Alina Lodge

61 Ward Road, Blairstown, New Jersey, 07825

About Alina Lodge

Treatment at Alina Lodge is based on the idea that addiction is a chronic, progressive and potentially fatal disease that is also highly treatable. Effective recovery involves the changing of attitudes, values, feelings and family roles, and Alina is dedicated giving individuals the therapeutic tools to begin this process. The hope is that clients will leave the rehab with a renewed feeling of optimism, as well as the coping skills to maintain a long and satisfying life in sobriety.

Relapse

6 Month minimum for those who have failed to maintain sobriety after attending other inpatient programs. Those who need long term inpatient or residential treatment can obtain what Alina Lodge has always been known for... superior treatment, second to none.

Process Addictions

Our New York area alcohol and drug addiction treatment program has proven to be one of the most successful programs for the alcoholic and addict. At Alina Lodge we know undiagnosed and untreated disorders are a leading cause of relapse. We address this through trauma work, grief group, co-dependency, eating disorder group, anger management, spirituality weekends, psycho drama, sex and relationship addiction, gambling addiction, and other process addiction treatment.

• Eating Disorder Program
  • Co-Dependency Series
  • Trauma Resolution

3.9/5

• Paul M.
    I can't honestly say that Alina Lodge saved my life however, it definitely changed my way of life and the way I think and act today. CHANGE is what I truly needed in my life!! My FEAR of change was terrifying, until my fear of not changing became even more terrifying. That's when I knew I had to ask for help. Alina Lodge has developed a treatment model for alcoholism and chemical addiction. It is a highly structured plan to treat the chronic relapser. I had 8 years of sobriety/abstinence, however you look at it. Was I a chronic relapser?? I wasn't drinking, but then I did fall back into a former state or active phase of my disease. So after being in a 12 step program (AA) for several years, I do consider that a relapse.But Chronic?/ It wasn't until I spent some time at Alina, having an opened mind and the willingness to take an honest look at myself, to see some Hope. It wasn't just a relapse with alcohol I was facing, I had to take a look at the addictive illness inside of me.I had to look at my relapse in another way as well. The return to the old attitude,thoughts,feelings, emotions, and the behaviors that led me back to my alcohol addiction. I didn't realize that I was relapsing before I ever picked up that drink again! While at Alina Lodge, there was plenty to work on myself with counselors and clinical staff.There were groups that helped me to become vulnerable and share with others that common bond of addiction.I had to accept my relapse as part of my addiction and forgive myself. I needed to deflate my EGO and rebuild my spiritual foundation. How to become GRATEFUL!! I took a lot of things for granted in my life, a sense of entitlement. I became aware that the things I took for granted, other people are praying for!! Alina Lodge helped me get back into a healthy structured way of life. I have learned I need more of these things in my life, and less of me. Everyone is different, so everyone's journey is going to be different, along with their treatment and recovery. I believe God places me right where I'm supposed to be. God made Alina Lodge part of my journey, and looking back, I am truly Grateful for the time I was there. As I move forward in my journey, life seems to get better each day. I pray,ask for help, and listen to suggestions. I try to help others and give back what was given to me.I try to live life on life's terms, and do the next right thing. I attend AA meetings and have a Sponsor who can identify and be there for me. I am also currently working at Treatment and Recovery Facility as a Patient Care Technician. Again, I incorporate these things into my life each day and it brings me a certain Inner peace! At the end of each and every day I pray and remind myself...I CAN'T DO THIS ALONE!!!
  • AD
    I having nothing but the highest regard for Alina Lodge and the work that they do, from the admissions personnel, the excellent clinical staff and the food services and maintenance dept. We had lost a son after returning from overseas with severe PTSD, to the demons and drugs. One of our other sons after returning from overseas as well was also struggling with the same demons and PTSD. We tried several 14-30 day programs and one that is offered by the VA. None of them worked and we were at wits end and feared the worst again, death or possibly arrested. Our son was directed to Alina Lodge and we Thank God everyday for that opportunity as it put him on the correct path where he is sober, went to college and is now working on his Masters . Well let me tell you however, at first he wasn't happy there, the phone was taken away, freedom was taken away, and he had to commit and surrender plus follow all the rules or be removed from the program. He did submit as he knew he needed to get away from the addiction but the first few months were hard and eventually got into the program and allowed himself to be vulnerable and accept that he was an addict. That's when the healing started which lasted a total of just over 11 months. Our son is doing well as I stated and is currently working on his masters, works and has a home. He is active with helping veterans throughout our area as he has a special bond with them and their needs. Once again we Thank God everyday for our son having the chance to attend such an outstanding facility with staff that has your loved ones safety, health and sobriety as their most important goal. In closing I just want to say we have the deepest respect for the entire staff at Alina Lodge
  • A.M.
    Alina Lodge saved both my mother’s and my daughter’s life. My mother attended Alina Lodge in 1982 when she was in the last stage of cirrhosis of the liver. She completed the program and stayed happily sober for 20 years until her death. I attended the week long family program in 1982 and learned about the disease of alcoholism. My daughter attended Alina in 2016 and today has 3 1/2 years sobriety. I would highly recommend Alina Lodge because they focus on a 12 step recovery program which lays the foundation for life long recovery after the patient leaves rehab. Both my mother and daughter had been thru multiple treatment programs prior to going to Alina Lodge. The truth is that it takes a lot of time to recover. The body heals first but the mind and spirit take longer. Short term 28 day programs are not enough time for the alcoholic to start being honest and willing to look at their lives. The staff at Alina Lodge has been there a long time which tells me they have much needed experience and that it is a nice place to work. Many rehabs have high staff turnovers. Experience in the field of addiction is critical and most rehab centers do not have experienced staff. Alina Lodge has been in the business a long time which means they have run a successful treatment program. It really is a one of a kind rehab where the student gets highly personalized attention in a very structured environment. Structure is critical to recovery. Everyone at Alina Lodge knew my daughter by name and everyone helped her to recover. There were family sessions and several extended family weekends where we stayed at Alina and worked with a family therapist to mend our broken family. Alina encouraged my husband and I to get involved in Alanon and work our program. Most importantly, Alina listened and provided suggestions which helped us rebuild trust in the family. Dealing with addiction is painful for the patient/student and the family. Alina understands this pain and helps the student and the family take the action necessary to walk thru the pain and come out the other side. Both my mother and daughter had a clear treatment path when they graduated from the treatment. Alina referred my daughter to a sober living community for women where she continued to work on her recovery. Sober living was an important transition from Alina. If you or your loved one are serious about recovery, Alina Lodge is the best place. There simply are not many long term recovery programs-and recovery does take a long time. So many rehabs advertise yoga, meditation, massages etc... but these things won’t keep you sober. Alina offers a way of living and recovering that really works.
  • Cheryl C.
    I truly believe Alina Lodge and the amazing staff helped my son with his recovery. Our family was living in hell and we were falling apart. A recommendation from a psychologist helped us find Alina. Our son was a tough cookie to deal with and the staff understood what he needed. He began to understand what being sober was all about. We have so much gratitude for helping him lead a sober and happy life. Forever grateful to Alina Lodge.
  • MC
    Alina Lodge is unlike any place I’ve ever been. As a young 20 year old, entering their facility was very scary, as I did not know what was in store for me. While my experience there was difficult and painful at times, Alina lodge set me up for the greatest life I have ever lived. Having been sober for three years now, I am thriving and loving life to the fullest extent. Today, I look back at my time in the lodge and can’t help but feel gratitude for all that it gave me. Alina Lodge saved my life and I recommend it to anyone who is looking to save their life!
  • Al C
    Alina Lodge saved my life. I had been to several other rehabs but only came out to drink/use again. Alina was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but the greatest thing I’ve ever done. If you truly want a recovery and will do whatever it takes to sustain a recovery, there is no place better.
  • LJBG
    We owe my husbands life to Alina Lodge! Best long term treatment facility!
  • Brendan
    As a person familiar with the impact of alcoholism on families and the treatment options available today, I I feel very comfortable fully endorsing Alina Lodge. I have a wife and a son who both suffer from the disease of alcoholism and both have tried a number of treatment options and programs. What makes Alina Lodge standout for me is the commitment to their program and the unmatched quality of their leadership and staff. I think many family members of alcoholics in treatment long for better and more consistent communication, help beyond the treatment period and a sense that the connection between our sick or recovering loved ones and the treatment facility extends far beyond their stay. For me, Alina Lodge is unique in their care, support and commitment. I have two unique experiences with Alina Lodge. They saved my wife's life when nothing else could. The love and resolve and patience was unmatched by any of the many programs that previously treated my wife. It wasn't even close! I was allowed to face the challenges of single parenting without any needless worry or concern while being fully up to speed on the progress, lack of progress, concerns and outlook. I simply can't say enough about the difference in communication, consistency and the professionalism of staff. My son had a very different experience with Alina, leaving twice and being extremely difficult in both stays. Again, the staff distinguished themselves in their calm conviction and approach. Leadership was involved in both stays and made sure we fully understood the situation and the options. The extra steps taken, the care and the love shown was remarkable. The care extended to excellent suggestions for steps we could take after my son left the program and the availability to this day should we reach out and ask for advice and help or advice. It isn't easy but it works if our loved ones truly surrender and you will have formed a bond with a team of professionals that are unmatched in this field. I love the people at Alina and I will be forever in their debt. They are an outstanding group of dedicated professionals in a very challenging field and they bring their hearts as well as their minds and experience to the battle for life every single day.
  • cathleen
    Alina Lodge Saved My Life. I wish I had stronger words to tell you this truth. I was a late-stage alcoholic with a husband and five children, and I was losing my battle with alcoholism. I had been for years. The length of time I spent at Alina, allowed my disease to relapse safely, mentally and emotionally, without being relieved with alcohol. I believe this repetition of powerlessness in not feeding my alcoholism, is what finally broke my near fatal obsession with alcohol. The staff offered support, structure and space. They watched and waited until I was able to surrender. It took awhile for me to get there, as it took me awhile to become a desperate, and dying alcoholic. I owe my life to the people at Alina Lodge who dedicate themselves to the ill, broken and disheartened women and men who arrive at their gate. If you are looking for a rehab that offers lifelong recovery - then Alina Lodge is the right place for you. Check them out . . . It might just save your loved ones life.
  • Kevin O
    I volunteer frequently at this facility and have come to know numerous graduates who have seen their lives transformed by this place. Its a fantastic program that has been a salvation for many people. I recommend it highly to those who want an experience that works.
  • GL
    Aliens Lodge was able to do what numerous other treatment programs,long or short tried to achieving. My long term sobriety. With the guidance and patience of the knowledgeable caring people there they guided me and many other men and women to this end by instilling the twelve step programs of AA and NA’s principals of living a meaningful and sober lifestyle. Specialty groups were provided to help understand and deal with subjects such as the loss of a loved one, anger, and how to be open and honest in all our affairs. I spent a little more than a year there and another in a sober living home in a loving family’s house that allowed me to reconnect with society after being isolated giving me my confidence back to be self sufficient. Although at times it was an arduous journey the end result justified the effort. Overall I agree and understand the methodology. I’m happy to say that after straying so far off the path of life I’m back on the beam heading in the right direction thanks in large part because of Alina and the implementation of the twelve step program. They are both a part of my family who show love and support each and every day. I have and will highly recommend Alina and the principals of the AA programs to any and all people searching for a solution.
  • SEAN G
    Can’t say enough about Alina Lodge! They have save countless lives. A rehab that truly works.
  • Michael C
    After over 30 detoxes, 10 long-term treatments in 6 different states, multiple overdoses and periods of homelessness, Alina Lodge was truly the last stop on the block for me. I had very little hope for myself entering the Lodge in June of 2016 but fortunately, my counselor and the rest of the staff did. The value of what I would learn about myself and my disease over the next 350 days has proved to be immeasurable in my life today. With a little bit of willingness and open-mindedness I was able to become honest with myself and others which helped me to understand that the biggest obstacle between myself and recovery, was me. To express how grateful I am to Alina Lodge in words will always fall short because an indisputable fact that I learned there is that Gratitude and Faith are action words and I carry that attitude with me in every aspect of my life today. Sincerely, Michael Cavallo
  • Brenna Hackbarth
    I am not sure how to start this review off besides saying Alina Lodge is the reason I am alive, sober, successful, and truly happy. When I entered Alina Lodge I was a shell of a person I had accepted the fact that I was going to die and was unwilling to give up my addiction. I will forever be grateful for the extended time I spent at Alina Lodge, I needed every second of it. Today I am not only 4 years sober but I am able to be a daughter, a wife, a sister, an aunt, and a friend which never would have been possible without Alina Lodge. I cannot thank the Little Hill Foundation enough for giving me my life back.
  • MPQ
    I became involved with Allina Lodge as a member of AlAnon 30 years ago. I attended a family program there which was very beneficial to my recovery. Little did I know that many years later I would have a "reluctant to recover" child. Alina Lodge was the 3rd treatment facility for my child. It was a 13 month stay, but every day was necessary as drugs and alcohol played havoc on my child's brain. Yes, Alina Lodge is very strict with those in treatment, but remember, a life that is consumed by alcohol and drugs is chaotic, unpredictable and emotionally and spiritually painful. A structured living environment with a first class treatment approach, good food, education and support is the tonic for beginning to live a sober and clean life. I am grateful every day for the care my child received at Aljna Lodge. My child is 6 years sober and.is living a happy,fulfilling and safe life. Anything worthwhile takes commitment and effort. Alina Lodge stands the test of time. You won't be sorry.
  • Therese Smerklo
    My review may seem biased since I am an employee of this very special organization However, I could never do this work if I didn't truly believe in the work we do here. As one of the Counselors I have the very intimate and special opportunity to witness beautiful miracles occur. Addiction is a deadly disease that robs families everyday and causes heartbreak. Yes, long term treatment is difficult, but it will never be harder than active addiction is. There truly is hope here.
  • J
    This place is a prison like setting, facilitors are like correctional officers(Keys claining and walkie talkies) watching your every move and reported! The is no program, you sit around a lot and give you a lot of gym time to fill a day! You have 2 lectures a day and 1 group that’s it! You see a counselor 1 hour a week and you can not access them at all, they will literally dodge you so they don’t have to deal with you if you have a problem! You are lucky if you get a visit! If you are wealthy you get treated better! This place needs a better program!
  • MV
    I believe The Lodge is a vital part of my recovery from alcoholism. The Lodge was the start. It was there for me when I finally reached my bottom. At the point I got to The Lodge I had a tiny amount of willingness to see there was another, better, way to how I had tried to manage my alcohol problem and live my life. The Lodge saw that willingness and with great skill helped me expand it, and begin a path of recovery. It is without exaggeration that I truly do believe I owe my life to The Lodge.
  • xx
    Most bizarre experience of my life. Definitely not a normal rehab, you can't really understand it unless you experience it. We had to sing, we were allowed outside to walk around a "track" (a cement driveway) and we could only walk counter clockwise ! very important. The arbitrary rules are part of the "surrender." No listening to music, no reading (other than AA literature and the newspaper) we had to dress up every night. The food was good and a lot of it was really made with care, but you can only eat during the specified times in the cafeteria no exceptions. The lectures and counseling weren't really valuable or useful but I don't think they're meant to be. I think everything at Alina is just filling up the time, and the time is all that really matters. Sitting with yourself for a year or however long, with as close to nothing to do as possible and coping with that. I didn't want to be sober, but maybe if I had it would've worked. It's definitely a life changing experience either wayt. I ran away after 4 months and honestly thank goddddd. I know some people have had success after though. Wild experience and a lot of interesting stories if nothing else.
  • TT
    I've read the reviews and have to agree with all of them! Yes it is a "long-term" up to a year or more stay, but that time is necessary for each individual whom has been living in the throws of addiction & therefore dishonesty, negativity, etc. to find themselves, follow a strict set of rules and eventually thrive. Many of the "students" in my experience, display an unrelenting sense of entitlement. Something that comes with the money they have to afford a high-priced facility. This sense of entitlement does nothing for recovery and being at Alina Lodge brings people back to basics, away from family fortune & towards learning that everyone in addiction is equal. That's not to say that the "big wigs" running the joint won't bend if there is enough money behind a student - it is after-all a business too . The Counselors are skilled, caring, wonderful people but their hands are tied because the "higher-ups" make "shoot from the hip" decisions without regard to how it might affect the original "Treatment Plan". They undermine what the "front lines" do to better things for each student. This can be seen as dishonesty by the Counselor's, making their jobs more difficult and ultimately the reason why Alina Lodge loses excellent staff. On to the students.... but Addicts have lived most of their lives NOT being held responsible for their actions. From my time there I learned a lot about myself and other's. How to be patient, caring, honest, sensitive, and most importantly -- POSITIVE! The students at Alina Lodge spew negativity on a constant basis, almost to the point of it being just to have something to complain about! Setting an example of positivity made me a much better person. Alina Lodge and exposure to people (for many years) with good, strong, sobriety has taught me to always work on myself, look at my part in things, consider someone else's side, etc. As someone not in recovery (or needing recovery) this is a blessing and can make anyone a more thankful, happy person! The time a student spends in "quiet reflection" helps them in this process -- they are for the most part digging deep and really discovering themselves -- they have no choice! All of the things provided in extremely over-priced rehabs that distract a student from what they really need to do (like horse-back riding, excessive gym time, spa treatments, etc.) does nothing to help them! I have seen many habitual relapsing addicts get sober and stay sober without long-term treatment but the difference was that they lost everything, family, friends, homes, jobs, cars, kids, and suffered the long-lasting effects of that lifestyle. These were people whom now had a good foundation and solid "Network" in AA and above all -- no money -- which seems to be the root of many of Alina's students problems! It is necessary for family members to commit to educating themselves with addiction, their family members progress (not their own reported progress in endless letters home) with the "Clinical Team". Tough love is necessary and living with addiction is damaging emotionally to those of us that love an addict! You as the family member need to learn to "detach with love" so that your loved one can accept the reality of their life and so that YOU can be more educated and "sane" when they do finally recover! While I don't believe in many things that occur in the facility as far as the "higher-ups" go, I will say that this place is, by design, difficult and if a student can really truly work on themselves and mentally survive lots of negativity, they will be stronger and better able to handle what life outside of treatment will throw them! Once sober and home it should be a scary place for them, and you! Fear for them in continued recovery ensures that they recall what life was like before! Fear for you means that you are clear that rehab wasn't a magic bullet -- there is NO cure and throwing money, love, or micro-management at them doesn't work. None of those things got your loved one sober and it certainly won't keep them sober. Hope this review was helpful. It was honest and from the heart.
    So I left this facility around the halfway mark (avg stay is 11-13 months despite what their web sight might say). First the positives...the councilors and staff generally do care for the students wellbeing. There is a lot of time there to sit with yourself and do some soul searching. You are isolated from drugs and alcohol, so you most likely will stay sober while there. The program is extremely structured...to the point of the movie “Groundhog Day”. This, however, can drive one crazy. You can get in good shape there playing basketball a few times a week with an outdoor hoop. Food there is pretty good....I’ll give it 3.5 stars (However not much selection).For recreation, there is a ping pong table and a pool table, which you can use after 3pm. Bourd games after 3pm.1 cup of weak coffee with breakfast and lunch. Now the negatives...Very old fashioned, extremely overpriced (plan on spending 120-130 GRAND if u want to complete their program). Shame based treatment, someone mentioned Archaic...I can agree with that. Almost ZERO “stimulation”...they consider things like music to be a distraction, so there are no head phones. Instead we’d have “music” once a week for 1 hour where we sit around and play some cd’s on a boom box. No weights or resistance machines...only resistance “bands”, which they’re very adamant about using one at a time. They’re also very adamant about not hooking them onto anything, like over a door or chair. When these bands become the highlight of your day, these seemingly pointless rules can be frustrating. Suits and ties are to be worn to dinner every night, where you spend an hour eating each meal. They ring a bell to indicate the meal is ready to be served, where you walk up single file one table at a time to eat. Basic cable on the house tv from 8-10, till 11 on weekends. The pace there is extremely slow...the “tincture of time” as they call it. No cigarettes, and no cell phones/ computers of course (these would be “distractions”). No regular phones either. A typical day includes 2 lectures (which I found mostly useless with some exceptions) and an AA/NA meeting taken there (which are free on the outside). Communication is confined to hand written letters, and who you can write/receive letters from is monitored. Visitations are extremely limited... if you have kids don’t plan on seeing them for the first 6-8 months. They convince your parents of basically “tough love”, so if you ever got any charity from them you can kiss that goodbye. They break you down and make you very aware of your “character defects”, the idea being that your defects will keep you in active addiction if you don’t work on them. Being vulnerable and crying to the group is encouraged. The females are on the other side of the campus, separated at all times, and strict rules are enforced not to talk to them or even to look at them (facilitators pace back and forth in the middle of the lunch room between the girl and boys, much like correctional officers. Their job is to “observe and report” aka ease drop on conversations, and log it in there “log book”). If you are a few minutes late to breakfast, you don’t receive your medication for the day (very limited Phych meds given). In general, you are treated like a child. Everything is pretty much done for you, so you leave without a sense of self-reliance. As the staff sees it, you leave without there blessing, whether it be a week early or 6 months early, your most definitely going to relapse and probably die. I left confident in myself, dispite them telling me I wasn’t ready and was throwing away everything I did there. I left with serious feelings of guilt and shame for “giving up”. They are very good at convincing you of this. And if you leave early, they basically drop you off at the train station or truck stop. No calling anyone to set up any type of transition towards your next living situation or help with any legwork. Their way or the highway....this is used as a deterant so you don’t leave. To not “surrender” to their program is to not surrender to sobriety, and they tell you that your screwed. They act like they have a monopoly on recovery. If you stay until the end they will usually send you to Dover NJ or Minnesota and set you up. You never get to leave the campus for anything while your there, unless you have a doctor, dentist, or probation appointment. I tried to be as unbiased and honest in this review, without showing my resentment towards the place. I hated being there. I transferred to another program and halfway house, which is a fraction of the price, modern, and with way more aminities. One thing I got from Alina was being grateful for the small things....which I could have gotten from prison, or even if I was dropped off on a desert island. I left because it’s not the way I wanted to get sober....it’s tough enough getting clean, feels like they are rubbing salt in the wound. Does it work? I’m sober today....just be ready to be very uncomfortable for a long time. Maybe explore your options first, being the year 2018?? I hope this helps anyone reading this to make a decision, god bless you all and good luck!!!!
  • Jill
    I have been to Alina twice and it has been the only rehabs were I have been able to leave and maintain long term sobriety. It is a big scary step to take but alcoholism is no joke and Alina helped me recenter and find myself again and set me on a new and much better path. I never thought I could maintain sobriety and Alina gave me that hope and made it a reality. Thank you Alina!
  • dg
    Archaic, outdated program stressing shame and isolation as a means of recovery. Perhaps it was once effective for juvenile delinquents, but no one should ever send a loved one there. There are better treatment programs - look into them.
  • JP
    My daughter was at Alina Lodge for 12 months. She credits her time here for saving her life. Her words not mine. Her spiral down into addiction was a slow painful one for her and us, her family. She resented the rules and lack of freedom as most people would. We had told her she couldn't come home if she left treatment. We did our best to get her help for almost 3 years but nothing stuck, no outpatient program helped her overcome her destructive behavior. We watched her become a different person, one we didn't like but loved too much to give up on. She had other problems that she tried to self-medicate away; depression, anxiety, an eating disorder. After she was arrested for driving under the influence we knew we were outmatched by her addiction. We told her she must go to an inpatient program or leave home. She chose treatment. Alina Lodge wasn't where she wanted to be but the intensive program forced her to take a close look at her behavior and figure out how to change, how to deal with life's challenges without drugs or alcohol, how to believe on herself again. My husband and I are truly grateful that we have our daughter back again. She says Alina Lodge saved her life. We believe she saved herself with the Lodges help. We don't think she could have done it without them.
  • T
    I am confident that were it not for Alina, my loved one would have succumbed to the disease of addiction. After a little more than a year he is restored to health and hopeful for his future. Alina helped us to understand the disease and its impact on not only the addict; but the family as well. Addict turned student (although some time reluctantly); we know that our student possess the tools and desire to remain sober. His brain has been given a chance to heal with free time and reflection as well as develop bonds with others in the community. Rules exist to enable training and discipline and from what I experienced the style was not punitive. We are grateful to Alina for having restored him to sanity and acknowledge the effort and dedication of the Alina team to remain true to their methodology that has provided many others before with peace and serenity. We are again hopeful! As far as the physical facility and food, some buildings are older but maintained and the food seemed nutritionally balanced.
  • EJG
    This place saved my life, sober over 5 years now. Hands down the best rehab facility. Highly highly recommend.
  • JKL
    My oldest son went there for 11 months. The first 6 he fought the program, the last four months were a thing of beauty as he finally discovered himself. Now my youngest is there. After all the out patient and 28 day programs, he also ended up at Alina. Addiction is all through our family, both sides, my wife\'s and mine. Yes they take away many things they deem not in your best interest. No smoking no caffeine. They break you down to where you finally look at yourself in a real way. There is nothing cruel, it is a lot of time spent in quiet reflection and study about addiction, no horseback riding and days spent at the gym. The thing is that the disease of addiction can\'t be pampered. The student at Alina is there to learn why they repeat this behavior. People get he idea that if they keep telling addicts how proud they are of them and they are so loved, that stuff is going to help them. It is not. You have to tell them how scared, disappointed and frustrated you are and that you are not going to help them in any way until they sit down and figure it out. But then we want that warm fuzzy. My mom did that with my brother, he overdosed after five years of her pampering and died. This is a get real place with a bit of tough love, they make the families get real with the addict. They make you say enough, it is time. Yes I love you but this time you must find out why you do this and start to love yourself and us in a real and meaningful way. Don\'t listen to those on here telling you this place is anything but the best place to get real with the world. Otherwise get ready to repeat the whole thing over and over until...
  • J.D.
    I was in Alina lodge for just under a year. I was court ordered to complete a treatment program. Alina lodge was my first rehab. I was physically addicted to heroin, and I needed help. My mother, not knowing what to do, consulted her psychologist and that is where she came across this place. I was married when I entered treatment. Alina and my family made it so that I only saw my wife twice in a year. The last time she came to visit me was about 8 months into my stay. She drove 5 hours to stay at a hotel down the street and see me for about 45 min. The 45 min consisted of me her and two councilors. They told her that, after 8 months, I was resisting treatment and being uncooperative. I voiced my frustrations to the councilors and my young wife. She left shortly after to drive the 6 hours back home. Fast forward two months later I was still in the lodge. I had seen people with multiple rehab stays come and graduate before me. The only difference between them and I seemed to be that their family pressed their release more than mine did. If your family wants you released within a certain time frame, you will get out in the 6 to 8 month range, otherwise you will be there for a year plus. I made it just over ten. I became disillusioned understandably, and constantly asked to be released to another facility. Finally I was released and driven to another facility in New Jersey called endeavor house. Again I was driven directly from Alina lodge to endeavor house, but Alina lodge still felt the need to write a letter to my probation office and inform him that I had violated the terms of my probation, which technically I did not do. I stayed another 3 months in the second facility and went to a sober house in Minneapolis, where several of the men that I had grown close to and for deep, emotional connections with from Alina lodge also attended after their release. When the director of Alina lodge found out I was staying with my friends in Minnesota, he urged the director of the sober house not to let me stay with people that I had grown close to. After 6 months I return to my home state of Massachusetts ...I did complete a treatment however so I only had to complete about 4 months more of probation. To make a long story short, Alina lodge offered no alternative treatment to me or my family, they wrote a letter to my probation officer misleading him into thinking I walked off property, and when I joined my sober friends in a sober house they protested my presence there. They charged my scared family 12500 dollars a month which they blindly paid because they were unaware of any alternative...
  • Anita
    I brought my long-term partner to Alina Lodge for a second visit. He had underwent 10.5 months of inpatient treatment previously and was therefore offered a complimentary 30-days of inpatient following his relapse. Having lost his job and insurance, it seemed like the only option and despite my lesser review, we\'re very grateful for this opportunity for him to get sober again. Alina considers themselves superior to other treatment facilities because they don\'t entertain a set period of time before releasing their \"students\". Instead, they seek a guarantor who can provide the required $12,700+ per month. In our case, my partner\'s father had previously been the guarantor and was quickly contacted upon his admission to re-up a similar commitment. Should Alina respond to this post, they will certainly not reveal the legal release my partner was required to sign. To this day, I don\'t think I\'ll ever see it but let me share the outcome of the rights they obtained by way of this material document. I was not allowed to speak to him. In fact, only after 3 - 6 months would I be able to visit him on an authorized family day. Should that lucky day arrive for me, I\'d spend the first half of it attending 4 - 6 hours of education. The letters we wrote to one another were monitored. He had to open my letters in front of a counselor to validate that there wasn\'t any substances or money (also called contraband). The letters he wrote me were postmarked a minimum of 3 days, often a week following his write date. I was also reprimanded for writing him 3 times in a single week and warned that my letters would be \"returned to sender\" if it was decided to cut me off. Prior to sending too many letters - I was contacted by his counselor just 2 weeks following his intake for a few reasons - 1) because I was writing him letters and 2) because he requested I be a part of his treatment (we talked prior to his admittance). The result of our conversation was an invitation for me to come to the Lodge for an \"intervention\". I was warned that his would not be a fun conversation with the \"student\" but necessary for his treatment, especially now that he was sober and could process it better than those pre-treatment. I agreed and trusted their guidance. I arrived to merely an interrogation about who I was and what my relationship as a \"former\" girlfriend to the student was. There was no intention of including the \"student\". I learned that previously his family bought into the isolation and shame that Alina uses to treat \"repeat offenders\". In that 10.5 months, he had previously not seen or heard from a family member until after 6 months of in-patient stay. And it was then that his father was instructed to visit for a scripted confrontation. I learned that upon his previous release he needed to accept a recommended half-way house (more financial commitment btw), which was a good distance from anybody he would need to reconnect with (2 young children, career contacts and even his parents/family). The belief is that a student needs to disassociate with a former life and recreate a new one. The clinical director told me that his children would be \"very angry\" when I asked about this possible repeat. If you are looking to put your loved one in a jail-like setting and have them isolated, this is the place. If you believe in a recovery that includes the support and care of loved ones (several modern day treatments are this way), then you will regret sending your addicted family member to Alina Lodge. It isn\'t your fault that your loved one is an addict and it should be your decision to stay or leave. Alina will lie to family and students alike to enact \"their plan\". And by the way, they will not tell you or the student what their plan is. They will only bill an exhausted family month after month while telling the hopeful student that \"they\'re not ready\". In my research of practical, modern day treatments (in particular those that recover positive parts of the former life), I learned a few things. Inpatient treatments that exceed normal amounts of time (30 - 90 days) don\'t help addicts learn to cope in a functioning, practical environment. Building a network that supports a day-to-day lifestyle is something post in-patient and crucial to long-term success. Not a surprise that the best of Alina\'s students will struggle only 3 months after release. And their plan to relocate students to far away places that don\'t entertain family or career, it adds difficulty to building a supportive life on the outside. I\'m fortunate that my loved one wanted to succeed, released himself (despite the suggestion of failure) and developed a support network in the real world. We (his family and I) were frightened to take him back without an established alternative plan. But the reality is that we couldn\'t talk to him to establish an out patient alternative. We just had to remove him from an unfavorable environment while believing in his character and will to recover. Good luck with your loved one and I hope this review helps you make a more informed decision. It doesn\'t do me any good to spend time writing such a review but I wish that someone else would have done the same for me.
  • J
    Very misguided approach to addiction treatment. Punitive approach. Near incarceration conditions.,
  • NC
    Alina saved my life but there really is no program. You sit and do nothing most of the day . It\'s not 6-9 months . It\'s 12 months. You feel manipulated the whole time your there but hey, that\'s what most addicts have been doing in active addiction so maybe that\'s part of the deal. Your forced to be honest and that\'s what we struggled with. Would I recommend Alina ,yes but not for more then 6-8 months . It\'s pointless after 4. But im sober, and getting my life back in an honest way.
  • SG
    A “no-nonsense” approach should cost a no-nonsense amount. 12-step. Yes, pick up your packet - depending on the counselor, and hope to get some time with them. Meanwhile, walk around in a parking lot, sit in quiet time, can\'t eat an apple where you live, can\'t even depend on where you are going to live the next day. Write permission to see your counselor, write permission to do anything. Pay extra for your laundry (overpriced) and also 3x as much for basic necessities from a pharmacy in town that should be put out of business. Degrading and ignorant place that rakes in money. All it does it hold you away from your drug of choice and treat you like you are a villain. You have to dress a certain way for dinner and have to sit at the table for every meal for a set amount of time. \"Boys and Girls\" can\'t communicate or look at each other so instead of closing the door between the two \"bad\" factors, the have people revolve around your table. The attitude that addicts and alcoholics need to go to boot camp sits right with the notion that women shouldn\'t vote. It is outdated and almost barbaric.
  • Jeannie
    Finally had a chance to het honest, they demand it. Confusing u never no when u are leaving You truly need to go there and be honest
  • MC
    Treatment-wise, their approach is really terrible. It's true, there is a way for everyone, and some say it works for them. But I think that if one responds best to discipline and punishment and shaming, there are bigger issues in the long run. ... I left before the end of the program and found my sobriety with regular counselors.
    Alina Lodge is the only place that worked for me and countless others who are reluctant to recover.
  • wesley
    I am sober for 6 years now but not as a result of Alina. Counselor was not honest and they had us listen to tapes of a very strange lady who founded the place.
  • anonymous
    Our daughter is still at the facility but from what I understand, it is helping her and is more "strict" with her than other treatment centers have been (which is a good thing).
  • Liza
    Alina Lodge is a longer , undetermined term treatment center for drug and alcohol addiction. The length of stay , in my case 11 months, was crucial as it allowed me to feel safe in a rehab setting and for me to start to develop relationships with my counselor and my peers.
  • JIC
    Helped me out.
  • anonymous
    All good counselors left and went to a different recovery site.
  • Daniel
    My after care consisted of sober living/outpatient services.