De Paul Treatment Centers - Adult Center in Portland, OR

Call (503) 535-1151 to Contact De Paul Treatment Centers - Adult Center

1312 SW Washington St.
Portland OR 97205

De Paul Treatment Centers - Adult Center Philosophy

Treatment at De Paul is based on the belief that chemical dependency develops within the context of an individual’s heredity and environment. We view addiction as a complex, chronic and treatable illness. We believe that all individuals have within them innate health and the capacity to recover.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Support Systems Development

Culture-Specific Groups

Dialectical Behavior Therapy

Maree Wacker, MPP

Chief Executive Officer

Maree Wacker is a recognized leader with 20 years of experience in non-profit management. Wacker joins De Paul Treatment Centers as CEO after serving as the Regional CEO of the Cascades Region of the American Red Cross for the last four and a half years. In her capacity at the Red Cross, Maree was responsible for six local chapters in Oregon and Southwest Washington working with the local boards and executive directors and over 2,000 employees and volunteers.

Margaret Weil, BS, CADC II

Director of Adult Residential Services

Margaret has a B.S. from the University of Phoenix in Human Services and is Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Level II. Margaret has been with De Paul Treatment Centers for nine years and in this time has been a counselor on both the men and women’s floor, and Supervisor of the Men’s Program. She is experienced in evidenced based practices for residential programs. She manages a service model of individualized treatment, which integrates substance use and mental health disorders. Margaret has been clean and sober for fourteen years and makes the most of her personal experiences as a way to contribute to the client’s early recovery.

ABOUT DE PAUL TREATMENT CENTERS

Located in Portland, Ore., De Paul Treatment Centers is a nonprofit organization that provides treatment for individuals who are struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. While care is available for youth through other De Paul centers, the downtown Portland facility exclusively treats adult clients. Available services include medical detoxification services, residential treatment, day treatment, intensive outpatient treatment (IOP), and standard outpatient treatment (OP).

Prior to beginning treatment, all clients undergo an initial assessment with De Paul’s clinical team. Evaluation findings are then used to develop a treatment plan that is customized according to each client’s individual needs and goals. Those who are experiencing symptoms of withdrawal typically begin with medically-assisted detox, which lasts three to five days.

Once stabilized, clients who require an intensive level of care may enter residential treatment, which offers 24-hour supervision and a mix of individual, group, and family therapy, all in a gender-specific setting. The center’s programming is guided by 12-step principles and incorporates a variety of modalities, including motivational interviewing, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

In addition to standard residential treatment, De Paul offers The Accelerated Residential Program (ARP), which is shorter and intended for self-paying clients or those with private insurance. Regardless of treatment track, duration of care is dependent upon each client’s needs.

Day treatment offers programming that is similar to what is provided through the residential service, but in an outpatient setting. Duration of treatment is two to four weeks, and clients receive over 20 hours of treatment each week. Those enrolled in IOP attend between nine and 19 hours of sessions each week, and outpatient clients receive up to eight hours of treatment a week.

According to De Paul’s website, the center’s treatment team includes physicians, nurses, certified alcohol and drug counselors, master’s-level mental health counselors, and mental healthcare professionals.

Like its treatment programming, De Paul’s residential facilities are gender-specific. Residents share bedrooms and have access to communal bathrooms, homelike lounge areas, and exercise equipment. Cell phones are not permitted, but clients may make and receive phone calls using the facility’s phones after five days of treatment. Coffee and caffeinated beverages are prohibited, but clients are allowed to smoke outside during designated times.

Four of the five alumni polled by Rehabs.com were satisfied with their experiences. Those who provided the facility with strong ratings found the treatment to be effective, but both satisfied and unsatisfied alumni indicated that the facility’s policies and staff were strict. “At first I didn't think they were doing much for me but when I got out I realized that tha t basically programmed me to be sober if I really wanted it,” Robert wrote. However, Teresa shared a different perspective. “Not a lot of empathy. I was fresh off a relapse and I felt that I got little to no empathy at all there…I felt lost and scared there,” she wrote.

When asked how likely they were to recommend the facility to others, the six friends and family members polled by Rehabs.com provided a rating of 3.17 out of five stars. “While, we all know that it's a ongoing process she's been clean for 3 years. I will be forever greatful to them for helping her,” one anonymous loved one told Rehabs.com. Loved ones were most impressed with the center’s affordability, which they rated with 4.2 stars. The facility’s family participation and cleanliness also fared well, each receiving 4.17 stars.

Although the staff’s level of experience received 3.67 stars, some loved ones were critical of the treatment team. “Some staff didn't do much to help,” one respondent wrote. The program’s holistic offerings received the lowest rating of 2.8 stars.

The one staff member polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave the center’s treatment effectiveness four stars, but also offered criticism of De Paul’s staff and facility. “Could use some new furniture and decor. the ‘management’ team needs to be a little more approachable to residents,” they wrote. When asked how likely they were to recommend the facility to others, this staff member provided a rating of two out of five stars.

According to its website, De Paul accepts most insurance plans, including those from Kaiser Permanente, Moda Health, and United Healthcare. Some financial assistance is available to qualifying individuals.

Published on October 2017

went in to program everything kool but after 30-60 days started wondering when i was going to get promised housing assistance and was told only option was going into 'oxford house' which you have to pay for and i didnt have any money. they must have a contract with said organization or something because though i happen to know depaul has DEEP resources in housing, 'treatment' is a big industry in this country....wish ya all luck n success in your journeys!

This year I am celiberating 20 years clean from meth and all other drugs thanks to the treatment I received from this great place! If you are willing, it works. And no relapses. I want to share this with everyone.

This place is basically a cross between "prison and high school" that is in quotes because it was said by a fellow former client. I had to agree. There are 52 beds for men and 38 of them probably have warrants. If you are over the age of 35 and choose to be there by your own accord, think twice. Other clients equated it to me several times how much better the place is....compared to jail. "Yo dawg! The food rocks!" This is apparently relative to mildly nutritious slop? More commonly heard was "hey bro, my p.o. made me be here...using day I'm out". This mentality, rudeness of SOME staff (most were awesome but really, going thru personal sh*t and need attitude!?), and the "do as I say not as I do mentality"...meaning they said they would do things, but never came to fruition. Check out another center, before you come here.

I love depaul. Changed my life, gave me the tools to be ready on the outside world after my treatment. Really nice staff, knowledgeable counselors that can relate to your story. Clean date 2/1/2011 to present

Hard core recovery, Not a lot of empathy. I was fresh off a relapse and I felt that I got little to no empathy at all there. There was not a lot of counseling options there and the food was very bad. I felt lost and scared there. They did not recommend any housing options when I got out it was a very confusing time for me.

Family involvement was good. Length of program could've been better, we had a good experience overall

Strict program, People get kicked out for things that aren't always fair. At first I didn't think they were doing much for me but when I got out I realized that tha t basically programmed me to be sober if I really wanted it..

Just go, your live will begin to let you live slowly over a period of time. I can smile now and could not before. I am needed wanted and loved.

I had attended this treatment before. Also it has a duel diagnosis program.

There was a bed open! Sending recovering addicts out alone with another recovering addict Very poorly organized and does not take the addict into consideration when sending them out of the facility with another addict who is newer even

I was out there a long time. 25 years on the street. I live a different life today. I'm a different person today.

location and a couple main counselors that work there were great, Could use some new furniture and decor. the "management" team needs to be a little more approachable to residents

Variety of treatment, Some staff didn't do much to help. It is in a convenient location

trained people with degrees, many types of rehabs, includes the entire family. My sister went through their drug rehab 3 years ago. While, we all know that it's a ongoing process she's been clean for 3 years. I will be forever greatful to them for helping her.

Caring and independent,not enough money. They helped my friend get back on his feet and he is doing well

Good out patient treatment, Some counselors are not timely for one on one meetings. It was helpful for my family