Gateway Rehab

100 Moffett Run Road, Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, 15001

3.7

About Gateway Rehab

Gateway Rehabilitation Center, a private, not-for-profit organization, is a positive force in the prevention, treatment, education and research of substance abuse and alcoholism. Since 1972, our center has thrived under the guiding spirit of its founder and medical director emeritus, Abraham J. Twerski, M.D. This renowned author and physician first opened Gateway Rehab as a 28-day, abstinence-based alcohol and drug dependence treatment center for adults. Today, Gateway Rehab is an internationally recognized leader in addiction treatment, offering an array of services for adolescents, youth, and adults with a compassionate and individualized approach.

Medical Detoxification

Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Out Patient

Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

• Youth Services
  • Correction Division
  • Employee Assistance Program

3.8/5

• Mike
    Gateway saved my life. The therapists and staff there were so supportive and helpful and gave me so much hope. It wasn’t the greatest rehab in terms of the facility itself but the techs and counselors and staff made up for it. I went to Gateway inpatient and now I’m in outpatient. I’m grateful.
  • Jr
    Not any of the staff return call after messages have been left numerous times. Just care about keeping patients for money purposes. Dropped off garments and patient didn't receive for over two days. So hard to put monies on account, called all day and at 3:30 finally answered to take cc#. I am surely gonna make a better business report and to governor.
  • ME
    It's not the same as it used to be and it's changing for the worse! The new director and managers there are running it into the ground. They are letting go and firing the good employees, the ones who actually care about the patients and hold the patients accountable, while they are terribly understaffed. The main focus is not for the 12 steps or to help the patients stay clean and sober, but to get them on maintenance drugs and to keep them coming back so Gateway can get more money. The ones affected the most are the men, because that's the biggest population, but low staff and a manager who would rather not have them go to outside AA/NA meetings almost daily, like the other populations do, because that's what needs to be practiced to maintain recovery. If you or a loved one needs rehab, go somewhere else where you will actually get help.
  • Catherine
    Do not go here, the councilors are never available. The staff is the worst, they do not care about you. The only thing they are concerned with is socializing with each other. The patients are counciling each other. The nurse is very rude and doesn't care if you get your medications, said she has other things to do...you'll just have to wait til after lunch, and I've gone two days without blood pressure medicine. I came here voluntarily, gonna go somewhere else that cares and are willing to help. If you want and need help, please go to a real rehab and not this dump.
  • Anon
    Therapy staff care a lot about the clients and their recovery. But a shift in care has made the program more like a sub clinic. Staff is overwhelmed since departments are being laid off to save a penny, so client needs often are not met. The med director pushes subs and is incredibly rude to both clients and the nurses working for him. If you want therapy, consider somewhere else.
    Gateway Rehab is our premier rehab here in PA. I was there for 30 days approx 15 yrs ago and have been clean and sober since. Gateway is at the top of their field and is a very 21st Century rehab that is informed in anything to do with addiction and offers options that are individually specialized to each patient's needs
  • David
    When I had enough I decided to find out if I could stop using. At the time ST.France Hospital was only detox I heard about. I stayed for 13 days. It was suggested I go to Gateway. Being an addict don't. Three months later I ended up going to Gateway.At that time it was considered one of the best in the country.I stayed clean, sober for 18 years. I then started using again can't blame Gateway. They introduce me to a twelve step program. I have heard they don't keep up with the times. I wonder how long does Addict need to use subs or methedon addict will say I'm sick need a dose
  • Gcd
    Poor!!! Don’t go there!!!
  • sw
    Granddaughter spent 30 days at Gateway. It saved her life literally. If you can convince your loved one to receive treatment there, it is worth the try. It is tough for them & the family, but you have to participate & be strong in following through with the stay & treatment. And also convince them for follow-up therapy after. It's been over a year & granddaughter is doing well. Give lots of love, support, & family members get help for yourself & be strong as you go through this tough chapter in your lives.
  • Jason
    One size fits all opioid detox which does not work. Suboxone detox for everyone. Same length of time and same medication. Three people in a two person room. Not enough communication.
  • Kk
    The counclors are fantastic
  • M.W.
    Staff is awesome and very helpful, the food was good most of the time, I don\'t plan on going to rehab again but if I ever have to it would be gateway.
  • Dwayne
    My journey began there ~35 yrs ago. It still continues. Thanks to Gateway I am still sober. Thanks Gateway for saving my life.
  • DWH
    detox area effective & ramsey hall for youth is great, but liberty halfway house is not at all what its cracked up to be... I was in no manner impressed as when we visited on every time allowed, young men sitting around playing video games or whatever they wanted... no structured supervision, and when one woman was asked about something she was very snooty. Yes my son got kicked out, and so did a few others during and after his stay there, but the attention the employees give should be geared toward showing these young men how to motivate themselves and not just allow them to do what they want... I\'d heard good things about the program, but experiencing it as a parent is another thing. Two specific people at Ramsey Hall are fantastic Counsellors and know how to talk to prople and motivate their clients as does one man at Liberty Station Halfway House..These are the only staff I can mention, and I wish them well in their respective positions, but the rest need to be removed and replaced with folks whom care, and this includes one guy at Liberty Statiion.... I;m sure this review will never be made public, but my comments to the Better Business Bureau will be part of a public record at some point....
  • M.W
    I entered Gateway 1/01/16 and it was the best decision I ever made. I learned allot there and I am clean. The people were great and the staff was excellent. I went in with the mind set that I was going to give it 100%. You get what you give. I miss the staff and the other patients there. The worse part of my stay was the smoke alarms going off at 3:00am because of the people smoking in their rooms . The staff was well aware that cigarette smoking was going on in the evenings in our rooms but they would not do anything about it I would recommend Gateway to anyone that is serious about getting clean.
  • Melissa
    Was just reading over some reviews some good some bad this will be the second time I drop my son off at this facility the first time I picked him up early which I should not have done I realized that after I made that mistake this time around when my son wanted to go into treatment he expressed to me that he thought this facility was one of the best ones from what he heard of and that this facility compared to Pyramid is a resort I myself am a recovering addict and my son is also an addict who has been there for only 3 days and I must say they have let him call me this same night he went in I got a phone call the third morning from a counselor to just touch base with me to let me know that he was doing good and how long he would be in detox how long he would be there all together after reading some of the reviews I just wonder if some of the people that have negative things to say are just finding reasons to blame the facility like the one person said relapsed after 4 years well how is that Gateway default gateway give you the tools and the foundation to build your sobriety on if you really left four years later that has nothing to do with Gateway and yes you will come across some stuff that are having a bad time or bad moment because I think everybody seems to forget that these people on a daily basis or dealing with us addicts who can be very difficult at times especially when we\'re sick and I am sure there are staff that are rude and treat you like crud when it\'s uncalled for and it still is uncalled for and very unprofessional to treat any patient other than with respect but I think some people are being a little too hard on the stuff I myself prefer to deal with therapists or counselors that are recovering addicts because they know firsthand I don\'t like somebody that went to college and tried to say I know what you\'re going through that\'s like a man telling a woman I know what it\'s like to have a baby because you don\'t unless you\'re an addict you have no idea what we go through and to be dual diagnosis that\'s a double whammy for us it\'s even harder to deal with so I just asked some people to take a look and reflect on your stay there was it really that bad or were you just angry because you didn\'t get treated the way you thought you should be this place is better than being in jail where you don\'t get any kind of comfort or detox package you suffer some people even die I would be grateful that I got to stay in a facility in a clean bed with a Hotmail in medication to help me feel better through the detox process I can understand both sides but I can also understand and I also know from experience addicts complain when they feel people are being too strict or not meeting their needs this process of getting clean there is a reason for everything that these counselors do it is strict for a reason and if you\'re open-minded and honest with yourself you will try to understand the reasons for the things that they do for the rules that they apply I always say that things could be so much worse you\'re alive you have a chance at getting your life back together even make it greater than it was before but that\'s up to you once you walk out those front doors because that\'s reality once you leave there so God bless all of you and so far I have no complaints about Gateway
  • RM
    The staff seems friendly in the initial contact with them. Afterward I had never encountered the rude people that I did by phone ever in my life. They talk down to you as if they are above you because you have an addiction problem. I was promised a bed for inpatient care. Had bags packed and ready to make a huge change in my life. I get a phonecall 15 mins later saying they couldn\'t accept me because I had had suicidal thoughts before! They ask a series of questions right at end of conversation...And mind you they ask you to answer honestly . It was have you to answer honestly. The question was have you ever had suicidle thoughts. Being an addict of prescription meds and high doses of anxiety meds I said yes. Never followed through obviously but need help and need to detox and want to feel and be me again. They called me back and said they weren\'t equipped or either was their staff or counslers. To deal with someone that has had those thought! Seriously???? Who hasn\'t thought not done but thought of not wanting to be alive in a dark period of their life ? Loss of loved one , job , spouse ect. So after begging for help and having excellent insurance, was turned away! Because they don\'t have a competent staff or therapist to talk to . Shame on them and Gateway for employing imbisils. And refuse a person in need of help. Oh I will spread the word! Also talked to me like I was stupid and uneducated ! Well obviously they are the ones who are......
  • dd
    My ex is there and it\'s apparent he is NOT getting the help he needs. Not owning ur mistakes will never get u better
  • Shawn
    Too restrictive with no breathing room. I understand the need for strict structure, but the hammering of group after group without enough qualified staff is futile. Not to mention the co-Ed group led by the\" ex-addict\" counselor who forces everyone to tell their most degrading experience, and breaks them down with shame in front of men and women. But yet he isn\'t telling his \"degrading story\" to anybody. He\'s a conman who digs degrading people. And it\'s a fact he has NO counseling experience.
  • Kathy
    I was in IOP, which is intensive outpatient. Only difference than main campus was that I went home at night. Counsellors did not have very good people skills. Overall it was a good experience.
  • N B
    Close by but limited options for women. No program for atheists/ agnostics. This was our daughter's third rehab. The staff was helpful & the counselors very good. They could use more staff for family counseling.
    Close by, limited options for women. No program for atheists/ agnostics. This was our daughter's third rehab. The staff was helpful & the counselors very good. They could use more staff for family counseling.
    around the clock service, great counceling,family services,and faminly counceling. too much down time, the food is not that great, they mix court appointed inmates with people paying with insurance. its a great facality with a caring staff, what you put in is what you get out.
    The staff can be known to treat people bad at times (even when not deserved) I have been there a few times. Most staff very nice. Other staff can be very rude, not empathetic, and just should not be working there. If possible I would try to look to go to rehab at other places than this. But if this is your last resort it's not like it will be the end of the world.
    The Staff Is wonderful with the job they do and are there any time the patience need them. They are great at reading between the lines and don't put up with the drama and treat the situatians fairly. While I was there they started a program for older adults (40 plus), they recieved a lot of complaints on the younger patients telling their war stories so they started that program and it was working well. I thought they should start a program that separated the frequent flyers into their own group and maybe approached their treatment a little different. While working at this facility, I have seen some succeed (who I am very proud of) and those who have repeated the treatment process over and over. It's heart breaking to see anyone have to repeat the program. It was hard to take hearing that someone left treatment and died. I just wish that every patient could take a step back and see that they are loved ,special and worthy of having a better life no matter how they got here. Anyone that would choose this facility , honestly choose to work the program, taking their sobriety and LIFE seriously can succeed and can live such a better life. Life is what you make it
    Close to home but outdated. I would use it
    The staff has a lot of experience, are very friendly, and extremely helpful. The food is not very good. The staff is made up of mostly recovering addicts and had a lot of experience to share.
    staff and programs were good. the older facility building was an issue. the professional staff
    this place did not help my daughter who is a herion addict. i sent her there 4 times and they did not help her at all. i would not send anyone there.my daughter is still an addict. but this was the only place we could afford.
    the rehab unit is in an apartment building with no fenced in areas but the workers cars, this rehab place is a joke and really needs to be closed down. it's a shame you place a loved one into their care and they aren't receiving it
    staff was a strength. the older facility was a weakness. read literature beforehand
    they have a good alcohol program that helped my brother quit drinking, For the most part the staff is friendly and helpful. I only visited my brother once while he was there, but his wife didn't really have any negatives to report.
  • RB
    Will never recommend it to anyone. This facility not only wants, but two times dropped my son off for an appointment at the hospital, and one other appointment, and never went back to pick him up...I will never forgive this facility for how they treated him
  • JW
    Clinical staff are helpful with questions. Billing dept. is poor and lacks good customer service.
  • Holden
    This facility is far from great, but is 100% the best rehab within 100 miles of Pittsburgh. And I would recommend it for that reason. They have a very personal staff and friendly environment; however, they lack outside communication and they have a very strict schedule.
  • Kimberly
    Time there was beneficial. I just hadn't had enough yet. Started using as soon as I left. I kept the things I learned with me. Stay there was beneficial in my journey. I have 6 months and 29 days today. They have really great seminars but not enough one-on-one counseling.
  • David
    It was a great program. You weren't limited to a certain amount of time there, could've been 30 to 90 days. I was there for 30 days and went across the street to a half way house after treatment. The Rutter House was also a great place to learn how to live a sober life.
    They have wonderful family participation but could use better connectivity.
    It was an overall very good facility.
    They help you realize your potential. They were very compassionate. The only downfall was the length of the program.
    They specialize in drug treatment and the staff was great.
    The family participation was great. However, they did not deal well with mental health issues. I feel they helped my son, but he ended up going back to his old ways.
  • Charles
    The facility made sure we were fed well, had yoga classes and also kept us physically active. The counselors seem like they were very much overloaded-- you barely even got to see your personal counselor for the entire stay. Gateway was a clean place with good people that work there. However, I really think they could use more counselors so that the counselors that are employed there are not so overwhelmed and they are able to be more personal with the recoveries. I recently have celebrated five years and I would still recommend this facility to others going into treatment.
  • Jean
    The programs were great. However, they need to improve their security and the in patient treatments were not long enough.
    They were courteous of our needs; it was a great experience. However, they needed a different variety of nutritional foods.
    10 years off and on the wagon; then something clicked and now has been drug and alcohol free for 4 years. Their recovery rate is a strength of the facility.
    The meetings and parent participation were wonderful. It seems that those being treated only get better if they really want to.
    It was a very good facility.
    The facility is nice and clean. The rehab was nice but I question how effective treatment is.
    The staff was good. The building was an old building though.
    They do a good job at keeping people in treatment.
    It has several satelite out patient centers for continued care. Perhaps my daughter could have been there longer; she had several failed shorter stays. The facility also could be more modernized.
    They have great continued follow up in communities throughout the region. They offer a swift detox program. They are a general facility and do not offer added amenities other than basics. My loved one was in patient twice over 3 years. Major relapses but because of out patient satelite locations she's been able to attend on going out patient therapy close to home.
    Never visited, only know of the success of the person that stayed there. It has worked from them thus far.
    My cousin was treated with respect the entire time she was coming off her habit of drugs..they saved her life..My aunt and uncle were informed constantly and family was involved if we wanted to be..all positive results from us. Don't ever give up! There is always a reason to live!!! Yourself!!!
    It was a good facility but needed more family participation.
  • Kayla
    Detox is clean and comfortable. Some staff are recovering addicts themselves. The meals and residential area was great also. However, they need more outside NA meetings.
    It was effective treatment but the facility was not very clean.
  • Kelly
    It was an overall great facility.
  • Kelly
    They taught a lot about addiction and how to maintain sobriety and also were very skilled in helping to deal with other issues such as with myself and the anxiety disorder I've had for years and ways to help with my anxiety. The therapists were always available to talk when needed and they always kept everyone busy with different activities and group therapy to help focus on everyones treatment. They did not let family come; it was very restricted as well as phone calls were limited and we had to use a pay phone to call family and friends which cost out of pocket. The food also was not the greatest
  • Kylee
    This facility provides effective treatment in a personalized fashion. Friendly staff, it is clean and rooms are a good size. However, there are not many exercise or extracurricular activities.
  • anonymous
    My sibling has been clean since leaving facility even though they left the program early. Sibling felt the facility was more interested in money than treatment
  • anonymous
    themselves. It was the scariest place I have ever been. I feared for my safety. Counselors inadequate (only good ones were the ones who are in recovery themselves. The others were just book smart & didn't care
  • Jay
    My experience as a counselor tech was very good, but exhausting. Dealing with 25 males on a daily basis, each one having 4 different personalities, it was tough to figure out which personality I was dealing with each day. Very dedicated staff.
  • KH
    Really helped me out.
  • anonymous
    All of the counselors were very helpful and understanding. I felt they did the best that they could. They explained in depth what I needed to do to deal with my addiction and depression.
  • anonymous
    not sure I would recommend this place.
  • Mary Ann
    The family program is wonderful if you get involved with the program. My son went to their Half-Way House and the care there was just as great.
  • Nicole
    Overall the treatment was good. The individual counseling needs more allotment. The counselors that lead group therapist was the most helpful to me personally.
  • SLS
    Relapsed after 4 years.
  • CKR
    Staff with no reality based experience is useless and not respected. Those who have traveled the roads of addiction are so much more effective. Overpriced, ineffective treatment.
  • Jack
    I learned that alcoholism is a disease and that there is nothing to be ashamed about while admitting your alcoholism as long as you are a recovering alcoholic! Sober 29 years now.
  • MB