Growth Extended in Van Nuys, CA

15743 Covello St.
Van Nuys CA 91406

Growth Extended Philosophy

At Growth Extended, we believe that effectively treating teens requires special insight and a comprehensive understanding of their needs. To that end, our multidisciplinary team works with you and your child to create a personalized plan for success.

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
    EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.

Physical Fitness

Daily Psychoeducational Groups

Individualized Treatment Plans

ABOUT GROWTH EXTENDED IN VAN NUYS, CA

Located in Van Nuys, Calif., Growth Extended is one of the 490 (37.4 percent) of California treatment facilities that offers residential treatment programs. It also offers partial hospitalization and outpatient treatment to teens and adults who are struggling with substance abuse, mental health disorders, and co-occurring disorders.

According to Growth Extended's website, to be admitted, clients must call the facility for a telephone assessment which includes verification of insurance benefits and a review of the client’s medical history.

The treatment center utilizes a holistic approach including spiritual support, meditation, yoga, church attendance, life skills classes, and 12-step support. Specialized groups cover a variety of topics including self harm, self esteem, past trauma, anger management, addiction, art therapy, family conflict and conflict resolution.

Participants in the Residential Treatment Program spend the full day, 7 days a week, in treatment. Treatment includes individual therapy, group therapy, 12-step groups, off-site support groups, state-of-the-art gym membership, yoga, nutritious meals and medication management by a board-certified psychiatrist.

In the Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP), treatment occurs five days a week for six to eight hours a day, using similar methods as the residential program but on an outpatient basis. Medication management is also offered through Growth Extended’s PHP.

Clients in the Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) receive treatment three times a week for three hours per session. The hours can be during the day or in the evening. Growth Extended encourages IOP either as a “step down” from a higher level of care such as Residential Treatment or Partial Hospitalization, or without having completed higher levels of care for those who need treatment as flexible hours.

Finally, program alumni are eligible to receive complimentary aftercare via participation in the facility’s alumni group.

Growth Extended's website notes the treatment team includes a medical doctor, licensed marriage and family therapists, medical assistants, and dieticians. Many staff members have gone through recovery themselves. It is one of the 182 (13.9 percent) of California treatment centers that is accredited by The Joint Commission.

Residential treatment at Growth Extended occurs in two home-like settings, one for adolescents and one for adults. The facilities are equipped with a modern and relaxing design scheme to increase the client’s comfort while in treatment. Clients enjoy amenities including a gourmet kitchen, yoga room, a computer lab, and a full movie theater with reclining leather seats. The adolescent facility features a grand piano, computer lab, and classroom space.

Of the three loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com to date, two gave negative feedback and one gave a mostly positive review. The one alum to leave a positive review gave five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, four stars for accommodations and amenities, and three stars for meals and nutrition. "Good location, treatment were okay," they wrote.

The other two alumni gave two stars for treatment effectiveness. One called the center a scam. The other alum praised the frontline staff, but complained about the lack of phone calls. They also gave two stars when asked if they would recommend Growth Extended and for counseling options.

To date, the seven people to leave reviews on its Facebook page, which it has the ability to manage, gave an average of 4.5 out of five stars. Most reviewers expressed very positive feelings about Growth Extended. "I'm currently going for my CASAC and love to see these programs readily available," S.L. wrote. [1]

The seven people to leave Google Reviews at the time of this writing gave an average of 2.3 out of five stars. All but one individual gave negative feedback including serious allegations of abuse. [2]

The eight people to leave Yelp reviews at the time of this writing gave an average of three out of five stars, and mixed commentary. While some individuals called the staff incompetent, others thought the staff was "warm and friendly." [3]

The three loved ones to leave reviews on Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave positive feedback. They all gave five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, and thanked Growth Extended. They also praised the treatment team.

"I cannot express enough how wonderful the staff and this program was. My son was in Growth Extended about 2 months ago and it was a great experience for him and for our family. The therapists were wonderful and other staff members were just as great," a parent wrote in a representative review.

According to Growth Extended's website, it is one of the 734 (56 percent) of California treatment centers that accepts insurance. The facility also offers to facilitate outside financing via loans with affordable repayment options in the event insurance is not suitable. Clients are encouraged to contact the facility directly for additional information regarding financing.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/GrowthExtended/reviews/?ref=page_internal

[3] https://www.yelp.com/biz/growth-extended-van-nuys

Published on November 2018

This place is a scam. I was shocked at how they treated a disabled patient.

I thank Growth Extended from the depths of my heart for serving, loving, helping and giving themselves, not only for my son, but also for every broken hearted teen that passes through those doors. I appreciate their passion for helping others get into a healthier phase in life. Thank you Growth Extended for your humor and your amazing dedication in what you each bring to the program. I am so grateful that God has gifted each of you with an amazing heart to give back to life and this world in a positive way. May your lives be blessed with joy, love, peace and hope as trials come your way.

Good location, treatments were ok, did not care for the food.

Some good things, some problems, better than most. Just wanted to say thank you so much for taking care of us all, in our heart, mind and spirit. Thank you so much for all your care and support and wisdom. Everything you said would happen when we spoke to our daughter, did happen. She did question certain things, she did make promises and all that. But, we really appreciate your advice.

I cannot express enough how wonderful the staff and this program was. My son was in Growth Extended about 2 months ago and it was a great experience for him and for our family. The therapists were wonderful and other staff members were just as great. Everybody did a really good job of making us feel comfortable and cared about. His therapist and the program manager did a great job of communicating with me and updating me on my son's progress. The family therapy and weekend family groups really helped us come together as a family. The facility itself is gorgeous and gives of such a homey and welcoming vibe. I think that is what really got my son to be more comfortable with staying in a residential facility. He did only get to make phone calls twice a day for about 10 minutes each however, visitation is every Saturday and each week we were able to spend more and more time with him. There was a lot of time spent with us preparing for his return home ( I think they started planning his discharge about a month ahead of time). They helped us set up other appointments for him, found support groups for him and us to attend, and also checked in with us to see if everything they provided for us was helpful. Both my son and I had a great experience while he was at Growth Extended. This was an experience we will cherish for the rest of our lives.

The frontline staff are very nice and go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. Very little food. A lot of the food is spoiled and it is tough trying to find something decent to eat. The therapist do not meet with you 3-4 times a week like they promised. They meet with you 1-2 times a week if that. After the disengagement period of 7 days they do not let you call just anyone. They pick the people you call, limit the call to 5-10 minutes, and monitor what you say. If you talk negative about the facility in any way, after the call, they counsel you, and sometimes remove that person from the list and then you are unable to talk to them. The laundry machine has something wrong with it a and the clothes come out smelling like mold and mildew. Many clients from different stays have said this and they did service the machine. However, it still did not help much. We asked if we could go to a laundry mat and they said no because we signed a contract saying they would provide a laundry machine. In terms of medications, it took almost 2 weeks for me to get all my medications that were prescribed to me by there psychiatrist that I met with on day 2 of my stay. I was unable to sleep, was extremely anxious, and had a difficulty breathing without my asthma inhalers. The temperature in the house was uncomfortable. It was 76 degrees during the day and over 80 degrees at night in the hot California summer. We asked if they could increase the air and even offered to pay extra and they said no because we signed a contract stating they would provide a reasonable temperature.