Center for Healing in Ewing, NJ

20 Scotch Road Suite C
Ewing NJ 08628

Center for Healing Philosophy

At Center for Healing we believe in treating people like people and not just a number. Our staff knows each client and designs the treatment plans around the specific needs of each individual. At Center for Healing clients feel like they are home.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
    The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.

Vivitrol available

Seen weekly by our physician

Medication management

Erica Mortimer, MA, LPC, LCADC

CEO and Owner

Erica has earned a Bachelors Degree in Psychology from Clemson University and a Masters Degree in Counseling from the University of South Florida. Having worked in schools, prisons and mental health facilities, Erica brings to the table a unique perspective to addiction and mental health treatment.

Erica holds the following certifications:

State of New Jersey as a Special Education Teacher
State of New Jersey School Counselor
State of New Jersey Director of Counseling
State of New Jersey School Principal
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC)

A strong leader in the community, people turn to Erica for advice, guidance and direction. With compassion, Erica offers, practical and straight forward feedback to those struggling with addiction and their families. Having a deep understanding of addiction, the impact on the family, and how best to combat the disease of addiction, Erica is known to do whatever it takes to assist those fighting to regain their lives and families.

While is not common to find the the owner of most treatment centers actively involved in the daily operations, Erica is not only actively involved in all aspects of Center for Healing, but Erica has an open door policy and clients are always welcome to come in and chat.

Erica founded Center for Healing in 2012 after becoming frustrated with the lack of treatment options in New Jersey. Erica set out to create a treatment experience that she would feel comfortable sending one of her own family members to. Erica is keenly aware that every client is a son, daughter, brother, sister maybe even a parent to someone who loves them very much. She does not take the responsibility of substance abuse treatment lightly. A stickler for ensuring ethical and safe treatment practices, Erica pursued and was awarded Joint Commission Accreditation in February 2016.

Over the years Erica has been involved in various non-profit organizations offering family support and participating in drug and alcohol interventions. Under Erica’s leadership, influences and guidance, hundreds of lives have been changed for the better. In 2011, Erica served as a member of the Governor's Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse (GCADA). Nominated by Congressman Chris Smith and appointed by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

Dan Maurer, MA, LAC, LCADC Intern

Primary Therapist

A Licensed Associate Counselor, Dan has earned a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Rowan University, as well as a Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling from Eastern University. With experience in various mental health settings, Dan has developed a unique approach to dealing with addiction and mental health issues. Dan’s experience includes: crisis hotline, co-occurring partial hospitalization program, suboxone program, substance abuse intensive outpatient program, college counseling center, and working with emotionally disturbed adolescents. Dan operates from a person-centered perspective and utilizes a variety of techniques derived from cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, and solution-focused therapy.

Described by his colleagues as “undercover funny”, Dan’s sense of humor, as well as his compassionate, non-judgmental approach, allows him to break barriers that too often stand in the way of treatment. Dan collaborates and works closely with each of his clients achieve their personal goals.

ABOUT CENTER FOR HEALING

Located in the township of Ewing, in the heart of New Jersey between N.Y.C. and Philadelphia, Center for Healing (C4H) offers several outpatient treatment options for adults and adolescents struggling with substance abuse andco-occurring mental health disorders.

C4H facilitates individualized, strengths-based, holistic care provided by a team of addiction and mental health professionals and identifies as a LGBTQ-friendly facility. Within the state, C4H is among 56.7 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities with programs for adult men, 61.9 percent with programs for adult women, 62.2 percent with specially tailored programs for clients with co-occurring disorders, and among 34 percent with specially tailored programs for adolescents.

C4H prides itself on using an integrated approach to treating clients. The process starts with a complete assessment by an assigned counselor or therapist. The C4H treatment program is built around positive psychology and the 12-Steps.

The professional team incorporates evidence-based modalities, such as motivational interviewing (MI) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), through individual and group counseling sessions. Gender-specific sessions and a weekly dual diagnosis group are also available.

Mindfulness is emphasized for relapse prevention, and clients are encouraged to participate in yoga as a complement to talk-therapy. C4H uses Vivitrol, as needed, to support recovery from opiate addictions. Families also are encouraged to participate in programming throughout treatment.

“Partial Care” is the most intensive level of outpatient treatment available at C4H; this highly structured offering for adults, similar to a partial hospitalization program (PHP), entails at least 20 hours of programming per week.

The intensive outpatient program (IOP) meets nine hours per week, during which clients are expected to attend at least four 12-step meetings per week. Standard outpatient care (OP) follows the same treatment track, with less frequent meetings. Within the state, C4H is among 23 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities with a PHP, 65.4 percent with an IOP, and among 85.5 percent with an OP.

Adolescents and their families may attend a specialized IOP three days per week for three-hour sessions. Standard outpatient counseling is also offered for adolescents from one to three hours per week.

Aftercare options include a treatment concierge program, under which an assigned consultant calls the alum to check on their progress and schedules meetings with them. The center also offers 24/7 relapse-prevention emergency support, via the phone. The facility's website references an active alumni program, which includes support meetings and social events.

Within the state, C4H is among 19.2 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities accredited by the Joint Commission. C4H was founded by a master’s-level counselor who previously served on the New Jersey Governor's Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse.

Other members of the treatment team include a board-certified medical director, psychiatrist, clinical supervisor, licensed certified drug and alcohol counselors, primary therapists, counselor, and medical liaison. Many members of the staff are also in recovery, and multiple staff members provide smoking cessation treatment. To date, the five individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com offered glowing reviews concerning the aptitude of staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 5/5

At the time of this writing, six former clients submitted mostly favorable feedback about C4H to Rehabs.com: five extremely positive reviews and one negative review. The three alumni who responded to a detailed survey awarded the maximum five stars for counseling options, family participation, holistic offerings, likelihood to recommend, and staff experience and training.

All five satisfied alumni praised the counselors. In a representative review, one alum told wrote: “Small, Staff is caring, a lot of individual attention. great therapists. It is a small individualized program that loved me until I was able to love myself.” Another alum added: “Counselors are great...they made me feel comfortable. They really cared about me. I wasn't just a number." The one alum who took exception criticized both counselors and other clients in the IOP program.

On secondary site Google, C4H received extremely positive coverage to date: 4.8 out of five stars based on 19 reviews. [1] Reviewers raved about the staff and their commitment to clients, which contributed to changing and saving lives.

Leonard, in a representative review, wrote: “This place is awesome ! There staff are professional and motivated in helping the struggling addict. The Center for Healing is the best place that I have attended treatment and the experience was life saving.”

WHAT FAMILY & FRIENDS SAY

The sole loved one polled by Rehabs.com to date, similar to a group of alumni reviewers, assigned the maximum five stars for family participation, counseling options, likelihood to recommend, and staff experience and training. “I was very happy with this treatment center. Center for Healing was great. It was clear that they truly wanted my son to stay clean,” the loved one wrote.

One C4H employee offered the same positive impressions. This counselor cited the small caseloads as a strength of the facility, which enabled them “to really get to know my clients.”

At the time of this writing, C4H does not share information online about its fees and payment options. However, to date, the five individuals polled on the matter all appreciated the facility's cost.

Affordability: 5/5

Published on October 2019

MT

For someone who has been to multiple treatment centers, I can honestly say Center for healing has been the best. I wasn't just another number here. The counselors are amazing and actually care about you. The owner is easily accessible and is heavily involved. I was supported every step of the way in my recovery.

Jason

I came here for IOP for 3 weeks. I have been to several other facilities around this area, this one is by far the worst in the area. I mean this with all my heart, I cannot even describe how terrible of service this place will provide. They take people into their program who have absolutely no intention of getting sober and do not care. Staff here and completely unable to gain control of the groups. Half the people will literally go in another room and sleep, while most of the other people are on their phones not paying attention at all. If staff truly cared to help they would force ppl to participate in groups and create a much more therapeutic setting. Do not waste your time coming here. Do not even get me started on the cost of this place. It is so astronomically higher than other places in the area. Absolutely horrendous treatment and they have no excuse. Please do not give this place any business. They are truly causing more harm than good and have no idea how to treat addiction. Hopefully they will be out of business soon.

PG

Counselor case loads are very small allowing me to really get to know my clients. There really are no weaknesses. For a small facility they are able to provide what other treatment centers provide but even better because clients don't get lost in the crowd. I have worked in treatment for years and for the first time I feel like I am actually making a difference.

bc

Small, Staff is caring, a lot of individual attention. great therapists. Owner is heavily involved none Center For Healing changed my life. It is a small individualized program that loved me until I was able to love myself.

al

They have an excellent family program. I was very happy with this treatment center. Center for Healing was great. It was clear that they truly wanted my son to stay clean.

SM

MM

I finally found a place where I felt like I mattered. And I was able to speak my counselor whenever I needed. Can't think of any weaknesses. All I know is that I finally feel like I matter.

JR

I have been to over 10 rehabs. Center for Healing met me where I was at and loved me until I could love myself again. I couldn't have gotten sober without them. They pushed me to be the best version of me and I am forever grateful.