Awakenings Rehabilitation in Albion, MI

809 West Erie Street
Albion MI 49224

Awakenings Rehabilitation Philosophy

At Awakenings Rehabilitation, we strive to address the personal needs of each of our clients and offer individualized treatment options. Our dedicated staff works with each client one-on-one to ensure long-term success in their recovery process.

We understand that recovering from an addiction is not easy; it is a challenging and emotionally intense process. As a result, we believe in providing each individual with the compassionate care and respect they deserve.

True recovery is not simply being abstinent from substances. True recovery means reconnecting with oneself and flourishing in life. It is with this spirit of compassion, combined with our staff’s skillfulness, that we inspire, nurture and empower our clients to change their own lives.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
    The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

SMART Recovery

Spirituality

Men and women's groups

Bradley Lyben

Executive Director

A graduate of Central Michigan University, Bradley has been helping people overcome addiction since 2006. As the Executive Director of Awakenings, he oversees all of the daily operations of our recovery center and ensures that we continue to provide the highest quality of care possible. His positive approach in working with both the staff and patients helps to give our facility a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Larry Saunders

Spiritual Counselor, MDiv

Larry has over 30 years in Pastoral Ministry, with a foundation in Nouthetic Counseling. He found his calling in offering guidance to people through many of life’s trials, including counseling at correctional facilities and in addiction recovery. At Awakenings, Larry is a personal spiritual advisor as well as a spiritual group facilitator.

ABOUT AWAKENINGS REHABILITATION

Located in Albion, Mich., Awakenings Rehabilitation offers inpatient treatment, individual counseling, and other interventions to individuals who are struggling with substance misuse. Awakenings is one of 35 rehabs in Michigan (7.7 percent of all rehabs in the state) to offer detox in a residential setting.

Additionally, Awakenings offers partial hospitalization (PHP) and intensive outpatient (IOP) programs. According to a 2017 SAMHSA survey, 8.3 percent of rehabs in Michigan offer PHP while 36.8 percent offer IOP.

Prior to admission, each client undergoes a full evaluation to determine their exact needs. According to the facility's website, Awakenings offers cutting-edge treatment methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and SMART Recovery, which may also be combined with traditional treatment methods such as 12-Step.

Communication skills training (CST) is an important part of programming at Awakenings. CST covers a range of topics, including anger management, disagreeing without arguing, coping skills, social interaction, and conflict management.

Treatment also includes men's and women's groups, music exploration, and art therapy. Additionally, the rehab offers life skills training, such as achieving financial stability, developing routines, hygiene and nutrition, and job training. Aftercare and transition planning are available for all alumni.

Awakenings' website notes the treatment team includes licensed counselors. The facility is one of 91 rehabs in Michigan (20 percent of all rehabs in the state) that is certified by the Joint Commission and one of 250 (54.8 percent) that is certified by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). To date, the four individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com gave generally positive ratings for the staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 3.8/5

Photos on Awakenings' website show bright, shared rooms. While 21 individuals surveyed by Rehabs.com to date gave near perfect ratings to overall accommodations as well as meals and nutrition, the four individuals polled on specific metrics gave more neutral ratings.

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 3.3/5
Exercise & Leisure Activities: 2.5/5

Of the 19 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com to date, 17 gave highly positive reviews. Many of the alumni praised the treatment staff, in particular. "This facility has a great caring staff that go out of their way to help the clients," alum J.J. wrote in a representative review, adding "I would recommend this facility to anyone looking to get help with their addiction."

Though reviews were positive overall, the three alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date on specific metrics gave more modest ratings, specifically for holistic offerings and counseling options, though offered more moderate ratings for family participation and staff experience.

At the time of this writing, Awakenings holds a 3.6 out of five-star average rating on Google based on 38 reviews.[1] Many reviewers echoed the praise for staff given by those surveyed by Rehabs.com. In a representative review, alum Mel wrote, "Exceptional staff and the treatment platform is priceless!!!!"

B.S., the lone loved one surveyed by Rehabs.com to date, left a highly positive review and gave a five out of five stars to nearly every metric evaluated, including family participation, counseling options, and overall treatment effectiveness.

"During his program the staff there helped him learn better how to deal with people he didn't know," she wrote. "So, going to Awakenings got him off heroin but they've made his life so much easier because of everything else they did for him."

Four loved ones on Google gave mixed reviews. Though three gave five-star ratings, a fourth complained of lack of communication and poor discharge planning.

L.C., the lone staff member surveyed by Rehabs.com to date also gave a highly positive review. "I am employed by awakenings and it is an awesome company to work for," they wrote.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its treatment staff. However, four individuals surveyed by Rehabs.com to date gave a below average rating to the program's affordability:

Affordability: 2.3/5

Published on May 2019

Mandy

My brother did really good at Awakenings. This program seemed to mesh well with him and his needs. One thing about this program that worked so well for him was that it's a mostly holistic program. He was diagnosed with depression when he was 16 and has been on medication since then. At Awakenings they didn't try to take him off his meds, didn't tell him that he didn't need it. They also didn't prescribe any additional medication there. They don't do that. You stay what you're on when you get there and that's it. That along with the staff, the treatment program he did and everything else, he had a great experience there. The staff were easy to get along with and easy to work with. The other clients helped my brother a lot as well. They helped him fit in when he first got there and made him comfortable there. My brother had a easy time staying through his program because he liked it there. He learned a lot about himself and how best to keep himself sober. They didn't take him off his medication but, they also didn't try to prescribe anything while he was there. All that combined just worked for him and made Awakenings a wonderful rehab that he benefited greatly from going to. I never tried it but heard the food could be better. Could use more staff members too but, the staff they have are amazing.

Brenda

Going to Awakenings helped my son so much. They treated him great there. It wasn't just about getting my son off heroin. He's always had problems in his life because of how shy he is. During his program the staff there helped him learn better how to deal with people he didn't know. So, going to Awakenings got him off heroin but they've made his life so much easier because of everything else they did for him.

Michelle

This was posted as a Christian facility, There wasn't one thing Christian about it, no step program no bible studies, the language from both clients and some staff was vulgar. Food was not healthy, vegetables were over cooked and smothered in butter, very little fresh fruit just granny Smith apples and bananas. No juice, just kool aid, I met with my counselor a total of 3 times before my last week (I was there for 43 days. No planned extracurricular activities like art. The "store" was poorly stocked. The staff was not United on enforcing the easy to follow rules. Was told I could plan a individual program to help me, and that there was SMART RECOVERY (only in the detox and rtc program. It was so bad for me that I pretty much isolated and dove into my bible and bible studies I had brought with me. That's what helped me the most. I would not recommend this to anyone! Also found out at least 1/3 of the clients who 'graduated' the program after I entered the program already have relapsed. A couple of pluses, My counselor was a strong Christian, my case worker was a firm and rule enforcer, and most of the nursing staff was kind and polite; BTW health workers (nurses) should NOT wear perfume. That's it. My rant is done. Can't believe we wasted so much money on this place. I was pretty much just Isolated.

SEAN

The staff really cares but it is a business so the cuts were being made when i was there at times very unorganized but again staff and councell were very caring and good any rehab it up to you to make what it is!!!! The staff,nurse, and counsellor and chef were very good. had no one to drive clients to church aa and other activity they were trying to figure that out when i was there.

AC

When I went to Awakenings it was because I needed help with an addiction to pain pills and Suboxone. The Suboxone I started to get off the pain pills but I was using one or the other and couldn’t get off. When I went to Awakenings I got the exact right kind of help I needed and I’ve able to stay sober since coming home after finishing my program. When I started using it was because I wanted to try it, wanted to see what it was like. Such a stupid and costly mistake. When I realized that I’d become dependent on pills I went to my parents for help. I didn’t want to go to rehab because I was afraid that I’d go there and end up with a bigger habit or something. I’d read some stories of that happening to people, or they’d go to rehab for weed and when they left they’d start using meth or something. Because of that fear my parents and I decided on me going to a doctor and getting on Suboxone. Which did help. It got me off the pills. Only then, I couldn’t get off the Suboxone. I was weaned down on the Suboxone till I was taking only a little bit, then I stop taking it and as soon as the withdrawal started, I’d start looking for something to stop it. Whether that was pills or Suboxone I didn’t care. After a year of that my parents decided I needed rehab. I went though I didn’t completely agree. I knew I needed some help and thought that if I could get everything out of my system, then I wouldn’t needed help staying that way. I did do the program, just not as well as I could have. I wasn’t as sincere as I should’ve been, didn’t try as hard as I could’ve. I made it 3 months after coming home before I relapsed. I went back on Suboxone, back to that cycle until my parents found Awakenings and sent me there. It’s a great place for so many reasons. There 2 that were most important to me though was the program itself and the staff there. The program isn’t just one program that everyone does. They have different options there and I found a program that worked best for me. The staff, as soon as I got there they made sure I felt welcome and that I was comfortable. Through my withdrawal they made sure I was as comfortable as possible and continued to be there through my whole program, helping me whenever I needed it. Because of all that I’ve stayed sober since I finished my program and came home. I feel so much better now. I know what to do and how to handle that comes my way and by using what I learned at Awakenings, I know that no matter what I’ll be able to stay sober.

Jessica

The staff is inconsistent. The main positive I remember is that a majority of the staff had been patients at one point and time. So they were relatable.

Kayla

I was one of the very first clients to arrive at this facility. I hope they got there stuff together. However i must say that almost all of the staff truly care, since we were the first set of people there the staff was kind of learning with us. I did not graduate i left MA But i am still sober to this day.

JW

Great place.

crm

During my time at awakenings rehabilitation i learned a great deal about the sober me. I learned my opinion does matter if not to anyone then to me. i want to thank the staff for working with me and helping even when i was rude. they help me like who i am everyday, and understand that the life was living wasn't a life at all. Now, i'm 34 days sober and counting one day at a time. thank you so so much to everyone at awakenings you saved my life.

l.c.

I am employed by awakenings and it is an awesome company to work for.

NH

This facility is AWESOME! The staff always treated me with respect, was patient and gave me the personalized individual care that I desperate needed. This was my 3rd attempt at rehab and I feel the skills I learned at Awakenings will help me for life! The food is the bomb and the family like atmosphere makes clients feel more at ease. I would recommend anyone struggling with addiction to get in touch with their facility ASAP! It will change your life.

JJ

This facility has a great caring staff that go out of their way to help the clients. i would recommend this facility to anyone looking to get help with their addiction.

wyatt

This facility and program exceeded my expectation. The staff was very knowledgeable, some from experience and others from education, but they were there for me every step of my recovery. The facility was very clean and comfortable with plenty to do. Also, the food was great, the chefs at the facility were so funny and cooked us great meals every day.

Bella

You can really tell that the staff is there for their clients. I enjoyed the ability to be creative again in their art therapy class. I also liked how I had options in my recovery plan. And, their food is the best!

GJ

This facility really caters to each individuals personal needs. The staff is so welcoming and caring which makes the recovery process more bearable. I highly recommend this facility to anyone looking for assistance in their road of recovery.

derek

I had been to 6 drug rehabs before I went to awakenings. The staff are great and made me feel good about myself. the program I apply daily and it has been the only one that works for me. Very much appreciate awakenings.

nate

When people arrive to this center they find out very quickly that people care for them and will give a program that works. Awakenings looks at treatment on a person to person basis so that the right program for the individual is delivered and the client has a great foundation to live their life in recovery.

MS

This is a nice, clean facility with staff that really cares about helping patients to overcome their addiction. Don't hesitate to come here as it may just save your life!

William

This Treatment center is by FAR, the best treatment center i have been to. The Staff here really got on my level and offered me support when i was at my most vulnerable. They assisted me in making the changes that i needed to in my life. The facility is top of the line and the kitchen is GREAT! I would 100% recommend this treatment center to a loved one I knew struggling with addiction. They saved my life.

Benjamin

I would like to say thank you to all of the wonderful staff at Awakenings. The kind, compassionate and knowledgeable staff helped me to be the person I was before drugs. I struggled with addiction for over 8 years and am proud to say I will never use drugs again. I could not have accomplished this without the help of the amazing staff. I never believed that I could be drug free. I am now and I love it. Thank you tyo all the staff.

JS

Very respectful, nice and clean environment. This program saves lives everyday and is highly recommended. The staff accommodate to every need to help get clients and patients off of drugs and overcome addiction for good. The best drug facility out there for sure.

Carl

Getting off of drugs and alcohol is not easy by any means at all. I went to Awakenings Rehabilitation a few months ago and am thrill that I did. This treatment center showed me how to get myself out of my own addiction struggle, and they showed me how to give back to my community and how to live a good life drug free.