His & Her Houses Residential Treatment in Upland, CA

Call (877) 868-5728 to Contact His & Her Houses Residential Treatment

239 W. 9th Street
Upland CA 91786

His & Her Houses Residential Treatment Philosophy

At His & Her Houses we provide many levels of treatment from detox to sober living and ongoing continuing care. Our multi-disciplinary approach is instrumental in educating our clients and their loved ones about the effects of drugs and alcohol on the body, mind, and spirit. Using evidence based modalities, our qualified experienced staff works closely with the addict to develop an accurate and effective treatment plan based on individual needs and goals.

For many, addiction and alcoholism are complex problems that not only involve compulsive use of substances, but also interlocks behaviors, feelings and how an individual interacts with loved ones. This results in a lifestyle that is self-defeating and unstable. The best treatment does not stop at freeing our client from chemical use, but it also examines the impact of emotional, behavioral and interpersonal consequences. Our program helps clients find and maintain a lifestyle that is free of dependency.

We believe in treating addiction and alcoholism on a holistic level using a multidisciplinary approach. Our facility aims to address all aspects of the diseases of alcoholism and addiction. The diseases have many components such as the physical, mental, biological, emotional, and spiritual.

Our goal and purpose is to find the excellence that is within us all and to celebrate it with every part of our heart and soul.

• Dual Diagnosis Treatment Methods

• Solution Focused Therapies
    Focusing on our goals, and choosing a path where everything moves us closer to them, are the principles behind Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT). There are times when going back and reminiscing can do more harm than good. Rather than doing good, recalling the cause of the problem can often cause more anxiety and stress because it perpetuates and even aggravates the problem. Solution focused brief therapy has been used as a method for solving psychological disorders since the 1980s, and it has been proven to help people improve their lives and social interactions.

Homelike Environments

• We want our programs to feel like home, not like a hospital. Our locations in Southern California offer gorgeous grounds equally distant from the beach and the mountains.

Fitness and Yoga

• Yoga can do a lot to help you physically, but there is also a very deep spiritual aspect involved for those who practice Yoga regularly.

Mind, Body and Spirit

• Balance is a feeling derived from being whole and complete; it's a sense of harmony. It is essential to maintaining quality of Life. Healthy thoughts = healthy actions.

Susan Jackson, MFT

Clinical Director

Susan Jackson has worked in the field of addiction for 25 years. She received her Bachelors of Science in Behavioral Science and her Masters of Science in Marriage and Family Therapy at the University of La Verne. She began her career working for the City of Chino as a gang interventionist and domestic violence counselor. While at Chino, she began working with substance abusing adolescents and their families. This experience, working with the addictive family system, led to her working at San Antonio Community Hospital on the Chemical Dependency Unit as the family counsel. Susan worked 8 years on the Chemical Dependency unit for Loma Linda University Behavioral Medicine Center and was promoted to Program Manager for the children and adolescent mental health and chemical dependency program for the last 5 years, a total of 13 years at Loma Linda. Recently Susan joined His House and New Creation as the Clinical Director. Working with the addicted family system is her passion. She is the proud mother of five wonderful children and five amazing grandchildren.

Glenn Swanson, MBA, CDAC-II

Founder and CEO

Glenn’s personal journey includes a long hard-fought battle with addiction that cost him his job, his home, and his family. With no place left to go, he landed on the doorstep of a long-term treatment program that saved his life. Almost immediately, doors began to open giving Glenn an opportunity to help fellow addicts. His dedication to helping other people reclaim their lives is driven by a strong connection with God and his belief that no person or situation is hopeless. Glenn believes in the power of God’s Love and has worked as a channel to provide safe and effective treatment, since 1994, for addicts and alcoholics who want to stop the cycle of self-destruction – he and his staff love the clients until they can love themselves. His education in Alcohol and Drug Counseling, his theological studies and his Master’s degree in Business Administration compliment his experience, strength and hope as he continues to follow God’s divine plan.

ABOUT HIS HOUSE RESIDENTIAL TREATMENT

From the suburban town of Upland, 35 miles east of Los Angeles, His House offers a full continuum of addiction and recovery services, including intervention (upon request), detoxification, residential care, outpatient programming, and sober living for men struggling with substance abuse and dual diagnosis.

Residential treatment is a four-phase program lasting up to 90 days. His House builds its treatment programs around the three cornerstones of spirituality, client education, and individualized treatment.

To fulfill all of these criteria, the center uses the 12-Steps alongside evidence-based practices such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT), and brief strategic family therapy (BSFT). His House also uses a “brain wellness” program that includes exercises, computer programs, and puzzle-solving activities. Treatment is rounded out by experiential therapies such as outdoor therapy, role-playing, and self-expression through art and music. Medications are prescribed as needed.

There’s a dedicated Christian recovery track as well as specialized services for the elderly.

Outpatient programming includes an intensive outpatient program (IOP) and general outpatient care.

The staff-to-client ratio is 1:3, and according to the website, staff includes physicians, nurses, psychiatrists, and therapists. Each of the three individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date gave it a four-star or a five-star rating on the staff’s level of training and experience.

His House has 130 beds in houses located around the suburbs of Southern California — specifically in Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, and Colton. Pictures published on the organization’s website show family-style homes with gardens. Clients have access to a local gym, and His House also employs a nutritionist and provides facilities for its residents to learn yoga. The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s cleanliness gave it an average rating of 3.8 stars.

Of the 19 reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, 12 were positive, two mixed, and five negative. The positive reviewers repeatedly told Rehabs.com that His House had saved or dramatically changed their lives: “Im still clean. Im a walking miracle. I came into this place a hopeless junkie. I left with the necessary tools to overcome cravings and triggers,” Ryan wrote in one representative review. Several clients noted that the program was tough, but effective. The staff also won repeated praise: “They are very caring respectful people,” Caleb wrote, in another representative review.

The reviewers also awarded praise to the center’s extracurricular activities and treatment for co-occurring disorders. “They taught me how to live sober, how to deal with everyday issues , and dealing with my anxiety was a great accomplishment,” Matthew wrote.

The negative reviewers frequently criticized the physical facility, describing it as dirty or otherwise run-down: “It is passable, but not luxurious by any stretch. My biggest gripe here would be the used old mattresses and the worn blankets provided,” Greg wrote. Two reviewers also commented on the staff’s level of training: “Most of the counselors barely have associates degrees and groups were a joke,” Cameron told Rehabs.com.

A single family member review submitted to Rehabs.com to date was positive. The anonymous reviewer gave the facility two out of five stars for its holistic offerings, and four or five stars in all other evaluated treatment metrics, including its treatment effectiveness, family program, counseling options, and treatment for co-occurring disorders. “They were informative. Ready, willing to work with your insurance. Staff was efficient, helpful,” they wrote.

The single staff member polled by Rehabs.com to date gave positive feedback, writing:“I believe this program has amazing potential. Support and encouragement, utilizing insurance benefits and their 12-step model received praise with reviewers giving the facility four out of five stars for its treatment effectiveness, counseling options, and treatment for co-occurring disorders. However, they added: “Weaknesses were the individualized treatment and physical activity,” and gave the center two stars for its exercise/leisure and holistic options.

Treatment costs $500 a day, $14,500 a month, or $32,500 for 90 days. The center accepts insurance, and is in-network with HealthNet MHN. Financial assistance is also available through American Healthcare Lending, covering up to 100% of the cost of treatment. Each of the three individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the facility’s affordability gave it five stars in this category.

Published on November 2017

I normally dont go out of my way to leave reviews but I think that this one is important. So many people who are looking for treatment are overwhelmed with crazy information all over the internet. When I decided to call His House, I was met with a genuine and honest voice. They weren't trying to sell me anything, they even said they'd help me find a program if I wasn't a good fit for theirs. Who does that? A good person does that. That's what His House is, an amazing place of recovery filled with love, support, and good people. Thanks to the whole team there. You guys are really changing this world by helping one person at a time.

It's tough to think of what I've been through, but landing here at His House's program helped me realize that my past is what helped me build strength to overcome my addiction. Thank you to every member of His House, and even my brothers I was in treatment with. Best wishes to you all!

Worked for Me!!! God First! Everything Else... Works Itself Out! Thank U His House!!!

I'm feeling like myself again and loving life! Thanks to his house staff and all the friends I made on my journey. You will always be a huge part of my recovery!

Thank you to His House. Great place to get sober and stay sober. They instilled me with a spiritual tool box that I use every day.

Great counseling. I found the classes to be effective and I am still sober today.

Awesome program that have me the tools I needed to begin leading a healthy and sober life.

I was in treatment at His House in early 2017. It's not the most perfect or most luxurious program, but they provided me with nearly everything I needed to recover. The counselors were supportive and helpful in helping me see how my addiction took the lead and nearly killed me. I was also able to learn how to look forward to what great things life may have in store for me now that I am clean and sober.

Got me sober, which I couldn’t do myself.

It was great learned alot and worked hard to fix my issues

"It was life changing. To this day i can still lean on friends and counselors from the program."

RH, thank you so much for leaving us your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you are keeping in touch with your team here, and wish you the very best as we approach the new year. Be well, keep up the great work, and please contact us any time!

His house Treament center is a very good rehab center I would recommend them to any one struggling with alcohol and drug addiction.

Certainly the contents and description of this website are far from the reality of the actual program which seems to mainly be supported by the Department of Corrections. There is NO medical detox program available, a 'half way house' is the best description for His House. I wonder if he has lost his original motivation and energy to help others and is more concerned about running a profitable business??

Kathy, thank you for your review and feedback. I need to point out that your review is reflecting our unique men's program created to serve those who are transitioning from the legal system, and NOT our private program (His House) which is represented on this profile. As many know, His House's network of programs do not discriminate those who are seeking help into recovery. This separate program you mentioned does in fact have a special approach and curriculum, focused around corrections, when compared to His House. I'd also like to mention that ALL of our program's meals are prepared by an on site chef and share equal accommodations, regardless of funding source. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us any time. Best wishes!

The staff at His House were great and the number of people I was there with made a huge difference compared to my only other experience with treatment which was very crowded. Thanks for caring so much guys, Jo

My experience with His House in July 2017 was nothing but great. It was exactly what my life needed to know life can get better with recovery. The support from staff and clients who were there when I arrived were so helpful and strong. I felt engaged the entire time. I've been to treatment once before and this time was totally different. Of course, do your research, but I see some negative comments below that I can't relate with and have a hard time believing. Thank you everybody at His House!

Don't go there it's a cruddy stay in a cruddy house of chores & rules you will have to follow that palace stunk resipie for failure nothing but read and follow rules no focus on your recovery ...I left after 2 days.

First and foremost, I am sober 9 months later, this was ultimately the goal and so for that I am grateful. The facility is a 100+ year old house in Upland, CA. It is passable, but not luxurious by any stretch. My biggest gripe here would be the used old mattresses and the worn blankets provided. The food, while I was there, to put it bluntly, was not good. For being in California, there was an extreme lack of fresh produce that should be the cornerstone of a healthy diet. There was plenty of food, the standard was just low. Most importantly, I would address those that are considering this facility. HisHouse is not a luxury facility, and you will be forced to work hard at your recovery. Youo will be made to feel uncomfortable. You will be forced to deal with emotions that are painful. THIS IS AS IT SHOULD BE. You are in the place you are in because you have not worked hard, you have not been uncomfortable, and you have not felt painful emotions. You used your DOC to deal with that stuff. Until YOU are ready to confront all the issues at hand, it does not matter what facility you go to, you will fail. I hope you are ready for the challenge. It has been worth every moment for me.

I've been in and out of treatment programs for about five years. My life really started going down hill the last year before coming to treatment. I have a 4 month old child and I thought he would help me stay sober, but I learned no one except me can keep myself sober. You have to want it. This program is not "rehab" It's treatment. I have never been anywhere comparable to this place, The staff really care, they don't tell you what to do... they ask you nicely. They are very caring respectful people. We leave the house and go do fun things all the time. Being in this program I've learned how to have fun in sobriety. I have also gained relationships with the clients that will hopefully be lifelong. This place is amazing. If you want to have a shot at being clean they will do everything in their power to show you how to do it.

Hi Caleb, Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at His House. It is so great to hear how well you're doing and how the program helped you get started on your journey. Please let us know if we can ever be of any help in your recovery.

I came to this place in April of 2016, and let me tell you this place is amazing! The staff is awesome they work so well with each case. The brothers in the house are also great. and the food let me tell you is just outta this world! I came into this in active addiction on meth and didn't think there could be any chance of getting my life back on the right track, but with the tools provided they taught me how to live sober, how to deal with everyday issues , and dealing with my anxiety was a great accomplishment. Please if you feel that your life could not get any better or get any worse come to this place. it will save your life, family, and your soul! . Thank you his house for giving my life,soul and family back. Wish you all the best of luck.

Hi Matthew! We appreciate you sharing your experience at His House. So happy to hear that you are doing so well. Please let us know if there is anything we can ever do to help you in your recovery.

My overall experience with His House was phenomenal and life changing. Before I found His House, I used to have a full-time job. I used to make a steady, comfortable income. I used to think I was living the life, working, partying, having friends, and a sense of family. I would partake in many party favors throughout my days and would never think it was because of them that would put me in the unfortunate situations that I would find myself in more often than I could account for. It would eventually lead me to losing that job, that income, and soon later my sense of self. I defined myself daily on what drugs I did that day, who I hung out to take them with and what did I sacrifice to get them. It was a daily suffering trying to find myself that next high, that next to thing to sell, steal, and constantly wondering how am I going to do it again tomorrow. After running out of things to sell, finding myself in a position of contemplating suicide or living on the streets I thought to myself, "This can not be it. I refuse to accept this as the end." Thus I came to deciding that it was time for me to go to check myself into rehab. It would be my first time and I sure was skeptical about it because I was always afraid of the stigma that society pins on people for those who get checked in. I didn't want to have that be attached to me the rest of my life. However, I was soon brought to an understanding that rehab wasn't a place that bad people go to get a reprieve in life, it was for sick people trying to get better. I initially committed myself for 30 days that once I was coming near to the end of that commitment I thought to myself there was much more I can gain from this program that I can use for the rest of my life. The staff were friendly and were always friendly and helped me out putting things into perspective. The food helped out feel comfortable and fill in the places where I lacked when I would choose drugs over food. The facility and accommodations made me feel like I was home. Today, I owe my life to His House. They have setup the foundation in my recovery that I get to stand on every day to suit up and show up. They have given me the self-confidence in myself that I never thought I had. They have given me another chance in life I didn't think I had.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience here! While we certainly know that we aren't perfect, our entire staff is 100% dedicated to recovery and guiding each and every person to a successful life of sobriety. I wanted to personally wish you well and let you know that we are always here for you. Don't forget to plug in to our Alumni Program!

I came to His House on February 13, 2016. I had been in treatment 8 times before and had convinced myself I had all the answers. Once I hit rock bottom and was willing to put the work in, His House was the place that gave me support, structure, and taught me the tools to implement that in my life. After 8 years of active addiction, I definitely needed all three desperately. The staff has given me opportunities to become the person that I wanted to be and live a productive life. I wasn't just another client. They dedicated their efforts and time to work with me on my underlying issues and ways to work through them. I honestly have nothing but respect and tremendous appreciation for everyone at His House. This is where my life really began, and I couldn't have done it without them.

Tim, thank you for sharing your journey. I am so happy to hear about your experience and I know this will help someone who comes across this site and reads it. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything we can ever do to help you in your recovery.

Im still clean. Im a walking miracle. I came into this place a hopeless junkie. I left with the necessary tools to overcome cravings and triggers. My experience was life changing. Without His House and their staff members I know that I would be dead or in jail.

Hi Ryan, So glad to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Wishing you lifelong recovery!

They were informative. Ready, willing to work with your insurance. Staff was efficient, helpful. Strengths: Works with health insurance. Men's treatment facility. Has in or out patient programs. Weaknesses: Some counselors seems to more attentive than others.

Hi Anonymous, So glad to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Wishing you lifelong recovery!

I am posting this not to slander but honestly hope someone will read this and think twice. there are much better facilities out there.. From the start I have had problems with this place. I have battled and battled with this place since day one. Most of the counselors barely have associates degrees and groups were a joke. The place was dirty...They are all about their money and absolutely nothing more...I don't want to see another soul waste their money and go through what I and a few others close to me have had to go through with this place. It honestly makes me sick.

Hi Cameron, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I know that we had many lengthy conversations where we tried to be of help to you. I want you to know that we did everything we could, including scholarships for you when you needed them. We love you and wish you well in your journey of recovery from addiction. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

The experience was a good one, although the program expanded in a major way as I was leaving, ultimately it was a program that got me sober and gave me a new lease on life. I like the community that gets built around the rehab. In fact, I moved to California after treatment there. There is a strict 12-step model, they have good intentions and the counselors care and have personal experience in conquering addiction. They have a 90 day program which allows for a much better foundation that 30 day programs. However, the facility can get a bit crowded, the food isn't the most nutritious or plentiful, they don't provide laundry soap and the beds need to be replaced.

Hi SM, I wanted to thank you directly for your feedback. We work hard to create a safe environment for all our clients during this critical time in their recovery. We aren’t always perfect, but we certainly always like to put our client’s safety and recovery first in all matters. Some situations are difficult to address, as you can imagine. Many of the things you mentioned have since been addressed because of your feedback. I wish you a solid and lifelong recovery. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance in your recovery journey.

Can't believe this place is still in the treatment business. It has poorly trained staff and extremely high turnover. The detox is right next to a liquor store, zero organization. Send your loved one somewhere else or do your research first.

Hi Roy, Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I’m sorry to hear that you might have had a poor experience, however I am wondering if this review was left on the correct facility. The reason I say that is because I am not aware of any liquor store next to our detox facility. While we certainly are not perfect, we have worked hard to provide quality treatment to thousands of people over the past 21 years. If there is anything we can do to be of assistance to you in your recovery journey, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.

This program saved my life...After four separate stints in rehab throughout the country I lost all faith in any program that could help someone as hopeless and desperate as me. This treatment center helped be work though my core issues and gave me the tools necessary to maintain a life of sobriety.

Hi JDK, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It’s always great to hear nice things from our wonderful alumni.

I cant thank this His House enough for all the support and the drive they've given me in treatment!

Hi John, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It’s always great to hear nice things from our wonderful alumni.

the call center was either uninformed or manipulative about several features.

Hi Aaron, Thank you for your valuable feedback. We really appreciate your insight so we can always be improving. Wishing you lifelong recovery!

it was good religion was forced a little but it was not necessary to complete treatment so that was good.

Hi Jonathon, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with our feedback. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in your recovery journey.

AWESOME!!!

Hi Matthew, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It’s always great to hear nice things from our wonderful alumni.

His house Merito House was a great treatment is a great place to get sober. The staff is great . One staff member in particular gave me more then I thought I could handle. I loved it tho because he would push me and teach me the ways on how to be and live a sober life. I would like to thank all the guys that was in the house also. Made some great life long friends.

Hi Chad, So glad to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Wishing you lifelong recovery!

I went to the Merrito house it was the worst place I could have ever went. ...The house manager was a joke he would never give you a straight answer.They treated us like we were children .The only good thing about the Merrito house was the cook...she was great.I don't recommend anyone to go there...

Hi Mark, Thank you for your valuable feedback. We really appreciate your insight so we can always be improving. Wishing you lifelong recovery!

I attended His House in 2013, aside from a few staff members who were great, a majority were horrible. The facility was filthy, unorganized, and the detox meds were handed out by un qualified staff. The patients pretty much did as they please with little consequence. Now, two years later...I'm still fighting with his house about my bill. They messed up my bill because His House is unorganized and money is there main concern. The men's facility is like a prison yard, no group trips, no pool, no massages, all that stuff on the website is from the women's facility. I'm saying this because if you want a quality treatment facility, look elsewhere. I did learn a lot here, but it is far from a secure, safe facility, it can work if you want it to, but don't count on his house to guarantee successful treatment Or help you after you leave when they messed up your insurance claim. Loved the cook, and 2 staff were great, caring, and decent people.

Hi Jesse, I wanted to thank you directly for your feedback. We work hard to create a safe environment for all our clients during this critical time in their recovery. We aren’t always perfect, but we certainly always like to put our client’s safety and recovery first in all matters. Some situations are difficult to address, as you can imagine. I wish you a solid and lifelong recovery. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance in your recovery journey.

It was the best thing I could have done. Everything was wonderful. However, there needs to be more one on one counseling.

Hi RH, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with our feedback. I really appreciate your insight and wanted to let you know that we are working harder every day to provide even better treatment for each client that comes to us for treatment. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in your recovery journey.

I believe this program has amazing potential. Strengths were the support and encouragement, utilizing insurance benefits and their 12-step model. Weaknesses were the individualized treatment and physical activity.

Hi AH, So glad to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Wishing you lifelong recovery!

Asana Recovery
  • 3:1 Staff to Client Ratio
  • On-site chef
  • On-site personal trainer
Restore Health & Wellness
  • Recoveryfit centers on the often-neglected PHYSICAL COMPONENT of recovery
  • 2 acre mansion, swimming pool, tennis, basketball and volleyball
  • Holistic treatment including On-site chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, and yoga.