Discovery Institute

80 Conover Road, Marlboro, New Jersey, 07746

About Discovery Institute

The Discovery Institute views dependence as a disorder of the “whole person” affecting every aspect of his or her behavior, belief system, and lifestyle. This disorder is profound in nature and has a negative impact on one’s self, family, and society as a whole. Discovery has come to recognize that this condition affects people many ways, which causes our treatment approach to be designed to address any and all issues that support and contribute to addiction. A primary emphasis is placed on the importance of the individual to seek and incorporate a change in his or her behavior, attitude, and lifestyle.
Discovery’s holistic treatment initiatives will be all encompassing in nature due to addiction affecting so many aspects of an individual’s life. This allows Discovery to not only treat addiction, but address significant related issues based on the individual needs.

Individualized Treatment

Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

Medical Detoxification

Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

• 76% success rate 6 months out of treatment as per the state of New Jersey
  • Transportation Available
  • Trauma Informed Services

3.9/5

• B.D.
    The place was in shambles. I heard others who have been in jail before complaining that they had been served better food in prison. There were not enough employees working. The hot water was not operational for 8 out of 19 days that I was there. If you are not covered by private insurance do not go here. If you have private insurance you go with a smaller group of people (around 15) through out the day and attend smaller groups. If you have medicaid or medicare you are treated like a 3rd class citizen and lumped into one big group and are pretty much left to fend for yourself. The doctor that prescribes your medication is Russian, barely speaks English, and should have his license taken away. The detox facility is rated #1 in new jersey but what you don't see is their rehab facility that is absolutely nothing like the detox is barely operational. The food is undercooked and I hope you like eating everything with a spoon because god forbid they trust patients with a fork or knife. If I could do it all over again I would rather have locked myself in a basement somewhere and came off of prescription medication by myself. It would have been way more safe and comfortable. I had high expectations for this place but they failed to meet them by any standard.
    PROS First time detox at another facility for seven days. I admitted myself to Discovery for alcoholism. Words can not express the positive life time experience i have acquired within the three week of admittance. However, I feel its imperative to express. Upon arrival I was accordingly search, then assigned a room. The rooms are double and some have shared bathrooms. I guessed I lucked out and was assigned a room with my own bathroom and no roommate. The food (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)was above decent as well as the portions served. The staff from Admin to the hands on Techs were accordingly affable along with with being stern when needed. As one can imagine,order is a necessity to keep over 30 male addicts in order. My assigned Counselors were professional, knowledgeable and readily willing with providing me with further outside (Programs and Therapy, etc.)assistance after program completion if needed. The days are scheduled to the tee give or take. Personal time is included within the day as well. I had a choice to workout at the gym, play pool or relax and look at movies with the other clients. Most important for me were the scheduled group meeting along with the evening outside AA or NA speakers. Clients can sign up for outside evening meetings as well. Overall, checking into rehab is sobering, intimate and personal choice. In addition: Twice a week clients are able to sign up and chosen to use the YMCA facility in a town (Swimming, Steam room, Hot tub, Gym, etc) Truthfully, I've made one of the best decision I have ever chosen for myself. to date, I SURRENDER! Now I'm committed to put in the work thanks to Discovery Institute rehab. "One Day At a Time" GOOD LUCK!:) CON The worst experience: At night tech opens door hourly to check on you. With the announcement "ROOM CHECK!" How is one suppose to sleep with that business. Sleep is extremely advised within the rehabilitation,recovery process. if so, then why they exercise this nonsense as a routine. I'm Baffled:(
  • Steve
    Even though I've been to many programs and have struggled with alcohol and drugs for nearly 50 years, I am happy I made the decision to participate in the in-patient program at Discovery. The accommodations were better than other programs, but more importantly, the group and one-on-one counseling were excellent. I kept an open mind and heard recovery based inormation I really never considered before. Coming home I have issues wirh family and employment, but running away from these problems and getting high is NOT the solution today. Thx Discovery and a special thx to my counselor, Irene.
  • Anthony
    I have been working at Discovery Institute 2 years this september I love working at Discovery I have learned a lot working at Discovery. All the other employees are good people and we all take care of the clients and show we care about them were here to show love 4 are clients and make them feel better and to make are clients feel very comfortable.i love love the people and staff at Discovery I love my job and I love doing what I do.i have met the owner and he is a very good and caring guy.
  • JD
    One of the best facilities ever. From the minute you walk in your greeted with love and compassion. Best counselors, nursing staff, and techs. If you wanna be given the tools to learn how to live a life in recovery, this is the place to go.
  • Ev
    Staff chooses favorites and counseling is bad , all the workers just care about getting paid . Ive seen alot of people at my stay there ,
  • VB
    Amazing staff with quality care! Have recommended this place to several of my friends and family members.
  • Jared
    This place is a blessing and a curse. I only did the detox part so I cant speak for the full 30 day program. However if you go in for detox the nurses are awesome, the techs/babysitters are great. However the psyciatrist had zero compassion, the counselor is a good guy but hes so busy that setting up after care is extremely difficult and there are no groups or meetings really. Instead of learning about recovery you just watch tv all day. If its your 1st time you will learn very little. If you want to learn and have groups so you dont sit around allday thinking then id recommend carrier. If you dont care about what happens after detox and just want to watch tv then this place is for you. The food was descent. I had issues with the program directors bc they lied ALOT, there is sooo much miscommunication but its a nice facility.. Best of luck!
    counselors treatment. they teach all the skills needed to live a drug free life.
  • Caril
    They just want the money. Horrible, disrespectful
    Counselors are great. they were the best in helping you to cope with your addiction and on how to live A BETTER LIFE.
    counselors and staff are great. it is a great facility if you really want to recover.
  • Alexandra
    The staff is phanominal they are very professional was well as extremely down to earth and well mannered and seem. Extremely caring and kind , the facility is very clean as well which is always of great importance for good health in any manner anytime and anywhere , also a lot of great activities. Maybe could have a bit of bigger and more private patients rooms other then that I believe that discovery institute hands down in a wonderful rehab as well as the faculty seem like they know what they are doing and seem To be doing a great job by my own opinion and expirences. The discovery institue in Marlboro NJ is really a wonderful and well mAnnered and also very Caring and are always going above and beyond helping the patient as well as just being with there patients and communicating properly and as it should be anywhere anyday home or hospital or rehab or shopping or in the street.
  • Kristin
    Teaches you structure and how to get rid of negative behavior. Food is not healthy.
  • Smg
    This center helped save my life. They are a bare bones facility that cares for the individual. They have certainly changed the old school treatment plan they used to have. They work with the individual more than ever. I attended when it was a therapeutic community and again after they integrated a better individual approach and they helped me stay clean and sober.
  • GKD
    Poor treatment plan. It was substandard so currently looking for another/better rehab center. Our son was not medicated with his mood stabilizer during his stay which in turn caused him to act out. Their excuse was he refused his meds, but I was not informed and no intervention was enacted on their part.