Destin Recovery Addiction Treatment Center in Destin, FL

Call (850) 637-8787 to Contact Destin Recovery Addiction Treatment Center

4635 Gulfstarr Dr.
Destin FL 32541

Destin Recovery Addiction Treatment Center Philosophy

Located right on the beach, Destin Recovery provides clients with a tranquil and therapeutic atmosphere for drug and alcohol treatment. The substance abuse rehab offers a full continuum of care, including medically-monitored detox, residential services, outpatient treatment, and sober living houses. State-of-the-art therapy techniques and personalized treatment programs focus on all facets of the disease, giving clients the opportunity to develop new coping skills, find inner peace, and finally regain control of their lives.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Complex detox from polysubstances

Dedicated team of treatment specialists

Buprenorphine dependence treatment

DR. ROLAND REEVES, MD, FACS, ABAM

Founder, Medical Director

Because of a long-standing passion, he began caring for patients with addiction issues in addition to his vascular work. His passion, interest and practice steadily expanded, and he became Board Certified in Addiction of Medicine, eventually stopping his vascular work to focus entirely on Addiction Medicine. His work with severe vascular disease also led to an interest in chronic pain syndromes and severe neuropathies that often require treatment with addictive substances by pain specialists. Newly appointed Director of Addiction Medicine at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast Member of the American Society of Addiction Medicine Triple Board Certified in General Surgery, Vascular Surgery, and Addiction Medicine Medical School at the University of South Florida Internship and residency in General Surgery at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte Vascular Fellowship at the University of Tennessee, and training as an Endovascular Associate at Stanford University Medical director of Destin Recovery and South Walton Medical Center Former Head, Division of Vascular Surgery, Naval Medical Center San Diego

Kelly Reeves

Co-founder, RN

Coming Soon

ABOUT DESTIN RECOVERY ADDICTION TREATMENT CENTER

Located on Florida's Emerald Coast, Destin Recovery Addiction Treatment Center offers a comprehensive suite of substance abuse treatment services to adults, including those with more complex medical or psychiatric needs. These services include medically monitored detoxification, inpatient treatment, outpatient treatment, and aftercare. The rehab center takes pride in its credentials as a facility owned and operated by a board certified addiction medicine physician. Additionally, the facility's website boasts direct access to beaches and "nature's therapeutic beauty."

Destin Recovery Addiction Treatment Center emphasizes specialized care for individuals struggling with multiple concerns in connection with treatment. According to its website, the facility is equipped to treat clients who have a dual diagnosis of such conditions as chronic pain, psychiatric disorders, heart or lung disease, diabetes, liver failure, or various age-related challenges. Professionals are accommodated, as well as clients who have experienced repeated relapse following other treatment programs.

Clients may be able to begin treatment within 24 hours of calling. During intake on-site, each individual undergoes a physical and psychological examination.

When necessary, individualized treatment plans begin with detoxification, which involves medication-assisted therapy such as buprenorphine for clients withdrawing from opioid dependence. The center typically recommends a 30-day intensive residential treatment program and/or a long-term outpatient program in combination with sober housing operated by Destin Recovery. Some clients remain in long-term treatment for between two months and a year. Outpatient treatment sessions are provided at South Walton Medical Group, an affiliated facility.

Family participation is prioritized, along with access to both medical care and evidence-based psychotherapy, which includes cognitive behavioral (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapies (DBT). Clients can expect to receive one-on-one counseling, group-based process therapy and education, and mindfulness and spiritual training. Most clients also participate in off-site Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics, Cocaine Anonymous, or other 12-step groups and practices. Drug screenings are conducted regularly.

Among the aftercare services available from Destin Recovery are employment and legal assistance and life coaching.

The facility maintains a 3:1 staff-to-client ratio, according to information supplied by staff members to Rehabs.com. Destin Recovery’s founder and medical director is board certified in addiction medicine with a background also in vascular surgery. Other staff members, many of whom are in recovery, include licensed clinical social workers and certified addiction counselors.

The Destin Recovery Addictions Treatment Center residences are located on the beach and amenities and activities offered feature relaxation and taking advantage of the local surroundings. Photographs on the facility website show comfortably furnished living spaces, modern kitchens, and rooms with a view of the water. The number of spots available in the center's main, gender-specific condos varies, with 14 beds listed at the time of this writing.

Most bedrooms are shared, although private rooms can be arranged. Residents contribute through chores, including cooking and basic cleaning.

Integrated into a weekly schedule of therapy and education are activities including fishing, dolphin excursions, hiking, swimming, and dining out. Residents also have access to a local fitness center and are encouraged to participate in exercise, yoga, meditation, and massage.

Personal music-listening devices and smoking are allowed.

Feedback from former clients for Destin Recovery Addictions Treatment Center was split between five negative reviews and three positive. The eight alumni reviews on Rehabs.com to date touched on an array of topics, sometimes in opposition to each other, but there were some points of agreement.

Alumni Susan, S.M., Sam, and Dana all concurred that the treatment they received was not effective. Sam described his therapist as "terrible," while Dana noted that the doctor was available, but "not very helpful." In addition, these four reviewers rated general accommodations and meals and nutrition poorly, with mostly one and two stars out of five. Two cited less access to the beach and related leisure activities than promised. Two also complained of limited contact with family members. A particularly critical reviewer expressed concerns about treatment practices that they experienced as humiliating and emotionally aggressive.

By contrast, three alumni highlighted the effectiveness of treatment. Chris characterized his experience as life-saving, J.J. wrote that the facility could help anyone, and an anonymous reviewer highlighted the longterm value of the sobriety tools taught. The same alum also cited the individual care received as a highlight.

Five loved ones submitted feedback to Rehabs.com, split in the same way from alum: three would not recommend the program and two would. Two who were surveyed more extensively awarded four- and five-star ratings for metrics measuring the facility's cleanliness and upkeep, effectiveness of treatment, exercise and leisure activity, and the level of staff training and experience. Holistic offerings and dual diagnosis treatment, both key elements promoted by the facility, received much lower ratings from one to three stars.

Concurring with the alum who found Destin Recovery visitation and outside communication policies strict, one parent wrote that while some of the staff might seem uncaring, the structured approach was necessary for the recovery process. However, two other loved ones concluded that staff were uncaring and disrespectful.

Two loved ones also complained about financial issues and one agreed with the alumni who reported differences between their experience and what was promoted in the facility's marketing materials.

At the time of this writing one current staff member has been polled by Rehabs.com. C.D. acknowledged that the cost of treatment at Destin Recovery was not affordable for some clients, but emphasized the value of the staff who worked as a team and were committed to helping individuals achieve holistic recovery.

The Destin Recovery Addictions Treatment Center's website lists about half a dozen insurance companies they work with, out-of-network. Destin Recovery partners with My Treatment Lender for financing.

Published on January 2018

TM

Dr. and his wife are not caring and unprofessional. The staff is on a power trip. They will treat your loved ones like a child. The so called therapist is not competent. Dr. only wants to make money ($10,000 a month). They never suggest anyone is ready to leave after 30 days. Everyone is kept at least 3 months or until they don't have any more money. I was scared to death the whole time I was there. Please send your yourself, child or parent somewhere else.

If I could give this place a negative rating, I would. I came out much worse than when I went in. They lied to my family and me. The doctor told my husband I had taken drugs I HAD NOT!!! I am a straight alcoholic. They wasted our money and lied to get my husband to pay for another month because they knew we had money. Their only motivation was monetary and went to any lengths to get it. The doctor was determined not to let me out at 30 days and had me sent falsely to the psychiatric ward 3 days shy of my supposed discharge date in the attempt to keep me at Destin Recovery and take our money. He tried to get the Sheriff's Department to do the paperwork. They refused, so the doctor did it. The psychiatric ward released me immediately because it was unwarranted. They also refused to send me back to that hellhole and sent me home. That little trip to the psychiatric ward cost $14,000, and the doctor refused to pay it. The psychiatric nurse said the doctor had done this before. BEWARE! Destin Recovery practices humiliation and degradation. They had me crying in front of the whole group because I was helping other patients. They said I wasn't concentrating on my own problems. What a farce! I checked in because I needed help. Another week in the same group, one of my roommates was verbally abused for dressing slutty. The next week, my other roommate was abused for looking sultry. She was a beautiful lady and did nothing special to look sultry. My last week, he picked on a lovely lady who was in the outpatient program. She did nothing to deserve it! While I was there, the doctor only picked on women and appears to have a deep-seated resentment against us. The website makes the center look like a great place to be. Don't be fooled by this. We were only allowed to go to the beach 1 time, and we all had to walk together. There was no swimming, sunbathing, paddle boarding, or kayaking even though they advertise it. The absolute worst of all this is that my marriage broke up because my husband believed the doctor's lies. Even though the doctor did NOT have permission to talk to my family, he did anyway and involved my husband in his hellacious plans for me. Because of this, my husband felt entitled to verbally and emotionally abuse me until I left him months later. The doctor knew my husband had controlling and narcissistic issues. My husband was played like a fiddle! The doctor's notes in my record state several medical conditions he thought I had. I HAD NONE OF THEM!!! My test results from the psychiatric ward back this up, and there were NO drugs or alcohol in my body. They discourage family involvement. I was not allowed to talk to my husband for 2 weeks, and then, only on speakerphone in front of my therapist. My husband agreed to research other treatment centers for me. My therapist called him behind my back to ask him not to. I asked when my husband could visit. She said in a couple of weeks, which was after my discharge date. They had no intention of discharging me and convinced my husband not to pick me up after 30 days. I COULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN OUT at 30 days! I was a prisoner. I only got out because they sent me to the psychiatric ward. It was supposed to keep me for 3 days then send me back to Destin Recovery for another month. It backfired on the doctor. The psychiatrist rescinded the order and sent me home. I now have PTSD because of the whole experience and will be in therapy for years. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GO OR SEND ANYONE HERE!!! You will waste money and be humiliated. By the way, the doctor's wife is also his nurse. Between the 2 of them, they have a horrible addiction treatment center scam going.

Sam

The doctor only cares about money. Don\'t waste yours on this place. Don\'t send someone you love here. My therapist was terrible... Don\'t let them contact your family. I couldn\'t talk to mine for 2 weeks and only on speakerphone in front of the therapist. Visits are not allowed.

This facility compassionately teaches patients what will be required to sustain and love long term recovery. They are willing to spend the time with each patient to really explore the struggles that new recovery brings and help find solutions. The techs are almost all in recovery and their experience gIves hope!

JJ

The doctor and his staff at Destin Recovery can truly help anyone with an addiction disorder. They are caring and professional.

Dana

absolute waste of time and money. If you need help with a substance abuse issue, go somewhere else. Did not even begin to touch on the issues that lead to my relapse. Treat patients like they are children and even though the dr is at the office 5 days a week, he\'s not very helpful.

Very nice and well organized. Clean and decorated comfortably. Didn't treat people like they were less than others. It was a great and enlightening experience. They just need better food.

re

Big sales pitch loaded with a bunch of \"have a blessed day, God bless you, etc\"; don\'t buy it. I had the most horrible experience dealing with Destin Recovery Treatment Center. They were uncaring, disrespectful, vindictive and totally lacking any compassion. Threw our son out only because we changed our minds and decided to pay month to month instead of the \"discounted\" upfront price.

Chris

I checked myself in not inking what was in store. I was a not so easy patient and loved to argue and try to run away every chance I got. The staff at the condo showed me the light and saved my life. They were true people who cared and I still communicate with several to this day and it's been over a year. Thank you all at Drc from the bottom of my heart. I would be dead without the help of two staff members in particular talking with me. Love all of yall...

CD

Once a client is here they find that all the staff members are like minded in that we want what is best for the client and lovingly demonstrate this to all the clients. everyone works as a team, most of us are in recovery, believe in Mind, Body Spirit mission in recovery. It is an excellent program although the price is sometimes not affordable to persons seeking low cost treatment.

Uses the 12 step based recovery, uses biology and spirituality. Some of the staff seemed uncaring but really they where being strict for the addicts own good. It was a great facility, helped my son deal with his addiction and emotional problems at the time.

Jane

I don\'t recommend anyone sending a loved one here or a dog for that matter. Do your research please and find somewhere that will really help you. Everything these people told us was a lie to get you there. ...Everything they say about talking to loved ones is a lie. It looks nothing like the website at all. I\'ve never heard of place treating people like this to help them, it\'s manipulating what they do.... Rehab is something you really need to read reviews and really do research on. Take your time when finding the right place. Do not just listen to someone on the phone and trust it\'s great cause they say it is. Do not be fooled by a website. This was a voluntary thing that turned into a nightmare for our family. The doctor is hatful and nurses don\'t care. There is a few councilors that were great but it\'s not enough to send someone there. I wanted to leave this so hopefully we can save someone from making this mistake like we did, if we can one person that\'s great!!! There are plenty of places out there that can help you, don\'t give up!!! Just don\'t go here!!!!!!!! Please

SM

A total rip-off. They bilk people out of money and will go to ANY lengths to get it!!! You have to cook your own food. You are treated like a criminal.

Susan

I had a hellacious experience at DRC. The doctor only cares about money. He actually convinced my spouse to pay for another month... which was immediately rescinded by a psychiatrist. I came out worse than when I went in. After admission to another rehab facility, I am sober. Be careful about their good reviews... Don\'t let the beach setting fool you. We were only allowed to go one time the entire month.

Tp

Please don\'t ever send a loved one here. It\'s only about money. You can find really good places just do research!! Don\'t make this mistake