Gosnold on Cape Cod - The Emerson House in Falmouth, MA

Group Therapy
Individual Counseling
Educational Sessions

ABOUT THE EMERSON HOUSE

Located in a Victorian mansion off the harbor in the historic town of West Falmouth, Mass., Emerson House offers supportive, residential care for women struggling with substance abuse including pregnant and postpartum women. The facility also treats co-occurring disorders, such as anxiety and depression. Emerson House is part of Gosnold Inc., a Massachusetts-based network of drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers that has provided addiction and mental health programs and services since 1972.

Evidence-based treatment at Emerson House blends individual and group counseling, art therapy, equine-facilitated learning, fitness and meditation, special issues groups, and other offerings. The aim is to reintegrate clients into their families, social environments, and workplaces.

According to the facility’s website, treatment emphasizes the creation of a “healthy beginning” and includes prenatal, delivery, and well-baby medical care, as well as access to early intervention, education, and parenting support.

The length of treatment at Emerson House varies depending on each client’s circumstances. However, most women stay six to 10 weeks, and pregnant and postpartum women stay six months to one year.

As a whole, Gosnold offers fully encompassing treatment from inpatient to detox, partial hospitalization, and outpatient services at its network of facilities. Aftercare options include outpatient programs, sober living, and recovery support activities.

Emerson House staff includes physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, and addiction/mental health counselors. Gosnold is accredited by the Joint Commission and licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

The Victorian mansion serves as the main facility. The stately white building houses the central program and accommodations. Pregnant women and women with babies stay in a separate residence adjacent to it.

There is no Internet access, and laptops and ipads are prohibited. Cellphones are permitted to be used daily during a specific timeframe at the discretion of the facility. Residents are encouraged to bring phone cards since they have access to a pay phone at certain times for outgoing calls. The facility suggests clients bring enough toiletries, cigarettes, and clothes for their stay, although coin-operated laundry machines are available on-site.

Feedback from former residents is mostly positive from four alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing. Three reviewers sprinkled their comments with the word "love." One alum wrote: "I love Emerson House and the phenomenal staff. I thank you for living me when I was unable to love myself." Former resident Kate told Rehabs.com: "I went to the Emerson House 15 years ago and highly reccomend it to anyone willing to want to recover. They gave me the tools and foundation I needed to stay clean and sober. Thanks to one staff member in particular for her loving care...."

A.E.O.C. gave the top five stars to the major categories of the Rehab.com survey: treatment effectiveness, accommodations/amenities, and meals and nutrition. She offered the following remarks: "Emerson House was wonderful and I loved everything about it but I however was not ready to receive the information they were giving me and that was the cause of my relapse." Both she and alum Kate underscored the need for residents to put in the effort in order to recover.

Another alum, however, was unhappy with her experience. “My parents regret spending the thousands they did just to have them basically lock me up everyday. My mum called to complain about a visit she was denied and the woman wouldn’t call her back,” wrote E, who revealed she was transferred from another Gosnold location where she had been pleased with her care.

On secondary site Google, Emerson House averaged 4.2 stars out of five based on five reviews.[1] Four Google users offered top five-star ratings of the center and the other provided one star only.

The Emerson House accepts most major insurance providers, and offers a feature on its website where you can ask a staff member to verify your insurance. Clients are encouraged to contact Gosnold Inc. regarding financial assistance and further questions. One Rehabs.com survey response from a former resident reveals she was offered financial support by the facility.

1. goo.gl/8DHbbV

Published on August 2017

Worst place ever! Gosnold on Catumet did wonders for me, then they sent me to this place which just broke me down. My parents regret spending the thousands they did just to have them basically lock me up everyday. My mum called to complain about a visit she was denied and the woman wouldn't call her back. If you care about your child's recovery I suggest Gosnold on Catumet, not this place where the employees treat your kids like crud!

Emerson House holds a very special place in my heart. It's a fabulous women's program that just so happened to save my life back in 1997/98. I love Emerson House and the phenomenal staff. I thank you for living me when I was unable to love myself 💜

I went to the Emerson House 15 years ago and highly reccomend it to anyone willing to want to recover. They gave me the tools and foundation I needed to stay clean and sober. Thanks to one staff member in particular for her loving care along with my counselor!I was the one who did the landscaping that Summer and felt needed and important (part of my self esteem) Thank you all! I highly reccomend this home to anyone serious in getting clean!

Emerson House was wonderful and I loved everything about it but I however was not ready to receive the information they were giving me and that was the cause of my relapse. They did everything they could for me including persisting that i move on to a lower level of treatment and I was the one that denied them. I would recommend this house to any woman willing and motivated to stay sober and do the work related to that.

Photo of Clinical Services of Rhode Island, Portsmouth