Fellowship Hall in Greensboro, NC

5140 Dunstan Road
Greensboro NC 27405

Fellowship Hall Philosophy

Located in a serene and tranquil setting in Greensboro, North Carolina, Fellowship Hall is an alcohol and drug addiction treatment center based on the 12-Step model of recovery. Compassionate, cost-effective care is coupled with individualized treatment plans to give each client the opportunity to create a program of recovery that’s sustainable and fulfilling. The facility offers a wide range of services, including inpatient detoxification and rehabilitation, residential treatment, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, family programming, extended treatment and transitional living.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Extended Treatment

Primary Program

Family Program

Mike Yow

Interim President

Mike Yow began his career in substance abuse treatment in 1988 at the Crawford Center in Greensboro, NC. Mike brings a broad range of experience in inpatient, outpatient, and extended treatment services. He has been certified by the North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board since 1993 and licensed since 1998. He holds a BA from Greensboro College and a Masters from UNC Greensboro. Mike joined Fellowship Hall in 1993 and has served as Assistant Clinical Director since 2001. He helped implement Fellowship Hall’s Extended Treatment Program in 2011 and has facilitated the program for the past 5 years.

Mike Washo, MD

Medical Director

Dr. Washo arrived as Medical Director at Fellowship Hall from RJ Blackley Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Center in Butner, NC, where he served as staff psychiatrist.

He holds a Bachelor’s Degree from Duke University and completed medical school at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and holds a second Board Certification from the American Board of Addiction Medicine. Through Fellowship Hall’s teaching relationship with Duke University School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry, Dr. Washo was no stranger to Fellowship Hall as he completed a clinical rotation here in the mid-2000s as part of his psychiatric residency at Duke.

ABOUT FELLOWSHIP HALL

Located on 120 acres of land northeast of Greensboro, N.C., Fellowship Hall is a private, not-for-profit treatment center for individuals struggling with addiction to drugs and alcohol. The center provides detox, residential, and outpatient services, and on-campus sober-living facilities. The facility can accommodate and treat individuals struggling with co-occurring depression and anxiety, but will help to find a more appropriate facility for individuals whose psychiatric disorders are likely to interfere with their ability to complete a Fellowship Hall rehab program.

Treatment at Fellowship Hall is based on the 12-Steps, and aims for abstinence, according to the facility's website.

Upon admission, new clients are assessed by the medical team, to establish individual needs. Detox typically lasts between one and five days, and is an integrated initial step in longer-term treatment.

Residential treatment is gender-separate and typically lasts three to four weeks. The program includes individual counseling sessions at least twice a week, group therapy, psycho-educational lectures, and sessions on building the necessary skills for long-term recovery. Additional, holistic offerings include recreational therapy and yoga classes. Therapeutic practices are trauma-informed, including eye movement desensitization and reprocessing, and a grief group is available. Families are encouraged to attend a four-day family program.

Additional dedicated treatment tracks are offered for licensed professionals as well as young adults.

Clients needing longer-term care can participate in the rehab center's extended-treatment program for up to ten additional weeks. Outpatient options include an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that meets for nine hours a week in the daytime or evening.

Fellowship Hall treatment staff members includes board-certified psychiatrists, nurses, licensed clinical social workers, and addiction counselors. The medical director is board certified in psychiatry and addiction medicine, and Duke University psychiatric residents also contribute on treatment teams. According to information provided to Rehabs.com by the facility, Fellowship Hall maintains a 2:1 staff-to-client ratio.

Fellowship Hall is a 96-bed facility, with 24 of those beds in a newly constructed lodge specifically for women. The main building is a traditional Southern-style mansion, by a lake, woodlands, and 12 manicured gardens, each corresponding to a step in recovery. The center also has a basketball court and a fitness room.

At the time of this writing, 21 former clients had provided overwhelmingly positive feedback for Fellowship Hall to Rehabs.com. Just three indicated that treatment was not at all or moderately effective. Although five alumni reported relapsing briefly within a year of treatment, the average rating for treatment effectiveness from 18 individuals polled was 4.3 out of five stars.

Data collected by Rehabs.com from 15 alumni polled extensively on treatment and accommodations reflected strong respect for the staff's level of training and experience (with a 4.4-star rating), and common perceptions of a program limited in therapeutic flexibility. Alumni awarded 3.5 stars for holistic offerings but just 2.3 stars from the six asked to rate available options in counseling approaches.

Alumni repeatedly described the staff as kind and caring, and were comforted that several staff members were in recovery themselves. The main source of contention was the facility's reliance on 12-step programming: while some alumni pinpointed the program as the source of their sobriety, others felt restricted by the lack of alternatives: “Only had 12-step programs that do not work for everyone and it was very old fashioned,” B.S.M. wrote in a representative review.

More than twice as many reviewers specifically indicated that their experience was worth the cost despite its expense, compared with those who indicated that it was not worth it. "It was alot of money [...] but I did learn alot," one wrote. Another emphasized the value of the extended care program, but reported ongoing issues with billing.

Some also praised the physical facility, in particular the meditation and walking trails. Ratings for meals, nutrition, and the facility's cleanliness and upkeep averaged 4.4 stars each, from 15 contributors. Opportunities for exercise and leisure fared just slightly less favorably, with 3.9 stars. One alum described Fellowship Hall as "secluded" and "peaceful," while another wrote that it "appears as a retirement home might."

Of 17 reviews from loved ones, 71 percent were positive, about one-quarter were critical, and one was mixed. An average rating of 4.4 stars for treatment effectiveness did not reflect the critical perspectives of three loved ones who declined to provide ratings.

Five reviewers explicitly cited the cost of treatment as a weakness. In a representative review, one parent wrote that the cost of treatment "was pretty high but January will be two years she has been clean so I guess it was worth it." Numerous reviewers also praised the center for the way it involved families in treatment, rating family participation 4.7 stars, based on 10 reviews. The same poll respondents agreed with alumni that holistic offerings were less impressive (3.4-star average), but the facility was clean (4.8 stars).

Treatment costs $18,000 per month and $34,500 for 90 days, according to information provided to Rehabs.com by Fellowship Hall staff. The facility accepts private insurance on an out-of-network basis, and has a relationship with third-party medical loans company My Treatment Lender.

Published on January 2018

Ed

Having arrived at Fellowship Hall not knowing what to expect, I was warmly greeted by compassionate, caring staff , many of whom are in recovery themselves. The program works for those who truly commit to living clean and sober and work the program. If you put in the work assigned by the counselors, an amazing thing begins to happen, true recovery. I will always be thankful for the gift I received at Fellowship Hall, a life of sobriety filled with joy and hope.

SML

We have private insurance, but this facility refused to work with us without $15-18K upfront. This is not what their website implies at all.

AC

The only reason I don't give five stars for treatment effectiveness and facilities is because we all have and will continue to have room for growth. Having said that, I can honestly say that it is my belief that Fellowship Hall saved my life. I had no idea what I was walking into when I arrived. But the intake specialist and counselor on duty (who actually ended up being my primary counselor) made me feel as calm and welcome as possible, considering my very high state of anxiety. The first few nights, when I sat up shaking and sobbing from withdrawal and fear, would have been unbearable if it wasn't for the nurses, who literally held and rubbed my hands and talked to and calmed me for what seemed like hours. It seems everyone who works here is in recovery which is inspiring! I never once felt unsafe or disregarded. Their classes and small therapy groups combined with personal counseling helped me tremendously. These therapies are the star of the program! You will get out what you put in. No, it's not always "fair," and not EVERYONE will be nice to you all the time. But that's life. They will not enable you, and I personally needed that bit of tough love. Great discharge programs. Delicious hot food and wonderful salad bar! Clean facilities. The women's lodge is amazing. Come open minded and you will leave with a fully loaded tool box. Forever grateful to FH.

Chanda McGuffin

My father came to fellowship hall many years ago, probably has been almost 40 years ago. However, our family remains forever indebted to Fellowship Hall. He learned to cope with his issues without alcohol or any substance abuse. When he passed away in 2004, My father had been sober for 25 years. He gave his life to help the next alcoholic. He spent almost everyday in a meeting somewhere. I thank God for Fellowship Hall. When he came there He was "D.R." When he left he was my father, Charles McGuffin. I'm glad to see you still exist and have expanded. Keep doing what you're doing.

SLN

I was in the inpatient program at Fellowship Hall in 2014. After hitting my rock bottom, an angel of mercy at my employer gave me no choice and sent me to where my life would change forever. The day I drove through those gates, I surrendered. Over the course of 26 days, I want to daily classes and learned about drug and alcohol addiction. I went to grief counseling, which helped me so much in dealing some unresolved issues of my past. I had group counseling and individual counseling. I also attended nightly NA/AA meetings. I also had my free time to meditate and spend time with the other guests and talk about our experiences. Fellowship Hall saved my life. I am still in recovery and intend to stay this way forever.

CG

12- Step approach, butlimited to 12-StepThe staff were very kind, the facility appears as a retirement home might, it was primarily 12-step focused, there weren't many alternatives offered outside of the 12-step approach to recovery.

DH

Very nice facility. However will only be effective if and only if the participant is 100% committed to wanting help. Cannot work if it is the parent ' s goal. Sadly Fellowship was a fail for my son.

Susan

I was at Fellowship Hall back in 2005. They are spot on knowing how to help people get clean and sober and with the tools to continue to stay that way. Over the years they have only been getting better and better in how they can help people. Most of the people on staff are in recovery so they know exactly what each resident is going through. I owe my life today to them.

LCL

Don\'t hang your hope here. Beautiful facility. However, they do not work well with families and things go on there which are never made clear to the family. They get their money first and then things can go south really quick. Two family members have been here and both have not done well after their treatment. Do not trust their techniques and especially not one of their counselors.

P

I had a good experience at Fellowship Hall and found great benefits from the program. I was there 28 days. Finances were a huge concern for me and my family, but the staff worked with me and my insurance company prior to my arrival to make sure that we understood the cost and what would be covered. We paid in full up front with the understanding that my therapeutic team would give regular updates to the insurance company who would in-turn continue or cancel my coverage at Fellowship. I was lucky to have been approved for a total of 26 days by my insurance company and then scholarshipped the final two days. The experience was incredible and although it put a financial strain on me and my family, we made it work. Fast forward 9 months, I received a letter in the mail from Fellowship that stated I had an account balance of several thousand dollars. Confused, I called to inquire about how I could have a balance and I was told that my insurance company made a mistake and that I now owed a substantial amount of money. When I asked about the documents I signed during my \'check-out\' that showed the amount I owed (which was $459), the lady on the phone said \"that document states that it\'s just an estimate\". She was rude, cold and condescending. She told me to write a letter to the CEO. Today I received a second collection letter from Fellowship, only the second time I\'ve ever been notified about the balance. The letter was aggressive and

Britt

This is a very strange place... I would not recommend this place to any one.

CG

My son just completed his 28 day treatment at FH. He will stay for 60 more days in a house on-site. This place is phenomenal. The staff is incredible. They care about their guests. They get one-on-one counseling that is invaluable. The guests all respect and care about each other. The family program is extremely helpful in teaching families about addiction and recover. I would highly recommend this place. It has changed our lives for the better.

Patricia

I attended the Extended inpatient Program. The counseling helped me face a new life in recovery. I highly recommend Extended Care. I did not meet one employee at FH who wasn\'t qualified and encouraging. It was reassuring to leave Extended with the tools to readjust and remain sober. The family was excellent and helped my family so much. Extended was critical for my recovery. Thanks to all!!

Discharge/aftercare is not what it could be. Fellowship Hall is an excellent facility with many caring staff members. The people and the facility really made this place great.

MM

The first week my loved one was there was great. They push the family program and it is expensive. The beautiful walking trails seemed to always be closed because residents would smoke. After going to the family program, I realized there was a lot of drama between residents and even staff. I wasn\'t thrilled with the family counseling as I felt my loved one was having a bad day and he was told he had already relapsed in his mind and for him to go write his obituary. Food was ok

RBW

I feel as if at the extended care, spouses should be more involved, based on what i see maritial issues are discussed a lot, and the sides of both parties are not taken in to consideration

Sandy

It's staff and location were great. Located just outside of a larger city, Fellowship Hall is secluded, peaceful, and offers a life-changing experience. All you need is a desire to quit using and Fellowship Hall takes over. I wouldn't trade my experience there for the world! I'm now sober 10 years!

Very encouraging, and attentive. Amazing, loved it.

They seem to care alot about you. Need more spetialist in some areas. They really help u with your rehab care about u as a person. Work with you closely.

ME

FELLOWSHIP HALL is a great place. It gave my loved one a new life. Any age group can be successful there, but if you aren\'t willing to work hard and abide by the rules, forget it.. forget any sobriety program.. Parents, Spouses, don\'t force your love one to go, it won\'t work.. The Family Support Program that is offered is a MUST,, best education I have ever gotten about Addiction. If your love one is not ready, forget sending them, they will leave, and you have wasted your time.. You can\'t make the Alcoholic or Addict stop using, only they can. 12 Step Works if you work it, if you aren\'t willing they no it won\'t work.. 12 Steps is not a Religious Program even though some think it is, however it may lead a person to choose a spiritual path, and if the path means sobriety then wonderful. If you are a family member, or loved one of a addict or alcoholic, I encourage you to get into RECOVERY yourself, find a Al ANON meeting or NAR ANON meeting, you will be amazed the difference these meetings will make in your life..

elle

Fellowship Hall is a cross between kindergarden and prison. An iill person is not in need of toilet cleaning and punishment for conversations with members of the opposite sex. The focus should be on getting us well and it was not

BSM

Most counselors were recovering addicts. It was expensive, only had 12-step programs that do not work for everyone and it was very old fashioned.

Jonathon

I asked to use my cell phone to call my mother. They were trying to sell here a costly family program. The conflicts of interest with two staff is staggering. I left feeling worse. However, the food was good.

SJ

Most of the employees are in recovery. Fellowship Hall saved my life. Any amount would have been worth it. I was at the end, bankrupt spiritually, emotionally and physically. Had I not gone I would have died. Recommended an out patient counselor and also made contact with a "temporary" AA sponsor before I left the facility for my aftercare. The treatment there is professional and caring. The goal of helping you become and stay clean and/or sober were met with me. And if I can do it, trust me, anyone can do it. It far exceeded my expectations. They also offer some scholarships. Fellowship Hall and it's staff create a strong recovery atmosphere. The tools that you need for recovery are explained and laid at your feet. With the encouragement of the ENTIRE staff from the CEO down to the maintenance workers I was able to pick up those tools and am now living a sober life happy, joyous and free!

KA

I was not able to come home to a strong IOP in my county. There was no female meetings. I had to eventually find a female sponsor on my own, start a women's meeting myself, but still have to drive across 2 counties to get to an IOP. I relapsed after 3 months but resumed sobriety immediately!

AWC

They saved my life. As a whole, the program can save your life if you accept and work it. I was at my rock bottom in my life at the time. I was reminded of my self-worth by the wonderful staff and the fellowship is beyond anything I'd ever imagine. They save lives there with the comprehensive programs offered to all. I made lifelong friends there that I cherish everyday of my life. I was given a second chance to get back to who I really want to be. It can work for anyone with the disease of addiction. You can't do it alone and there you don't have to ! I recommend this heavenly place to anyone and everyone suffering with addiction.

It is a wonderful facility if you can afford it; the price is very high. The staff is wonderful.

AJT

The staff was a strength of the facility.

anonymous

I liked that the family was involved in the recovery process. Family members need treatment too.

anonymous

Met the needs of the entire family not just the client (patient). Great facility.

anonymous

The experience for our family was very good there the only complaint was it's very expensive and insurance paid for very little

VD

saved my life.

anonymous

Good experience with family counseling.

CWK

This facility is fantastic and will work for anyone that truly wants to be healed. Family counseling for week - very important.

ST

Fellowship Hall offers a Family Week that was highly recommended. We participated in this week and were very glad we did! It gave us an opportunity to learn more about alcoholism from a parent's perspective.

I learned alot

Greg

Super staff.

Wendy

This facility was very nice, rooms clean and staff was great. There is also a family program for the family members of addicts. I liked that some of the counselors are recovering addicts it provided me with hope that I could stay clean. The program taught me a lot about what the disease of addiction, how it affects your brain, and how an addicts brain is different(our thinking, thought process). The program is 12 step focused so some of the the groups were AA and NA based and talked about the steps.group, We also attended AA & NA speaker meetings in the area. I also participated in a grief group that helped me start the healing process of losing loved ones. I also learned about codependency and worked on that with my individual counselor along with my steps. I also did my 4th step with a person from NA. One of the best things is the mediation/ walking trails that you could walk spend time on during free time. I really learned about myself and my addiction while I was here. This was my first in patient facility and believe that it was where I truly realized that I was an addict and that there was hope for me.

Darren

Recommitted myself to my program and have been clean ever since.