Hope House - Laurel in Laurel, MD

419 Main Street
Laurel MD 20707

Hope House - Laurel Philosophy

At Hope House, individuals struggling with addiction are met with compassionate, confidential care that fits to each person’s individual needs and situation. For those in need of withdrawal assistance, Hope House offers detoxification services outside of a traditional hospital setting. For those seeking a short-term residential treatment, Hope House offers an intensive two to four week inpatient program, providing medical stabilization, psychiatric evaluation, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and medication as needed. Individuals requiring outpatient services are invited to partake in Hope House’s Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) as well.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Group Counseling

Individual Counseling

Educational Groups

ABOUT HOPE HOUSE - LAUREL

Located on a leafy, residential street in the small city of Laurel in western Maryland, Hope House offers a full spectrum of treatment for men and women struggling with substance use disorder. Treatment options include medical detox, positioning Hope House among the 3.6 percent of facilities in Maryland that offer detox in a residential setting, as well as short-term residential treatment and several levels of outpatient care, plus an alumni program.

Hope House also runs another residential and detox facility in Crownsville, 20 miles away. The centers are among the 35.7 percent of rehabs in Maryland that operate as private nonprofits.

Hope House offers a multidisciplinary program that draws from the 12-Steps as well as evidence-based practices. Clients who require detox typically spend between three and 10 days in the program, during which they receive medical evaluation, toxicology screening, medical monitoring, education, counseling, and help preparing for the next stage of treatment.

The residential program lasts approximately 30 days, with the precise length depending on the individual client's needs. Treatment begins with a comprehensive assessment, including a psychiatric assessment if required. Counseling is offered in individual and group settings utilizing cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), 12-step programming, educational classes, and relapse-prevention workshops.

Holistic options include acupuncture and support in integrating into the community. Hope House works with local church groups, civic associates, businesses, and individuals to provide alumni with healthy recreational activities to pursue after graduation.

Residential clients also receive medical care from a nursing and medical team, which offers medication-assisted treatment (MAT) using methadone, Suboxone, and Vivitrol, which are use at 17.3 percent, 40.6 percent, and 26.4 percent of Maryland facilities, respectively, among other medications.

The center also offers an intensive outpatient program (IOP) and standard outpatient care. An alumni program meets regularly and aims to help clients transition comfortably back into life in the community.

Staff includes a physician, nurses, master's-level and licensed counselors, and an addictions counselor. Hope House also has volunteers who lead 12-step groups and assist with meal preparation, recreational opportunities, and facility maintenance. The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff were impressed.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.3/5

Pictures on Hope House's website depict shared bedrooms, a games room, and a garden. Historic Downtown Annapolis and Baltimore's Inner Harbor are short car rides away. Transportation can be arranged, and families are welcome to visit on Saturdays from 1 to 3 p.m.

The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's accommodations indicated that it was clean, with good extracurricular activities.

Cleanliness: 4.4/5
Exercise and Leisure: 4.1/5

Of the eight alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date, seven gave positive feedback. The seven alumni polled on aspects of programming gave generally positive ratings.

Family Participation: 4.6/5
Holistic Offerings: 4.5/5
Counseling Options: 4.3/5

In their comments, alumni praised the compassionate, dedicated staff, and wrote that while the program was difficult, it was also effective and worthwhile. "The care was adequate, staff friendly, respectful, professional and caring for the most part ... From that perspective, they are doing a great job, I was given all the tools I needed. The rest is up to that individual, it only works if you work it," M.M. wrote in a representative comment.

In the single outright negative review from an alum, Brian complained of a dated facility, over-reliance on medications, and bad food. The facility responded, writing: "We have put one million dollars worth of upgrade in our building including new showers in all the rooms and new windows throughout the building."

Hope House has mostly positive feedback on secondary sites at the time of this writing, with a four out of five-star average rating based on 21 reviews on Google and two ratings for four and five stars on YellowPages.com.[1] [2]

The reviewers repeatedly noted how warm and welcoming they found the facility, and that staff had gone above and beyond for them. "My recovery journey started here and I couldn’t be more grateful. Every staff member made you feel welcomed and loved. Many of them could relate to my journey as well," Louise wrote in a representative review on Google.

However, Google also has four very negative reviews of Hope House in Laurel, most of which cite rude and unhelpful staff. "This rehab is awful. The staff is rude,disrespectful and unprofessional. They have no compassion and do not care about helping addicts," Andrea wrote in a representative review.

WHAT FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAY

All three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date gave negative feedback on Hope House in Laurel. Loved ones complained about unclean accommodations, a lack of activities, and a rushed discharge policy. Loved one A.M. wrote: "My son was discharged after a week b/c of Insurance problems, which I was not made aware of. Now, because he was not ready to be out, I am fighting day and night with him over temptations and coming home to poisonous environments."

Hope House Laurel accepts most private insurances and Maryland Medical Assistance (Medicaid). Self-pay is also an option. The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's cost were impressed.

Affordability: 4.5/5

[2] https://www.yellowpages.com/laurel-md/mip/hope-house-481358792

Published on October 2019

MM

After having graduated from hope house laurel, I feel it my responsibility to provide input pertaining to my experience there. First of all this IS a rehab, not a summer resort. By it's very nature, the experience I had was not at all pleasant which is part of the reason it was so effective. The care was adequate, staff friendly, respectful, professional and caring for the most part. More than anything it is my view that any rehabilitation program primarily purpose is to separate those suffering from addiction from the people/environment which had facilitated their addiction so as to allow that individual the opportunity to assess their life and decide if they are willing to change. No program has the ability to change those who are not willing, the very best that they can to is provide a safe place, providing information regarding the nature of the disease and what others have done to overcome it. From that perspective, they are doing a great job, I was given all the tools I needed. The rest is up to that individual, it only works if you work it. That's my experience, every last person I heard complain during my stay either had unrealistic expectations or was doing so to avoid addressing the problem....themselves. I even had some fun, overall great experience, saved my life and was lucky to have been there. No question about it. And I saw a comment about the food being worse than jail?? That person must have been to different jails than I, and I've been to just about all of em. The food was very good and even if it wasn't you are not there to drink fine wine and dine. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, everything is relative after all. But I will say that I would rather have bad food than be dead from a drug overdose......just a thought

Nika

I came to Hope House in Laurel in February 2017. It was my first time receiving treatment after 15 years of using. I loved it because when the staff spoke they were very personable. They went through it too. If you follow every thing they say. You will succeed dont go in there with a bad attitude they didn't do anything to you. Be open to everything they say. . I moved my environment to something better for me because they recommended it. Don't be close minded. With all of they're advice I will have a year next month. You have to want to be clean. Life is too short not to ger help. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone

K.O

I took my son to detox to this place Wednesday morning and around 10:30 pm I received the worst call a mother or father can received He passed away 😔 I’m waiting for the autopsy results As a family of a person who is addicted to drugs we want our family member to get well just be REALLY careful of the place you choose

Betty

They needed more variety. My son said it was just non-stop meetings. No real counseling. The people were very nice but something was just missing.

david

they really help i want to say thank you fr saving my life

jessica

hope is wonderful place the people are very caring and respectful

mike

i really like hope house the people are nice and friendly

james

it was nice the staff are kind people

brit

i loved it there .they really help me with my addiction problem

AM

I am EXTREMELY ANGRY WITH YOUR HOUSE!!!My son was discharged after a week b/c of Insurance problems, which I was not made aware of. Now, because he was not ready to be out, I am fighting day and night with him over temptations and coming home to poisonous environments..

We are dealing with Insurance Companies much more effectively than before. Our bottom line is the quality of service and they are beginning to recognize this.

Brian

The facility was built in the 1920s. No updates since, to either electrical or sewage. I was requested to do 14 day rehabilitation, I stayed nine days, and after being unable to take a shower for three days I walked out, which they said was \"against medical advice \", due to backed up toilets flooding the entire main level. Friendly staff, good intentions, not as much on delivery. Food , Was worse than jail food, and I have experience with both. This is an honest review from a personal experience, left with more prescriptions, went there to get off prescriptions. One out of five stars

We have put one million dollars worth of upgrade in our building including new showers in all the rooms and new windows throughout the building. Please come by and visit us. We are sorry that there was a break in service due to electrical power outage.