GraceWay Recovery Residence for Women in Albany, GA

Call (229) 446-7800 to Contact GraceWay Recovery Residence for Women

412 West Tift Avenue
Albany GA 31701

GraceWay Recovery Residence for Women Philosophy

GraceWay Recovery Residence is a non-profit recovery community for women dedicated to providing women with the environment and tools necessary to achieve and maintain long-term sobriety. GraceWay utilizes the twelve step methodology to provide holistic and abstinence-based recovery support services.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Long-term residential and sober living options

Family workshops

Daily peer groups and 12-step groups

Shannon Burke, LMSW, CADCII

Executive Director

Linda King

Resident Manager

ABOUT GRACEWAY RECOVERY RESIDENCE FOR WOMEN

Located in the heart of downtown Albany, Ga., a stately blue Victorian house serves as GraceWay Recovery Residence’s home for women struggling with substance abuse who are seeking recovery support services. The nonprofit provides long-term, personalized residential care.

Programming follows the spiritual principles of 12-step methodology. In addition to 12-step based programming, daily peer support groups, and weekly individual sessions, residents also partake in holistic activities which may include music, arts, sports, exercise, and weekly recreation activities. Clients learn daily living skills and proper nutrition while in treatment and may participate in family sessions and workshops, as needed.

GraceWay also holds its residents to random drug screenings and, though length of stay ultimately depends on each client’s individual needs, staff re-evaluate each client’s need for programming every 30 days. Aftercare services are available for those who complete residential treatment.

The team at GraceWay consists of a licensed master social worker and addiction counselors. GraceWay is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Residents stay at GraceWay’s Victorian home, which is within walking distance to churches, a public library, parks, museums, and bike trails. Eventually, residents move on to transitional apartments located next door to the residence called “The Way” Sober Living Apartments. “The Way” houses women in nine two-bedroom apartments.

Women share rooms and have access to on-site laundry machines. Smoking is permitted outside in designated areas.

To date, Rehabs.com has received feedback from nine former clients, half of which reported positive experiences and half of which were more critical. Those who were unimpressed cited unprofessional staff and lack of affordability as weaknesses. There were also a couple alumni who mentioned “exorcisms” taking place. According to Ashley, “90 day addicts running the show… Non existent care, expensive treatment.”

More positive feedback came from an anonymous alum. This reviewer gave GraceWay five-star ratings for its counseling options, overall effectiveness, and affordability, but felt overwhelmed by all the new faces that GraceWay admits. “Lots of new comers at one time,” they wrote.

Additionally, Mandy felt that “This is a very strong place no weaknesses come to mind. This was my 9th treatment center and by far the best.” Other positive feedback from those who reported an uplifting experience showed appreciation for their education on addiction.

At the time of this writing, three proud loved ones shared their positive experiences with Rehabs.com. Many found favor and comfort in the faith-based programming. All reviewers thanked the program for helping their loved ones, and Kevin added, “They focus on recovery for the entire family and help rebuild relationships along with educating the resident about how to get their life back on track regardless on where it was before they began.”

GraceWay is funded by donations, fundraisers, and residence fees rather than federal aid and does not work with insurance. The non-refundable admission fee is $250 and covers the resident’s supplies, books, and first drug screening. The cost for the residential program is $3,000 per month.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

My daughter fought addiction for more than 20 years. She has been in more rehab facilities than I can count. As a mother I prayed continuously for God to keep her safe and to intervene. Graceway has been an answer to our prayers. Graceway is like no other treatment center! When I dropped her out I was informed that this is the boot camp of all treatment centers and if she makes it through this program she will have a real chance. She has embraced the program which is truly an addicts boot camp! And for once in a long time I see true hope. She is now in her 7th month at Graceway. Without my faith in God for guiding us to Graceway I honestly think my daughter would not be living today. Thank you for your program!

It has been years since I have been at this facility and still have nightmares about it. The founder definitely has a gift but her methods are completely insane. You are definitely put in a group of your peers so the staff can beat you down until you think you are nothing or have nothing. If anyone tries to stand up for you or talks to you they are also ostracized. I have read the reviews and there is a lot of manipulation on who is going to be picked on at what time. I agree intense therapy is needed but the practices by non professionals were embarrassing. I have never been so embarrassed then when I was told to cry to a staff so we could get money for something that they wanted to do. He didn't buy what we were selling, thank God for them. I think they pulled out the next year of sponsorship. In some aspects they do encourage you to finish school which is great however every thing that you do is always monitored and completely controlled. Literally, we all lived in fear of whatever wrath that was coming next. Granted none of us were perfect, we were addicts and we did things wrong but this place controls you. It's mind control. The food was completely unhealthy. When you move to The Way you are in no way integrated back into society, they do not let you do anything that's not approved. I sincerely wish I could post all of my info on here because I could write a novel. I hope the program has changed but I highly doubt it. One staff was the best thing that happened to us and she is long gone. Please look at all of your options.

Graceway gave me my daughter back. Prior to us finding Graceway, we tried several 30 day programs and they just didn't work long tern. Our daughter has FINALLY found peace and happiness in her life. She is about to celebrate her 1st year sober and I couldn't be prouder of her. Graceway is the real deal!!!! The staff is simply amazing. Graceway has helped our entire family and we will be forever grateful. If you or a loved one is battling this baffling and powerful disease I urge you to CALL GRACEWAY.

Graceway was an oasis in a sea of recovery house disappointments. In dealing with 8 other treatment centers over the years, our hope for successful treatment for our daughter had faded. From our very first interaction with the staff we knew that Graceway was different. Their unique approach, long term care model and the fact that the staff truly (got it) in understanding what is needed to achieve long term recovery. From that first phone call as frightened parent until the recent 1 year celebratory call with the staff and every moment in between we knew our daughter was in the right place finally. I highly recommend Graceway recovery to anyone who is looking for a true long-term solution to overcoming addiction and rebuilding a relationship with your family member. They focus on recovery for the entire family and help rebuild relationships along with educating the resident about how to get their life back on track regardless on where it was before they began.

I stayed as a resident at Graceway for a year and I highly recommend anyone seeking help give this place a chance. While at Graceway I learned how to live sober and have meaningful relationships back with my family and daughter. The counselors really devoted so much time to help us and care about what is best for us. I am forever grateful for the chance I got that saved my life. It can yours too.

A very effective treatment & recovery program with caring, experienced staff. A personalized approach with individualized focus which assists immensely in long-term recovery. This program has succeeded for our family member where many others have failed. Can't say enough positive things about it.

I went through the program six years ago and have not looked back since. This program gave me so much more than just learning how to not drink or use. While I was in the program I found that I was capable of so much more than I realized: self-sufficiency, responsibility, honesty. I was in active addiction for fifteen years. Six years into my recovery, I am able to pay all of my own bills and provide for myself- not relying on others to bail me out today! I went back to school in the sober living apartments and have continued my education. I have rebuilt all of my relationships which were shattered when I first arrived. I must say that going through GraceWay was REALLY hard and there were times that I wanted to quit and run. There were times that I was angry with everyone because I didn't want to look at myself. There were times that I didn't practice what I was learning and fell back into my old patterns and behaviors. Despite all of this, I learned at GraceWay that I am not suppose to be perfect. I can make mistakes and continue to grow. I can be extremely difficult all the while knowing that my support system will be there to help me when I am ready to accept help. Digging deep and changing things about yourself that you don't even want to acknowledge can be very painful. But it does get better! If you are looking to just do the bare minimum to get sober, this program may not be for you. If you are looking to gain a better understanding of yourself and the disease, find a higher power, and learn how to rise above your difficulties then this is the place for you!

I attended this program for almost nine months. First of all, $2,650 a month is no where NEAR what it should cost each person to be in this program. I have been in two other programs that were in larger, nicer facilities, and I received more counseling time, and better care, at a fraction of the cost to no cost. I am still sober to this day after attending this program, but I firmly believe it's been out of anger and determination to prove these people wrong. The "scholarship" program is a scam. I was on partial "scholarship", my family had agreed to pay a certain amount. Even though they paid the agreed amount, the counselors and owner claimed that I, and my family still owed them an additional balance of $1,500. They claimed I signed a contract agreeing to the payment, but when I asked to see it they never produced it, and instead threatened to go after my family for the money. Every day the counselors will hunt and search for something or someone to psycho-analyze and create drama over. If more than a couple weeks go by where nothing is wrong and everyone thinks they're doing well, they will call a group and start pointing out everyone's flaws until they are back to feeling like they won't make it, and that they're doing it all wrong. They also thoroughly enjoy singing out one person, and making the whole group of girls agree that this person is a "bully" or is "weak", "a doormatt", "follower" etc. If you dare to disagree with the staff on these matters, then you are enabling that person. While I agree that for me personally, sometimes things were true, and sometimes I needed them pointed out, doing it to people over and over until they feel like they can't truly be themselves with out being picked apart and psycho analyzed is truly awful. They teach you that isolation is bad and puts you at risk for relapse, but when you do something they disapprove of, the punishment is often being forced into extreme isolation. Now let's talk about the bread house, if the proceeds from this business actually went to graceway, then the program wouldn't be so expensive. These people are all about making money off of drug addicts and their families who are desperate for help.... I realized they're more serious about helping themselves financially than anything else. The way that the residents money and mail is handled is so bad. While there I received several letters that I was not allowed to open while in the program, but was told they would be given to me upon leaving. When I left I received none of them... They rarely take the girls in the house to outside meetings, and when they do it's an hour away. They claim the meetings in Albany are "unhealthy". But after leaving and attending these meetings on my own, I realized that the truth is they don't want anyone confirming the truth about what really happens at graceway. And they don't want any of the girls meeting anyone who might help them "escape" to a better program. You are forced to attend at least one meeting with all the same girls you live with, and no ones anonymity is respected at all. The doors have to be left open so the staff member on duty can hear everything that is being said. We never once attended church, and even when I moved into the apartments I was still not allowed to attend church. The Way does not help taper you back in to the real world what so ever, because you were seldom given the freedom to do the things you need to do in the real world. I could go on more about how much emotional damage was done while I was there, when I make small mistakes I STILL live in fear of the extreme consequences. If you're loved one is struggling with addiction, DO NOT put them through this program. It is not worth the money they claim they need at all.

Outside appearance misleading, was never taken to church altho they professed to be catholic...owner professed to be recovering alcoholic but never known to attend aa meetings,

It is true that the founder is Catholic. However, this program is about encouraging women to find spirituality through the 12-steps and choosing a church upon their transitions if they so choose. It is not about converting anyone to Catholicism, and we want all women to have the opportunity to practice a faith of their choosing. Neither the staff or founder attend meetings in Albany. It has been recommended to our staff through clinical supervision to attend meetings outside of the Albany area to avoid the creation of dual roles.

Very thankful for the care given to my daughter. She has progressed so much and will be forever grateful.

No. Absolutely NOT. This place has no professional counselors... The self described "founder" leads a lavish lifestyle funded by the vulnerable meek in need.

Susan, GraceWay is a non-profit organization which means that all of our financials are public domain and available online for all to see. The founder of the program has never received any monies from the program. Since opening the program, the founder has acted as a volunteer and a Board member but has never been an employee. As for the perceived lavish lifestyle you have described, the founder and her family own a separate business which has been successful enough for them to not only be the founders but also be one of our top donors.

As or our family learns to navigate the storm of addiction, GRACEWAY RECOVERY gave our daughter and our family the emotional, physical and spiritual life line we needed. Her care and recovery,ongoing, is professional, loving and gentle, adhering to a tough scheduled day, giving her life back and great comfort to her family certain she is in Gods hands and staff who recognize that through HIM all things are possible

Strengths: Knowledge of the steps, spirituality, nice facility, all women Weaknesses: Lots of new comers at one time. I didn't pay anything.

I have worked with folks with addiction both in local jails and state prisons as well as in my church and there is nowhere more faith based and successful because they are faith based and I am thankful to Graceway for the transformation that took place in my daughters life! Treating the mental and physical is necessary but if you are looking for eternal you need to go to Graceway because the mind and body eventually turns to dust and the Holy Spirit goes on to eternity. Therefore the Holy Spirit is the most important relationship you can have in this life! Praise God for Graceway and my daughter and I will be forever grateful!

Bluff Plantation
  • Highly successful, evidence-based treatment program
  • Multidisciplinary team of physicians, clinicians, psychiatrists and thearpists
  • Incorporates the Malibu Beach Recovery Diet which boosts dopamine levels