertson is Above It All’s head chef and kitchen manager. Paul has been a culinary chef for 15 years. Paul’s favorite part about working for Above It All is that he gets the chance to help change and save lives. He enjoys being able to comfort our clients through nutritional home cooked meals. Paul takes pride in knowing his meals help our clients feel at home and loved. Paul enjoys the freedom of being himself and feels most alive when he is sharing hope to those in recovery. Paul loves to hike and hunt for giant pinecones. He has competed in The “Worlds Biggest Pinecone” Contest and is known as the Pinecone King!

Show Bio
Mary Tabooda, MA, MFT

Mary Tabooda, MA, MFT

Therapist

Name: Mary Tabooda, MFT Title: Therapist Education: Studied Marriage and Family Therapy. Received her Masters Degree in Counseling and is a licensed MTF (marriage and family therapist) About: Mary describes herself as a "simple unique person with a humble personality". She loves to help others, which is a perfect fit for her profession as Marriage Family Therapist. Personal Interests: Mary is an avid writer, particularly fictional stories for youth and teens.

Show Bio
Financial Details
  • Financing Available (Clients and Loved Ones Welcome to Apply) Easy, Online Application: goo.gl/NJOiEL

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT ABOVE IT ALL TREATMENT CENTER

Located on the banks of Lake Arrowhead in California’s San Bernardino Mountains, Above It All (AIA) offers medication-assisted detoxification and residential treatment for adults struggling with substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. AIA is among 26.9 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities in the state accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).

Some clients come to AIA following an intervention conducted by the center’s staff. Most treatment programs begin with detox. Individual client treatment plans may address co-occurring behavioral challenges, such as anorexia, gambling, and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Residents participate in personalized, 12-step treatment plans that include individual and group therapy sessions along with life skills development, nutritional education, yoga, meditation, and outdoor activities.

Additional AIA services include assistance with legal issues, a transitional sober living program on-site, and aftercare planning.

AIA employs master’s level therapists, registered alcohol and drug technicians, and licensed vocational nurses. Several treatment team members, including the hands-on founder and CEO, are in long-term recovery. To date, the 17 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter praised the facility's staff.

Staff's Level of Experience and Training: 4.8/5

Living accommodations are in rustic, cabin-style homes, where residents share bedrooms. Cozy common areas represented in facility photographs feature fireplaces and views of the woods and lake outside. On-site chefs prepare meals. Overall, individuals polled by Rehabs.com lauded the accommodations.

Facility's Cleanliness and Upkeep: 4.8/5

The 14 alumni who submitted reviews of AIA to date provided largely positive feedback: 10 positive, four negative. Most of the seven alumni polled extensively by Rehabs.com offered consistently favorable opinions, specifically for the facility's counseling options, though gave more moderate opinions regarding its holistic offerings. A majority also indicated that they would strongly recommend the facility to others.

Counseling Options: 4.6/5
Likelihood to Recommend the Facility: 4.4/5
Holistic Offerings: 3.7/5

Alumni praised the caring, understanding treatment they received; structure of the program; beautiful location; and long-term, life-saving results they achieved. Others characterized staff members as rude and one expressed concerns about medication. A negative reviewer, C.B.D., criticized management’s focus on money, yet wrote: “The atmosphere … is great, and if you really want change you can get it.”

On secondary review sites, feedback was largely positive to date: 4.2 out of five stars based on 29 reviews on Google, 4.5 stars based on 105 reviews on Facebook, which the organization can manage, and a three out of five-star average based on 14 recommended reviews on Yelp. [1] [2] [3]

Positive comments reflected those identified by Rehabs.com: personalized attention; compassionate, dedicated staff; and long-term, life-saving sobriety.

Five reviews submitted by loved ones to date yielded mixed results, skewed to the positive: three were overwhelmingly positive, two negative. Three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com provided more granular feedback, offering perfect five-star ratings for the level of family participation, as well as four- and five-star ratings for the facility's counseling options.

Satisfied loved ones praised the staff, personalized nature of the program, and environment. Matt, a negative reviewer, question billing practices. A separate write-in reviewer warned about unmet promises and medical mistakes, which they claimed resulted in the death of their loved one during detox at the facility.

Rehabs.com has received eight very positive reviews and no negative feedback from the staff to date. Seven polled by Rehabs.com provided more detailed impressions, praising almost all elements of the facility .

Level of Family Participation: 5/5
Counseling options: 4.9/5

AIA accepts most PPO and HMO in-network plans and other insurance, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, and United Healthcare. Financial assistance is available through a partnership with a healthcare loans company. The facility offers a guarantee to qualified individuals who have completed an AIA 60-day residential program or 90 days of outpatient treatment authorized by AIA: access to 30 days of treatment free of charge. Overall, the 17 individuals polled on the matter approved of the cost.

Affordability: 4.4/5

CONCLUSION

AIA has received attention in local news outlets for four deaths associated with the facility. A March 2017 Alpenhorn News story reported the death of a client on-site while detoxing. It also mentions three pending lawsuits related to previous deaths. AIA’s CEO is quoted about facility’s medical protocol and staffing, which go “above and beyond the requirements.” No further information is available.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/aboveitalltreatmentcenter/reviews/?ref=page_internal

[3] https://www.yelp.com/above-it-all-treatment-center-lake-arrowhead

Accreditations & Licenses
  • NAATP
  • CARF
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

4.3/5
    4.4/5
    4.2/5
    4.3/5

• Lm
    Best experience of my life
  • Amanda
    I really loved going to treatment here! Everyone was so nice and genuinely cared about my needs. Thanks to the great start I found at Above It All, I now have 14 months sober and I'm on my way to a brighter future.
  • Lynn
    BEWARE OF THIS PLACE and if you need help, thoroughly check out other places, but DON'T GO TO Above it All or any of their other facilities. I refuse to give this place any part of a star. They promise a lot but deliver NOTHING. This facility is in a remote place and there is no doctor there. Please don't go to this place and don't send any loved ones to any facilities owned by them.
  • Brad
    I owe my life to Above it All treatmeant center! Without the help, education care that I received from their amazing treatmeant team & staff, I do not think I would be alive today! I am currently 3 years clean & sober from alcohol, cocaine & meth. Their treatmeant doesn't end when you leave treatmeant, I am still in contact with counselors & staff that are invested in my recovery. I traveled from Michigan to California for treatmeant because of the lack of quality treatmeant programs in Michigan. Even though it sucked to be away from everyone I knew & loved, it allowed me to do actually work on myself and to understand recovery. Best decision in my life going to AiA without them I would of never of gotten to be with my family, which I get to now because of their help getting clean & sober and teaching me how to live a life in recovery!
  • ryan
    this place has really turn my life around, at the time they kept saying things will be better and all I rmember saying to myself was like yea what ever u say. the fact is they where rite things do get better when u surrender and that is what I did this place has taught me a lot, and it is true that there is some kind of spiritual things going on that mountain cant even explain it but im truly bless to have meet the staff there and they are family and I would recommend any one suffering to try AIA
  • Mike
    On March 9 th I can proudly say I'm 4 years sober thanks to the staff at AIA and my continued support groups 😀😀😀
  • RRMC
    Big joke of a place to go !! Rude, manipulative, deceiving, uncaring !! They continually tried to start me on taking new medications...They forced me to go to the hosp and get heart tests done and I had NO heart problems before or while there ! They wouldn\'t let me decide if I wanted the tests or not !
  • SB
    Compassion and professionalism. The staff genuinely cares about the client's well being, and go above and beyond to make sure the clients are com This facility is top notch I had a family member struggle with addiction who had several failed attempts at other treatment centers. I felt confident enough in the staff and program at AIA to entrust my loved one there. She completed the program and has been successful in her recovery ever since.
  • JLH
    Loving staff, environment/locale. The feed back that I have had from former clients has one common denominator, that our staff is loving and dedicated and meets our clients where they are.
  • KS
    Kind, loving, supportive staff members, structured groups, great communication with families. Due to the structure of the program the facility fills up quickly and we have had to turn people away. I think Above It All Treatment Center is one of the best programs around with the most caring staff! I have watched time and time again as this program goes above and beyond for its clients and provides them with treatment that works.
  • Aaron
    Great place with excellent staff Sometimes we care about clients to much I have worked with this facility for over two years now and I have never worked with a group of people that are so caring, understanding, honest and ethical.
    Compassionate, well trained staff Staff works as a team to address and prepare individual clients' needs.
  • CL
    They have a very comprehensive treatment program. The staff is well trained and the facility is run with integrity. From the first call to the aftercare, the staff really cares about you and your recovery.
  • AM
    Located in beautiful mountain setting with spectacular views, Above it All will help clients recover from Physical, mental, and spiritual addiction. Genuine and compassionate staff who truly care will share your burden, provide you with the essential tools to get and stay clean, will provide laughter and tears and stand beside you and share in your success. Currently do not have a female program. I have seen so many broken people walk, limp, and crawl through our doors seeking reprieve from active addiction. Our team stands by them, counsels, them, and guides them. They are made whole again by the time they leave. They have a sparkle in their eyes, a smile on their face. That's what happens at AIA.
  • WRT
    They treat each client with Love and Respect. Because it is such a large facility sometimes they can't get everyone in. I have been sober for 893 days today thanks to Above It All Treatment Center and their staff.
  • HO
    Family atmosphere. Staff is very caring, and involved.
    Compassion, Understanding, Experience were nice. I have worked with AIA for roughly 6 months. The clinical care is second to none which never comes at the expense of fair and equal treatment. Patients are treated with compassion, respect and understanding. Our amenities are clean, safe and comfortable for patients. With us, you are never just a number, you are our family and we treat you as such :)
  • EP
    Private homes nestled in a gorgeous mountain setting, chef prepared meals catered towards healthy living, strong local 12 step meetings, fun diverse weekend activities, individual counseling that is customized for the individual, groups geared towards sustaining sobriety, extremely supportive staff and amazing peer to peer support. If you aren't okay with a small town feel, this might not be the place for you. This is not like other treatment programs, this is a place where you can come to get clean and sober and learn to stay that way. AIA isn't just about getting clients sober, but really focuses on helping clients with their underlying co-occurring issues as well as incorporating family and friends into a client's individualized treatment plan. Not only is this place affordable, but it has the feel of beautiful high end mountain resort. The most important thing is the staff, local 12 step community and your peers help to build you up and show you life after addiction.
  • William
    I have 893 days sober thanks to Above It All Treatment Center. As a client I was treated with Love and Respect.
  • Tami
    Never before have I ever worked with a group of individuals that truly care for the well being of every addict that walks through our doors. The staff is very committed and take great pride in sharing our own struggles, strengths and hope with every addict when ever needed. I have been blessed to work for Above it All and continue to see many addicts leave with a new outlook on life while living in recovery from their addictions.
  • Steve
    5/2016 Bottom line. Above it all saved my life. My body and spirit were shutting down completely and the day I picked up the phone, and got there a few days later saved me from certain death. I was a severe alcoholic for many years and had gone through extremely tough times that led me to depend mentally and physically on it. I never thought I would make it through the withdrawal and most of all to feel back to what people call \"normal\" but as I\'m approaching my 1 year milestone this month May 16th, I cannot describe how finally after a decade of being an addict I am Free! Everything I could only dream of is coming true and is only getting better. I did it by taking one day at a time, not stressing over the things I cannot change, praying and making that initial scary step to call AIA which I owe my life to. To all those who thinks it\'s going to be too hard, are scared, maybe pushing it off, can\'t see any light in their lives.. Do not think, Do it. I promise it can and will get so much better. But only You can take that first step. Know you\'re not alone and God bless. And again forever, thank you Above it all for the amazing staff, great atmosphere, good times and for saving and getting my life back! Best wishes, Steve Sober Date5/19/2015 Exit/Graduation Date 7/18/2015
  • Christine
    We are a small, personable, effective treatment program that is set in a comfortable, home-like atmosphere. We include family and friends to insure that our client has strong support both during treatment and after discharge.
    Their ability to customize programs based on strengths of individuals was a strength of the facility. The inability to include more family time was a downfall. I feel this center is geared for those who arent completely lost. this is geared for people who want to have a normal life again.
  • mjh
    Bull. You really wanna know what's going on? I'm paying a ton of money for treatment that I never got. The whole thing is a sick joke.
  • Sunnie
    Strengths: Caring, understanding, structure. However, Very strict on fraternization. Above it All provide the knowledge I needed to understand my disease and helped me build a foundation I could stand on with the tools and strength to maintain my sobriety at home.
  • Kimberly
    It is in a beutiful location, in the mountains in Lake Arrowhead, California. The clinical team is is unbelievable. It is gender specific. The groups were small. Individualized treatment plan. I relapsed after many years clean and sober and had been to many treatment programs. This program saved my life. My children have their mother back! I would recommend this program to anyone!!
  • Molly
    Everything this program does is great! I wish my insurance would cover longer. My experience here was awesome! When my insurance stopped covering, they even helped me find another program that I could get into.
  • matt
    Wife signed up for 28 days to rehab off xanax. After 12 days she was okay and decided to go home against their wishes. They said if she left she is on her own with NO assistance with flight or taxi. Once she got home she was.totally fine but they still billed our insurance for 30,000 dollars. All they care about is the money. Bottom line!!!!! The first two days of my wife\'s rehab she was on a couch because they didn\'t have a bed for her. But.....they wanted her out there asap so they could make 30,000 for 12 days of rehab!
  • CBD
    Some of the staff were great to talk to and relate to. They helped you through some of your issues. However, it was all about money and staff members not wanting to help the next person just wanting to fill the next bed. All in all, the atmosphere in which it is placed is great, and if you really want change you can get it, but you'll have to work hard
  • Matt
    I got pneumonia three weeks ago at this rehab and ended up in the hospital for 7 days. I still have not gotten back my personal items back including a laptop. I\'ver called and emailed a half dozen times. The lady who is supposed to be taking care of getting my stuff back has been completely unresponsive. I will update this if they ever get my stuff back to me.

Nearby cities with more treatment facilities: