Dawn Farm in Ypsilanti, MI

6633 Stony Creek Road
Ypsilanti MI 48197

Dawn Farm Philosophy

Dawn Farm provides a continuum of quality services for men and women with drug and alcohol problems. Dawn Farm often provides a last hope for young addicts and alcoholics who have run out of options. Since 1973, Farm programs have offered help-never turning people away for lack of funds. Dawn Farm programs produce results. We measure short and long-term client success, client satisfaction and other program outcomes. We are constantly using evaluation measures to improve the quality and effectiveness of our services. Dawn Farm is a tax exempt, not-for-profit organization under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Programs are licensed by the State of Michigan and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Recovery Groups

Relapse Prevention Groups

Discovery Groups

Julie Boster, LMSW, CAADC

Clinical Team Leader

Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, Julie received a BSW from the Ohio State University. She earned a MSW from the University of Michigan in 2000. Julie started with Dawn Farm in 2004. She helped develop our Daybreak Program and worked as a therapist providing substance abuse treatment to adolescents and their families. She is a therapist in our adult residential treatment program now and recently became the Clinical Team Leader. Julie also supervises the Evening/Weekend Resident Aides. In her free time, Julie enjoys spending time outdoors, being active with her two children, reading and traveling.

Kara Bunton, LMSW

Outpatient Mental Health Therapist

Kara was born and raised in Washtenaw County, and received her B.A. in Psychology from Eastern Michigan University in 2007. She received a Master of Social Work Degree from EMU in 2010, and a Behavioral Health Certificate in Serving Our Veterans in 2012. Prior to entering the field of mental health and substance abuse, she worked in housing/homeless services at both SOS Community Services and Interfaith Hospitality Network at Alpha House in both clinical and volunteer capacities. During her graduate studies, she completed clinical internships at Dawn Farm and the University of Michigan Health System in Psychiatric Emergency Services. After receiving her master’s degree, she was an outpatient mental health therapist and evidence-based DBT therapist at Recovery Technology, LLC in Jackson, a provider of Community Mental Health services. She is currently a fully licensed social worker, and joined Dawn Farm in March of 2013.

ABOUT DAWN FARM

Dawn Farm is a nonprofit drug and alcohol treatment center located in rural Michigan. Situated on a 64-acre working farm in Ypsilanti, 12 miles southeast of Ann Arbor, Dawn Farm offers long-term residential treatment for adults, placing it among the only 68 long-term, residential facilities in the state. In their Ann Arbor facility, the nonprofit organization also offers outpatient services, as well as a non-medical detox unit called the Spera Recovery Center.

A residential stay at Dawn Farm ranges anywhere from 90 to 120 days, allowing each client the time they need to form the habits and routines to thrive when returning back into the community. Programming combines holistic measures with evidence-based treatment.

Clients participate in individual counseling and daily group therapy that utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). In addition, residents may participate in eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), as well as art and work therapy. Educational classes and lectures also take place regularly, as does job training, G.E.D. services, and vocational referrals. Through 12-step immersion, the facility also encourages residents to obtain sponsors and take an active role in local meetings.

Daily work and recreational activities mostly revolve attending the needs of the farm. Clients are assigned a range of chores, including animal care, garden maintenance, and general upkeep of the grounds.

Prior to graduated the residential program, clients enroll in the center’s six-month aftercare program. They also have opportunities to live at the Chapin Street Project, Dawn Farm’s transitional housing unit, for an additional two years.

The facility employs a medical director, a psychiatric nurse practitioner, and over a half-dozen master’s level social workers and certified addiction counselors. The facility is also among the 54.8 percent of facilities in the state that are CARF-accredited. To date, the eight individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com praised the facility's staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.1/5

Dawn Farm in Ypsilanti can accommodate up to 36 clients at a time. The rehab keeps its costs down by keeping accommodations and amenities modest. Residents sleep in bunk beds in cabin-style facilities. Residents are responsible for the farm’s custodial needs and plan and cook their own meals. Dawn Farm is a working farm that raises animals such as pigs and chickens. To date, the nine individuals polled on the matter praised the facility's upkeep.

Cleanliness: 4.9/5

Out of the 17 alumni who left a review with Rehabs.com, ten were positive, six were negative, and one was neutral. “Connected me with the recovery community and taught me how to network and take care of myself,” explained alum T.F. Citing seven years of sobriety, Mary claimed practices that she initially found uncomfortable, like sitting in her thoughts, were “freeing,” even instrumental in her recovery. “Did I like all the rules there? No, of course not - but I followed them because I trusted that the staff knew about living sober - and I did not.” Mary also awarded perfect five-star ratings for the effectiveness of lead counselors and group counseling sessions.

However, several alumni offered negative reviews. “Absolutely horrible,” wrote P.K. “The staff and especially the therapists are manipulative.” Brian, who similarly referred to their experience as “horrible,” claimed that staff “have hidden agenda and do not come through with any of the promises that are made during intake.”

Feedback received from two loved ones was positive. When asked if they would recommend the facility, both loved ones gave perfect five out of five star ratings. Both also gave four- or five-star ratings to the majority of metrics, including the amount of family participation. One anonymous loved one commented that treatment was affordable when asked about strengths of the program. The anonymous reviewer considered the waiting list here a negative, but wrote: “Loved one who attended is considered a success story so far, celebrating almost 4 (years) of sobriety.”

The sole staff member surveyed by Rehabs.com celebrated the nonprofit’s large alumni network. “I have seen long-term sobriety obtained by some who have not had success at other facilities,” wrote the staff member, awarding five stars for the experience and honesty of the facility's staff.

Residential treatment costs $150 per day, but additional offerings - EMDR sessions, psychiatric evaluations, and medication reviews - are priced out separately. Per the nonprofit’s website, Dawn Farm does not currently work with any insurance providers, but maintains that “no individual will be denied services for lack of insurance of funds.”

Published on June 2019

JS

1) The continuum of care is built to provide recovery support and treatment from the point of detox all the way through their first or second year anniversary. Care is focused on long term recovery, not just the first days and weeks. 2) The place is honest. Unlike other programs, our fees are posted, there are no surprise fees, and no financial relationships with lab services or treatment placement services. 3) Professional staff. Long term residential sites are staffed with masters level clinicians and fully certified counselors. 4) The integration into the recovering community means clients have social support and are living recovery during their treatment and are well established when they move into the community. 5) Dawn Farm believes in the capacity of everyone to recover. There are high hopes, high expectations, and they don't give up. Limitations: Dawn Farm may not be the right place for people who are medically fragile or have a severe and persistent mental illness

A

Horrible place! I seen it all as a worker there for many year.

DL

For those reviewing this site, congratulations! It appears you're doing your homework (and truly interesting in the recovery process!). Admitting yourself into a substance program isn't easy, at least it wasn't for me, but I feel so much better several weeks / months into the process! As a current patient within the Dawn Farms network, I have to say there have been impressed with nearly ever aspect of their programs. Yet, unfortunately, there have been several heavy hitting cons. As in many on-line reviews, I tend to look for consistency in what's written here ---- if several individuals are concerned about the same issue, then more than likely, there's a reason for it. Reviewing several of the recent comments posted on this site (2017), I have to agree, that certain members of the staff (including professional therapists), do tend to carry some level of hidden bias or judgement --- which occasionally, rears its nasty head. That's human, right? Nearly all of us do at some point. However, it's disappointing when these limitations of care, cross the line into a professional, recovery environment. If this occurs, it obviously could cause someone in treatment to fear retaliation; or worse yet, 'shut down' during their therapy sessions. While the majority of Dawn Farms staff members have been outstanding resources during my recovery process, there were one or two 'bad apples.' The way around this? In my opinion, it was open communication. Works most of the time. I found it best to communicate my feelings, especially when misunderstood or misread, by one staff member in particular. Most of the time it helps...other times, people are just going to be ignorant (or insecure), and there's little we can do to change the situation. Acceptance. That's what I'm learning through AA (along with a health does of courage and wisdom!). Haha! Do your homework on agency success accommodations and rates, and decide which facility, agency or network is best for you. Either way, try and go in with an open mind and you'll be successful! Yes, sometimes easier said-than-done, but welcome to addiction! For myself, I'm glad I entered the program and FINALLY find myself HAPPY. Hope you can too! Anyway...overall, I would say the positives (for myself), have far outweighed any negatives; as the facility has been well established in the local community for several decades. Congrats for trying to better your life and doing what you have to -- clean, open and honest We all can do this! Go for it ------ it only gets better from here!

Kd

Not impressed with there program. Didn't see much interaction with the staff and the people that were in the program. Pretty lame

Pk

Absolutely horrible. I would rather be in prison than here. The staff and especially the therapists are manipulative. They are the problem. They forced me to call my parents and apologize for complaining about the place. I was sick as heck and they wouldn\'t let me get rest even when the doctor ordered for me to get rest. Please don\'t go here it\'s absolutely awful of a place and the clients are horrible also. No one is serious about getting sober.

TL

I am truly shocked at the lack of negative reviews. Dawn Farm is absolutely awful. They isolate you from friends and family, allowing five minute calls with blood relatives in the presence of a counselor twice a week. If you are the significant other of a resident, you will be called after two weeks he/she will call you and cut ties. Girlfriends, boyfriends, wives, husbands be warned: this WILL happen. Dawn Farms considers you a \"toxic influence\" and a \"distraction\", regardless of whether or not you actually are. There is no literature allowed besides the big book. Again, this is done under the pretense of removing distractions. Please imagine any other group that makes you cut all outside ties and gives you a book with all the answers--and it\'s the only book you can read.

Brian

Absolute horrible experience. Staff members have hidden agendas and do not come through with any of the promises that are made during intake ! If you are sick and suffering please do not put your faith into this place. They are the problem and not the solution ! If anyone wants to contact me I will be very happy to provide them with more information and facts well as the story is backed up by other Dawn farm residents.

Strengths: Programs available. Staff. Atmosphere. Weaknesses: Expensive. Family contact. Need to be serious and realistic with expectations.

Strengths: Comaraderie, work ethics, time for meetings, facilities. Weaknesses: Expenses, waitlist. Loved one who attended is considered a success story so far, celebrating almost 4 of sobriety, so thankful

Great facility, but it needed more exercise and leisure activities.

I highly recommend this facility to others with an addiction to alcohol. It was affordable and the staff there are really caring. The only downfall was that it was far from my house.

SF

I have seen long-term sobriety obtained by some who have not had success at other facilities...Large community of recovering individuals in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area, who have either been through Dawn Farm, or who believe in the Dawn Farm mission, so they make themselves available to support and sponsor Dawn Farm clients.

CGS

The worst experience I have ever had in my life. Not a healthy place for recovery. Absolutely no respect from the staff and minimal from the peers. If you want 3 hots and a cot instead of going to prison or jail this is the place to go.

JC

They were tough but it was what I needed.

TF

Connected me with the recovery community and taught me how to network and take care of myself.

anonymous

They are amazing

Mary

They made me "sit in my feelings" - something as an alcoholic I'd never done. I learned that feelings pass! Duh! I still chant the Serenity Prayer when I find myself choosing anger. Knowing that all I can control are my attitudes and my behaviors is a relief, very freeing. Did I like all the rules there? No, of course not - but I followed them because I trusted that the staff knew about living sober - and I did not. I made a terrible choice, and had all the tools I needed to get and stay sober again. I have been sober now for more than 7 years. Dawn Farm and my sponsor helped me save my own life.