Clearbrook Manor in Wilkes Barre, PA

1100 E Northampton St
Wilkes Barre PA 18706

Clearbrook Manor Philosophy

Our patients and their families are our most valuable resource. We are dedicated to act on their behalf and to always advocate for their best interests. We must therefore adhere to the position of never compromising patient care for any reason. We believe in putting our patients first.
Clearbrook Treatment Centers treats chemical dependency as a disease, providing supportive, immediate care to those suffering from addiction, and their family members. The 12-step based treatment model is administered in a tranquil, rural setting in conjuction with an individualized treatment plan, based on each patient's needs.
Our co-ed facility admits patients who are at least 18 years old, and have sufficient physical, cognitive and behavioral skills to effectively participate in the therapy offered, and not pose an obstacle to the personal safety and recovery efforts of others in the program.

• Individual Therapy
    This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

40 Years of Experience Treating Addiction

Engaging, Interactive Presentations and Lectures

Tranquil Mountain Setting

Nicholas Colangelo, Ph.D.

CEO

Nick has personally helped thousands of people along the path to sobriety since becoming a counselor in 1975. A graduate of Boston University, he received his Master of Arts from Fairleigh Dickinson University and his doctorate degree from International College. Nick has been at Clearbrook since 1990 after serving as a principal in several recovery centers and was appointed CEO in 1998.

Nick’s personal approach to Clearbrook patients can be witnessed every day. You can always find Nick eating lunch with our patient community or giving a weekly lecture on his own personal experience of life in recovery. He maintains an active role in every department at Clearbrook to ensure that the facility is running as smoothly as possible. In October 2015, he was able to share the miraculous feat of 40 years in recovery.

Richard P. Conaboy, Jr.

Vice President of Clinical Affairs

A valued member of the recovery team since 2001, Conaboy joined Clearbrook as Administrator and Clinical Director. His current responsibilities include evaluating all incoming clients, assigning them to the appropriate counselor, following their care and planning after-care, as well as implementing the facility’s daily schedule. As a patient advocate, Conaboy takes time to talk to each patient every day, helping them solve daily problems, legal problems, and help get them through the treatment course. Conaboy has been involved in professional counseling since 1975, beginning at the State Correctional Institution at Rockview, conducting psychiatric and educational assessments of inmates. A graduate of Marywood University, with a bachelor’s degree in psychology, Conaboy has garnered more than 300 continuing education credits pertaining to drug and alcohol abuse, and recovery.

ABOUT CLEARBROOK MANOR — LAUREL RUN, PA

Located in Wilkes Barre, Penn., Clearbrook treatment center is private, nonprofit that operates Clearbrook Manor and its affiliated family program. Clearbrook Manor provides adult inpatient treatment and medically monitored detox to individuals who are struggling with drug and alcohol addiction.

According to Clearbrook Manor, the program lasts 28 days in total, including detox that’s monitored 24/7 by nurses. The center’s treatment philosophy follows the 12-Steps, and holds that alcoholism and chemical dependency are primary diseases.

Clients participate in individual and group therapy, including special-needs and gender-specific groups, plus lectures and discussions. They also attend Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings daily, both on campus and off-site.

Loved ones are encouraged to attend the weekend-long family program, which offers counseling, education, 12-step facilitation, and other therapeutic activities. In addition, there’s an adventure-based program for individuals ages 18 to 27. This program, called Sober Canyon, incorporates intensive outdoor activities into the regular treatment schedule.

Discharge planning begins the moment the client is admitted, such that every client leaves with an aftercare plan, including links to local 12-step meetings and introductions to individuals at those meetings.

Clearbrook Manor's website notes the staff includes a board-certified addictionologist, a clinical psychologist, a social worker, nurses, and bachelor’s level counselors. The 17 individuals reviewed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave an average of 4.06 for the staff's level of training and experience.

Clearbrook Manor's website indicates the facility has a new dining hall. The new residential building has a 22-bed detox unit and 68 residential beds. The 31 people polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave an average of 4.5 out of five stars for accommodations and amenities.

The more than dozen alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mostly positive feedback with just one alum giving a negative review.

The eight alumni surveyed in multiple metrics gave an average of 4.5 out of five stars when asked if they would recommend Clearbrook Manor. Alumni also provided an average of above four stars for the staff's level of training and experience, affordability, cleanliness, and family participation.

Some alumni complained about the lack of activities, and on average gave just 1.75 for holistic options. Most alumni praised the staff, but some did complain about how expensive it is.

"Clearbrook rehab center has very friendly and supportive staff," an alum wrote in a representative review. "I always feel welcomed when arriving and never embarrassed."

Of the 13 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date, nine gave positive reviews, two left neutral feedback, and two had negative opinions of the center.

The eight loved one surveyed in multiple metrics gave an average of 4.25 out of five stars when asked if they would recommend Clearbrook Manor. Loved ones also gave above four stars for the staff's level of training and experience, cleanliness, family participation, and connectivity. Loved ones also rated holistic offerings the worst with three stars.

"They keep your family involved and they continue to offer free and informative sources when you leave the facility and I think a big part is they offer open AA meetings," a loved one wrote in a representative review.

The one staff member surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided positive feedback and indicated they would recommend Clearbrook Manor.

According to Clearbrook Treatment Centers's website, it accepts most major insurances including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Highmark Blue Cross, First Priority Health, and Health Choices. The 15 people surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave an average of 3.93 out of five stars for affordability.

Published on January 2018

At the time I was very pleased. In hindsight, not as much. The counselor was a wonderful man,altho close to burnout.Besides playing basketball in the gym, I am not aware fo anything

Inconsistentcy with various rules and medical care. Billing information is very vague and creates alot of frustration for family and patients. Staff are genuine for the most part and I enjoyed my small group. Do not feel much one on one was provided to me personally but do know of those who may have required more assistance.

This place truly saved my life. This was my fourth rehab. The staff truly cares about there patients and ensures to provide all the tools necessary to begin a new life

Clearbrook provided me with amazing care! Every staff member I came into contact with genuinely seemed to care about me and wanted to help me. My courselor was nothing short of a miracle worker. She helped me work through the issues I used as excuses to get high. She showed my wife the value of going to their family program and as a result she feels better and our relationship is healing. Clearbrook taught me how to live in a way I never thought possible...joyful without drugs! I am forever grateful to them for showing me what real recovery is.

Entering into drug and alcohol treatment can be quite scary. Fortunately, there's no need to feel that way about Clearbrook. From day one you'll notice the family-like environment where the CEO himself is available to speak with. After working with Clearbrook this past year, I highly recommend Clearbrook as the treatment center of choice for anyone looking to take the steps towards a better life. Beautiful campus, friendly staff, and the professional support needed to help you achieve success with your journey.

No frills. Pampered wealthy clients Staff was mostly in recovery and that was a big help

It is a nice facility location and program. You have to really want the treatment in order for it to be a self success!

Would recommend this place.

An overall great facility with supportive staff.

My sister attended Clearbook and has now been sober for three years. I feel as if her treatment at this facility greatly helped her change her life.

Program was AA-based.

They keep your family involved and they continue to offer free and informative sources when you leave the facility and I think a big part is they offer open AA meetings while you are a patient which we feel gives you a look into the real world of recovery.

Clearbrook was a clean, safe, and supportive environment. In addition to being a place where substances, DOCs were not present, it provided guidance and self reflection. It is fully based on AA principles and prepares one for navigating oneself within the program upon leaving the facility. While there is little room in its rules/programmed time for personal choices/preferences to be made, it's program is tested and efficient to meet the needs of it's community members.

The facility was very clean and well run. The food was above my expectations. My counselors were thorough and usually always made to time to speak to me personally. There was even an incident of disruptive behavior by a patient that happened to be related to one of the higher ups at the facility. We were all impressed when the facility kicked him out, as opposed to turn a blind eye to his behavior that was affecting our treatment. I would definitely recommend Clearbrook to others seeking treatment.

My personal experience was a very rewarding one, I am very pleased to say this facility worked with me in every area I had asked for help and with that I am so thankful to be clean and sober today and manage my life in a new way.

It was okay.

Really helped me out.

Still in recovery.

I want to thank all the staff and outside speaker that came in and told their stories because it help me to change and listen. I thank God for the person I am today and the tools I have getting by working a program of recovery now it all started in the rehab.

Helping people but kinda expensive. It was a good place.

The workers who are ex addicts tell there life story and it gives you hope. All of the speakers are incredibly inspiring. This was a great place that had gotten me through my 4 year addiction of heroin and now i am living the life i have always wanted, one day at a time!. Highly reccomend this rehab to anyone and everyone.

Clean with attractive setting. Strong 12 step following. Length of stay is way too short. Some staff are very unprofessional and involve patients in staff issues that are none of their concern.

I am successful in my recovery because of the staff who taught me tools and connected me with others. They have a willingness to help with recovery plans and very generous with scholarships. The staff are mostly in recovery which makes it easier to relate. Not enough recreational things to do such as yoga and exercise.

It was a good facility but I was disappointed with the holistic opportunities.

I really enjoyed the facility.

Caring staff. Beautiful facility. My son was happy there but they did not follow up or have an after care plan. He was on his own when discharged. He took his own life 8 days after discharge.

Clearbrook is quite remote in a rural setting. This made it difficult to visit, but once there, if you allow yourself, the natural setting is quite nice. Take advantage of the family weekend- it is well worth it! Clearbrook has a strong family program and encourages participation. The long-time staff are well versed and competent. However, some of the staff was young and seemed inexperienced.

Clearbrook rehab center has very friendly and supportive staff. I always feel welcomed when arriving and never embarrassed. It is somewhat expensive. It is a lovely "campus." The family day activities are nice. I never felt completely alienated from my family. The staff are supportive and fair while I was detoxing. I feel like the staff are compassionate and understanding of the worst monsters.

Focus was on treatment and not the outside world. They favored rich and politically connected patients.

The facility was very understanding and they brought in meetings, which was nice. However, you couldn't talk to non-patients.

They cover key facts on sobriety. Overall it was a good place. It did help me but I went twice. They continually let the same people in over and over again and I believe a longer term facility should be offered. Also, the staff could be better and it was overrun by greed.

They were kind, caring and supportive. The people were nice.

Everything was great. It was wonderful for families.

This is the first treatment center that has my loved one wanting to stay. He wants it to be his home group after he is out of the 30 day stay. The staff gathered info from the family at the time he entered the program and even gave us a tour. No other place has done that much. This was a huge impression to us as a family. He is happy and lives the treatment and staff at Clearbrook. Beautiful location, wonderful staff, friendly and relaxing atmosphere for those truly wanting help.

Ambrosia Treatment Center
  • Free Recovery Helpline
  • 24/7 Family Support
  • 7.5K+ Clients Helped
Center for Healing
  • Vivitrol available
  • Seen weekly by our physician
  • Medication management