Endeavor House in Kearny, NJ

Family Therapy
12 Step-based Program
Personalized Outpatient Plans

ABOUT ENDEAVOR HOUSE NORTH

Endeavor House provides substance abuse treatment for adults at three locations in New Jersey, two residential and one outpatient. This facility, in the Newark suburb of Kearny, is the northern and larger of the two residential facilities, at which intensive outpatient programming is also offered. Along with residential care, medical detox services and medication-assisted therapy (MAT) are available. Endeavor prioritizes family involvement in recovery, a 12-step approach, and holistic therapies.

The more than 40-year-old Endeavor group is now part of Pinnacle Treatment Centers, which operates rehab programs in eight states, including seven in New Jersey. Pinnacle's Delaware Valley Medical in Pennsauken partners with Endeavor House North for some MAT services. The smaller Endeavor House, in Keyport, provides the same services as Kearney.

According to the Endeavor House website, the length of treatment for residential treatment, following detox, is typically 20 days. A more intensive seven-day program is available, as well as outpatient and aftercare programming for up to a year. Clients begin the admissions process with a phone call, and a medical exam is is conducted on-site during in-take.

Both medical and psychological services are included in Endeavor's residential programming. The facility's website describes a holistic program during which daily group therapy sessions, twice-weekly individual therapy, multi-family groups, and 12-step concepts and practices (including work with a local sponsor) complement art and music therapy sessions. meditation, and nutritional guidance. Some individualized plans also incorporate methadone, Suboxone, or vivitrol treatment.

Aftercare at Endeavor House prioritizes supportive client connections, such as continued participation in Alcoholics or Narcotics Anonymous. Alumni activities range from sober social events to return visits at the residence.

Endeavor House employs doctors, nurses, social workers, and master's-level therapists. Bachelor's-level counselors with experience are also on staff, and some hold American Psychological Association certifications for addiction treatment, according to job descriptions on the facility's website.

Endeavor House North is located in the former West Hudson Hospital. Website photographs feature sophisticated and calming decor, a game room, and shared bedrooms. Smoking is allowed on-site, but personal electronic-use is not.

Of 28 reviews provided to Rehabs.com by former clients of Endeavor House North, about two-thirds were favorable and one-third negative. Opinions were often in the very high or very low range, with just a couple of a more moderate tone. More than half the alumni rated the effectiveness of treatment five out of five stars. About a quarter awarded just one or two stars.

The staff's level of training and experience received multiple complaints, although a greater number of alumni praised treatment team members. "The staff there seem to care but are not competent or very knowledgeable on facts other than the ones that Endeavor House wants them teaching," Tom wrote. Countering this perspective were Sung's comments: "The staff is very receptive to people’s needs and the groups offer great insight into the issues surrounding addiction and subsequent sobriety."

Even overall pleased alumni expressed disappointment in the facility's lack of individualized care. "No direct help/teachings for a specific addiction," C.P. wrote. Another anonymous alum suggested: "I would have tried to keep the recovering alcoholics, who tended to be older, together," rather than being subject to a greater focus on opioid dependency.

Several alumni mentioned strict rules, some in praise and others in criticism. Two complained about food and two about limited access to outside spaces.

Nevertheless, positive comments tended to focus on treatment outcomes, including tools that worked for maintaining sobriety. Clients repeatedly characterized their Endeavor House experience as life-saving.

Feedback from friends and family was even more consistently positive. Just one of six loved ones who submitted reviews to Rehabs.com would not recommend Endeavor House North to others. Three of the five favorable reviews noted the facility's cleanliness. Arthur praised the family program, describing it as "comprehensive" and educational. Three individuals polled on the staff's level of training and experience granted three, four, and five stars, respectively. Overall, loved ones represented the facility as helpful and professional.

The one former employee review on Rehabs.com was highly critical of the facility's physical environment.

More than two dozen accepted insurance plans are listed on the Endeavor House website. A financial coordinator is available to help clients arrange for coverage or private pay.

Published on December 2017

NMR

My son was there for 28 days, well, actually 30 and neither I or my son have any complaints. They gave my son the tools he needed to cope and helped him find an Oxford house to live in. They were very professional.

The population of the treatment house was much younger, had heroin addiction issues and were disrespectful to other residents and counselors. I would have tried to keep the recovering alcoholics, who tended to be older, together. I also would have preferred more AA meetings than NA meetings.

F P

It worked for me. This June 23 will be 5 years I'm clean & 5 years since I left this facility. So maybe some of the strictness paid off. Very strict with smoking & I was bored a lot of the time. Not allowed outside. The brought it meetings at night (Na, as, & ca). These were very helpful while on treatment to see ppl that had been where I was n were now living normal productive lives. They also had groups & councelling & meetings all day long

Deana

Great counseling Great speakers. Take patients to outside meetings, Has outdoor activities. Great family counseling and participation, detox is in a different place then rehab. This facility saved my sons life. They have great communication and keep you informed. They keep the patient interested in recovery. They work with insurance to get the patient the longest time possible. They have 3 stages a detox a rehab then a recovery center.

Good doctors, caring. Needs personalized treatment. Endeavor House is truly a world-class program. I checked in to the program broken and was given all the tools I needed to recreate my life. I had been to multiple treatment centers and was unable to stay sober until I went through the Endeavor House. I would recommend them to anyone struggling with a substance abuse problem.

Clean and effective but expensive. good place to get clean

Kathleen

I spoke to a woman staff member and she gave me the billing department number .I called spoke to a male staff member and you owe me $2,185.40 since October 2015. I am paying hefty charge card interests and NO ONE AT ENDEAVOR HOUSE WANTS TO PAY ME BACK MY MONEY!!!!!You Were Quick to charge my account but now are caring me a hardship in payments!!!!!!I 5 Months you have my money!!!!

Tom

Attended Endeavor House twice, second time not by my choosing. First off, the detox program is miserable, you are stuck inside a virtual hospital and not allowed outside a lot to see the sun and get fresh air beside 3 smoke breaks. The staff there seem to care but are not competent or very knowledgeable on facts other than the ones that Endeavor House wants them teaching, basically anything that is out of their program, they do not agree with and will try to silence anyone talking about it, example: they allow people to take suboxone, but do not really a agree with people taking that or methadone because they\'re view is that it is not being \"truly\" clean when in reality they aren\'t using heroin or opiates and they\'re lives are getting better. Also, there is a lot and I mean ALOT of drama there, more than any other program I\'ve been to. The reason for this being is because the staff take part in the drama since the majority of them are ex addicts and do not stem the drama when it happens. Bottom line, the whole program can and should be run better.

Elizabeth

Bad experience. Individual counselor spread false rumor which resulted in my not being accepted to my aftercare program. severely depressed, I had thoughts of suicide, but pulled myself together with help from others.

Chris

I entered here at the lowest possible time in my life .I was older the most of the folks here an still was treated as I had little or no say in my plan for recovery . After doing my detox as I had signed in for I was told that I needed to stay for a few more weeks . When I said I had a family an job to get back to I was escorted out side early on a cold feburary morning an told goodby. How you can take someone that has just gone through detox an remove all their remaining dignity by putting them out I will never understand , in retrospect it has drivin me to stay sober for the past six years so for that , thank you for you compassion in a trying time ...not

Minnie

It was an excellent experience at a Endeavor House and I’ve benefited greatly from my time at Endeavor House. The staff are amazing people and I can’t thank them enough.

Arthur

Excellent Family Dynamic – The extraordinary staff at Endeavor House produces a weekly family session that is the most comprehensive and quality educational program regarding addiction we have ever experienced. After years of confusion and some seriously bad advice from other professionals, we have chosen to follow the guidance of Endeavor House.

Retta

I worked here...the place is a joke....I couldn\'t use the bathroom at work...it was so dirty..the cleaning staff do NOTHING ALL DAY!, I left after 3 months last year

Mary

What a great place to be if you are an addict. Hey, they don\'t tolerate drug use at Endeavor House and yes they do kick out those who try to sneak in some because there are other patients who do wanna make it. And the money I spent to use and abuse drugs does not come close to what the cost was for me to get sober. And I have to say that coming to Endeavor House was a life changing experience. I had been to couple other \"fancy\" rehabs before and they just didn\'t work for me. I won\'t say anything bad about them...maybe I wasn\'t ready. But what I will say is that I never had such comfortable detox like at Endeavor House. Their program worked for me and now I\'m taking one day at a time. Thank you

Ken

I don\'t know where to start, but I will give the honest truth of my experiences at this establishment. I will first tell you the nice things about the place. One counselor was a great help. She was very kind and attentive. Another staff member was also as nice. There are many staff members that were rude and unhelpful. I had a very negative experience with a staff member. She is a wolf in sheep\'s clothing. I had to call my mother to tell her I had fractured my foot and comment on how I was doing. I told the staff member I was going to tell my mom about my foot. She told me I had only 3 minutes to talk to my mother, while another lady got to talk to her family for 20 minutes! Well when I called my mom I told her that I wanted to leave, that the staff was very rude and made me feel like I was in prison. This place has a horrible policy on being able to talk to family and friends on the phone. My counselor came off as very helpful. He was the one to convince me to stay. But he also has a attitude. If you are somebody that has minor issues this is not the place for you. The food quality was very poor. The food was burnt several times. They often ran out of drinks or food. Snack time they give you cereal. Can\'t they do a little better? When you were in your quarters they only offered water. They did have gatorade powder, but you would have to wait forever to get some. When recovering electrolytes are a key factor in the process. They should be re-trained. I had so much stress while I was there I would not recommend this place for most people. Look for other places, this place was too strict and made you uncomfortable. Other people agreed with me. Another issue was guys and girls could not ever sit with one another. How stupid is that! Well this is the honest truth. I would not send a loved one here unless they are tough enough to handle prison.

Angelina

My stay at Endeavor House rehab center was very nice. The staff is really professional. I like the location. It’s a very calm and peaceful place for recovery.

Howard

I’d like to thank physicians of Endeavor House rehab center. They’ve changed my life. Now I’ve been sober for 3 years. If I’m in trouble, I can always visit group therapies. One of the most important things is that I’ve met many people who are my best friends now.

Gladys

My relatives and friends didn’t trust me. I was wasting all the money on drugs. It was a real horrible place for everyone. Endeavor House rehab center helped me to overcome addiction. I’m really happy that I’ve met many people who have experienced similar difficulties. I’ve found many friends who support me. Now I know how to live without drugs.

Sung

My experience at Endeavor House has been great! The staff is very receptive to people’s needs and the groups offer great insight into the issues surrounding addiction and subsequent sobriety.

Isabel

I have felt really welcome here and the staff has been very understanding. The location of this place is beautiful! This has to be one of the best treatment facilities available, if not THE best!

cecil3e

They are warm, very intelligent, present, and compassionate. They are great listeners and have the ability to make you feel comfortable and safe to talk about things you typically would not. Recommended.

Liana3e

This has become a very special place in my heart. I have made many friends and hope to continue the road of recovery after I leave here.

banks65

I highly recommend anyone who is battling addiction to visit Endeavor House. I can’t say enough how much better my life is today.

jennifer2w

I spent many years wallowing in my addiction to alcohol. Buried in self-pity, defeated, and attempting to avoid reality at all costs. This separated me from friends, family, and God. I did not get sober my first try. I had the distinct privilege to attend one of the best rehab facilities in the country, however, I did not stay sober after the “best treatment” in the country. I entered broken and terrified, but I knew that I needed help to recapture my life. The staff was immediately helpful and compassionate. They understood my pain and could relate to my fears and struggles. I am almost two years sober now, and have had the opportunity to be present with my mother as she battles cancer. Believe me my mom is forever grateful to Endeavor House and the staff. They returned her son.

Kyle M.

I was truly amazed at how great this place was! I went into rehab totally scared, angry, and extremely worried. The center is nice, the food is pretty good, the staff is very nice and accommodating, and the classes/lectures are inspiring. This was truly the best experience of my life! From what I was expecting, this place was incredible! I met a lot of good people and made some good friends. It was hard for me to leave and I wouldn’t mind going back.

Amy C.

Once I contacted Endeavor House, they made me feel that I was coming to the right place. Endeavor House has given me a chance to heal.

Jolene B.

Endeavor House was a gift from God. I went to other treatment centers and I felt pushed against a wall. This place saved my life.

Wanda3e

This is my second treatment facility and hopefully my last. Endeavor House is an exceptional facility. I would highly recommend Endeavor House to anyone in need of help getting their life in balance.

Daniels

My experience at Endeavor House was excellent. I believe that I have the tools to stay sober. I know that Endeavor House has provided me with an excellent start to sobriety and a happy life.

Duncan

I was extremely nervous upon arriving at Endeavor House. Everyone made me feel welcome. I would recommend Endeavor House to anyone who wants to recover from their addictions.

james

I am very happy to be a customer of this great company. I highly recommend them.

CP

Never introduced the BIg Book or any other important info. No banners with the 12 steps or traditions. Need to separate children, teens and adults! No direct help/teachings for a specific addiction. I left with no coping skills whatsoever. Hardly a treatment facility, more like a playground. Staff was ineffective to control situations amongst the patients. Would NOT recommend this facility to anyone. Got my family to pay for two extra weeks when insurance stopped that we couldn't afford. Nobody listened to me when I told them that the additional two weeks was useless due to the lack of help but because I was unhealthy at the time, nobody listened! ...

rt

The food is disgusting. They are understaffed and the staff that is there seems miserable. You will rarely if ever see a clinician and you basically spend all day with an unlicensed residential aide. The facility is filthy and they cram all the patients in one room all day. Groups are not individualized and most of the time you end up just watching a movie. ... They do nothing to keep you safe.

Lee

Endeavor house was not a positive experience for my daughter. ...BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE DON'T GO HERE

Amy

FOUL. This place is filthy! The staff is degrading and disrespectful ...You are treated like trash...The beds, bathrooms, kitchen, and couches are filthy...You are trapped, scared, alone, and rarely speak to family. You are constantly monitored and truly treated like a prisoner.