Clayton Behavioral in St. Louis, MO

9890 Clayton Road
St. Louis MO 63124

Clayton Behavioral Philosophy

Clayton Behavioral provides a comprehensive array of outpatient treatment services for chemically-dependent individuals struggling with addiction, enabling clients to experience meaningful personal growth and develop effective strategies for lifelong recovery. Medical detoxification is available on a primarily outpatient basis, allowing those suffering from withdrawal symptoms to continue to live at home while receiving evidence-based medication assisted treatment. Individual and group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) sessions, psychoeducational classes, vocational and educational counseling, family therapy and drug screening are offered on an outpatient basis as well.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
    The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.

• Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

Support Groups

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Centrally Located

Luis Giuffra

MD, PhD, Medical Director

Dr. Giuffra has been practicing as a psychiatrist and a mental health educator in St. Louis since 1998. He specializes in addiction treatment and in psychopharmacology, and has a special interest in depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and anxiety disorders. He currently serves as Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. Dr. Giuffra is the co-founder and medical director of Clayton Behavioral, a multidisciplinary outpatient psychiatric clinic that specializes in mental health and addiction treatment in St. Louis. He has received several awards, including fellowships from the McArthur Foundation (for research in Major Depression) and the UK Mental Health Foundation (for research in Alzheimer’s Disease). In 2011, he received the Mortimer Goodman award from the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

ABOUT CLAYTON BEHAVIORAL

Located off Interstate 64 just west of central Saint Louis, Mo., Clayton Behavioral offers outpatient substance abuse treatment for adults and mental health treatment for both adolescents and adults. Outpatient detox is available, and Clayton Behavioral is one of the 64 facilities in Missouri that offers a Suboxone program.

All clients undergo a comprehensive assessment upon intake to determine the appropriate course of care. Medications are provided by the in-house pharmacy as needed — though psychiatric services are priced as a supplement.

Clayton Behavioral recommends that clients progress through a tapering six-month program that starts with a six-week intensive outpatient program (IOP), followed by an eight-week standard outpatient care, followed by 12 weeks of continuing care.

At all stages of treatment, clients attend individual therapy once a week, group therapy up to six times and week, and family therapy as needed. Toward the beginning of treatment, therapy is supplemented by psychoeducational classes. Those clients who successfully complete the six-month program are eligible to progress to a weekly aftercare group.

The program uses the 12-steps alongside evidence-based methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and mindfulness, plus vocational and educational counseling to help clients to reintegrate into society in a productive way. All clients will also be required to comply with regular drug and alcohol testing.

There's also a dedicated program for distressed physicians and executives, which uses coaching, counseling, and more comprehensive methods when necessary.

According to the facility’s website, the treatment team includes child and adult psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, licensed clinical social workers (LCSW), and licensed professional counselors (LPC), some of them educated to PhD level.

Rehabs.com survey respondents gave polarized feedback, one very positive and one very negative. "Thanks to this facility I have been clean and sober of opiate addiction for just over 4 years and no other facility could come near this," wrote positive reviewer F.R.M., in particular praising their very caring doctor. However, Z.B. — who never attended treatment at the center — complained about a communication problem with the admin team.

On secondary sites, the feedback on Clayton Behavioral is mixed, skewing positive, with average ratings of 3.7 stars based on 20 reviews on Google and 4.5 stars based on 29 reviews on Facebook, where the facility can manage its own page, plus a single one-star rating on YellowPages.com.[1] [2] [3] Almost every one of the negative reviews echoed Rehabs.com reviewer Z.B. by complaining about admin and communication problems. "I have been calling the office for 1 week, leaving messages and trying to get an appointment. Finally the receptionist called me back 8 days later," one reviewer wrote in a typical comment on YellowPages.com.

But the positive reviewers repeatedly praised the center's doctors. "I have been treated by the great doctors here for many years. They are caring and have provided me and my family wonderful and professional treatment," Steve wrote in a typical comment on Google.

Staff had mostly positive feedback about Clayton Behavioral: the center has three-star, a four-star, and two five-star ratings, spread between Indeed and Glassdoor.[4] [5] Though one reviewer complained of organizational communication problems, most stressed that Clayton Behavioral offers valuable, effective evidence-based care. "If I had a loved one who suffered with a substance dependence problem this would be where I would take them," one former employee wrote. "Best practice, data driven, and evidence based modalities makes CB program a leader in this field," added another anonymous reviewer on Glassdoor.

For six months of treatment, Clayton Behavioral charges $8,800, with $3,700 due at enrollment and the rest split into payments of $2,550 required on weeks six and 14. The center will forward invoices to clients' insurance companies, though it does not have in-network relationships with any insurers.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/ClaytonBehavioral/reviews/?ref=page_internal
[3] https://www.yellowpages.com/st-louis-mo/mip/clayton-behavioral-outpatient-substance-abuse-treatment-467208035?lid=467208035
[4] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Clayton-Behavioral/reviews
[5] https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Clayton-Behavioral-Reviews-E1401073.htm

Published on August 2018

FRM

This facility has been a lifesaver for me. DR. is the most professional friendly doctor I've met in my entire life, there's been times on visits or he's actually sit and smoke one with me for 30 to 45 minutes without making me feel like I was rushed he actually cares about the patient and not the money for everything else that comes along with me and Dr. Anybody that says differently about this facility obviously as other motives and are putting reviews out there that are entirely untrue thanks to this facility I have been clean and sober of opiate addiction for just over 4 years and no other facility could come near this, my wife is finally resting easy knowing that I'm off of the opiates and heroin, and every time I go in to visit my doctor monthly he tells me his new off Suboxone and clean total in every month at the jumps at least 5 to 10 people this Dr, is a LIFE SAVER, no question about it he wanted that says differently is a bold-faced liar. I was very skeptical to begin with he assured me and my wife both the process and how it works and he's became almost like family to us. If it wasn't for him I would be currently dead or incarcerated. So if you're mad that the doctors won't give you drugs please don't post bad reviews post the truth ,there that people just like I used to be that need to know this is a great facility and they need to get the help that they deserve.... but I do spend close to $400 monthly on my visit, but guess what I used to spend $400 in a matter of 3 to 5 days with my herion habit.... please post the truth to sum it all up in great facility great Dr great reception is great and darst very punctual and very down-to-earth.

Zb

This place treats you like dirt. They dont care about helping anyone. I cancelled my appointment when they called to confirm 24 before appt. I canceled because I wad affected by yhe floods around me. I called to reschedule. And i was told they are not accepting me as a new patient because I didn\'t call to cancel. Eventhough I technically did cancel 24 hrs in advance. They are ridiculous.