Harbor Oaks Hospital in New Balitmore, MI

35031 23 Mile Road
New Balitmore MI 48047

Harbor Oaks Hospital Philosophy

The substance abuse and mental health treatment philosophy at Harbor Oaks Hospital is rooted in current best practices and evidence based research. Chemical dependency and mental health disorders are treatable diseases. These disorders can be acute or chronic, progressive, and potentially fatal. These disorders often co-occur. Chemical dependency and mental illness frequently go hand in hand and have a direct physical, emotional, spiritual and social impact on individuals and their families. When these disorders occur in combination with other behavioral and/or medical health difficulties, their impact is heightened.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Intensive Outpatient (IOP)
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

A premiere provider of behavioral healthcare and substance abuse treatment

Accredited by The Joint Commission and licensed by the state of Michigan

Highly-skilled and compassionate staff

ABOUT HARBOR OAKS HOSPITAL

Harbor Oaks Hospital in New Baltimore, Mich., offers residential and outpatient rehabilitation services for individuals of all ages who are seeking treatment for substance use or psychiatric disorders. Treatment programming is based on a 12-step model.Medically monitored detox and dual diagnosis treatment are available.

This facility's website emphasizes a non-judgmental, compassionate treatment approach. Initial assessments are available on a 24-hour walk-in or appointment basis and clients should expect to meet with a medical doctor within their first day.

Several levels of treatment are offered, including acute inpatient, all-day programming for mental health treatment, and intensive outpatient treatment for chemical dependency, meeting three afternoons a week for a 12-week session. Each program involves individual counseling and group meetings. The main therapeutic curriculum used incorporates cognitive behavioral therapy and 12-step concepts. Several additional treatment techniques utilized include motivational interviewing, art therapy, recreational activity, drug screenings, pet therapy, and mental health and addiction education. Therapy addresses an array of topics, such as relaxation and relationships.

Less intensive treatment programs are also offered.

Among the treatment team members are mental health nurses, master's level therapists and social workers, and behavioral health technicians.

Facility website photographs of the 30-bed hospital depict a clinical setting. Residential clients share bedrooms furnished with twin beds. Some group and waiting areas have access to natural lighting. There is a small recreation room and a gym with a small basketball court and space for practicing yoga. Smoking is allowed in a designated outdoor area.

Of the 10 alumni reviews Rehabs.com has received at the time of this writing, seven were negative, two positive, and one mixed. The most common complaint offered was that staff members were inattentive and lacked empathy. About half of all reviewers reported insufficient access to therapy. "The staff was rude and the doctor refused to talk to me," Kelsey wrote in a representative review.

Three alumni provided survey responses, which were split more favorably than written comments. Two rated highly the effectiveness of treatment and all aspects of accommodations, including meals, exercise and leisure opportunities, policies regarding phone and internet use, and the facility's cleanliness and upkeep, with four or five out of five stars each. However, even one of the positive alumni noted that "the staff was kinda not good." The third respondent agreed on the facility's cleanliness but offered lower ratings in all the other areas.

One area all three survey respondents gave high ratings for was flexibility in available counseling approaches, although one noted that programming needed more structure.

In keeping with alumni trends, two of four reviews by loved ones shared concerns about the quality and quantity of therapy and the disengagement of staff. Countering this, one loved one characterized the staff as accountable, while nevertheless writing that they "could be more welcoming." Another positive reviewer wrote that staff were well-trained and informed.

Just one loved one provided survey responses for 15 metrics measured. They rated several aspects of the facility highly, including opportunities for family participation, along with the effectiveness of treatment and most accommodations and amenities. They also commended the staff for their helpfulness throughout their loved one's treatment program.

Twenty former and current employees, giving the facility an average rating of 2.6 stars out of five, generally supported alumni and family observations. Many described a stressful work environment, short staffing, and disconnected leadership. One, although offering an otherwise positive review, wrote: "Alot of young people work there and think that they know everything."

On the other hand, some reviewers suggested that there tended to be a more positive relationship between clients and treatment staff than alumni indicated.

About one-third of Indeed reviewers also noted safety concerns at the hospital.[1]

Harbor Oaks does not publish its fees. The facility's website notes that many insurance plans are accepted, including TriCare, BCBS, Medicaid, and Medicare, along with private pay.

[1] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Harbor-Oaks-Hospital/reviews

Published on July 2017

Very under staffed. It makes for a very unsafe environment. 24-32 patients to 3 (maybe staff) Too many ‘incidents’ that put staff and/or patience in unsafe environments. Staff seem exhausted from constant obligation to be mandated. I’ve witnessed multiple incidents that could have been avoided. It’s a bad environment. I’d consider other options if you feel a need to go, or have a loved one go. I’m sure there are MUCH better options.

I was sent here under suicide watch along with other health issues a few years ago. They lied to me and the hospital social workers by making their place look like it was a relaxing Hollywood spa retreat right on a lake. The place was nothing as advertised. Dirty and crumbling. The staff who checked me in at the time was nice and professional. I definitely wanted help and recovery. Thankfully for my first few days I had no roommate at all. Then I got a cool person who was older than me and we got along great. The best way I can describe this place is it’s a cross between jail, a nursing home, and a good old fashioned mental ward. You had people that were suicide attempts mixed in with drug addicts there for recovery, and severely disturbed people just wanting to harass other patients and staff for their own amusement. The female staff members looked like young models just out of school who were either unprofessional or over their head working there. On several occasions a few staff members complained to each other right in front of me about “lazy and useless” co-workers that would hide away forcing the few who actually cared to pick up the slack. I complained to staff that other patients were harassing me and others and trying to enter our rooms. Most of the staff didn't believe us. The staff had to pick their battles working there, so it was easier to pretend conflict among patients wasn’t happening. I think any truly sane person who had to ever be put in this place will tell you that when you’re finally released you feel like you’ve escaped! Those are the kinds of dangerous people in there who should never see the light of day! Yes, the staff did peek in and check rooms every 15 minutes 24/7 to make sure that nobody killed them self or others. However, I can tell so much danger could happen within seconds at this place, staff rounds at that length of time do no good!

My son spent two weeks at this hospital for treatment. I was a little leery about having him go here after some of the reviews I read, but then I though to myself these people are seeking treatment so why would they like it. Harbor Oaks gave really good care to my son. He has been clean for a couple of months now and even got a job. I would recommend Harbor Oaks.

I was a patient a few years ago and it was the worst experience of my life. I am still having nightmares. Problems: dirty, had to stand in line for an hour for meds, actually given WRONG med!! By nurse who was very confused. Ate only salads as I don't eat meat and they told me I would have other food available but never happened. Most staff very rude and condescending. I had never been treated this way. Dr. very rude and would only spend 5 minutes with patient and made us sit in the corner of his office!! Not given my medication ambien for sleep so up 56 hours and told I most be manic when I just needed my ambien. I actually had staff plan to put me in room with patient who was large and trying to hit everyone and I was a thin 56 year old!! I feel I will never get over my terrible experience at your terrible hospital. I actually felt more suicidal with the total lack of decent care I received. To add horror I had to pay $1600!!!

I went here for severe depression and anxiety. I felt 10 times worse in this facility than out in the real world. I was exposed to a lot of extremely mentally ill and disturbed patients. They did not supply me with any hygiene products and I was unable to shower or brush my teeth until a family member was able to bring me supplies. I wore the same underwear for days because they did not have any amenities. I was not planning to come to this facility, but because of a mental episode I had I was forced against my will with no notice. It was appalling that this facility did not have things to support patients in my scenario. I didn't come from home, I came from an actual hospital and traveled by ambulance to get here. When exactly was I supposed to pack a bag? The worst part about this facility is there was absolutely nothing to keep yourself entertained. They had their recreation room closed off for the entirety of my stay. The only thing I could do to keep myself entertained was to walk up and down the halls for hours. I felt myself going more crazy because of the boredom. It's been 3 years since I attended this facility and I still have nightmares about it.

Good to be clean

It is far but worth it

They allow smoking outside so that helped

The unit is old, but people are kind

Sober for 30 days so far!

Came here for detox and rehab, everything was great from the staff to soem new friends i met. But they need to update that place, it is old.

The only help I got from this horrible place was from fellow patients. The nurses did nothing to help me what so ever. I found myself scared to feel because they took everything as a diagnosis. I still have nightmares two months after that experience. If anything, that place made me worse. The only three employees in the facility that were understanding and helpful were two social workers and a maintenance man. All three we only saw very little.

I'm a 48yr old female tht found myself in a scary place, Harbor Oaks. This facility is by far the worst place one could go to seek any type of help w chemical dependency and/or mental health intervention. The stsff is absolutely miserable, all of them from the nurses to the techs who for the most part are nasty, condensing and just rude. For some reason they treat the patients w zero compassion and complete lack of empathy. It's incredible to me that these ppl r hired w out any experience wrking w those in need. I see what is written on line regarding this facility and i have yet to read one word that is correct outside of the name of the bldg. I find it impossible to call this place a hospital. My reason for being here was state ordered after i found out i had to b tested for cancer while already being a spinal cord patient and became completely overwhelmed, i had a break w reality. This is the worst place i could have been placed for support and intervention. All of the negative reviews by staff and patients are unfortunately correct. The staff laughed at me, in my face while being admitted at 3am, not one kind word or gesture from anyone. Oh yes, there was one guy (a tech who was just hired) who hadn't turn cruel, yet. The nurse that chk'd me in was one of the nastiest ppl I've EVER met, she'll gt hers though!!! Ok, for the most prt, there are 3 bull meetings per day. I was there for 6days w zero social worker intervention. They claim u will receive one on one w a social worker, very untrue. Im a vet w a 10yr honorable discharge from the Army, i'm also disabled. I had to enlist the help from the Disabled Vet Assoc as well as Medicare. W in 10mins of calling the Vet's i had a social worker visit and immediately let go. ...I repeatedly asked who my social worker was (as u can't b released w out tht interview) and was told time after time, day after by the stsff as well as the terrible doc that i was assigned to one person and tht person wud deny it. This went on for 6 days. Now the doctor... He's a completely other discussion as he himself had a hugh disconnect w his patients. W all of his training u'd think he'd have some place in his heart for those he worked w. Yes, he has a GOD complex and truly doesn't deserve it in the slightest bit. Although no one does but especially him...Plz do not send or let yourself or anyone you love b admitted into this facility. It will never change w out state intervention and patients taking their rights to our government agencies to do somethng about this horrible institution. I have nothing to gain by advising u as to what i see as an injustices to all of us who find ourselves in need of support. There isn't any support in this facility. Your days drag, endlessly. You do nothing at all. If your lucky there may b up to 3 (@ max) meetings, u may gt to color a pic or play w beads as tho your in 1st grade and you get to eat 3x's a day. Thank you for reading my story!!! May God bless you and watch over you in all you do.

Horrible, horrible hospital. My son was in twice--no improvement, plus the staff was completely inattentive and there was an incident that I can't discuss. Will never, ever, send my son back.

I highly recommend against stepping foot in this place , the First doctor that assessed me made ridiculously rude comments at me, and as I was sitting there, told me "it's time for you to leave my office" in the middle of the evaluation . Horrific staff there.

I have been to harbor oaks mental hospital and it was horrible I was never the same when I came out I went in and I loved my family I came out and I just looked at them and I just hated them I still hate them they don't look at me the same they look at me like I'm a lost person that can find her way back.I went in the hospital and the staff treats you like a lab rat and your not aloud to have any friends or talk to boys I wouldn't send anybody there if I were u unless u want them to hate u and by the way don't say at least they would be safe because they wont

the staff was rude the doctor refused to talk to me.

I was admitted to this hospital against my will under suicide watch. Ironically, during my stay here i have never felt more anxious and suicidal in my life. The staff is unattentive and lazy. There is little to do but pace the halls and watch tv. People come here for real help but end up being caged in and denied actual assistance. The most "therapy" you will recieve is an awful group session with other patients, and a daily 2 minute conversation with a psychiatrist who decides whether you stay or go. When i got home, i cried for days over my experience and was anxious for weeks- my suicidal thoughts recurred immediately. This place will not help you.

It was really good. they provided food and good accomadations the staff was kinda not good

They had a variety of programs. Staff didn't seem very concerned with accomplishing anything. There needs to be more structure.

They were nice and all bla bla but aside from them I don't know about everyone else but I think think a kid being sent away expesualy to a freaking mental hospital will make any change it just showed me that I'm crazy and that my parents thought the same.

The facility was very accountable. I believe the environment could be more welcoming. This was a scary time in the lives of my family members and the staff was very gracious and understood our concerns and did everything they could to help our family.

The staff was well trained and informed and knew how to handle every situation. The lack of funds towards a better facility was a weakness. They were very assistive through the entire process and I will recommend them again in the future.

My brother was admitted to this facility under suicide watch. He wanted to jump off of a bridge and end his life. After only 2 days of treatment and asessment he was deemed okay and referred to the substance abuse program. They discharged him with a promise of being readmitted 1 and 1/2 half days for a fee of $250.00. He kept his promise and when he got there the fee turned into $750.00 cash and thats with insurance. Im sickened and would not recommend Harbor Oaks to anyone for mental or substance abuse treatment.

Harbour Oaks was an extremely important factor in my being sober today. They gave me support, treated patients with respect, and gave me plenty of tools to use on the outside. They are truly a blessing! It was very beneficial. Sober almost 10 months now

Behavioral Rehabilitation Services
  • All inclusive, executive, luxury rehab facility.
  • Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Therapy