Action Family Counseling in Piru, CA

Call () - to Contact Action Family Counseling

691 North Main St.
Piru CA 91350

Action Family Counseling Philosophy

Action Family Counseling employs a multidisciplinary approach to chemical dependency treatment, providing residential care, intensive outpatient services, and partial hospitalization to those struggling with addiction in Southern California. Action Family Counseling provides daily addiction education groups focusing on themes such as relapse prevention, addiction as a disease, personal relationship development, peer problem solving, behavioral triggers, and 12-Step principles. In addition to group work, clients are encouraged to attend individual counseling sessions to develop skills for independent living, personal growth, stress management, decision making, communication, and more. Loved ones are encouraged to assume an active role in individuals’ recovery by participating in family therapy sessions.

• Rejuvenating Excursions
    Clients are invited to participate in regular outings to scenic locations for holistic recovery. Excursions include outings to picturesque beaches, day trips to Lake Piru, and rejuvenating outdoor walks and hikes.

• Exquisite Residential Amenities
    Located in an exquisitely appointed two-story manor, Action Family Counseling’s historic residential facility features an early 19th-century colonial revival structure complete with an idyllic patio and second story balcony nestled above century-old foliage. Once a high-end bed and breakfast, Action Family Counseling has transformed the premises to serve as an enriching and rejuvenating setting for enduring recovery.

Individual Therapy

Individualized Treatment

Identifying behavioral triggers

Cary Quashen

CEO/Founder

Cary Quashen has dedicated the past 30 years of his life, reaching troubled teens and dysfunctional families with the objective of passing the wisdom and expertise he has obtained in his 36 years of sobriety. Quashen provides evaluation, assessments and interventions to parents, school districts and the juvenile justice system. Cary has become a nationally recognized expert working with adults and adolescents struggling with addiction to drugs and alcohol.

John Poleno

Program Director

John has have been working with Action Family Counseling for over 7 years, beginning as an intern in 2010, and ultimately working my way up through the company to my current position of Program Director for both our Piru Residential and Simi Valley Intensive Outpatient facilities. My passion for working with individuals who suffer from substance use disorders and the loved ones affected by addiction stems from my own personal experience with addicted family members, and as a clean and sober addict in recovery since 2007. My dedication to helping addicts and loved ones repair and recover from the damages that result from substance use extends beyond my professional life, with active volunteer involvement in our local community schools, events, and as a board member with the addiction awareness non-profit Not One More.

ABOUT ACTION FAMILY COUNSELING – PIRU

Located within minutes of Ventura County’s Lake Piru, Action Family Counseling (AFC) in Piru offers residential treatment for adults struggling with drug and alcohol addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. This center is one of many AFC facilities in Southern California, and though other locations treat adolescents, AFC Piru exclusively treats adults. Medical detox is not available on-site.

The treatment philosophy of AFC asserts that addiction is a disease. To address this, clients take an initial assessment to evaluate their alcohol and drug use, mental health disorders, and educational needs. Staff use these assessments to compile a full psychosocial history and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan.

Residential treatment is based on the 12-Steps, and residents are expected to attend AA/NA meetings seven days a week. The center also holds that family involvement is an important part of treatment.

All treatment programs are individualized, and use a combination of individual and family therapy, daily group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), solution-focused therapy, and specialty therapy for trauma. There are also daily addiction education groups, some of which address peer-based problem solving. Identifying behavioral triggers and developing healthy relationships are key goals.

This facility offers a staff-to-client ratio of 1:6 and is comprised of "dedicated, compassionate, and highly trained experts in the fields of Addictive Medicine, Substance Abuse Treatment, and Mental Health," according to the facility.

This is a secluded, 22-bed facility. Residents share rooms with private bathrooms in a two-story Colonial Revival home built in 1887. Leisure provisions include regular excursions to nearby beaches and Lake Piru.

At the time of this writing, Rehabs.com has received feedback for Action Family Counseling from a dozen former clients. Most reported positive experiences, though three reviewers were very displeased. They complained about staff being too distracted and said employees were "unprofessional." Maria left no star ratings but wrote: "This facility is understaffed and the counselors lack the proper education...The house itself is disgusting and filthy." K.S., who gave just one out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition, noted the same and added: "Action Family Counseling is just another money sucking treatment center. This place is a JOKE."

Contradictory to what displeased reviewers wrote, many of the nine former clients who left positive feedback praised the staff, including Tyler, who gave five stars in previously mentioned categories, and wrote: "I came here and it saved my life the staff are easy to talk to and truly care about everyone that goes through. I truly believe the staff is what makes this program so great."

Additionally, Jennifer, who gave the same high ratings as Tyler, wrote: "Our day was always structured which I liked. It kept you focused on recovery," but she also noted that "There was really not enough staff at night to deal with things that came up."

To date, three loved ones of former clients have provided feedback for this facility to Rehabs.com, and all were positive. Kelsey awarded five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness and wrote: “My sister went to AFC. She is doing great and now encouraging me to use this program to get clean.” Additionally, Amy added, "My son was there for a month, and has been in Sober Living for 7 months since then. He's clean, sober, and has a job!!! It's a miracle!"

This facility accepts private insurance, and treatment fees are determined on a sliding scale. Financial assistance is not available.

Published on September 2017

NO ACTIVITIES THE WHOLE DAY TO KEEP EVERYBODY BUSY AND NOT THINK ABOUT THE ALCOHOL OR DRUGS. THEY COULD JUST ADD 2 AA MEETINGS THAT WE COULD ATTEND EVERYDAY INSTEAD OF STAYING AT THE HOUSE DOING NOTHING. SITTING AROUND WITH YOUNG COUNSELORS WHO DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING OR CANT RELATETO WHAT WE ARE GOING THRU. WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME. IF YOU WANT TO DETOX GO TO A FACILITY THAT WILL HAVE SCHEDULED TREATMENTS FOR YOU WITH AN EXPERT INSTEAD OF STUDENTS OR VOLUNTEERS THAT DOES NOTHING,

I was really nervous about admitting myself to a treatment center. When I arrived at the Piru house, the counselors made me feel welcomed and accepted. I appreciate the guidance from the staff, it really means a lot.

Action Family Counseling never gave up on me. I continuously struggled with my disease and was extremely hard to deal with. No one wanted to work with me. The Piru house welcomed me with open arms to start my journey of sobriety. Thank you so much to the treatment team at the Piru house.

Action Family Counseling is a remarkable facility. Staff John and Cameron were a instrumental asset to my recovery. The Piru house is quintessentially, the best program I've been too. I would recommend the Piru house to anyone struggling with drug or alcohol addiction.

Amazing facility. The staff in the juvienell facility are amazing

I came here and it saved my life the staff are easy to talk to and truly care about everyone that goes through. I truly believe the staff is what makes this program so great they know what they are talking about and have been where us addicts have gone they didnt just goto school they lived it and made it out alive i recommend anyone whos struggling or have a loved one thats struggling check this place out

I can not thank the Piru Action Family facility enough for helping me begin the journey to sobriety. I am currently in the fourth week of my thirty days here and have nothing but fantastic things to say about the program and staff. When I first walked through the doors I was completely overwhelmed by and crazy nervous to stay for it had been my first rehab. I was ready to turn around and leave but the most amazing person, a counselor here named Melissa quickly changed that thought. Melissa told me to just give her chance so I did. I turned out to be the decision I have ever made. The program and staff including the director John have been so helpful with all my questions, counseling and support. I have no doubt that all they are doing for me will lead me to the life of sobriety.

They keep them busy and are very caring! I highly recommend Action Family Counseling in Piru, CA. My son was there for a month, and has been in Sober Living for 7 months since then. He's clean, sober, and has a job!!! It's a miracle!

This facility is understaffed and the counselors lack the proper education and are always visibly stressed out. There is no structure, clients were actually the ones making sure we had our 3 group sessions a day by leading them. The house itself is disgusting and filthy. In addition they are absolutely not qualified for clients to detox there. It was a horrible and unproductive stay.

No surprise as this facility is unprofessional, unorganized and dishonest. The staff are a either too busy or they just don't care, hard to tell because they are genuinely dumb.

I was there 3 years ago and I'm still sober. I was nervous at first but staff was friendly and really try to take care of you. Food is decent 3 squere meals a day plus lots of snacks. Only issues is some people are there to really try and stop their addiction while others are there just because they have to. I meet alot of great people I wished I would of stayed in contact with I wish them the best. I hope to go soon to the Saturday sessions if guests are still allowed to speak. Once again a really good place if your serious about recovery. I want to thank everyone that helped me through this period in my life I wish you guys continued success. If any one from staff actually reads this...Thanks again from Big Puppet.

Our day was always structured which I liked. It kept you focused on recovery. There was some free time but most of us would work on our assignments given to us by the counsellors. I loved that we got to go to 12 step meetings every day. The food was good and there was plenty of it. Each room had their own bathroom which was nice. I only had one roommate. The Piru location ( they have 4 more ) , was a big house and could hold a lot of clients. There was really not enough staff at night to deal with things that came up. If you are serious about your recovery , it is fine. However, in my experience, there was a lot of young young adults..18-21, and it was both males and females so there was drama but I just ignored it and focused on my reason for being there and didn't get caught up in that stuff.

Local...cheaper than some...good staff. Food and programs seemed to be lacking. You get what you pay for.

My sister went to AFC. She is doing great and now encouraging me to use this program to get clean. Unfortunately I do not have insurance. I am really trying to find a place to get into for my boyfriend and I to detox at least. We want to change our lives and do better and start our lives towards a successful future that we want. Please if anyone knows of a place that would help us with detox, I do not have insurance and my boyfriend has Obama insurance, please let me know. I have heard many great things about AFC and I figured one of the people on this site may have a little info for what I need. Thank you all be safe and stay clean!

I have worked as the Director of the Intensive Outpatient Programs for the past 15 years and I have sent hundreds of My clients to the Action adult and teen residential programs in piru in Santa Clarita.... and every single one of my client come back with nothing but positive things to say about the treatment regimen that they received in residential! I've had the pleasure of working with the staff here at Action for numerous years..... And they all sincerely care about their clients and love their jobs and love what we do ....every single day of our lives we get to help people and that's a huge blessing that I wouldn't trade for the world!!!!!! I worked at numerous facilities prior to working at Action... many of the supervisors at these other jobs would show up for an hour or two and then theyd go shopping for the rest of the day ...but here at Action we get to personally work with our supervisors and the owner of Action who suits up and shows up everyday and works as hard.... if not harder evry day!!! He even stays up at the high school working until 10 o'clock and gets up and goes to the hospital at 7 o'clock in the morning.... and is on the phone from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. every single night and stays on call 24 hours a day !!!!! Now that to me sounds like someeon that genuinely cares about his staff his client and his facilities!!!!

I would not recommend this treatment facility. Counselors lack training. The Psychiatrist was too focused on prescribing medicine. The improper treatment prompted a rather extensive grievance letter. The owner is all about "heads if the beds" and get that insurance money. The problem with these places is that they are never held accountable. If a patient complains it falls on deaf ears because in reality, who is going to listen to the patient over a counselor? Action Family Counseling is just another money sucking treatment center. This place is a JOKE.

Action Family Counseling