Behavioral Wellness & Recovery in West Chester, PA

(5 of 5)
1301 Wrights Lane E
West Chester PA 19382

Behavioral Wellness & Recovery Philosophy

At Behavioral Wellness and Recovery of Pennsylvania we are committed to being a driving force of empowerment and hope for individuals, families and communities affected by substance use disorders.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
    EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.

Long-term recovery training and strategic planning

Community and peer-based models such as 12-step mutual aid programs

A comprehensive approach to substance use disorder treatment

George Chu

Ph.D

Dr. Chu has a MBA from the Wharton School of Finance and a Ph.D. from Adelphi University. He received his BA from the University of Michigan Dr. Chu has twenty-five years’ experience in operations and finance. He has provided operational support and/or initiated, structured and financed transactions for private companies in healthcare, high technology, manufacturing and in financial services.

Zach Miers

Lead Counselor

Zach has a Master’s in Professional Counseling from Liberty University and a Master’s in American History. He obtained his CAADC in May, 2016. Has been a counselor since 2013.

ABOUT BEHAVIORAL WELLNESS & RECOVERY

Providing a range of programs for individuals struggling with substance abuse, Behavioral Wellness and Recovery (BWR) is a family-centric rehabilitation center in West Chester, Penn. Clients along with friends and family members in their social support systems participate in individualized treatment plans designed to help them heal and prepare for long-term recovery. Services include partial hospitalization (PHP), intensive outpatient (IOP), outpatient (OP), and community-based aftercare programs. BWR does not offer on-site detox; however, it has close relationships with local detox centers and will help facilitate admissions and then seamless transition to BWR programs.

Evidence-based therapies are the foundation of BWR addiction treatments. Men and women living with the consequences of substance abuse and co-occurring disorders have access to dialectical behavior and cognitive behavioral therapies, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing, and other holistic practices featuring 12-step programs, nutrition, meditation, group counseling sessions, art therapy, and exercise.

PHP is the highest level of care at BWR. For clients in PHP or IOP, BWR partners with sober living homes close to the facility for them to stay during treatment. In the PHP, clients spend several hours each day at BWR in treatment. Select patients in the IOP may continue to go to work or school while enrolled in this BWR service. Outpatient programs run seven days a week as individuals progress from initial assessment of their current condition and history into intensive, traditional therapy complemented by positive, sober recreational activities. Specialized care is offered for clients diagnosed with PTSD and substance abuse.

The involvement of family members and other loved ones in the rehabilitation process as well as in long-term recovery is a high priority and family therapies are offered all stages of care.

BWR’s director holds a master’s degree in professional counseling and education. Staff members include certified alcohol and drug addiction counselors, a psychologist, licensed social workers, professional clinical counselors with master’s degrees, recreation and family therapists. Clients receive on-site services from medical and psychiatric staff, as needed.

Recommended sober living housing is in a historic building close to the center. Recovery housing is monitored 24/7 and all clients have a roommate.

Four alumni, polled by Rehabs.com to date, described positive experiences at BWR. Andrew expressed appreciation for staff members who were “dedicated in helping each individual.” Alum G.O., a top five-star reviewer, offered: “You have struck gold as far as insurance dependent treatment is concerned!” Clearly reflecting the trend in alumni reviews, Gregg wrote: “I would recommend BWR to any one in my family or friends family."

Nine Google reviews published at the time of this writing (a mix of alumni and loved ones) rated the facility an average of 4.7 stars out of five. Of the total, eight offered very positive, top five-star feedback. Several former clients regarded their experience at BWR as life changing. Chris wrote: "I went to Behavioral Wellness and Recovery and I can honestly say it truly changed my life." [1] Michael echoed that sentiment: "BWR was the best experience of my life. It fundamentally changed me and my long standing negative core beliefs."

The sole loved one polled by Rehabs.com to date had only good things to say about his wife's experience at BWR. This anonymous loved one gave the facility consistent top five-stars in the major categories of the Rehabs.com survey -- treatment effectiveness, accommodations/amenities, and meals and nutrition. This anonymous husband commented: "The staff, accommodations and treatment was superb. I cannot give any higher recommendation."

All but one of the Google reviews from loved ones of BWR clients recommended the program. Joanne wrote: “The treatment team is fantastic, they taught me how to love my son without enabling him" and added "My son has 8 months clean." However, Mike claimed: "my son went here and it was terrible he felt uncomfortable and got no help."

According to the facility’s website, BWR accepts more than half a dozen PPO insurance plans from major carriers.

1. goo.gl/H7kW98

Published on October 2017

From the very beginning of stepping foot into this program, I felt very comfortable with the natural vibe and environment I was put in. I have been to many programs (unfortunately), but BWR helped me reach a point of no return, to the way I was living before. Without the unceasing support from my therapist , and the healing I received throughout the 6 weeks I was there, I don't know if I'd be still sober today, just for today! BTW, the review about the food, not sure what that person is talking about because the food was well above my standards. Willing to bet that same person was eating out of dumpsters before coming to BWR. Thank you, BWR! For saving my life

This program was unlike any I had before, from admissions to discharge the program is one of the best I have ever been to and I have been to quite a few. Thank you BWR!

DON'T SEND YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, OR LOVED ONES HERE! There are many places that truly will help treat the fellow addict, that practice and believe in the 12 step program, safe and responsible facilities. If you have a loved one that is an addict, get them the help that they need, but don't send them here because it will only worsen the problem. I am disgusted with the fact that I wasted my money on this program. The men that work in administration are a joke, they lied straight to my face about this "wonderful" program and we are worse off than we were before coming to this disgrace of a facility.

We are truly sorry that you feel this was your experience. We welcome the opportunity to speak to you more about any concerns you have. Beginning with our first contact, we strive to ensure that all aspects of our program including the 12-Step Philosophy (a strong foundation our program) are fully explained and understood by potential clients and their loved ones so they are able to make an informed decision on the fit of our program for them. We are saddened to hear that your loved one is not doing well and would be happy to assist you in finding them the treatment they need, even if you choose an alternate program. We are always here to support former and current clients, and their families. We encourage you to reach out to us to discuss your above concerns.

BWR is a great place to get help. Having never been to rehab or after care treatment before I didn't know what to expect. They actually listened to my opinions and concerns and I was able to get my life back. I'd recommend to anyone I know who may need help!

My wife was in bad shape. As a last resort we tried BWR. You guys are miracle workers! She is doing extremely well and actually enjoyed her stay. The staff, accommodations and treatment was superb. I cannot give any higher recommendation. Thank you all, and continued success.

Amazing recovery experience. Small intimate setting where you aren't just a number. I had tons of individual and family therapy sessions. Way more than any other rehab trip. My counselor included my wife and son in my recovery, creating a life-changing experience for our whole family. I've failed after attending numerous other treatment programs, but now I have sustained sobriety because of this center's approach. Their program is set up for 42 days, all covered by insurance.

I would recommend BWR to any one in my family or friends family.

BWR is a first class treatment facility. The team at BWR truly cares abd is extremely dedicated in helping each individual. I strongly recommend this facility!

What a gem of a treatment program! Top notch in every way. You have struck gold as far as insurance dependent treatment is concerned!