Azure Acres Recovery Center in Sebastapol, CA

Call (855) 787-9064 to Contact Azure Acres Recovery Center

2264 Green Hill Road
Sebastapol CA 95472

Azure Acres Recovery Center Philosophy

Residential Treatment for Substance Abuse, Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Treatment Approach

Lifetime Aftercare
Family Program
Alumni Program

ABOUT AZURE ACRES IN SEBASTAPOL, CA

Azure Acres, located in Sebastapol, Calif., offers detoxification and residential treatment to men and women aged 18 and older who are struggling with substance use disorders and/or dual diagnoses. The facility was established in 1959 and has treated more than 20,000 individuals. Azure Acres is located about 50 miles north of San Francisco. The facility offers intensive outpatient treatment at facilities in Santa Rosa and Sacramento.

The facility’s treatment program follows the 12-Step model and also incorporates crisis intervention, psychoeducation, cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), client-centered therapy, somatic therapy, and bibliotherapy. Treatment at Azure Acres is designed to be holistic, encompassing mind, body, and spirit. The facility teaches concepts such as surrender, honesty, humility, and acceptance throughout the program.

Clients should contact the facility by phone to schedule a comprehensive screening assessment. To be admitted, clients must be free from serious mental illness and may not be a danger to themselves or others. Prospective clients must also be independently mobile since facility grounds have some steep terrain. The average length of treatment at Azure Acres is 30 days.

Throughout treatment, clients attend Alcoholic and Narcotics Anonymous meetings five times per week and participate in 12-step readings and Big Book study. Upon admission, each client is assigned a “buddy” who will welcome them and provide support throughout treatment. Clients at Azure Acres also benefit from daily educational lectures, men’s and women’s groups, and small group sessions. Families are included in the treatment program through a family program that takes place every other weekend.

Clients at Azure acres are required to complete basic household chores at the residence and must also maintain their living spaces. This facility also offers a unique moving meditation treatment called Qigong. Aftercare is available for all clients who successfully complete the program, and involves a customized continuing care plan for each resident, help transitioning to outpatient programs, and a strong alumni network.

The treatment team at Azure Acres includes an employee with a Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology, a registered recovery worker, and a registered addiction specialist.

The Azure Acres residence is a historic lodge on 30 acres of redwood forest land that was built in 1906. Photos on the facility’s website show shared rooms with a rustic cabin motif. The facility is equipped with a swimming pool, shared outdoor areas, and walking trails to increase the client’s comfort while in treatment. Meals are served family-style, and the facility’s chefs can accommodate special dietary needs. Clients are able to engage in activities such as frisbee golf, basketball, softball, football, and horseshoes throughout treatment.

The eleven alumni polled by Rehabs.com at time of writing gave generally positive reviews. The anonymous clients gave the facility an average score of 2.5 out of five stars for affordability, 2.8 stars for counseling options, and 4 stars stars for staff's level of training and experience. Indeed, several reviewers praised the staff, with some alumni adding: “amazing,” and “love what they do.” Alumni also said the facility is clean, the campus is beautiful, and they appreciated that many staff members are in recovery themselves.One reviewer added additional commentary, saying, “It was magical for me there. I felt the love and genuine compassion. It was life altering there for me. For me because of the beautiful grounds it is on I felt so connected very grounded.”

When asked about weaknesses of Azure Acres, one reviewer said that the location and building could be improved. Another said they did not like the food, and two reviewers said the facility should offer better fitness opportunities.

The four friends and family members polled by Rehabs.com to date gave generally positive reviews.

While one of the four reviewers gave a generally negative review, the other three of the anonymous loved ones gave the facility positive ratings for exercise options and cleanliness. “My son said this was a great program," one loved one wrote,"I wish the program did more about him wanting to leave early because he could have done very well if he stayed longer. Since then he has relapsed.”

When asked about weaknesses of Azure Acres, one loved one said that there was no aftercare, family therapy was rushed, and the outpatient program was disorganized.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding the cost of treatment, since costs can vary based on treatment program and length of stay. However, the facility accepts insurance including Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Beacon Health Options, Cigna, and Value Options. Azure Acres is able to offer financing options as well.

Published on November 2017

Treatment was in a group, but we were treated as individuals. Small groups, different counselors each night. Thursday night was alumni evening and it was really nice to see others who come back on a regular basis.

Sr

Azure Acres detox program was effective. The problem apparently started before our first visit. Our son had provided support to a young epileptic woman who was going through the program. We came on our first visitation day. All was great that day. No one had anything negative to say about our son At ALL. Two days later he was kicked out of the program. I received a call from my son that I had to come and pick him up. 30 minutes later he called to say that I had to pick him up at the Safeway in Sebastopol. I was appalled to say the least. NOONE from azure acres called me prior to the removal, during the removal, or afterwards. I had to pick my son up at a SAFEWAY 3 days after he finished detox. He had no cell phone money or any way to contact me. And NOONE from the facility contacted me (even tho my son had given them permission to talk to me and his dad) prior to his removal. He was NOT drinking or using drugs. His INFRACTION was helping others in the program. Imagine that!!

Tracy

All counselors and other staff are in recovery. Most of them have 15 plus years of recovery. The counselors caseworkers are extremely dedicated to their work and I believe they love what they do. They have a lot of experience and wisdom. The property where facility is is beautiful. Very peaceful. The building is an old hunting lodge. Very homey. It is the social model The kitchen staff does a great job They are on a small budget. Meals are always healthy Lots of fresh fruit and veges. The primary educator there does mostly all of the lectures is amazing. His wisdom and wit knowledge and life experience just drew me in. An amazing man. Even though he may come off a bit gruff. He has the biggest heart out of anyone I know. He was the one who finally got to me. Forever greatfull. AA and NA mtgs are brought in 6 out of 7 days a week. Very strong recovery community in Sebastopol. Lastly to me it's a very spiritual place. Mostly all of the staff are very spiritual and continue to grow their spiritual life. No fitness. Only one Tai Chi class a week. The definitely could beef that area up. Offering yoga tai chi and more massage days. A massage therapist comes in once a week.They don't take residents to outside mtgs Don't have the medical staff. Like a physciatrist to treat e dual diagnosed resident. They have an addictionologist that comes in. Just primarily handles detox meds. Doesn't really treat anything else that's going on with resident. Have to go to ER. All I can say from my own personal expetince. I had been to a few before this place. It was life altering there for me.

Clean but Bad food, worse councilors. After I cut the facility a check, for what was to be the full amount after insurance, I received another bill for 2500 dollars. No itemized bill nor a schedule of payments as requested. So basically out of thin air they decided I owed them more money without any supporting documentation. And eventually put me into collections.

good staff, cares about client recovery

GARRETT

MOST PATHTIC STAFF I HAVE COME ACROSS, RUDE AND OBNOXIOS

It was a life saver! The employees are all recovering alcoholic/addicts. They are available 24/7 and really care out their clients. However, the location and the building could use improvements.

Jennifer

The staff is what can make or break a rehab & really influence what you will do after you leave. I stayed at Azure Acres for 90 days when the norm is 30, so I can say with confidence, if you want to get clean or sober with caring, knowledgeable, loving staff that have also been addicted then go to Azure Acres. When the staff have 43 years, 26 years, 10 years, 3 years clean & sober then they know EXACTLY what you are up against. Strengths include: The staff are all amazing, in a beautiful location, they bring in 12 step mtgs to introduce you to them before you get out, the rooms are nice, the food is great, awesome aftercare program & did i mention the staff? They are amazing. I've been out for 2 years now & i still chat with one of them a couple of times a week. They could stand to upgrade the exercise equipment bcuz exercise helps so much during detox. Also, more offerings of groups that are all male & all female. One per week isn't enough when some people only feel comfortable with the same sex.

Stephanie

Excellent and experienced counselors that were fantastic!

Javier

The counselors were all great in treating my son while he was there. They always kept me updated. They could have done more about him wanting to leave early. My son said this was a great program. I noticed a slight change when he got home and wanted to do better in life. I wish the program did more about him wanting to leave early because he could have done very well if he stayed longer. Since then he has relapsed.

Program worked for me!

Beautiful people

anonymous

Don't feel like there was anyone there with any experience other than real life experience, but no schooling. Family therapy was rushed and not very comprehensive. It would have been easy for someone to sneak drugs in, though I don't know why you would. Their aftercare was none. Using their outpatient program currently and it is extremely disorganized and not worth the money. The one good thing was the food they served was amazing. The addict gained so much needed weight.

DT

This is a great facility! However, rehab is not a "cure"- only the first of many steps to be taken. The real work starts upon return to "the real world".

James

When my 28 days were up, they sent me packing without bus fare in the pouring rain.

holly

Awesome place to go with great counselors who know addiction from experience, that meant alot to me. Wonderful food, very clean living conditions and a great choice to go. I would highy recommend Azure Ac