Freedom Farm Ministries in Boone, NC

P O Box 153
Boone NC 28607

Freedom Farm Ministries Philosophy

The mission of Freedom Farm Ministries is to offer restoration through the transforming power of Jesus Christ to men who are broken by substance addiction.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

No waiting list. Upon Acceptance, men can enter the Safe House immediately.

Year-long, in-residence program with 3 phases: Safe House, Restoration & Discipleship Living Center

Men will typically be in the Safe House for 45-90 days before moving on to the Restoration phase.

Jim Quigley

Executive Director

Jim is an ordained minister with the Christian Missionary Alliance. He was saved from the grips of drug addiction himself and has over a decade of addiction recovery experience.

Mike Register

Assistant Director

After struggling with addiction and unsuccessful addiction recovery programs, Mike found Christ and freedom from addiction through Freedom Farm and has been on staff for about 4 years.

ABOUT FREEDOM FARM MINISTRIES

Founded in 2006 by a husband and wife team, Freedom Farm Ministries provides residential treatment for adult men struggling with substance abuse. Set in Boone, N.C., the nonprofit organization utilizes a heavily faith-based approach to inform its long-term program, which consists of three distinct phases: the Safe House, the Christian Recovery Center, and the Discipleship Living Center. Detox is not provided on-site. The facility is one of the 16% of facilities in N.C. to offer long-term residential care.

Before being accepted to the program, clients must complete an application process and participate in an interview. Once accepted, clients begin their stay in the Safe House, a temporary residence designed to prepare individuals for the next phase of treatment. Most men spend 45 to 90 days in this phase, participating in daily bible study, fellowship activities, and weekly individual counseling sessions.

Once they are deemed ready, clients progress to the Restoration House, which provides an intensive, 40-day program consisting of biblical studies, individual counseling, and faith-based homework. Men in this phase are expected to move on to the Discipleship Living Center, a program that usually lasts six to eight months, that includes biblical teachings and individual counseling, but also guidance on employment and money management.

Freedom Farm Ministries’ programs are facilitated by spiritual counselors and administrative staff. The facility offers a 1:6 staff-to-client ratio.

Set on a rural 36 acre farm, the facility’s multiple residences can house up to 18 men at a time. Each home is flanked by mountains and surrounded by acres of untouched, rural space. The center’s shared residences have a rustic, cabin-like quality, and the residents are expected to maintain their living spaces and participate in the upkeep of the facility. Meals and transportation to work, including access to vehicles for individuals with driver’s licenses, are provided.

To date, alumni response of the program have been mixed. Of the 17 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com, 12 shared positive experiences, and the other 5 alumni were emphatically displeased with the program. Alumni who were critical of the organization noted a lack of counseling and addiction education.

“This is not a rehab, this is a bible boot camp. All you do is study the bible and work for free… You will not learn one bit about how to live clean and sober,” P.J.W. wrote. S.R.H. also found counseling to be lacking, noting that it was “not worth the money.” Like the other surveyed alumni, C.M. felt that the program consisted of bible study and little else. He also commented on the “Very run Down” living conditions.

However, many surveyed alumni found the center’s programming to be effective. Most respondents highlighted the supportive staff and fellowship among peers as strengths of the facility. In a lengthy five- out of five stars review, R.W.H. highlighted the lasting friendships he made while at the facility.

And while others were frustrated with the heavily religious programming, multiple alumni found it helpful to their long-lasting sobriety. “I was able to replace my need for alcohol a with need for a loving Savior,” Bill wrote in a representative review.

On the facility's Facebook page, which the facility can manage, 57 individuals awarded the Freedom Farms a high average rating of 4.6 out of five stars. A vast majority of alumni attributed their sustained sobriety to the faith-based programming. "I will always be greatful of freedom farms for all they done for me .Forever Grateful Always," Darrell, a representative reviewer, wrote.

Reviews from the four loved ones polled by Rehabs.com were mixed, though some respondents were disappointed with the care their family members received. Angie took issue with the program’s lack of counseling and the employment of newly sober program graduates. “First there is no counseling, second they allow people that have been in the program for about 3 months to be in charge of the newcomers and obviously that does not work,” she wrote.

In response, the facility offered an official statement through Rehabs.com. ”For a parent to believe their child is not changing means coming face to face with more pain and disappointment so instead of accepting the truth they retreat to a state of denial.” This prompted two additional negative reviews from loved ones who expressed their disapproval of the center’s leadership. “It shows weakness and poor leadership. Instead of addressing the issues voiced you blame it on a parent!” Christy wrote in her one-star review.

One loved one did provide a mostly positive review, providing the program’s treatment effectiveness with four stars. “Staff was very supportive and they had great pricing. However, they need better exercise options,” D.M.W. wrote. Loved one reviews on Facebook also echoed alumni opinions, many of whom appreciated the faith-based approach. "This ministry has brought immeasurable joy and peace to me and my family," Debbie, a representative reviewer, wrote.

There is a $750 entry fee that covers the first five weeks at Freedom Farm. After the fifth week the facility charges a $150 weekly fee that covers programming, room, and board. Insurance is not accepted, and the center does not provide financial aid.

Published on June 2018

MK

I think every single person is touched either directly by addiction, or indirectly. We all feel the pain and sorrow it brings. We all have suffered in some way. But some of us are blessed when the story takes a turn like mine did. A few short years ago I sat next to my brother 3 separate times in the hospital as he struggled to survive his latest suicide attempt or drug overdose. He tried to get clean, but was too overwhelmed by the temptation. While in rehab in South Florida people would stand outside the wall around the facility and throw drugs over to the patients inside. How can anyone make it with drugs being served to them constantly. I called around to my family and friends and told them he needed to get out of Florida. I knew where his path would lead if he didn’t have a complete environmental change. A safe place to retreat. That’s when my cousin found Freedom Farm Ministries. I can honestly say having a place like Freedom Farm who made it so easy to get my brother in (all he had to do was apply himself) changed everything. So many commercial rehabs were dead ends. Freedom Farm is a safe haven for those who are ready to commit to the healing Christ can provide. That healing, like the pain I mentioned earlier, spreads across to the entire family. I look at where God has brought my brother today, and cry tears of joy. He is now the executive director of Freedom Farm. He is happily married and a father. I know not everyone’s story will have the same ending that goes to Freedom Farm Ministries, but I also know that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

VM

My son became a client. Having realized that I was “enabling” and not “helping” him (get free from his addiction) I tried “TOUGH LOVE!” (It was the hardest thing I ever did!) I thought I would lose him forever but it was my last resort. Having almost died several times, by God’s grace he was spared. I finally said “I love you but will no longer be there to save you”! That is when things started to change and a friend sent me info on FFM in Boone, NC. Thank God! HE HIT ROCK BOTTOM and that is when the journey began to freedom from addiction and a life of dependence on God. He was accepted into the program. His third rehab! Now some have said that the accommodations are not the best, but are crack houses, bars and being tied down in a hospital bed better? I think not!! Having no insurance meant beggars can’t be choosers and the price was manageable. And it was a Christian rehab! You couldn’t communicate for some time but he made it through the Safe House and on to Restoration and Recovery! FFM hasn’t gotten it right every time but who does? We all make mistakes and God loves us all the more!! The ministry has gone through changes but with the direction from a Board of Directors of men and women devoted to God and this ministry, it is fulfilling its goals. Men are surrendering to the Word of God and His promises and receiving grace, forgiveness and freedom from addiction. We are BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE and are praying for the growth of this needed ministry and those who have dedicated their hearts and lives to seeing men and their souls saved and free!! Joy is for those who seek it!!

JJ

Freedom Farm Ministry is such a godsend. It is offering hope to those that have lost theirs. Through a loving and disciplined environment, men are brought face to face with the true issue of substance abuse, sin. Then provided a thorough and comprehensive explanation of the Gospel, the only lasting cure. While not easy, Freedom Farm's one year program is designed to cultivate a need for Christ and provides an environment in which true lasting freedom is obtained through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Freedom Farm is a unique ministry that facilitates true change and hope for the future.

Jim M

I could never write enough.... or use language that is strong enough... by God's grace and mercy...Through Freedom Farm Ministries ... I'm ALIVE!!!! And not only alive. ... but THRIVING!!! I own a house again. I have a wife and a family again. People seek me out today to inquire about the CHANGE that has taken place in my life. 8 years ago I was hopelessly addicted...but today hallelujah I AM FREE!!

RB

This is not a place that teaches true doctrine of God. You are never free to disagree with a Jezebel Spirit. This is a business for profit, you need only compare the house to the rest of the houses to see the greed and materialism he manifests.Beware these ravenous wolves who clothe themselves as sheep. They promote Rick Warren and Billy Graham who are false prophets as well. Do your research and avoid this place and save your soul.

This review is factually inaccurate. First of all, Freedom Farm Ministries is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Secondly, none of our materials are taken from Rick Warren's or Billy Graham's materials or promote either man or their individual ministries. And third, the doctrine that Freedom Farm teaches is a Gospel-centered, Bible-focused convenental doctrine. It is a well-recognized Christian doctrine.

Thomas

Coming to Freedom farm has literally changed my life and in many ways saved my life ,my relationship with God is better than its ever been before .I cannot thank Freedom Farm enough for showing me what I was lacking in my life whoch was Jesus Christ , and He has restored relationships that I have destroyed ,and the brotherhood is like none other .

M

Freedom Farm provides a program that redirects self-destructing addiction to serving God and people. They teach the basics of service, humility, love, respect, patience, and strength. This program provides the atmosphere and tools to help those who stick with it to surrender themselves and their addiction to God and start living life with a purpose.

CTown

I came to Freedom Farm looking for a long term break from the chaos my life had become. My intention was to float through the program and just get by. That all changed when I started to realize the true meaning of the Gospel. Although I attended church most of my life, it only took a few weeks before I had a better understanding of what being a Christian really meant thanks to the way Freedom Farm staff presented the material. Slowly as my focus changed sobriety didn't seem unattainable anymore instead it was an after thought. I can honestly say I did not encounter one staff member whose was not dedicated to their mission. I am forever endebted to Jim and the whole team. I don't think any recovery program will ever be all sunshine and rainbows regardless of the cost, but I think it is rare to find people who genuinely care as much as these guys.

Corey

This program saved my life. If you are serious about getting help, and want to start learning what being a Christian means, this is great program. It isn't a perfect program, that doesn't exist. Especially if you have financial struggles with finding money for treatment, I don't know of anywhere else you can receive treatment for what FFM tuition costs. God bless anyone who reads this.

AS

Great experience. Freedom Farm's mission is to restore men that are broken by addiction and it works. Freedom Farm is not Passages Malibu. There are no fancy accommodations but I always had everything I needed. This is a Christian program, ran by Christian men who are motivated, capable and truly want to help other men break free from addiction.

Jamie

This place is a privilege! Keep that in mind. Give your life one year and see what happens!! This place takes broken men it's not to break men!

Laurin

I have thought long and hard about writing this review . I would never want to say or do anything to hurt a Christian ministry. Let me begin by saying my daughter Angie wrote a review and the director\'s reply prompted me writing. I don\'t agree with the way she stated her opinion but the things she said were true. My grandson went to FFM in August 2015. Freedom Farms is like anywhere else, it has pros and cons that you need to consider. It is a place for your loved one to get away from their current environment. That is a big thing . In order to get clean and begin healing , your loved one needs to get away from the friends and influences they currently have . They are Christian based and they attend a great church where people are friendly and make them feel welcome . They have Bible studies and I feel like it is their goal to introduce your loved one to the One that can release them from the bondage of drugs. One of the male staff members is a wonderful man who you will find very caring and helpful. There has never been a time I called him and he wasn\'t kind and gracious . There are many good things about Freedom Farms. My grandson is alive and drug free today because God used that place in his life . There are some things that I feel need to changed as well. Having a man over men that has been through the program can be a good thing if that man has been clean and established for a long length of time . Recent graduates have no business being in charge .He is very unprofessional and he shows a genuine lack of concern . Read his reply to Angie\'s comment and judge for yourself . How can he truly understand ? Unless you have had a child addicted to drugs you have no clue what we go through . We pray , we hope, we beg , we plead , we do anything to help them . We are very familiar with disappointment . We have lived with it for years. You know a little love goes a long way . You wrote this long reply and not once did you say I am praying for your son and although things didn\'t work out here , I wish him well . Not once ........ do you even care how he is ? I could go into other issues but I won\'t. At the end of the day it is God that I put my hope in and unlike you , He has never let me down .

Christy

In response to review given by Angie: That\'s a typical response and avoidance from answering the real questions. It\'s easy to place blame on others instead of accepting responsibility. However it shows weakness and poor leadership. Instead of addressing the issues voiced you blame it on a parent! Hopefully you will never be in that situation with your child one day. In the New Testement Jesus spent his time with sinners trying to witness and bring them to God. These men need the Lord. Accept responsibility and admit fault. Be an example. You have shown poor leadership skills on several occasions. When you have a concerned parent or family member text or call you and you never even respond is poor leadership. These men need help and need someone in their corner. In my opinion I had a wonderful experience with one of the male staff members he should run that place. He was always helpful and I know he loved my nephew. If you cared for him how come you have never even checked on him?? I guess when you kick them out you are done. I don\'t have that kind of heart thankfully.You do put people as leaders that shouldn\'t be and you need to accept that. Anyway my nephew is doing great thank God. But like you try to throw in to make yourself look Good God bless you and know that I did pray for your ministry.

SRH

all we did was go to church on sunday the rest of the time make money for the ministry. web site lies , they will say anything to get that money. I had a relationship with Jesus before hand if you don't and have never been to church this might be ok but still not worth the money.

This review has been written by an individual that was dismissed from the early stages of our program for insubordination. The truth is that our program fees cover only 48% of the cost we incur in order to serve a person here at FFM. It is absolutely true that during phase one men work 4 to 5 hours a day and we absolutely use those funds to help with the remaining 52% we need to keep the doors open. We are a 501c3 organization and our tax returns as well as annual budget are public record. It is also absolutely true that this individual was told they would be working before they even made the decision to come here. It is also true that this individual was also told the foundational teaching portion would come after a couple of months. In fact every person that going through the admissions process with us is told this. Our philosophy here at FFM is that a person needs at least a couple months clean time before they should attempt to sit in classes and learn life changing truths so we provide that opportunity by keeping the men busy with manual labor for the first couple months. I assure you the labor the men are asked to be involved in here is rarely anything that would be considered hard or difficult. If you are reading this and would like and honest description of how we operate here at FFM please do not hesitate to contact me. God bless!

DMW

Staff was very supportive and they had great pricing. However, they need better exercise options.

Angie

I took my son to Freedom Farms with such high hopes but this place is a joke. First there is no counseling, second they allow people that have been in the program for about 3 months to be in charge of the newcomers and obviously that does not work. No schedule just do what they want. I hate to say but I am not even convinced the guy running it is a Christian. [Updated 12/10/15] Just saw where my review was responded to. I would like to clear one thing up my son did not inform me of the things that happened. My information came from someone else. The other experience was first hand when I went to visit and saw that one of the guys that started with my son was now leading the safe house. I could go on and on but I will not. I do not feel it would benefit anyone at this point but to lie and put blame on others I had to respond to.

This is a very sad and misinformed review from a parent that still wishes to believe her sons report of his experience over myself and my staff. I truly understand the desire for a parent to believe their child is really doing well and being honest after years of disappointment and fear of more. For a parent to believe their child is not changing means coming face to face with more pain and disappointment so instead of accepting the truth they retreat to a state of denial. Parents in denial of their children's behavior is one of the biggest factors keeping young and old in their addictions and I hope they are able to wake up to this reality before it is to late. As far as my faith is concerned my life is devoted to Christ and doing my best to point people to Him through His gospel and I'm very confidant I'm a Christian. I take no offense at the accusation for I know it's just meant to be hurtful and it's only because they are scared of what might happen with their son. We at Freedom Farm work with broken men ready for change not men that need to be broken and unfortunately this individual fell into the latter category. Please feel free to contact me if you are reading this and have any further questions about what we do here at Freedom Farm and God bless.

RWH

Freedom Farm Ministries... Where do I start? I could write novels about my experience while I was there. But let\'s start at the beginning... I\'d like ya to please listen to me... Yes, YOU... reading this right now. I hope this ultimately reaches the heart of my unknown friend who bares the, oh so heavy weight of an addiction. If you\'re reading this and you aren\'t the addict... then you\'re a parent, relative, spouse, child, or good friend of the addict. Of all the possible roles listed above, all but one have something in common. All of you reading this deeply loves the person whose cross to carry in his life is the overwhelming burden of addiction... Am I right? Well... Guess what? He loves you too... Regardless of the creeks and rivers of life that carry people like myself, my friends, and your loved one to our addiction, they all lead to the same place. They all lead to one enormous dark black sea of despair. And of the millions and millions of people who have unfortunately completed the painful voyage to that sea..... Every single one of us feel as if we\'re all alone in our constant suffering. Our bad choices have led us to live a life based on a very well known statement...\" Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here\"... and that\'s precisely what we\'ve done. I was done with life... and I do mean DONE! I was finished . As the tears rolled down my sick face and onto my alcohol chapped lips I can remember like it was yesterday the taste of each one. I can remember each emotion that every warm tear carried as it fell from my chapped lips onto my cold shaking hands. Some were from sorrow, regret, and self pity. Others fell from the guilt, loneliness, anger, self loathing, and rage I felt... Yet, some were from a dark joy and relief I felt because I was ready to check out... for good. I felt the termination of my existence would be the best thing that could happen to me.... I had single handedly destroyed my marriage, my relationship with everyone, my relationship with God, as well as my kiddos (who I loved then and I love now more than anything.) I was a drunk, a horrible husband, and an all around bad person, but I will tell u this... The love I had and have for my children is second to none and I believe The Holy Spirit used that to keep me alive.... But, my wife had left and taken the kids with her (as she should\'ve) I was alone, serious about suicide, and ready.... I was finished.... Or was I? When ya get to the safehouse ask the guys there how they felt right before they made the call to ask for help...That awkward call to ask for acceptance into Freedom Farm and begin the long road to recovery. I was scared and nervous... that, and suffering from severe withdrawl symptoms. The moment I got the ok from the Farm I left my lonely home in Alabama and drove as fast as I could to Boone, NC. When I arrived at the safehouse I laughed and thought \"this isn\'t goina work\". What happened next I didn\'t expect... I walked in the door right after dinner and was greeted with a handshake that turned into a hug.... and it smelled SO good. The only thing I had put in my body in the last 4 days was tobacco, a few pills, and a butt load of Makers Mark. I couldn\'t keep anything down during detox so I was literally starving. After eating everything in sight, I decided to have a smoke. I walked outside to smoke and saw some dudes just chillin\' around a campfire and they were laughing.... Do you, reading this right now realize what I just said??? Laughing!!!!! Think about this... 15 GUYS, all very recently coming off of whatever it was they were on, and they were ALL laughing!!!!! I nervously made my way to the fire and was welcomed by everyone. I sat down... I had my smoke... and 30 minutes later I was laughin\' hysterically with them... At first I didn\'t realize what was happening... It wasn\'t until my face hurt from laughing so hard that I realized I was sober and laughing and ... so were they! I couldn\'t believe it!!! That night I climbed into my bunk to try and get some sleep. As I covered myself up in the dark I got a feeling that I hadn\'t felt in a long time.... When I was a child and climbed in my bed there was almost an excitement. I would curl up and hug my knees as the cool covers fell over me...I remember that I felt safe, I knew everything was goina be fine.... As the cool covers began to warm I would grow tired and drift calmly and peacefully to sleep.... As I did that night... Sober. That was just my first night there. There\'s no way I can explain the events to come over the next year in this post. I completed my year and eventually left Freedom Farm to try again... Of course I still stay connected with em all cuz there my boyz and I love em. But if ya have questions call them.... If ya just wanna hear more I\'d love to tell ya!! I can tell ya the year to come was was great! I can tell you that if ya just hang in there and give it just ONE year it\'ll be great for you too. I\'m not sayin\' everyday\'s a vacation. Its not. Ya gotta be tough. Ya gotta look and listen for what the Lord\'s tryin\' to tell ya. Not a Christian? Okay... Don\'t believe in all that religious stuff? That\'s okay too... Make the call, man.... Try and keep an open mind while you\'re there and let\'s just see how this thing plays out.

bill

Freedom Farm Ministries was successful in helping me quit drinking through their one year program. They are very involved with each individual as they work to introduce their participants to a closer and closer relationship with Jesus Christ. I was able to replace my need for alcohol a with need for a loving Savior. When I realized that by surrendering to Him and by becoming repentant and truly believing in Him that I could do with Him what I could not do alone.

Ryan

This place and its staff brought me back to the Lord and saved my life. I was washed up and had burned every bridge and everybody in my life. Through working the program I have established good habits and rekindled lost relationships with family and once close friends. Most importantly, I have turned my life over to Jesus Christ. It\'s a year long commitment for good reason. The gospel truth is given to you at the points that you are most able to receive it and understand it. This program is by no means perfect, but it works if you are willing to let go. I have seen men transform right in front me. If you are looking for someone to cure you and tell you magic steps to make you normal once again, this might not be the place for you. FFM helped me realize that no effort that I can muster will ever be enough to save me from my sin. The beautiful thing is that Jesus has paid the price and redeemed me. I don\'t have to control anything.

Eric T.

I cannot ever thank God enough for putting Freedom Farm in my path. They can take atruly broken man, and by the grace of God - show him how to live a sober life of surrender to Jesus Christ. I came there with the surrender, and God supplied me the tools through the ministry to give ne a whole new life of being clean and serving God that I never before thought possible. After nearly 30 years of self-destruction, I just celebrated 5 years of sobriety in a life of love and happiness I never before imagined me experiencing. PRAISE GOD THSNK YOU FREEDOM FARM MINISTRIES !!!

Jw

Absolutely the worst rehab facility I have ever called. I dealt with the rudest most horrible man. I don't think I would send my worst enemy to that place. No feedback whatsoever. And by the way, after you have paid them all this money there's no help whatsoever in getting a job. They throw their clients out. I pray for their clients!!

Cm

Same as what the other guy said. This is NOT a rehab. This is strictly for bidle study and for them to get free labor. I stayed there for 4 weeks and drove their box truck. living conditions are Very run Down, it is a double wide With 4 guys to a room. Children bunk beds.

Labor is not free but helps supplement cost of the individuals stay here which is fully disclosed to every individual before entry. The person was only here for 4 weeks and it's a one year program and another fact fully disclosed to clients before entry is foundational teaching doesn't start till after being here 2 months so claiming is just a bible study is something they couldn't even know because they hadn't reached the teaching part of the program.

Pjw

This is not a rehab, this is a bible boot camp. All you do is study the bible and work for free moving and carrying furniture at their thrift shop. You will not learn one bit about how to live clean and sober. And the leadership is incompetent to say the least....I would not recommend this place as a rehab. As a place to study the bible, yes but not as a rehab. It essentially isn't a rehab

The claims in this review are not true. Men work here to help supplement the cost of treatment and this fact is fully disclosed to them before entry. Also yes we are a Bible based facility but being described as a bible boot camp is extremely inaccurate. Also we have many graduates including myself and all my staff that 100% believe they learned how to live clean and sober in this program which is 1 year long and this individual was only here for weeks or a month at most.