Behavioral Wellness & Recovery in West Chester, PA

(5 of 5)
1301 Wrights Lane E
West Chester PA 19382

Behavioral Wellness & Recovery Philosophy

At Behavioral Wellness and Recovery of Pennsylvania we are committed to being a driving force of empowerment and hope for individuals, families and communities affected by substance use disorders.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
    EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.

Long-term recovery training and strategic planning

Community and peer-based models such as 12-step mutual aid programs

A comprehensive approach to substance use disorder treatment

George Chu

Ph.D

Dr. Chu has a MBA from the Wharton School of Finance and a Ph.D. from Adelphi University. He received his BA from the University of Michigan Dr. Chu has twenty-five years’ experience in operations and finance. He has provided operational support and/or initiated, structured and financed transactions for private companies in healthcare, high technology, manufacturing and in financial services.

Zach Miers

Lead Counselor

Zach has a Master’s in Professional Counseling from Liberty University and a Master’s in American History. He obtained his CAADC in May, 2016. Has been a counselor since 2013.

ABOUT BEHAVIORAL WELLNESS & RECOVERY

Behavioral Wellness and Recovery (BWR) is a family-centric rehabilitation center that serves men and women struggling with substance use (SUD) and co-occurring disorders in West Chester, Penn, just 45 minutes west of Philadelphia. One of just 114 (22.7 percent of) residential programs in the state of Pennsylvania, the Joint-Commission accredited 40-bed facility offers dual diagnosis treatment at both residential and outpatient levels of care.

BWR does not offer on-site detox, however, according to its website, it can help facilitate admissions into a nearby affiliated detox center.

All clients undergo an assessment of psychosocial, medical, substance use, and psychiatric evaluations upon arrival at Behavioral Wellness and Recovery.

At the root of BWR programs is the belief that addiction is not a bad habit, but the result of a multitude of factors that can be addressed using a combination of conventional and nontraditional treatments. As such, men and women aged 18 and older can expect to participate in a diverse evidence-based curriculum of cognitive behavioral (CBT) and dialectical behavior (DBT) therapies, the Seeking Safety program, as well as art, music, and recreation.

While BWR offers residential treatment for up to 40 clients, it also has outpatient care options - including partial hospitalization (PHP), intensive outpatient (IOP), and traditional outpatient (OP) - for those not in need in 24-hour support. Regardless of their route taken, all clients work with their counselor and case manager in preparing a discharge plan that incorporates housing, employment, follow-up care, and involvement in the local recovery community.

BWR also partners with a local sober living home, providing PHP and IOP clients with daily transportation to and from the facility. The PHP focuses on providing a safe and healthy community environment whereas the IOP allows for dual commitments to both treatment and work or school. Where appropriate, BWR encourages family participation at all stages of care.

The clinical staff at BWR consists of certified alcohol and drug addiction counselors, licensed psychologists and social workers, and a master’s level recreation therapist.

According to its website, BWR has capacity to accommodate 40 adult men and women at a time. The sober living recommended by BWR is located in a nearby historic home with 24-hour support. There, rooms are spacious and shared.

The roughly half a dozen alumni polled by Rehabs.com as of this writing shared detailed accounts of highly positive treatment experiences. Collectively, BWR alumni expressed their appreciation for a dedicated, supportive, and caring staff and a “gem of a treatment program” that provided a “small intimate setting where you aren’t just a number.” The five alumni polled on the matter gave five out of five stars for treatment, accommodations, and meals.

On Google, where 29 individuals awarded BWR an excellent 4.1 out of five stars, many were similarly grateful for the time they were able to “rebuild” their lives, as Sara put it. “Never once felt judged and someone was always there to listen to me!” she added. “I'd recommend to anyone who may be seeking help.[1]

Several found the program life-changing. “I went to Behavioral Wellness and Recovery and I can honestly say it truly changed my life,” wrote Chris. Michael, another alum, called BWR “the best experience” of his life. “It fundamentally changed me and my long standing negative core beliefs,” he told Google.

The single loved one surveyed by Rehabs.com to date had positive feedback on his wife's experience at BWR. Awarding five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, P.W.A. commented on a “superb” staff and well-run treatment program. “I cannot give any higher recommendation,” he told Rehabs.com.

Loved ones writing to Google were also pleased. Joanna told of a “fantastic” treatment team who taught her how to love her son “without enabling him.”

Treatment comes to $1695 a day. According to its website, BWR works with major PPO health insurance plans including Aetna, Cigna, Humana, and Blue Cross Blue Shield, making it one of just 350 (69.7 percent) facilities statewide that accept private health insurance.

[1] GoogleReview

Published on November 2018

From the very beginning of stepping foot into this program, I felt very comfortable with the natural vibe and environment I was put in. I have been to many programs (unfortunately), but BWR helped me reach a point of no return, to the way I was living before. Without the unceasing support from my therapist , and the healing I received throughout the 6 weeks I was there, I don't know if I'd be still sober today, just for today! BTW, the review about the food, not sure what that person is talking about because the food was well above my standards. Willing to bet that same person was eating out of dumpsters before coming to BWR. Thank you, BWR! For saving my life

This program was unlike any I had before, from admissions to discharge the program is one of the best I have ever been to and I have been to quite a few. Thank you BWR!

DON'T SEND YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, OR LOVED ONES HERE! There are many places that truly will help treat the fellow addict, that practice and believe in the 12 step program, safe and responsible facilities. If you have a loved one that is an addict, get them the help that they need, but don't send them here because it will only worsen the problem. I am disgusted with the fact that I wasted my money on this program. The men that work in administration are a joke, they lied straight to my face about this "wonderful" program and we are worse off than we were before coming to this disgrace of a facility.

We are truly sorry that you feel this was your experience. We welcome the opportunity to speak to you more about any concerns you have. Beginning with our first contact, we strive to ensure that all aspects of our program including the 12-Step Philosophy (a strong foundation our program) are fully explained and understood by potential clients and their loved ones so they are able to make an informed decision on the fit of our program for them. We are saddened to hear that your loved one is not doing well and would be happy to assist you in finding them the treatment they need, even if you choose an alternate program. We are always here to support former and current clients, and their families. We encourage you to reach out to us to discuss your above concerns.

BWR is a great place to get help. Having never been to rehab or after care treatment before I didn't know what to expect. They actually listened to my opinions and concerns and I was able to get my life back. I'd recommend to anyone I know who may need help!

My wife was in bad shape. As a last resort we tried BWR. You guys are miracle workers! She is doing extremely well and actually enjoyed her stay. The staff, accommodations and treatment was superb. I cannot give any higher recommendation. Thank you all, and continued success.

Amazing recovery experience. Small intimate setting where you aren't just a number. I had tons of individual and family therapy sessions. Way more than any other rehab trip. My counselor included my wife and son in my recovery, creating a life-changing experience for our whole family. I've failed after attending numerous other treatment programs, but now I have sustained sobriety because of this center's approach. Their program is set up for 42 days, all covered by insurance.

I would recommend BWR to any one in my family or friends family.

BWR is a first class treatment facility. The team at BWR truly cares abd is extremely dedicated in helping each individual. I strongly recommend this facility!

What a gem of a treatment program! Top notch in every way. You have struck gold as far as insurance dependent treatment is concerned!