Cedar Hills Hospital in Portland, OR

10300 SW Eastridge St
Portland OR 97225

Cedar Hills Hospital Philosophy

Welcome to Cedar Hills Hospital, where we believe healing your mind is just as important as healing your body. We understand the intricacies of life and how it can cause psychiatric distress, substance use / abuse and unbalanced emotions, but we are here to help. Our comfortable, non-judgmental environment invites adults to take their life back from mental illness, drugs and alcohol.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• Intensive Outpatient (IOP)
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

Managing Cravings

Sober Living Activities

Relapse Prevention

Brian Esparza, MD

Medical Director

Dr. Brian Esparza completed both his medical education and residency training at the University Of Washington School Of Medicine. As a graduate of a top ten medical school in the country, Dr. Esparza is well trained with state-of-the-art evidence based treatment. He currently serves as the medical director for Cedar Hills Hospital and Outpatient Services. Dr. Esparza has a particular interest in chemical dependency treatment and co-occurring disorders. He is a member of the American Board of Addiction Medicine and he is board certified in Psychiatry. Dr. Esparza is bilingual and fluent in English and Spanish.

Bryan Dixon III, MD

Attending Psychiatrist

Dr. Bryan Dixon serves as an attending psychiatrist for the all of our mental health and chemical dependency programs. He earned his medical degree at Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock, Texas. Dr. Dixon completed his residency in psychiatry at the University of North Carolina Hospital in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and is board certified in psychiatry.

ABOUT CEDAR HILLS HOSPITAL

Cedar Hills Hospital is located six miles west of downtown Portland. It is a private hospital that offers a full spectrum of treatment options for adults 18 and older struggling with mental illness and substance abuse. Medical detox is available on-site for those that need it. Substance abuse, mental health, pain management, and co-occurring disorders are available as well. There are special programs available for women and military personnel. Clients can also enroll in intensive outpatient (IOP) and partial hospitalization (PHP) programs. Aftercare services are available to clients that completed the programs.

All of Cedar Hills Hospital’s clients are assessed by the facility’s assessment specialists to determine each client’s individual needs. After an appointment is scheduled, the admissions staff begins verifying insurance coverage so the level of covered services will be available before the interview. If the facility is not able to address a client’s needs, referrals to other facilities are provided.

The residential program is for clients who are experiencing moderate to severe chemical dependency and mental health symptoms. Treatment methodologies are built upon evidence-based principles. The facility provides group therapy and medication management. While individual therapy may be an option, it is not implemented for every patient based on each patient’s needs.

The residential behavioral pain management program treats those struggling with chronic pain and/or substance abuse. The program teaches new coping skills, and follows a holistic approach using a combination of group therapy with medication management.

Specialized programs for women and military veterans are available. The residential military program is designed to help service members process trauma and resolve addiction issues. Theresidential women’s program focuses on providing a safe atmosphere for women with a history of trauma. All residential programs are complemented by holistic therapies including acupuncture, massage, and yoga.

Outpatient treatment is offered in partial hospitalization (PHP) and intensive outpatient (IOP) programs. Both programs offer intensive group therapy and medication management. Separate PHP treatment tracks are available for mental health and substance abuse, as well as a specialized women’s program.

IOP programs include mental health, substance abuse, behavioral pain management, co-occurring disorders, and dedicated tracks for women and impaired professionals. Aftercare services are also available for alumni who are invited to attend a weekly hour-long aftercare group.

The facility recruits staff members with credentials and advanced degrees in their specific medical fields. Qualified doctors oversee the medical and mental health operations. Clients will also interact with nurses, certified counselors, and administrative staff throughout their treatment.

Photos published on the Cedar Hills Hospital’s website show a modern building with a cafeteria-style dining room and a fitness area. Group meeting spaces are available for counseling sessions. Smaller officers are used for individual and small group meetings. The décor is professional, like what would be expected of a doctor’s office. The facility appears to be in very good condition.

To date, two alumni have submitted feedback to Rehabs.com for Cedar Hills Hospital. One review was positive and one negative.

Alum L.R. gave perfect five-star ratings for the level of staff support, cleanliness, and the training and respect found in staff, but added of one teacher: “Her idea of session was her hand-outs (on topic) which we would all read aloud, taking turns. A complete waste of everyone's time.”

Alum Kevin gave one out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, as well as two out of five stars for accommodations and amenities. He wrote: “Do not go here if you're in crisis mode. This is a for profit hospital and they will do anything to keep the beds filled. They have some great staff that is underpaid for the overwork they do due to constant short staffing problems. Treatment is limited to twice daily group therapy sessions and you're not even required to attend those sessions.”

On Google, the facility received both perfect five out of five star and mere one-star reviews, and little in between. [1] As a result, the facility has 2.8 out of five stars from 35 reviews to date. Several reviewers claimed that the facility seemed more interested in collecting payment than in helping clients. For example, Judy wrote: “It was a very pricey non value added scheme… to see to it that this for profit institution got the most they could get from my insurance.”

Yet some Google reviewers did have successful stays at Cedar Hills Hospital. Alum Ann wrote: “I want to commend the staff for their compassion, understanding and tireless work to ensure the relative comfort of all patients, myself included.”

The five reviews from loved ones ranged from terrible to good.

Two of the loved ones polled by Rehabs.com gave four out of five stars or higher for the level and quality of family involvement. Other reviewers praised the “understanding, patient and caring staff.”

Holistic offerings were given two out of five stars or lower, which may explain one reviewer’s comment: “It was helpful for my husband, but he got very bored.”

Cedar Hills Hospital does not accept Medicaid, but it does accept Medicare, Tricare, and several private insurances. Self-payment is also accepted on a case-by-case basis.

[1] goo.gl/yHbKY5

Published on October 2017

Please be warned. Have advocacy in place before leaving vulnerable family members. This is a money making facility where the stabilization unit where the doctor “evaluates” patients with about as much compassion and professionalism as a Jailer. It is impossible to communicate with staff caring for your family member. And when your family member is a young teen who has never been in a psychiatric facility, let alone a locked unit, this is problematic. My daughter sought care herself was completely self motivated and I fear her only goal is to “be allowed home!!! I was initially told there was no plan in place because she “just got here” First of all she had been there for almost a day and then I was told that the doctor would call me back, followed by “when she wants” Who talks on the phone to scared family like this? It continues because when I finally got a call it was a tremendous inconvenience to the doctor, who gave single word answers and was incredibly defended and I hadn’t even been able to discuss my daughter and provide history. It was clear she did not care. I told her my daughter is calling me terrified witnessing scenes on this adult locked unit that she couldn’t have imagined. The doctor got immediately into a mode where she kept repeating these bored phrases “I’m sorry you feel that way” over and over, except I wasn’t expressing a feeling or any sort of statement that a response like that made any sense whatsoever. It’s like she is inconvenienced by her patients and my daughter is completely powerless and more scared than ever. She will never seek care out again and I’m so saddened by what is happening but the doctor is so well versed in being defended that all I can do is tell my kid that it is just an example of life being unfair. It would be extremely wise to check out the doctor and this unit at Cedar Hills Hospital. You will also see there is no contact available for patients or family to reach out to other than the main switchboard. Vulnerable mentality ill people are not a population that can or should have to tolerate or experience this, it is actually the most inappropriate scenario one could imagine. Please research this doctor and facility if you have younger family members needing help. This will take serious treatment just to deal with the experience let alone the problems leading you to seek care.

This place is the worst. We drove 3 hours to get my husband help with alcohol detox. Did all the paperwork needed and I left him to get better. Drove 2.5 hours home and got a call that they would not help him because he forgot his Cpap machine. He asked if he could rent one for his stay. They refused. My 70 year old husband sat outside for another 3 hours until I could get back and pick him up. Mind you, he just had hip surgery 4 months ago and walks on a cane. I felt like he was treated with no respect. DON'T GO THERE!!!

A few days ago, I was discharged from Cedar Hills' inpatient mental health program. Come to find, I was sent home without a new prescription OR my old meds. So we played phone tag with Cedar Hills for a couple days, told them that no prescription was sent home with me or pushed through to the pharmacy, nor did they return my meds that I came in with. They're just flat out doing nothing about it.

My experience at Cedar Hills was not good. I did not feel listened to. There were a few good nurses who I could tell felt bad for me but overall this was a terrible experience. They room men and women in the same hallway and I had an unfortunate encounter with another patient. I would not put my loved one in this facility and advice that you don’t either.

WOW from intake to check out it was a total positive experience. I was blown away with the Doctor, the Therapy staff, and the Nursing staff. EVERYONE was respectful helpful and totally set me up for success! The ONLY credit I give myself is I WAS READY! And one of the real cool things was their sense of humor.

This hospital discharged my wife and didn't tell any of her family members. She was walking on the streets of Portland for two days until the police picked her up and took her to Providence hospital. They don't care

I've had a mixed experience here. I was admitted in the middle of the night after my suicide attempt and I was not told a single thing from the hospital; like where I was going and what was going to happen. These creepy transport dudes walked me up to some creepy side door and I wasn't able to wear my shoes. I was able to make calls and receive messages (eventually) I wanted to get help after I knew where and why I was at cedar hills so I attended the extensive therapy sessions they had for us multiple times a day and participated in yoga and whatever activities they had for us. I was also fed I even saw the staff accommodate peoples diet restrictions. However, I was there for 5 months being prescribed new medication after new medication my dosages were changed every two days. I couldn't keep up with the information and side effects. My brain and body were reacting badly to these heavy last resort sedatives and antipsychotics. My family was worried and also couldn't keep up with what I was taking.. I had an epic psychosis episode ( i was not a danger to anyone) and no one was helping me with reality I was scared for my life and in the height of my manic episode, 3 nurses held me down and gave me an injection. no warning. I always asked when my release date was and they kept changing it and I was told left and right i "might get out next week" or "soon". It really did begin to feel like a mini prison. S. I was in a very fragile state and my family even told the staff how letting a stranger just visit me in the hospital was not ok. Cedar Hills really needs some better training..

I tried multiple times over two days to get ahold of my son there. The staff kept telling me I would have to talk with someone who was not available. I would leave messages with these staff, but I never got a single call back. How can they operate a business like this?

The worst communication out of any facility. Days go by with no one relaying important messages. No return calls. Zero care of the actual patients well being.

My wife was sent here after having a mental health issue, they put their faces in the DSM and don't actually talk with patients. nor show patience, but spend more time trying to justify a diagnosis so they can be paid by insurance, instead of actually looking into the mental issues someone is having. Couple that with their 'wonderful' accounting department, that decides it's a great idea to hang up in the middle of a conversation because they don't want to deal with the frustration you are leveling at them for their complete lack of actually doing anything to help the situation, but sure do want the money for the stay. Since I have very good insurance, I feel they were more worried about milking that for all it was worth and not actually trying to help my wife with the issues at hand. Be very wary about how mental health is approached by this place, and so many others, because Pharma has trained them that pills are the answer, and not actually listening to and talking with the patients.

This place is hell. I would give them a -5 if I could. Untrained and extremely unprofessional staff. The charge nurse had no personal boundaries with patients. I was forced to stay in a room with cleaningchemicals I can’t tolerate, for 5 hours. They tried to bully and intimidate me. Their administration and charge nurse refused to return my family members’ calls. Their techs were ignorant of patient rights, . Their system took advantage of more vulnerable patients. I was not given a toothbrush, soap or a comb until I asked for them. The only alternative clothes they had were paper, so I wore the same clothes every day and washed my underwear each night. I have worked as a professional in this field for many years and am appalled that they are licensed. This was the closest to jail that I have ever experienced, but maybe jail is less sadistic. I still experience PTSD from my stay there. In addition, they kept billing and harassing me, although I repeatedly left messages with their billing office and never returned my calls. They only stopped after I filed a formal complaint. This is an institution that appears to hire the least qualified staff and maximize their profits from government-paid healthcare.

HORIBLE PLACE! STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS IF SEEKING MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT!

I dropped my niece off at this facility with a feeling of hope and "assuming" she would be well taken care of. Four days into her stay she suffered seizure from withdrawal. She would up at Providence Hospital where the doctor(s) developed a protocol to slowly decrease her medication. Upon her being admitted to the hospital, Cedar Hills washed their hands of her and discharged her--giving away her bed--and making it her responsibility to pick up her belongings from them. This was hard because her family and friends live almost 200 miles away. Would not recommend this facility to anyone. Do not take anyone you care about there. My niece has spent a week in the hospital and will be transferred to another care facility.

I attended the Cedar Hills military program. It was outstanding! The treatment is evidence-based, kind, insightful, and healing. The staff were excellent all-around! I felt safe, cared for, and respected. As a physician myself, I felt the medical and psychiatric staff physicians were outstanding. The nursing staff was kind, thoughtful, friendly and professional! I thought the food was good. But even as I was getting ready to leave the program, They began a focus group about how to improve the food! It’s not a prison. You can leave whenever you want. But if you’re serious about recovering from mental illness/alcohol or drug addictions, why would you want to leave this outstanding program? I would highly recommend Cedar Hills Hospital inpatient and outpatient program to my most beloved family member. I was lucky to go there!

Cedar Hills Hospital's dedicated in-patient program for Active Duty/National Guard/Reserves/Military Family Members and Veterans is among the best in the county. Its clinical and nursing staff are hand-picked for their passion to serve the Military and Military related patient. The program is a preferred provider for both TriCare and TriWest CHOICE as well as the VA. As a Wounded Warrior myself, and having been directly affiliated with this program first with the US Special Operations Command Wounded Care Program and then as CHH's military liaison, I would have no issue with sending a loved one, friend, or family member to CHH - Military Program.

The worst ten days of my life. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. I came out worse than I went in. IT IS A LOCK DOWN! It took 5 days to even see a doctor and never saw a therapist until I was discharged. Food is horrible and so salty they had to put me on lasics. A horrible experience ...Please consider other options before going or putting a loved one in there!

Spent 47 days here last year. It was HORRIBLE!!!

This place is a mini prison, I brought my husband there he didn't get any help they just put him in a room to detox, no comfort what so ever. I wouldn't send my enemy there .

After forty-five years of narcotic use to treat chronic severe back I found this mode of treatment no longer effective. Cedar Hills got me detoxed and has continued to help me adjust to a new life paradigm. The staff was wonderful at all levels

Horrible experience. It's sad because for the most part the people that work there are good people. If you have a serious medical condition do not go there. The Doctors think they know everything, and because of that and the fact that it's a psych hospital, they don't listen to the patients. If it comes to them having to call an ambulance for you, good luck, it generally won't happen, it makes them look bad, and remember, you're locked in...

Be careful with Cedar Hills they were quick to separate me from my loved one and money, now I have questions and the business office won't return my calls. Admitting my loved one was an extremely high pressure experience that reminded me of buying a used car! Worse, this choice was forced upon us.

A family member was sent here by a local hospital for the detox program. I do believe that part of the program was effective, but I have no basis for comparison. Sadly, other mental health problems surfaced during the stay and my family member decompensated and the hospital was unable to help or manage her needs. She worsened... At Cedar Hills, there is no psychiatrist on site to meet with patients. Only a Nurse Practitioner. The medication management was confusing and we were never able to meet one on one with the nurse practitioner. The environment was rather drab and often chaotic. The visiting hours are minimal and not convenient. And the place didn't seem all that clean. When my person was discharged, they sent her out a back door through what looked like a furniture dump of their trashed furniture. I would not recommend this place if there were alternative treatment sites.

My daughter was admitted to cedar hills today. The people who go to cedar hills need help so they can get better not to be given meds by irresponsible staff.

Friendly staff. Need more addiction education. Smoking allowed fun activities and groups visitation allowed

It was helpful for my husband, but he got very bored. It seems effective

Overall a good program

I had 2 "teachers": one in the morning for 2 sessions; one in the afternoon for 2 sessions. The morning teacher was a true "newbie". Her idea of session was her hand-outs (on topic) which we would all read aloud, taking turns. A complete waste of everyone's time, and I couldn't believe she was being PAID for this.

Caregivers really try to help and understand. Understanding, patient and caring staff.