Cove Forge Behavioral Health in Williamsburg, PA

202 Cove Forge Road
Williamsburg PA 16693

Cove Forge Behavioral Health Philosophy

ABOUT COVE FORGE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH

Located on a quiet, 70-acre campus by the Juniata River in Williamsburg, Penn., Cove Forge Behavioral Health offers short-term residential treatment for individuals struggling with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. This facility is one of just 46 (9.2 percent of 502 total) non-hospital Pennsylvania facilities to provide residential detoxification services.

The center’s Heroin Opiate Positive Experience (H.O.P.E.) program serves individuals in early stages of recovery through holistic therapies. Cove Forge also offers intensive outpatient programming (IOP) in Erie and Pittsburgh.

Clients may begin treatment at Cove Forge Behavioral Health with three to five days of 24-hour, nursing-supported detox. Medication-assisted treatment, including Suboxone, is available to manage withdrawal symptoms, but not as a maintenance program. Vivitrol, which just over a third (36.3 percent) of Pennsylvania’s facilities provide, is also available as a recovery support for alcohol and opioid dependence.

A typical residential program is two to four weeks, according to the facility’s website. Residents can expect to participate in individual counseling at least once a week and receive dual diagnosis treatment, which may include medication management, as needed.

Among the modalities practiced are cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), rational-emotive behavior therapy (REBT), family interactional therapy, and reality/choice therapy. Group options include music therapy, gender-specific, and spirituality counseling. The H.O.P.E. program emphasizes endorphin production through diet, supplements, exercise, “brain retraining,” gratitude, humor, and music therapy.

Cove Forge Behavioral Health’s medical director is certified by the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM). The treatment team includes psychiatrists and certified addiction and co-occurring disorder counselors.

According to a Cove Forge website video, the Williamsburg campus serves up to 270 patients. The facility provides transportation for clients to begin their treatment, and alumni groups meet regularly on and off campus. In addition to daily ropes course activities, residents have access to walking trails, picnic tables, an on-site gym equipment, a recording studio, and arts and crafts activities, which include drawing and woodworking groups.

Eight of 15 Cove Forge Behavioral Health alumni reviews received by Rehabs.com to date were highly positive, four mixed, and three negative. Repeated comments noted an active daily scheduled and inconsistency in the quality of counseling. "Staff was compassionate and kind. However, sometimes one person did not know what the other person was doing," one alum wrote.

Between eight and 12 alumni were polled more extensively on an array of treatment aspects. Notably, the lowest average rating contrasted with one of the facility’s highlighted priorities (holistic offerings), while some of the highest ratings reflected favorably on other priorities.

Staff Experience and Training: 3.7/5
Counseling Options: 3.9/5
Holistic Offerings: 2.1/5

However, metrics measuring accommodations tended to suggest overall satisfaction.

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 3.5/5
Exercise and Leisure Activities: 3.3/5

Average ratings of 3.3 out of five stars for Cove Forge from 36 reviewers on Google and three out of five stars from 12 YellowPages.com reviewers revealed similar trends.[1] [2] Adding to a few mentions on Rehabs.com were alumni commented on the value of staff in recovery, a nice campus, and a busy program. A couple of reviewers reported a lack of follow-through support.

On Facebook, an average rating of 4.1 out of five stars from 13 reviewers accompanied alumni expressions of gratitude for staff and life-saving treatment, as well as reports, echoing some on other third-party review sites, of delayed access to medication.[3]

More than half of eight loved ones polled by Rehabs.com offered positive reviews; two were mixed and one negative. Comments and ratings particularly highlighted counseling and counselors as strengths, as well as the amount of family participation. Nearly all metrics measured, particularly holistic offerings, received higher ratings on average from family members than alumni.

Counseling Options 4.3/5
Holistic Offerings: 4.3/5
Family Participation: 3.8/5

Rehabs.com has not yet received any feedback from this facility’s former or current employees; however, nine staffers rated Cove Forge on average 2.7 out of five stars on Indeed.[4] Reviewers tended to agree that the atmosphere was busy, while some found it productive and others unprofessional.

Cove Forge Behavioral Health accepts commercial and state insurance plans and works with clients to finding additional funding if needed, according to the facility’s website. The most highly rated aspect of the facility on average, from 12 individuals polled by Rehabs.com, was financial.

Affordability: 4.4/5

[2] https://www.yellowpages.com/williamsburg-pa/mip/cove-forge-behavioral-health-center-456681890
[3] https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cove-Forge-Bhs-of-Williamsburg/110313239031258
[4] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Cove-Forge-Behavioral-Health/reviews

Published on November 2018

Program was excellent but his counselor did not communicate with us

Deb

Pleased she is in recovery and doing well

RLW

Overall the workers were polite and acted like they cared about your recovery.. but that is until something goes wrong. When I reported that several expensive shirts were gone along with my makeup- I was told it was my job to secure my things. I don\'t see how that is possible as you can\'t drag all of your stuff to every group. Don\'t forget to bring warm clothes in the colder months. The facility is in the mountains and it is cold. You have to stand outside for your meds and when it\'s cold and raining - it could be miserable. It was disappointing to learn that the trained counselors were the ones who facilitated the groups. The groups were run by 20 year old techs with no education. So there are plenty of areas for improvement. I would not return to this facility.

Barry

I just celebrated 26 years of sobriety. I went to Cove Forge in 1989, completed 28 days of treatment, and they sent me on the right track. I also had the opportunity to work there from the end of 1992 until 2000. Both experiences helped me enjoy the success I enjoy today.

A H

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID at all costs!!! This is a place for court-ordered people! ... FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE! The staff there will NOT be on your side (some, not all.. This place is a step down from jail, nothing else. I CANNOT STRESS IT ENOUGH, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! You become a number and an inmate there, not a person.

I was very disappointed with cove forge treatment center. It came highly recommended to me for my son\'s treatment of benzo dependency and co existing disorders. My son was released after 10 days because the counselor said \" if I don\'t say he\'s completed treatment, he will walk\". Sorry, but I don\'t think the patient should have control over when they are released. Despite telling them that my son was dealing with other issues along with the benzo use, he never received individual therapy and only saw a Dr once when he first arrived. My son is off the benzos now but still dealing with what caused the misuse to begin with. Not really what I expected treatment to be about. Really thought they would try to deal with the root cause and co existing condition was never address.

I can\'t argue against the quality of treatment however, to say the facilities were substandard is an understatement. The claims about bedbugs and other infestations are sadly true. After only two days, I had rashes in 3 different spots. This is most likely because the detox and inpatient units are absolutely filthy to the point that I would put off setting foot into the bathroom until absolutely necessary. The nurses/doctors were all very nice, but the actual counsellors and staff treat you as though you\'re unduly taking up their time... As if this wasn\'t the job they signed up for. And finally, there\'s the meals... Absolutely disgusting. I lost more weight from not being able to eat the garbage that passes for food than I ever did from the drugs that put me in there. During detox, the \"kitchens\" provided contained nothing but two types of cereal and some already black bananas. So if you weren\'t able to eat your lunch because of the terrible taste, you had to starve til dinner. If you want the PERFECT example of what you have to look forward to, watch the old Kamp Krusty episode of The Simpsons. Nail on the head.

C A N

They have meetings and speakers. They hire recovering addicts. Counseling not the best. I was there for a two week program. I didn't have to go through detox. To few counselors and techs with the proper level of education. However I am 3 yrs clean and sober so some things were right.

Keeps you busy throughout the day. Staff un-educated on proper coaching to an addict. The program is what you make of it. You can not help those that do not want to help themselves!

good program, but it needs some improvement.

Diversity great programs, location can be better. Had great experience no place ia perfect but they are great

The ability to get through to the patient and get them to understand the trigger points for their addiction. Let go of the shame and embarrassment of placing a family member in treatment. Put their needs first.

Detoxing and 30 day rehab. Control between the patients needs to improve. They have a great program if u stick it out

The counselors were good. The location could've been better. I admitted my sister

They lstned and let you live your life their main deal was to get you off the drugs and alchol that you were on. Inexperienced counslors not all but some. i still attend n'a and a'a meetings and i have been sober for 9 years. it has been hard but the tools they gave you and the rooms were of great help

PCK

The facility needed many improvements.

It was an overall good facility; however, they could have incorporated more family participation.

Lisa

All in all it was a good stay and I have stayed clean. I will have 5 years May 15th 2015. Staff was compassionate and kind. However, sometimes one person did not know what the other person was doing.

JK

It's a dual diagnosis center and they offer a wide range of activities to do. Really have no complaints about it.

John

The effect this place had on my life is worth 10 times whatever the cost. My overall experience was so positive, and it was rough going the first 4 days, when I left the rehab I felt that everyone over the age of 17, addict or not, would benefit from a month at this facility just to learn life skills.

Barry

The program changed hands. When I had 27 months sober, I went to work there for 7 1/2 years. It was more effective than I had imagined.

The counseling was very good; however, I was displeased with the pricing.

I was especially impressed by the effort made to help him secure funding however, I realize that is beneficial to the facility as well.

Maureen

It was an overall good facility; however, it lacked holistic offerings and extracurricular activities.

Carlynn

I was told it was an excellent rehab and it was closer to home than the others. Poor treatment by staff. Never spoke to a counselor. Beds/rooms were infested with bedbugs and ants. I missed meals and meetings because of their lack of communication. I was treated like a criminal, rather than someone with a disease. ... Then I get to my room, only to find ants and later, bed bugs in my room, on the mattress and in the sheets. I complained about it but nothing was done. I was told multiple times I couldn't use the phone even though in the beginning they promised two calls a day (15 minutes each). Even when I could use the phone, I was usually made to hang up before my time was up. After three days of detox, I was supposed to transfer to the rehab part of the facility, which they promised they had a bed for me. And it turns out they didn't. They didn't even have my name on a waiting list. I spoke to several staff members who told me they hadn't had any college education, and at least two of them were right out of high school. This is a horrible facility and I wouldn't recommend anyone attend it. You might as well go to jail for that treatment. At least they're consistent.

KAR

Got myself straight by using the tools they gave me there. They got me into counseling for aftercare treatment. I did relapse 2 weeks after.