Charleston Recovery Center in Charleston, SC

2235 Ashley River Rd
Charleston SC 29414

Charleston Recovery Center Philosophy

The Charleston Recovery Center is an alcohol and drug rehabilitation center with one primary purpose: to help men and women who suffer from alcoholism and drug addiction. CRC oversees an alcoholism and drug addiction treatment program , an alcoholism and addiction rehab, a half way house, and a sober living community for men and women in Charleston South Carolina.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Six Wooded Acres

Recreational Activities

Meditation

ABOUT CHARLESTON RECOVERY CENTER

Based in scenic Charleston, S.C., Charleston Recovery Center (CRC) provides a variety of treatment services for adult men and women struggling with substance use. The nonprofit organization specializes in residential treatment, but an intensive outpatient program (IOP) and sober living accommodations are also available.

While CRC strongly recommends their 90-day residential program, an abbreviated 30-day residential program is made available to clients when appropriate. Treatment is highly structured and based on the 12-step model of recovery. Clients divide their time between meditation, group workshops and counseling session, Big Book study, and recovery meetings.

Family members are encouraged to visit frequently and participate in their loved ones' treatment. CRC is one of only 19 residential treatment centers in South Carolina, and one of only nine facilities that offer short-term residential treatment.

Residential program graduates may access IOP, continuing care, and sober living support through CRC’s additional services.

The center employs individuals who have personal experience with addiction. The facility’s website notes that some employees have college degrees and professional experience, while others do not. Out of the dozens of individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date, a vast majority felt that the staff was well-trained and experienced.

Staff's Level of Experience and Training: 4.4/5

The center’s residential facility is located on six acres of wooded countryside located alongside Highway 61. Clients live in a homelike facility with a modern kitchen, comfortably furnished common areas, shared bedrooms, and an on-site pool. Clients are required to participate in the upkeep of the home and perform basic chores. Golf instruction is available to participants and their families through a special program with the PGA. The 11 individuals polled on the matter praised the facility's cleanliness and upkeep.

Facility's Cleanliness and Upkeep: 4.7/5

Out of the over dozen alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date, most praised the effectiveness of treatment, reporting that they would highly recommend the facility to others. The alumni also appreciated the level of family participation.

Likelihood to Recommend the Facility: 4.4/5
Family Participation: 4.2/5

Brian, a 90-day program graduate, reported that he stayed an extra five months because he enjoyed the center’s community. “I have been to 6 previous rehab in years past and this is the only one I would recommend for anyone who is struggling with addiction." Alum C.L. added: "I unexpectedly found grace and joy, and I am now equipped with the knowledge and tools to live life as a recovering alcoholic with much hope.”

While alumni praised most aspects of the facility, some felt the facility lacked recreational activities, and alumni offered a more moderate average rating for the facility's visitor policy.

Visitor Policy: 3.6/5

Reviews on secondary sites were equally positive. On Google reviews, four reviewers gave Charleston Recovery Center an average rating of 4.2 out of five stars.[1]

Out of nearly a dozen loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date, nearly all survey respondents also felt the facility was highly effective, clean and well-staffed. Loved ones also expressed gratitude for the attentiveness of staff members, the facility's counseling options, the level of family involvement, and reported that they would highly recommend the facility.

“My son and daughter in-law have both found hope and freedom from alcoholism through the Charleston Recovery Center. You can trust them with your family members care,” C.W.W. wrote in a representative review.

Likelihood to Recommend the Facility: 4.8/5
Counseling Options: 4.6/5
Family Participation: 4.4/5

However, echoing some alumni opinions, some loved ones felt the facility lacked holistic treatment options.

Holistic Offerings: 3.6/5

Despite mostly positive ratings for this aspect of treatment, a handful of loved ones expressed frustration with the center’s level of family involvement. “My loved one and I chose this place based on the false information that they provide family care. It is quite the opposite," B.S.C. wrote.

The sole employee polled by Rehabs.com to date also praised the facility, offering perfect five-star ratings for the facility's level of family participation and visitor policy, as well as a four-star rating for its counseling options.

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs; however, the individuals polled by Rehabs.com felt the facility was overall affordable.

Affordability: 4.1/5

[1] https://goo.gl/maps/N9nPpu84UcK2

Published on April 2018

TH

I found the solution to drugs and alcohol at Charleston Recovery Center. My life of misery and depression has become a life I wake up and look forward to living everyday. The addict on addict recovery is what made the difference for me. Everyone who works at the HOPE has lived the life of an addict and that convinced me that I was at the right spot.

Cindy

My sister is sober!! 😀

John

This Rehab is very unique and very effective. It helped me understand the root of many of my problems. The program uses the shared experience of many us to understand where we have been and how to overcome our addictions. This is a place that many of the alumni come back to and see the people we have met and strengthen our recovery. I would recommend CRC to anyone who who is honestly serious about recovering from addiction to drugs or alcohol.

Jennifer

CRC has not only set me free from the alcoholic torture I had been living in for over 10 years, the program and staff has restored my family, sense of self worth and taught me through the 12 Steps that I can enjoy a productive,fun,life better than I ever imagined sober.

AA

be certain to tour CRC before you sign a contract.

Jerry

Charleston Recovery Center (Ashley Hope) gave me my life back. Prior to deciding where to go, I tried to research and check out as many facilities as I could. I thankfully picked Ashley Hope after reading the reviews and seeing the impact it had made in so many peoples lives. Although I had been in and out of AA for many years, something just hadn't clicked. Upon my arrival to the "HOPE", I immediately was accepted and welcomed with open arms. I was still in denial and had in my mind I would commit to 30 days at the most. After the first week, there was so much good already starting to happen, there no way I was leaving before my 90 days was up. I didn't know exactly what was going on but I didn't want it to stop. I was told the first day to forget EVERYTHING I thought I knew about AA and start following simple directions. I did what was asked and the miracle started to happen. The way the program and information was presented was like nothing I had ever heard of or experienced before. By doing what I was told, working the 12 steps of AA, and relying on my Higher Power, I have without a doubt found a new life of happiness, serenity, and a new design for living. Thank yout o the entire staff for giving me my life back.

Katherine

Place saved my life taught me how to live without drugs and how to be a responsible and depenable person.

Anonymous Alcoholic

Bottom line, I am now sober and haven't even had an urge to drink since finishing the Charleston Recovery Center's program. I used to be an all day drinker...sneaking around & hiding my drinking at work and at home. CRC obviously taught me about A.A. and the 12 steps, but I also learned more about myself than I every imagined and how to better face life on a daily basis. I discovered true happiness and inner peace. The staff and fellowship, which I now call family and the best of friends, are absolutely remarkable.

WB

No one really ever goes to rehab on a win streak; I was no exception. Before coming into this program I was broken and completely hopeless. Thanks to the Charleston Recovery Center, I've been given hope; hope that there is a tomorrow;hope to be able work through my problems instead of dwelling on them to the point of drinking and using drugs. I never thought I would feel happiness again but I found it in the fellowship at the Charleston Recovery Center. and in the fun (yes, fun) in recovery. I never experienced serenity. Yet, through the honesty, open-mindedness and willingness I learned there, I can finally say that I'm on the road to peace. There's nothing more for which I could have asked.

You are amazing!

CW

Before coming to the Charleston Recovery Center I used opiates everyday, had no job, no car and no money. I resorted to stealing money to support my addiction. I lived in constant guilt and shame even attempting suicide to escape the life in which I was trapped. After completing the program I can honestly say I value my life. I have begun mending family relationships. I now have a full time job and look forward to what life has to offer. I couldn't have done it without the amazing fellowship I found at the Hope. The guys loved me until I learned to love myself. I have made many life-long friends. I wouldn't trade my experience at Charleston Recovery Center for anything. MY LIFE WAS SAVED.

RP

I struggled with addiction for years before coming to the Hope (CRC).I couldn't stop and I didn't understand why. The time I spent there changed my life. I learned the true nature of my problems but, more importantly, I was given a solution.

I tried to quit drugs and alcohol on my own for a number of years with no success. I went to several treatment centers and did everything asked of me but sobriety remained elusive. Suffering and misery became my constant companions. I came to believe I had reached the point of no return; that I was beyond help. Then I found the Charleston Recovery Center. Within 90 days I was not only sober, I learned how to live again. I made lifelong friends, rediscovered my passions and repaired personal relationships. When I got to the program I was a broken shell of a person. When I left I was whole again.

RA

Many of the people who have come through the Charleston Recovery Center consider it to be sacred ground. This is where actual recovery happens. This isn't a three month vacation from drugs and alcohol. That doesn't do us addicts any good. The program taught me that my problem isn't the substances I abuse. The problem is within myself. I was taught to reflect on my life carefully. At the same time, I also learned how to enjoy a sober life. The fellowship I found here is the greatest aspect of this program. I didn't spend five minutes here without laughter These are my people, this is my home and it always will be.

Justin

Charlston recovery is a very special place. It has giving me the peace and happiness I’ve been looking for all my life. All it took for me was a true desire to stop using drugs and alcohol. The atmosphere of fellowship and family is truly amazing. I strongly recommend Charleston recovery to anyone battling addiction

I owe my life to this place. I've been too multiple treatment centers that were astonishing more expensive than this place and got no where near the help and life tool's that I acquired here at Charleston Recovery Center, it is also the only treatment center where the staff and directors are so easily available and ready to help anytime day or night no one staff member every preaches from a spiritual mountain top, and I can guarantee you that I would not be alive today without the help of Charleston Recovery Center and there Director will do absolutely anything to help anyone and everyone. If you are lucky enough to find your way to the Hope then you hit the Jackpot my friend !!!!!!

Charles

I attended CRC’s 90 day program for alcohol addiction, and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Going in, I thought a 90-Day program was excessive and not necessary. I couldn’t have been more wrong. In 3 months I learned more about myself than I thought possible, along with and the coping skills required to live a happy, healthy, and full life sober. Both the staff and residents were extremely well invested in my recovery and helped me get comfortable from the onset, and as time passed I was challenged to mature as a person and help other residents, which was a vital step in both my recovery and in reintegrating back into society. I’m indebted to the opportunity CRC gave me and would recommend it to anyone struggling with alcohol or drug addiction.

MJ

As an alcoholic, I constantly tried to stay sober on my own and resisted working the twelve steps. This always lead to a relapse. At Ashley Hope you immediately start working the steps when you enter treatment. I’ve spoken to many alcoholics who are x months sober and still on steps 1-3, procrastination was my worst enemy and could be theirs too. Hands down the best treatment center I’ve ever been to in terms of learning the Big Book and working the steps, the two most important aspects of staying sober.

Brian

I attended CRC for 81 days. Yes, I left 9 days before completing the program. The following is my experience. I’ll try to be brief and informative at the same time. Treatment Effectiveness: Well, like anywhere, you’ve got to want it. AA is the name of the game at CRC. The director(s) and staff all wholeheartedly believe in it. That’s actually a good thing. All of the staff members are recovering addicts/alcoholics, which adds a certain validity to everything they say. They’ve all “been there, done that,” so to speak. With that said, AA itself is somewhat of a controversial program, in that there’s no scientific evidence that it actually works, although there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who swear by it. The bottom line is ... if you really REALLY want to get sober, AA will help guide you there, and CRC will help guide you toward a Ph.D. in AA. Accommodations: Here’s where it gets a little rough. If you’ve looked into the pricing already and asked yourself “how is it so cheap?,” well, it’s because of the facility. The main house (where all the “magic” happens) is pretty run down. I mean, it’s not like being a POW or anything, but there is certainly much to be desired. For some, it’s fine. For others, it’s scary. I suppose it depends on your background and what you’re used to. Meals: So ... most of the food is donated by local grocery stores, food banks, etc. Cool. No problem with that. Everyone in recovery has chores to do. As for meals, they designate one or two people to cook breakfast and dinner every day. Breakfast is easy. Eggs and sausage. Dinner, however, is a different story, so they designate one resident woman and one resident man to cook on alternating nights. I’ve got to say, the dinners were usually pretty great. The people they designate to cook seem to care about the “product” they’re serving, and their creativity (because of limited, donated stuff) always shines through. The pantry is ALWAYS full of food, and residents can eat whatever they want, but it isn’t always the healthiest. Mostly snack food, but hey, you’re there to get sober, not to be on a strict diet, amiright? Synopsis: Wanna get sober? Really, REALLY wanna get sober? You can do it here. It’s gonna suck, but you can do it. You won’t always have chef-prepared meals, you will have to follow some really dumb rules, you won’t always get a hot shower, and you probably won’t get sober ... unless YOU want it.

Dana

My son is so happy and thriving in this environment. Not only do I have him back but a much more aware, version. I am so happy and feel grateful and blessed to them for taking him in. Xp

EBK

My daughter was here for 4 months in 2016. She liked it and seemed to be successful. Yet, one week after leaving, she relapsed and almost died. The food is donated and the house is pretty run down. My biggest complaint was the director. He has another rehab place in Florida and he would take groups down there frequently. But he would take them to a casino for hours, which is not a good environment for an addict. As a child of a gambling addict, it wasn’t a healthy activity for alcoholics and/or drug addicts. This place needs a major overhaul. Website is very misleading, too. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone.

Finding fault in others seems to be a family tradition. She fails to mention the many broadway shows, theme parks, sky dives, and other (Lion Country Safari) group activities the residents enjoyed in Charleston and Florida. She references the Seminole Hard Rock Casino where we saw several concerts, ex. Paul Anka , Mama Mia, Phantom of the Opera, and enjoyed New Year’s Eve. We never allowed the residents to risk any money, but to enjoy sober fun and the delicious meals. Recovered is what the book says and it allows us to go anywhere a free man or woman can go. Addiction is cunning and our hope is that her daughter will accept the Solution and give it away to others who need it so badly.

Leo

My friend attended CRC and came back a changed person. I highly recommend it!

CLW

I'm almost 2 years sober today because of this place. I was taken in just as I was, loved, and taught how to live life and to pass it on to others. Highly recommended to anyone.

Anna

I researched several regional facilities to combat my alcohol addiction and chose Charleston Recovery Center. The explanation was thorough in regards to their program of recovery, pricing, and residential guidelines. I was given a tour of the main house & loved the homey, cozy feel of both the house and residents. Everyone was so welcoming and accepting! The house is clean & kept up with. While the program circles around the traditional "12 Steps", it's very accommodating to all walks of life which made me feel accepted being a Buddhist. Its affordability is only a small bonus compared to the peace & sobriety I've achieved through coming here.

Makyla

My name is Makyla and I'm an alcoholic and an addict. I am 26 years old and I have been in and out of detox and treatment centers since I was 19 years old. Charleston Recovery Center has saved my life. Words truly can't describe how much this place has done for me. I appreciate the addict on addict recovery. I have found a solution here that I have been looking for. This place gave me my life back and I'm truly happy today.

Shanna

I have been using drugs since I was a teenager. I attempted to quit on my own and went to multiple treatment centers. Nothing seemed to work. I was hopeless and ready to give up. My friends told me about Charleston Recovery Center, so I figured what do I have to lose. Coming here is the best thing that happened to me. I now have happiness and a sense of purpose in my life. I strongly recommend this place for anyone struggling with addiction.

LS

Affordable and effective!

Robin

The CRC saves lives. I'm so grateful for their service and would highly recommend them to anyone.

B

Master of taking advantage of the disadvantaged. Some things never change.

Have no idea who said this but most of our waking moments and sleepless nights are consumed with constant concern for our resident’s recoveries. There is always room for improvement but this post is false

Linda

I am a 67-year-old woman. This program is working for me. I have been sober for three years. I am grateful that through the 12 steps I understand this disease and am able to help others, and that my outlook on life is much improved. I highly recommend the Charleston Recovery Center.

Thomas

August 2017 I arrived here broken and desperate for help. What I found here is truly unbelievable and I am on able to put it into words. What it is is a power much bigger than all of us but what it has done is found me. If you are seeking a better way of life like I was it is available here. Everyone here Has been to the depths of hell in addiction as myself and are able to help me in ways no one else could. God bless this place and everyone involved and anyone who passed I may have crossed for it is truly a miracle today that I’m not where I once was

Farah

When i first arrived here I was desperate. I had no idea how i ended up in charleston recovery center. I was lost, confused and scared. The staff, directors and residents welcomed we with open arms. They loved me when I couldn’t love myself. I have learned how to live and love again. THis place gave me the chance to start over again and to find myself. The magic of this place is indescribable. I never thought I would learn, laugh and love so much within a recovery center. I’m so grateful for the fellowship here and the knowledge i have gained. I found myself and i found a family here too. this place gave me hope and a purpose again.

Braylan

This is by far the realist rehab i’ve been to and I’ve been to a 30k a month rehab and there is absolutely no comparison between the two. I’ve been given the tools to not only stay sober but make the most out of life.

Paige

I've gone through other rehabs and treatment programs but this place and saved my life and shown me how to enjoy this new way of life. The things I've learned and the way this program is done here has shown me who I was, who I can be and how to be the person I want to be.

April

I was skeptical before coming into this program because I expected a place that was run by people who didn’t understand addiction! I quickly found out that I was very wrong! The program is run and owned by addicts who have been through many ups and downs like myself! We all help one another in many different ways and share each other’s experiences! I never thought the day would come that I could deal with my personal stresses of life without getting drunk but that day has come!!!

Ryan

Not only did this place save my life, it taught me how to live. I was addicted to everything imaginable the day I checked in. Now, I'm sober, happy, and am no longer being suffocated by powerlessness, I have found my deepest, strongest self. Thanks!

Jenn

This place saved my life! I had been using drugs for 18 years, I was broken and hopeless. This place has given me hope, and brought joy to my life!

Trisha

This place truly saved my life!! I have been to several treatments centers thruout my life and there is no place like this. Charleston recovery center truly taught me how to live life and I have never been happier. If you are anyone you know needs help please come here!!

Hope

Beware !!! Very unorganized Men n and woman are all together. The house is dirty and the traits everyone and uses the F-bomb all the time! It's a train wreck!@

A

The most amazing place... miracles happen here

Ronnie

I have been honored to witness so many amazing men and women recover and help others recover here. Families reunited, legal problems solved, lives restructured are everyday occurrences. Countless residents agree that this life saving program was the answer to their prayers.

Alison

Words can’t describe the respect and gratitude I have for the wonderful staff at The Hope. I couldn’t be more impressed with the deep level of care and understanding that was given to me and countless others. The program itself has been a blessing to me and to be able to learn that from other alcoholics and addicts was the key. I finally found others that were just like me. Many thanks to Ronnie Byers and the staff, they are the reason I am alive today!!

BD

The CRC is like a second family... This place has helped dozens like me to recover and I can't recommend it enough!

AA

The staff is very helpful. The food is fantastic and home cooked daily. They have given me another shot at life that I never thought I would have again. I owe my life to this place and would highly recommend anyone to it.

Melissa

The staff treats you like inmates in prison. They are rude and even yell at patients. The food is horrible. The facility is dilapidated.

I don't know anyone named Melissa that has been a resident recently but the review is completely false. There is always room for improvement but the staff is noted for professionalism and tolerance. They work long hours and care deeply for each and every resident. As for the food , we are wonderfully blessed, except that most everyone gains too much weight while recovering.

Terry

When I arrived at the center I was at the end of my rope. My addiction to opiates at 52 years of age was my master. I had lost faith in myself and everyone else.I have read some of the bad reviews and would like to just say this.Through my 90 day stay I learned to live again. I learned to love again.Most of all I found that the only way to stay sober and to live a life filled with true joy was to do Gods will in my life instead of my own.I am sober almost two years and have nothing but love and gratitude for the staff .If you want to get sober instead of go on vacation their door is open. Love you all !!!!!

AT

Beautiful outdoor space, a sand volleyball court, a variety of meal types, multiple meetings throughout the day to help us connect to our higher power. The other residents & staff become like family before you know it. There's nothing like it!

CWW

My son and daughter in-law have both found hope and freedom from alcoholism through the Charleston Recovery Center. You can trust them with your family members care.

WR

This is probably the best AA/12 Step treatment program in Charleston. AA can be confusing at first so their intensive direction provides a great start to recovery. I am very grateful for the CRC.

Ali

It's clear that the staff cares about the residents & giving them the tools needed to start over. Very affordable compared to most rehab facilities. If you're willing to start recovery it will work for you!

MAL

My friend took his wife here when she was struggling with alcohol. He didn't know what to expect but after the 90 day program she came back a new person. I can tell a difference in both of them since they have been learning the principles of AA. I think this is a great option and from what he said it's pretty affordable too.

Lindz

A dear friend of mine recently went here. She was totally hopeless and very sick. They nursed her back to life and now she's helping others. I highly recommend the Charleston Recovery Center!

HLR

The Hope is such a special place... so many people have started their journey of recovery here. I can't say enough good things about their dedication to teaching the program and the residents!

BC

My best friend just finished this program and she is happier and healthier than I've seen her in years!

Jodie

Only myself and God knows the hopelessness, futility and uselessness I felt inside myself before coming into Charleston Recovery Center. I thought death was the only option from where my drug addiction had taken me. Only by the grace of God did I get to CRC and was given the real solution to not only my drug addiction but the solution to the problems inside myself that tomorrow July 13th, 2016 I will be 5 months sober for the first time since I was 13 years old. Charleston Recovery Center and the people here have loved me until I could love myself and then pay it forward to the next just as hopeless addict or alcoholic who comes into our home. This is not only a recovery center with alcoholics and addicts but these people have become my family and this house is now my home.

Lila

U had bedbugs when I was there, expired food from the food bank, and no direction for "real life."

Brian

I went to Charleston Recovery Center for the full 90 day program and by the end of my stay I decided to stay 5 more months because I enjoyed the community so much. I visit almost everyday. I have been to 6 previous rehab in years past and this is the only one I would recommend for anyone who is struggling with addiction.

Summer

This place saved my life. I have 10 months sober thanks to Charleston recovery center. They brought me through the 12 steps and taught me how to live life to the fullest. They gave me a purpose in life. I will forever be grateful for the people I met here and the owner

LA

It's a joke. You are paying $6000 to go to 6-8 AA meetings a day. They don't prepare you for when you get out. And when you do, if you don't continue to drink their kool-aid, they will pretend as though you never existed. Find somewhere else. The director is too self involved.

Tom

Strong Recovery, Comfortable Family Setting, Knowledgeable Staff, Hands on Recovery, Genuine Care and Loving Staff Hello Everybody, I could not have gotten to where I am without Charleston Recovery Center. I arrived there broken - physically, mentally and spiritually. I was told by the director that I could not get sober on my own power and that I had to follow directions. I was also told that I could not talk about all the bad things people had done to me, but I could talk about the bad things I had done to other people. Needless to say that shut me up so I could receive direction. I went through the twelve steps of this program as quickly but as thoroughly as possible. Near the end of my three months of continuous recovery two things happened, I became aware that the obsession to drink or use drugs had been removed and if I continued to follow directions I will never have to use again. To say CRC saved my life would be an understatement. It also gave me a reason to live and that I am eternally grateful. If you or someone you love suffers from the illness of addiction I recommend CRC to change your life. I wouldn't be alive today without this program.

What a joy you've been. Keep it -so proud!

Jessica

Knowledgeable staff. Strong recovery. Community spirit. On January 5th, 2016, I arrived at Charleston Recovery Center a broken and hopeless shell of a person. I had been struggling with addiction for over 15 years. For the past 6 years I had been on and off the streets; in and out of hospitals, jails, and rehabs. I was absolutely miserable with my life, but saw no way out. 2 weeks before coming to CRC I was arrested again and upon my release from jail, my parents contacted me to see if I would like to try treatment again. I was out of options and praying for death on a daily basis so, I said yes. It was by far the best decision I have ever made. In the beginning I was skeptical because I didn't think that the 12 steps of AA would work for me, but I was willing to try. The disease of alcoholism was finally explained to me in a way that made sense. The women and men became my family and CRC my home. I understood why I hadn't been able to stay sober in the past and I was surrounded by people who were just like me. I was no longer alone and these people had a solution. As I sit writing this I have almost 6 months clean and sober. That's a miracle for someone who couldn't go 5 hours without drugs or a drink before. I completed the program almost 2 months ago and chose to stay on in order to give back. I have become useful again and finally feel as though I have a purpose in life, to help others. I have seen countless lives saved and families restored since I've been here. The things that I have learned at CRC have changed my life. I have learned how to live sober. I have learned how to have fun in sobriety. I have learned how to be a daughter that my parents deserve, a friend that can be trusted, and a productive member of society. But the greatest thing I've learned is that there is a solution to my problem and I have been given the ability to share that solution with the next broken soul that God places in my life.

Thanks. Keep up the good work - our recovery is grounded in our concern for others. Watching you help others is sunshine to our soul. Jess, you make it all worthwhile.

Trey

Lays down a strong foundation for AA based recovery, gives intensive aid to newcomer addicts and alcoholics in the crucial stages of recovery. Coming to Charleston Recovery Center was one of the best decisions if not the best decision I've ever made. This place without question saved my life. I was blown away by the once in a lifetime experiences that were offered through this program. I'm eternally grateful for this place. As a once hopeless addict I strongly suggest Charleston Recovery Center to any alcoholic or addict suffering from this disease.

Tom

Hello everybody I’m a recovered alcoholic/addict who just celebrated four years of being clean, sober and happy after 21 years of alcohol/drug abuse. I could not have gotten to where I am without Charleston Recovery Center. I arrived there broken- physically mentally and spiritually. I was told by the director that I could not get sober on my own power and that I had to follow directions. I was also told that I could not talk about all the bad things people had done to me, but I could talk about the bad things I had done to other people. Needless to say that shut me up so I could receive direction. I went through the 12 Steps of this program as quickly but as thoroughly as possible. Near the end of my 3 months of continuous recovery, two things happened. I became aware that the obsession to drink or use drugs had been taken away from me and if I continue to follow directions I will never have to use again. To say CRC saved my life would be an understatement, it also gave me a reason to live and for that I am eternally grateful. If you or someone you love suffers from the illness of addiction I recommend CRC to change your life. I wouldn’t be alive today without this place.

TSC

My relative went through this program and it changed her life. She is no longer the scared, depressed person I once knew and is now happy and excited about life again! Thank you!

Bill

I entered the Charleston Recovery Center 90 day program a broken alcoholic and for all the wrong reasons. I came to escape legal and marital issues and hopefully stay sober for a period of time. However the program stressed a spiritual approach to solving our problems and helping others. The atmosphere is most like family and I learned that my alcoholism was but the symptom of numerous underlying issues. Through intensive step work and helping others, this program has been the most helpful and enduring ever I've encountered. The holistic approach shows residents a solution to ALL their problems. I am truly grateful to the director and the entire staff and I am proud to extend my most enthusiastic recommendation!

JSR

My friend was sick and desperate when her family took her here. Now she is vibrant and full of life again! I was able to visit when they had a big tent and concert for Memorial Day and it was lots of fun! I can tell they really care about their patients and I recommend it to others

CM

My sister in law attended the program in Charleston and it has changed her life. We are all so pleased with the results. The facilities aren't luxurious, but the staff is great and the price is much more affordable than other similar places.

PAIGE

They did a great job working with a family member get them healthy again. Thank you!

CW

A close family member of mine went to the Charleston Recovery Center and it has helped her tremendously. I can't tell you how happy I am about that. When I was a volunteer in a Christian Ministry in my 20's I worked with some alcoholics who were seeking recovery. I learned first hand how difficult it is for them to recover and how difficult it is to help them. They need a new environment, with people who understand what they're dealing with, and can help them find their way. It takes a commitment on the part of the person who is recovering, and a support group who will encourage them, teach them new life skills, listen to them, challenge them and care about them. That's what my family member found at the Charleston Recovery Center. The staff are caring and really want to help each participant. People are at different stages in their lives, ranging from denial to total commitment to doing what it takes to lead a healthy, happy life. I think the commitment to stay for the whole 90 day program and to apply yourself to the program completely is a very important factor in recovery. The facilities aren't luxurious, but that's one of the reasons this center is more affordable than most. I think the outdoor setting and the community spirit are very pleasant.

Sjw

I'm very thankful for all the help my daughter-law received from your program. I was very impressed when I attended one of the meetings and especially seeing the rapport the director had with those attending. I think it's vital and wonderful that he's able to take the things he's been through and recovered from and is now helping others find their freedom. Those who give it their all will be free and able to help others find their freedom too. I highly recommend this program.

CL

I cannot say enough positive things about my time spent at the Charleston Recovery Center. I was a hopeless alcoholic. I was embraced by the entire staff and community. I unexpectedly found grace and joy, and I am now equipped with the knowledge and tools to live life as a recovering alcoholic with much hope. I would recommend this program to anyone who suffers from alcoholism and/or addiction.

We appreciate your testimonial. Keep up the good work

BTR

This center has been a blessing to my friends and their marriage. When the time came for recovery the people at this home were the family they never knew they had. My wife and I visited the house during a concert put on for the guests while our friend was in recovery. The atmosphere was so family oriented and those in the program seemed as if they had found rest and focus. I had never been to a rehab facility before but this was not what I expected, it reminded me of summer camp but with a community working towards an eternal goal. I cannot thank this place enough, I know my friends are so blessed by this place. I hope they continue their work for decades to come, the world needs more facilities like this one.

Austin

This place is amazing. It for addicts and alcoholics run by alcoholics and addicts. This program and house work. The staff here have been through the program as residents and are staying longer to help out. This place saved my life and decided to stay on and help out because it's my job in this program to give away what I so freely got given to me. This staff here is great the food here is great, it's cooked by the residents who want to help out. This program here is done exactly the way bill intended it to be back in the 30's and that's why it works so well. I love every single person here and have made some of the best friends I have ever had in my whole life. This place is very professional and everyone here is so awesome. If you are thinking about going into treatment I would highly recommend coming by and checking this place out it saved my life and if could save your life too.

Deb

If you are ready to do the work, Charleston Recovery Center cares and can help you. They helped a family member in ways we could have only hoped for! Don't hesitate to call them.

thanks for your kindness

MD

My wife needed help and we needed it fast. I am grateful to the staff and the director for all they have done for me and my family to get us back on track to become the family we once were . I cannot say enough about the love and support of the Director and will be grateful for the rest our lives. Thanks and god bless all you guys at the Charleston Recovery Center. Keep up the great work being done at their.

SHB

My daughter was an alcoholic . A scared alcoholic. She was admitted and immediantly surrounded by love and support. Thanks to Charleston Recovery she is sober and free of her addiction. She worked hard on the 12 step program with a lot of support. There are no short cuts. I highly recommend Charleston Recovery to help your loved one become sober and be given the tools of sobriety .

Walt

To all those brothers and sisters that are still suffering: This place changed my life! I was in the grips of a drug and Heroine addiction for 25 years and could not imagine living any kind of life without drugs. I had managed to destroy all facets of my life, wife, kids, home, work, money, friends, other family members, the list goes on and on. If there was any part of my life that had any merit, I brought it crashing down around myself with disregard for anyone or anything around me. As of 6/26/15 I've been living a new life of happiness, joyousness, freedom, and serenity. The desire/obsession to use ANYTHING has been completely removed, no really, it's as if it never existed! I have ceased fighting everything and have found true happiness that I chased for a quarter of a century by chemical means to no avail. This place WORKS! It really does! TRY IT!!! It will be the first good and best decision that you've ever made in your life!!!'n

Thanks Walt You and your wife have been an inspiration to so many.

JR

This program saved my friend's life. I owe them more than I could every repay.

MEG

While I was there just about everyone got sick, sure think it was all the mold and dust. Staff was very attentive the first couple of days,after that I was just another addict basically left to fend for myself. Attended meetings throughout the day....lots of time sitting around or watching tv. Not a very organized staff. Turnover was high people coming and going all the time. I did get the feeling it's all about the money. Would not recommend this place to anyone. Please do your research . Very contrived environment benefiting the people /person in charge financially.

CC

When I was looking for a solution for my wife's alcoholism I was skeptical of the Charleston Recovery Center because of some reviews on this site and my initial impression of the house. After speaking with one of their directors at length my worries began to lift. I could tell that she had a very similar experience to ours and was now 4yrs sober - and happy. 90 days later I couldn't be happier with the decision to take my wife here. Not only is she sober, she is soo much healthier in mind, body and spirit. She's like a different person! Regarding the facilities - this is not a clinical setting. They have multiple homes where the residents live and study the AA "Big Book". There are not doctors that monitor patients around the clock. This was concerning to me at first, but I now realize that their staff has seen everything under the sun and is more than capable of helping new residents through their detox and into recovery, because they have all been there before too. Under their guidance, my wife did visit the doctor on a couple of occasions to verify her health, receive medicine...etc. and she always came back with a positive review. Also, Roper Hospital is only minutes away in the event of an emergency. Now that I am more familiar with the treatment program of Alcoholics Anonymous I understand that helping others get sober is one of the primary ways that the alcoholic will stay sober and this facility is that principle in action. While they do not offer "luxury" facilities, by any means, they are safe and adequate and the primary focus is truly on recovery for everyone that attends. If finding a luxury facility is a main priority you may be better suited elsewhere. The facilities are typical homes and the residents are tasked with chores to clean and maintain the ares where they live, work and play. It is not perfect, but it is adequate. From what I can tell, if the attendee is willing and ready to get sober this place will work for them. For me that is the most important part. They have a sand volleyball court at the main house, & location in Florida with a pool where they take residents as a treat to "get away", they reward those who work hard by taking them to broadway shows, movies, the beach, to dinner...etc. all in an effort to re-integrate them back into society and learn how to have fun while being sober. It's not all fun and games by any means, but judging by my wife's stories and some pictures on their Facebook page it seems like they are trying to make the best of a difficult situation. It definitely changed my preconceptions of what "rehab" is like. While this place is not for everyone, looking back I am very pleased with my decision to send my wife here and I think it is a great, affordable option for anyone else who is truly ready to get sober. She is also happier than she ever thought she could be and recommends it as well!

Chels

Before coming into Charleston Recovery Center I was hopeless, broken, beaten, homeless, and felt worthless. I never thought I'd be able to stay sober for 15 minutes let alone 8 months. I was convinced I was going to die a heroin addict and I became okay with that. I thought there was no hope for me. After being in and out of 6 other treatment centers I found this one and I'm beyond grateful I did. I came into this place 30 pounds underweight, desperate, and in bad shape. I was tired of hurting everyone around me and was tired of living the life I was living. Slowly but surely I started getting healthy again and started learning about this program and I started feeling like maybe there was hope for me. I saw the program working in others lives and that was enough for me to make my beginning. This program has worked for me in every aspect possible...the staff is amazing, caring, and loving. I instantly felt accepted by everyone once I walked in Charleston Recovery's door. I have my life back. Since I've gotten sober I've had experiences that I never thought was possible..I've traveled, I've loved, I've laughed, and most of all I've felt happiness. Residents and staff understand me and I understand them and going through my whole life feeling like no one could ever understand me..that was a big deal. Through this program I've gotten my family back, I have life long friends, I have a sense of belonging. Wonderful things have come about that I could of never dream of.

Easy transition and good support. Good family involvement. More recreational options. Easier follow up procedures. Very good staff. Helped make transition process smooth. Effective treatment. Good follow through.

RFT

The old rooms are nasty and not taken care of.

Jennifer

My name is Jennifer. In 2014 I was a hopeless, dying alcoholic. It was not by lack of trying, family support, love, money, lack of will power, fortitude or morals. Prior to 2014 I had everything in life I had set out to accomplish. I attended a Division1 college on a full athletic scholarship. I was honored for sportsmanship, MVP, Captain of a winning varsity program. I was one of the first female athletes to be a contributing member of a sorority and top 6 in the University Homecoming Pageant. Upon graduation, I moved to NYC where I lived and worked for 20 years.... I had much success both socially and financially. I had an award winning career in Real Estate, married a wonderful man and on paper was the epitome of success and happiness, That was not my reality...... I was suffering from alcoholic torture which I endured for 20 years. In 2014 after losing what I thought was everything and after a stint in a "famous $35,000.00" a month rehab where I learned to stay out of bars and not drink just for today, I went on an death spiral of selfish drinking, un- employability and path of destruction effecting everyone whose life I touched. But for the grace of God, my family found the Charleston Recovery Center and the 12 Step program at the Ashley Hope House. When I first arrived at Ashley Hope/CRC I was willing to do anything, except a spiritual program. But a spiritual based, literal 12 Step Program is what I needed and what I got.... I had admitted over and over I was powerless over alcohol and resigned to the fact that I would never be able to drink again, but how... I had lived that way for 20 years and in my mind had only recently lost the power of choice in drink...I still believed that living without alcohol was not as bad as death, there was no point in living... I had lost everything already. But the staff and the residents of CRC all just like me, hopeless alcoholics and addicts showed me I had a 3 part illness- they showed me specifically, through a literal interpretation of the Big Book how to work a 12 Step Program, how to teach a 12 step program and how to LIVE without alcohol or drugs. In the year and a half I have been affiliated with CRC I have experienced not only more that 12 months of sobriety for the first time in 25 years but I live each day happier, with the knowledge and tools to share my strength and hope with other alcoholics and addicts..... This is a life infinitely more useful and gratifying than any I have known in my prior existence. I have my family back, have made amends to those I hurt during my active addiction and today I know a new freedom, peace and sense of well being with the knowledge that as long as I keep enlarging my spiritual life and helping others I am recovered. If you suffer from alcoholic torture or drug addiction like I did, or if you have a loved one who is dying needlessly like I was, please know there is a solution,, It is Charleston Recovery Center. I write this today to express my gratitude and to pay forward my debt to the people who so generously shared the solution with me.

AF

If you are thinking about the methadone program here.run far and fast.

JR

very involved staff but food and activities need improvement. I learned a lot during my stay.

Good location but no help.. They were silent and asked useless questions.

they helped my friend out a lot She felt very welcome and comfortable there

This facility was well put together and offered many different types of treatment. This facility met the needs of my family and the counselors really genuinely helped and cared.

Wife in treatment for 3 weeks and has been good 5 yrs. Great follow up counseling.

the doctors and the treatment you receive are strengths of the facility, but it is a little old looking. the perfect place for a loved one that has a drug or alcohol problem.

CRC Alumni

Do not send your loved ones or yourself here! Speaking as an alumni, the information advertised on the website is false and misleading. This place is a joke. The house is very poorly maintained. There is mold in the air vents, cockroaches in the bedrooms and outside of the house, bed bugs infestations have occurred several times in the past 2 years. People get kicked out and replaced on almost a daily basis. The money is not being spent on food for the residents, maintaining the house, buying things to accommodate the residents (blankets, towels, hygiene supplies, medicine, etc.). Accommodations are either donated or self purchased. Where is the money going???

We strongly discourage any mind altering drugs- we don't believe in methadone or other "clinical or synthetic solutions" . We are Spiritually based. I have not seen one cockroach inside or outside in years and our pest control company has done a magnificent job in maintaining a pest free environment. This has been well documented by government agency inspections. No one is perfect, of course, and we will address any problem that might arise in the future as best we can. As much as we disagree with some of the negative reviews we understand that our opinion is subjective. But this one is false. .

G

I totally agree with BSG. Everything she said is true. Please don't sent your family members there. It is all about the money.

BSC

I agree 100% with Kristina. My loved one and I chose this place based on the false information that they provide family care. It is quite the opposite. Their approach at times is more like indoctrination. They surround themselves with people who are overly loyal and potentially brainwashed to some degree. The facility is overcrowded and not well cared for. The director is very unsettling. The cost is 2 thousand dollars, and it is not the right choice for a family since these conditions are risky. There was almost daily turnover of people leaving and being replaced. It gave you he feeling that it may just be about the money. Different things work for different people but I wouldn't make that decision agin to go there. The potential for things to get worse due to poor choice of conduct is too great.

Kristina

This place doesn't care about the families behind the addicts, just the addict.

Julie

Excellent program. Excellent interaction.