Fairbanks in Indianapolis, IN

Stress Management/Life Skills development
Acupuncture Available
Recreational Therapy

ABOUT FAIRBANKS

Founded in 1945, nonprofit Fairbanks is one of the oldest independent alcohol and drug treatment centers in the United States. Today, the organization offers medical detox, residential care, and outpatient treatment for adults and adolescents, and is located adjacent to a hospital in suburban northeast Indianapolis.

Gender-separate extended residential care for adults is available at the nearby La Verna Lodge.

All treatment programs are based on the 12-Steps. The organization provides little further specific information about the content of its treatment programs, but alumni polled by Rehabs.com indicated that treatment included individual and group counseling and aftercare.

For adults and adolescents alike, Fairbanks offers medical detox and residential treatment with varying levels of medical monitoring. Outpatient programs include a partial hospitalization program (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (IOP). Within IOP programming, there’s a special provision for those who have struggled with repeated relapse. In addition, general outpatient services include a medication-assisted therapy (MAT) program that offers Suboxone and Naltrexone.

A sober-living program, which has a recommended minimum duration of nine weeks, offers job readiness programming, cooking classes, a food pantry, and transportation, plus access to healthcare resources.

There’s dedicated treatment at both inpatient and outpatient levels for young men aged 19 to 24.

According to the facility’s website, staff includes master’s level mental health counselors and addiction counselors, as well as a doctor of osteopathic medicine and a registered nurse. The 30 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it an average rating of 3.83 out of five stars.

The detox and residential rehab center offers simple shared bedrooms plus a chapel, a gym, and a small shop. Adolescents may attend Hope Academy, an accredited, tuition-free charter school that combines academics with substance abuse treatment. The 30 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s cleanliness and exercise/leisure offerings gave them 4.52 stars and 3.6 stars, respectively.

Fairbanks is a tobacco-free facility, but nicotine cessation classes are available.

Reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing were mixed, skewing positive. Of the 20 alumni asked whether they would recommend the facility, 14 would and six would not. In addition, 11 reviewers were polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics, and gave it average ratings of 4.2 stars, 3.45 stars, and 3.18 stars respectively for its family participation, holistic offerings, and counseling options.

The reviewers frequently praised the center’s staff, and expressed appreciation for the program in general: “Extraordinary experience with caring staff both professional and non professional. Organizational leadership also responsive to needs,” Kim wrote in a representative review, and an anonymous reviewer added: “Took a more holistic approach than I expected. Intro'd you to AA, but also explored other areas of depression and addiction sources.”

More than one reviewer described young or inexperienced counselors, or having personal difficulties with their counselor. “I was unfortunate in the counselor that I received... Others in my group asked to be transferred away from the counselor and I should've done the same,” one anonymous reviewer wrote. Several reviewers also noted that they felt the facility was more interested in money than in caring for them: “They sobered me up, but we're more interested in what my insurance would cover,” M.D. wrote in a representative review.

Reviews from loved ones were mixed. Of the 24 loved ones asked by Rehabs.com whether they would recommend the facility, 13 would, four would not, and seven remained neutral on the question. The 18 loved ones polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics gave it average ratings of 4.17 stars, 3.72 stars, and 3.11 stars respectively for its family participation, counseling options, and holistic offerings.

Like alumni, several loved ones claimed that the facility was more interested in money than in helping them. “They are not concerned with helping the patient or their families. Very sad excuse for a rehab program. Very shameful,” one anonymous reviewer wrote in a representative review. The center’s cost also received recurring criticism.

Numerous other reviewers offered praise, describing the staff as genuinely caring and commending the center’s family program. “The staff kept us informed of our loved one's progress and encouraged us to participate,” one reviewer wrote in a representative review.

According to its website, Fairbanks accepts insurance, and is in-network with some carriers. Self-payment is also accepted, and the facility offers financial assistance for qualifying clients, as well as having a relationship with medical loans company My Treatment Lender. Medicare is accepted for outpatient medication-assisted treatment, and rent at sober-living facilities costs $175/week. The 29 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s affordability gave it an average rating of 3.14 out of five stars.

Updated April 2017

Published on May 2017

They sobered me up, but we're more interested in what my insurance would cover. It's only counseling is AA meetings. If you're sick from withdrawal you aren't allowed to rest or recover. You MUST attend all meetings!! They go on all day. They put you in shared rooms with no privacy. The lack of rest is relentless, the AA meetings are relentless, I believe AA is helpful for many...but crammed down my throat was awful! That's the only counseling, relentless AA meetings. I guess it's the only scam in town...and it is a scam!! I know this honest review will never be posted!

Fairbanks is very focused on if your insurance will pay or if you will pay. They will have a financial counselor talk to you before you are admitted who will want a deposit of $500 to $2000 or more. The intake process takes many hours plan for at least 5 hours in intake and they may or may not agree to admit you even after they have received pre-cert from the insurance company does not mean they will admit you. They do not offer you any referrals to other places if they do not accept you and they do not follow up after discharge to see how you are doing. The intake process has changed very little in the last 15 years. Fairbanks is still stuck in the last century as far as treating addiction. Fairbanks is NOT a dual diagnosis treatment facility and does an injustice to those who have addiction by not offering mental health treatment. I don't know any addict who does not need addiction/mental health intervention and treatment. They could benefit by adding Smart Recovery to their program, provide longer detox (3-7 days is just not enough they don't try to push the insurance to pay for more days), add more affordable sober living, and keep opiate addicts/patients 9 days after detox so they do not leave the facility till they get the Vivitrol shot. Fairbanks is better then nothing since there are not a lot of options in this area. They know you are at their mercy when you are desperately seeking help. Fairbanks is a system failure. The people that work there seem good enough but are like drones controlled by years of doing the same thing but not asking why we do things the same way for the last 20 years. I doubt that they have a very good success rate because everyone knows that a 5 day detox equals about 5 minutes in the life of an addict. Fairbanks could be a real asset to the Indianapolis community by updating their treatment, focus on meeting the client where they are and care more about people getting help then making money off their misery.

Involved family members which was nice but there were questionable dual diagnosis treatment

So many things, Great caring and empathetic staff. Programs for several different addictions or needs, help for family, and outpatient assistance. They never really leave your side once you are a member of their family. Fairbanks is truly caring and with you one hundred percent of the way. They understand your addiction in every facet and have people to help work through every issue. They also have resources and places for the family to learn as well. Great facility with comforting rooms and calming spaces. I truly will always be grateful to Fairbanks for the inpatient and outpatient guidance tools and assistsance

Great at providing rewarding steps to healing in right manner Communication to family was nice. The cost could be better adjusted for someone who may not have insurance

treatment plan was good. great place and great staff

Great overall.

Took a more holistic approach than I expected. Intro'd you to AA, but also explored other areas of depression and addiction sources. None really It was the mental re-set I needed, but I don't think it's necessary to go back. AA is great for what I need, even when I relapse

the chief Doctor was great. not recovering people in leadership wouldn't recommend

Very caring staff Food rough Well taking care of facility in a very caring staff, The monitoring in the halfway house after you leave is excellent

Effectiveness and affordability were nice.

Different age programs. Involved staff. More holistic approach would be nice. I had a close family member that attended Fairbanks; it's been over two years and they are doing great.

Involved family was nice. Some outdated equipment I have positive feelings about Fairbanks.

I have had more than one family member in facility. From past experience I wish they could have afforded Harding in Ohio. Hard for outpatient follow. In the area there is not alot of choices it came highly rated.

treatment and cures for their patient...Just a great place that cares about their patients

Extremely supportive and taught me life skills

Sat in intake for two hours only to be sent away with a family member. Excuse was that they could not reach insurance company for authorization but we were welcome to take our obviously struggling son home and come back in the morning. More focused on securing payment than providing necessary emergency care. Staff also speaks well but is very unresponsive if you have a problem. Seems more like a treatment "mill" rather than a rehab center focused on results.

Sent away after driving 2 hrs to get there..said to come back next day...REALLY. …an addict might not have tomorrow! !!!.….now it's said it will only be a 7 day stay because of insurance..7 days?..money thing?..insurance they say... HMM!!

Please do not send a loved one to this facility. Very unprofessional facility. Please don't waste your time.

This place is TERRIBLE only worried about their money! My son setting in front of them ready for treatment just released from hospital, have insurance, called the day before to make sure insurance was ok and length of treatment they thought. We gave permission for a nurse from Fairbanks to talk to other hospital so arrangements could be made on type of care before we arrived! You would think that a professional facility would be able to run an admittance smoother--my son ended up walking out and honestly I don't blame him. As I sit here tonight writing this thank God he still thinks he needs help and we are still looking but when I think of what could have happened it makes me sick!! Someone really needs to step in and learn how to run this facility or turn it in or something this was ridiculous and I hope and pray someone doesn't pay the ultimate price for their ignorance.

I felt that Fairbanks discriminates against HIV+ individuals who require opiate medications to manage side effects from anti-retroviral therapy.

Worst place ever! I asked for help..and they refused me..even though my insurance payed 100 percent of bill! They have their own special stipulations! Hate HATE this place!!!!

My husband and I deeply regret taking our son to Fairbanks Recovery Center, Indianapolis. Entire experience, other than admitting process, very poor. Our son's counseling was ineffective. He left angry and blamed us on his relapses to heroin addiction over the past 3+ years. We have done everything possible to support our son and encourage recovery. His counselor attributed his relapses to us watching over his financial expenditures and questioning him when money was missing. Our son left Fairbanks angry and said living with us is an unhealthy environment. Our son seemed to be an entirely different person. He had always said it wasn't our fault regarding his substance abuse, that he knew we loved him and supported him, and that he could never ask for better parents. Our son ended up on the streets of Indianapolis for 5 days - we live over 100 miles away and had no idea who he was with or where he was. This was the first, and I pray the last, time anything like this had ever happened. After 5 days he returned home in the throes of addiction. Our son had injected heroin in the past. Over those 5 days on the streets, he started injecting cocaine and heroin. He was only functional when high and out of control when the heroin wore off. We tried to have him hospitalized and even asked the police for help. After 3 days of this, we were able to get him into a treatment facility. Please pray for our son and our entire family. My prayers go out to all persons suffering from addiction and their families. Never, ever take a loved one to Fairbanks.

Personal, caring. No inpatient treatment. Had no problems with withdrawals, heroin.

The counselors are amazing, they offer sober living apartments, and have lots of treatment time from detox to recovery management. Need better drug testing....many experience thc levels that fluctuate and give false positives. They are implementing a new system soon so hopefully that will work better. I would recommend it to anyone. Th eery make detox do able. I didn't know how to come back this time. If it weren't for fairbanks I wouldn't be alive or have my kids back.

Nice people; however, didn't enjoy the lockdown.

Knowledge was a strength of the facility. However, the speed of entry was a downfall. So far so good, stepson has stayed on the straight and narrow since leaving.

their staff was excellent. the program was outstanding.

Caring staff, attention to individual patient. At times they seemed understaffed. Attention to individuals needs was excellent. The staff kept us informed of our loved one's progress and encouraged us to participate.

Its reputation was good, but it was costly. They treat you with dignity.

left treatment and didn't have faith in programs to help on the out.

No aftercare put in place. If you can't pay you can't get it. Staff seemed very disorganized. I asked the same questions of various levels and never received concrete answers.

This place absolutely sucks. ... I felt like they just wanted to make more money off of me. Would NOT recommend. Staff was young and uneducated in the field. Way too expensive, not worth it at all. I would go somewhere much better if I had the choice.

This place is all about the money. Way too expensive!! I was actually in Fairbanks and I hated it. When I was first put in, everyone was polite and nice and nobody really argued, but by the end everyone was fighting on a regular basis. ... Activities are horrible!!! The AGS just pick out random little projects for you to do and most of them got repeated a bunch of times. All you do is just sit in group therapy. While I was there my first week one counselor was gone on vacation and on my second week the other one was on vacation too. You will barely see your counselor. Only in group therapy and if something happens with your drug tests ... You get energy release for a short amount of time. It sucks because you really only get to play volley ball or basketball with the maybe one-quarter of people in your group who participate. Meditation is complete bull. You can choose to do acupuncture, but the lady only comes like once a week. The best part of your day is the food. The dietitian will work with your diet if you're vegetarian or anything like that, but it took me a week of being there to finally get on a schedule, and sometimes the cooks forget to make it and they just tell you to suck it up and get a salad. But the food is pretty good. They serve fish way too much though. The night nurse in my unit would slam our doors and go out on the back patio to smoke a lot, which I'm pretty sure isn't allowed... All in all, this place is hell. I'm out now and I took absolutely nothing from there besides "don't stick a needle in your arm" because then you're basically doomed for eternity.

It was clean and organized. However, it was too expensive for the results my family member experienced. There should be a scholarship program for people who either don't have insurance or need to stay in the long-term treatment center due to numerous relapses. We lost our home because my ex-husband's insurance would not pay for long-term treatment and we had to pay 100% out of pocket and he still relapsed again.

This center encouraged family members to get involved in the patients' treatment, which was beneficial to my family member's success. The counselors genuinely seem to care about the patients' well-being. It was unclear whether the treatment was covered by insurance or not. Often my family member was told a day late that a day of treatment wasn't covered by insurance.

Good staff and good treatment center. However, I would have like if it was Christ centered.

The inpatient facility was wonderful. I felt my daughter got excellent help. Lots of options. I think that their Sober Living program needs an overhaul. The clients need to be more closely monitored. There needs to be a trained professional in each unit. There was some inappropriate concerning activity going on in the facility. However, the inpatient facilities were wonderful.

You receive close personal attention. I felt welcomed there and they gave me great support. However, it was expensive.

Very well organized. Great staff. They keep you comfortable during the detox process. If you follow the schedule everyday, it is a great place to go to get started on your path to recovery. Remember that you have to make the decision and commitment. It is non-smoking.

They offer detox and treatment. There was not enough family involvement. They need more follow-up treatment and dual-diagnosis treatment.

Good group counselors. They got me sober.

It was an overall great facility.

I have been sober 1 day at time for almost 3650 days.

I went to get help and they told me their recommendation was hospitalization. I could not do that because my family could not live without my income. The horrible counselor I had said too bad, we can't help you. What kind of place offers nothing else? This is a terrible place. And I have full coverage insurance, so would not be money lost for them. They just don't care.

Very satisfied for the price. The treatment I received was more than I expected going in. A lot of one on one... I felt the staff actually take care in each patient. The staff was very caring, compassionate, and non-judgmental. It is on each individual and how bad they want it. No one can do it for them. The program works, if you work it.

Very very poor counselors. They are young and very entitled. My counselor took great pride in the fact that his patients averaged 8.2 days in treatment. I was told my stay would be three to six days when I decided to check myself in. He was determined to keep me there for at least eight. He was young but took great pride in letting us alcoholics know what a mess we've made. I think Fairbanks is a good place but I've heard that this current group of counselors is making a positive experience difficult to receive. Maybe that's why they had so few patients.

I was unfortunate in the counselor that I received. Also, the doctors made several errors in dosages in my case. Others in my group asked to be transferred away from the counselor and I should've done the same. When I was not satisfied with my care I decided to leave after three days of treatment, which my wife and and I both decided was best, but when my counselor caught wind of this he called my wife while she was at work making her very upset. This is highly unacceptable. I would recommend Fairbanks, but I just happened to have a negative experience.

Recovery is an inside job. Only if the individual is willing and ready to be honest can recovery be achieved. I feel the tools and groups that I attended were a strong foundation in beginning my recovery. The education I received about my disease and the introduction to recovery was essential.It started me on the road to sobriety.

A strength was the 12 step program.

My daughter was more than cooperative but I felt that they just didn't give her enough attention. Was not pleased with the workers or the cost.

Was okay.

They are not concerned with helping the patient or their families. Very sad excuse for a rehab program. Very shameful. The treatment of patients and families was horrible.

I felt it was fair in the price and the staff appeared to know their stuff. I felt other things was going on that prevented our son from getting the appropriate help at that time. His mental status had went haywire and he did not understand what was going on at the time.

They offer affordable payment plans and will work with you. They are very caring and helped me to turn my life around.

I've been clean and sober for over 2 years. It has great relapse prevention.

Too expensive.

good AA support

Staff not always qualified in addictions and allowed certain people to take over family sessions.

Our child is still using.

It has great relapse prevention. It works if you work it. I've been clean and sober for over 2 years.

Indiana Center for Recovery