House of Hope - Salt Lake City

857 East 200 South, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84102

3.5

About House of Hope - Salt Lake City

House of Hope provides substance abuse treatment programs for women, pregnant women and mothers accompanied by children. Treatment options include residential programs, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient care, as well as day programs for children whose mothers are in treatment at the facility. Therapeutic services include 12-step groups, individual, group and family counseling, parenting classes, and relapse prevention training.

Residential Treatment

Outpatient

Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

• Relapse Prevention
  • Group Counseling
  • Parenting Skills Classes

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT HOUSE OF HOPE –– SALT LAKE CITY

House of Hope – Salt Lake City provides behavioral health services to women to help them rebuild their lives and strengthen their families. As such, the center treats women and mothers who are struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders through residential care, day treatment, and outpatient programming.

Established in 1946, the organization, which served more than 400 families last year, operates seven facilities in total, including another program in Provo, Utah. Within the state, House of Hope – Salt Lake City is one of 58 (24.3 percent) substance abuse treatment facilities in Utah operating as a private nonprofit, one of 65 (27.2 percent) that provides residential services, and one of 124 (51.9 percent) Utah treatment facilities with specially tailored programs for adult women.

House of Hope does not provide detox services. To be admitted, all clients must be free of drugs and alcohol for 72 hours, free of opiates for seven days, and free of benzodiazepines (e.g., Xanax and Valium) for 14 days. Prospective clients also must undergo a TB test and a general health screening prior to beginning treatment.

The treatment philosophy is based on the biopsychosocial model of addiction, which views addiction as a chronic disease. Programming draws upon 12-Step, which is used by 66.1 percent of Utah treatment facilities, and also includes a variety of treatment modalities, including group counseling, individual therapy, family counseling, and substance abuse education.

Workshops address parenting skills, relapse prevention, anger and stress management, and healthy living activities. Treatment also includes case management, and the length of stay in the residential programs depends on each client’s needs.

For the children of participating mothers, the Hope Center for Children offers programming that provides a structured therapeutic environment for children. Under the guidance of a case manager and a therapist, children are taught to self-regulate their emotions and engage in creative expression.

At the end of residential treatment, House of Hope’s aftercare and recovery support services help clients return to their daily lives. Clients may also may transition to the center’s day treatment or intensive outpatient program (IOP), which are conducted Monday through Friday.

At House of Hope, the treatment team includes substance abuse counselors, therapists, case managers, aftercare coordinators, and support staff. To date, the seven individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com offered mixed opinions concerning the facility's staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 3.6/5

House of Hope in Salt Lake City can house up to 44 women and 45 children through four residences it operates in the downtown area. Photos on the website indicate well-kept houses with bright and airy bedrooms, comfortable furnishings, and outdoor seating areas. To date, the seven individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com generally approved of the facility's upkeep.

Cleanliness: 4.1/5

At the time of this writing, the 10 former clients who reviewed House of Hope for Rehabs.com submitted mixed impressions of the facility: six positive, four negative. Positive reviewers praised the staff. Several alumni also highlighted the results they achieved. One alum wrote, “Helped me get clean,” while another reported: “I gained skills to be successful.” Alum S.B. added: “It’s great for women with children.”

Negative reviewers complained about lack of discipline, caring, and effectiveness, referring to it as a “revolving door” because of the prevalence of repeat clients, and warned people to “stay far away from this place.” Yet another, who was court-ordered to the facility, wrote: “This was one of the worst experiences with a treatment facility I have ever had.”

On secondary sites, House of Hope received positive coverage to date: 3.8 out of five stars based on four reviews on Google; and 4.8 stars based on the opinion of 16 people on Facebook, which the organization may manage. [1] [2] The positive reviewers (alumni, loved ones, unidentified) who left commentary with their ratings credited the facility for helping them turn their life around, such as five-star reviewer Jenny on Google, who wrote: “They gave me the tools needed to stay sober and be able to keep my baby with me while I learned to get and stay clean.”

The three loved ones who reviewed House of Hope for Rehabs.com to date, provided mixed viewpoints: one highly positive, one marginal, another negative. The positive anonymous reviewer gave perfect five-star ratings for holistic offerings, likelihood to recommend, and staff experience and training. They considered “authority and accommodations” among the strengths and wrote: “They are loving yet firm.” However, the negate reviewer wrote: “House of Hope is a waste of time and money.”

At the time of this writing, House of Hope accepts Medicaid, state-financed health insurance other than Medicaid, private health insurance, and military insurance, as well as cash or self-payment.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/houseofhope/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.5/5
    3.7/5
    3.6/5
    3.3/5

• M
    I am truely grateful for this program. I did the hard work and found myself , got m childrn back . I completed residential and Day treatment i had the most caring team the whole year i was here. I gained skills to be successful and i m so thankful.
  • MM
    House of Hope staff does not follow through with nothing. They have a therapist who does not care about the clients. The case manager do all the work. The bosses suck and only show up for trouble. Go to another place where you can get help.
  • K.F
    House of Hope is a waste of time and money if you want to help your loved ones Odyessy house is the program you want to go to forget the one that doesn't work (house of hope) .
    Treatment is an invidual responsibility. Some staff were knowledgeable. Most were not. Clean. Everything else minus a couple of staff members.
    Very great program. Comfortable, trusting, effective. This specific treatment center is kind of far from our home so after treatment is over it's hard to stay in touch.
  • JP
    this was one of the worst experiences with a treatment facility I have ever had I was court-ordered to the House of Hope unfortunately my case worker with probation wouldn't give me any other options but the House of Hope due to the fact that they have a special contract with them. All of the higher levels we're breaking rules had cell phones e-cigarettes my big sister who's supposed to teach you the rules just kind of left me sitting half the time I was standing around not knowing where I was supposed to be or what I should be doing I decided to leave through my ex boyfriend when he was notified by the staff I found out that you had eight days that they would hold your bed I tried getting back into the house of hope to be in compliance with court but my case manager and I don't see eye-to-eye and was not responding to make that worse neither did the House of Hope I emailed I called daily I showed up and they never seem to have time for me I'm an odyssey house graduate I would prefer Odyssey House over how many day they have the buddy system your buddy doesn't leave your side for the first few days so you learn the rulesat the House of Hope I stop by myself I felt discouraged everything was about parenting and I'm not able to get my daughter back this was definitely not the place for me and I had a horrible experience
  • KB
    This place is a joke. They're outlined treatment plans don't work and many of the women that go there are repeat clients. They don't hold to their disciplinary statues, they don't care about personal growth, they're a revolving door. Treatment plans are set to last 6 months to 1 year but most women are out after 2-3 months and aren't held to any outlining program details. They have little if no regard to clients families and no real intention on permanently helping clients...again a revolving door....I would stay far away from this place if you want real treatment DO NOT GO HERE!!!!
  • Ronda
    House of hope!! renamed the HOUSE OF NO HOPE
    Authority and accommodations were strengths of the facility. However, it was costly. They are loving yet firm.
    they were less expensive and had immediate openings. staff didn't seem as skilled or experienced, really basic, no extra offerings, food was really poor. rather than just reading online reviews (which we did since we were out of state), go visit treatment facilities, and really take time to look around and see everything first - that would make a huge difference.
  • Cynthia
    Great staff. However, it is not faith based. It is great. Thourough thought restructure.
  • SB
    HOH (House of Hope) is am amazing place for those wanting help. There is always someone there 24/7 if you need them treatment staff, house staff, etc. the day care facility does wonders with kids They teach you everything you need to be self sufficient within your daily life. The staff is the best It's great for women with children
  • CP