900 E Chester St
Jackson TN 38301

JACOA Philosophy

The Jackson Area Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency (JACOA) is licensed by the State of Tennessee, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, to provide Alcohol and Drug Residential Rehabilitation treatment (41 beds), Alcohol and Drug Non-Residential Rehabilitation Treatment (IOP) and Alcohol and Drug DUI School Services. JACOA offers a complete continuum of care, is co-occurring capable (CODC), and serves all of the counties in West Tennessee, and it will also accept service recipients from any county across the State of Tennessee.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Aftercare Services

Early Intervention Program

Weekly Family Group Counseling

ABOUT JACOA

JACOA (the Jackson Area Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency) is a nonprofit organization that serves communities in and around Jackson, Tenn., about 90 minutes east of Memphis. The state-licensed organization treats adult men and women struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders, offering a residential unit for adults, an intensive outpatient (IOP) program, transitional and permanent housing, aftercare, early intervention, and DUI classes. Treatment for co-occurring disorders is also available, and this facility is particularly active in treating the local homeless population.

Treatment at JACOA combines the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous with evidence-based practices. Among the center’s founding principles is that “a variety of treatment methods and approaches must be used and the program must be flexible in order to meet the treatment needs of each service recipient.”

Specifically, the organization makes use of the Hazelden Living in Balance curriculum and runs a program for co-occurring disorders that includes private and group therapy, life skills development, and education on addiction and recovery. Residents also attend both in-house and off-site 12-step meetings.

Offering a similar curriculum of psychoeducational lectures and life skills, JACOA’s IOP track meets Monday through Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. for a total of 32 sessions. Additional treatment services include weekly family group counseling, weekly aftercare, drug testing services, and a monthly DUI education class that makes use of the Prime for Life curriculum.

The treatment team includes registered and licensed practical nurses (LPNs) and licensed alcohol and drug abuse counselors.

JACOA offers the following options for accommodations: a co-ed residential facility, gender-separate transitional housing for men and women, and permanent housing for homeless men and women in active recovery. To be eligible for Montgomery Hall, the transitional program for men, applicants must have completed a 28-day residential program within six months of entry.

Collectively, the 10 Rehabs.com survey respondents polled on the matter gave the organization average ratings of 3.9 and 4.1 out of five stars, respectively, for its accommodations and quality of meals.

Each of the seven alumni polled by Rehabs.com gave JACOA positive feedback, praising the program for its solid treatment and compassionate staff. In two representative reviews, Melinda credited the facility with helping her discover a life she “never knew was possible” and reviewer S.P. wrote: “They really care and take time with you to make sure you are getting what you need.”

The only suggestion for improvement came from an anonymous alum who noted that no meditation, yoga, or relaxation exercises were offered.

Of the three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date, two shared positive feedback for the organization’s effective program and highly qualified staff, described by one as “passionate, compassionate, empathetic.” “JACOA is a wonderful program to attend,” this reviewer wrote. “They have an awesome team of professionals who really want to help and see you succeed.”

Yet G.W., the third reviewer, didn’t feel safe leaving his wife there, claiming that they weren’t told “that the facility is located in a very unsafe part of Jackson, Tennessee.” In retrospect, G.W. felt misled by the facility from quite an early point in their family’s dealings with the organization. “We were told upon admission she would only be responsible for a small amount upon completion but this was a lie… It is a joke and I’d never recommend this place to anyone.”

Except for noting a limited number of beds, a staff member celebrated JACOA for its “Well trained and compassionate workers,” each of whom demonstrate a “high level of dedication to rehab and personal experience to help connect and identify with the issue.”

At this time, JACOA also accepts Blue Care TN, United Healthcare TN Care, and Amerigroup TN Care.

Published on June 2017

Jacob is a great place to go if you want to get yourself better great staff that will be there when you need them excellent place to get help if your ready to live a better life

JACOA IS AN AWESOME PLACE. THE FOOD WAS GREAT AND THE STAFF WAS THE MOST LOVING AND CARING PEOPLE YOU EVER WILL MEET IN A RECOVERY CENTER. THEY HELPED SAVE MY LIFE, BUT MOST OF ALL THEY LOVED ME UNTIL I LEARNED TO LOVE MYSELF. THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF YALL ARE THE BEST

My wife went through treatment here. What they don't tell you when call for help is that the facility is located in a very unsafe part of Jackson, Tennessee. I didn't feel good leaving my wife there. They are very disorganized. The staff while caring spends much time in their offices with their coworkers talking and aren't available for the residents. They were unwilling to address my wife's food allergies and don't offer alternative choices for eating. There was no communication between myself and the counselor assigned my wife. I called 17 times and never received a return call. The facility itself is run down and dirty. It looks like it hasn't been updated since the 70's. My wife was miserable while there and the men and women sleep on the same hall. They have no janitorial staff the residents of the program are responsible for cleaning, mopping, and dusting. By God's grace my wife has been sober for 2 years but not until she attended treatment at Cumberland Heights in Nashville. This program did nothing for her but leave us in debt. We were told upon admission she would only be responsible for a small amount upon completion but this was a lie. Someone needs to tell the truth about this place. It is a joke and I'd never recommend this place to anyone.

Not judgemental, very supportive team, passionate, compassionate, empathetic. JACOA is a wonderful program to attend. They have an awesome team of professionals who really want to help and see you succeed.

Well trained and compassionate workers with evidence based treatment. Number of beds available was small. I have met with workers and facilities and they show a high level of dedication to rehab and personal experience to help connect and identify with the issue.

There are good counselors and group therapy. However, there is no meditation or yoga or relaxation exercises. I liked the group therapy and games. the food and nutrition is good.

JACOA HAS AN AWESOME PROGRAM, KEEP IT SIMPLE AND DOWN TO THE BASICS!!! IF YOU ARE IN NEED FOR HELP IN THIS AREA, JACOA IS THE PLACE TO BE!!! THE STAFF AT JACOA CALLED ME ON MY BS AND HELPED ME WHEN I NEEDED HELP, WITHOUT THEM I DONT THINK I WOULD BE ALIVE TODAY!!! 20 YRS LATER I STILL SEND PEOPLE TO JACOA IN JACKSON TN. THANKS JACOA FOR HELPING SAVE THIS DRUNKS LIFE. SHAWN.

Working with patients was a strength of the facility.

They really care and take time with you to make sure you are getting what you need. Its a great program if your ready I would do it again.

We had classes constantly.

I turned 44 years old while in treatment and really thought I was too old to change. I had went so far down that I didn't believe change was even possible. I had truly given up on myself and life in genera;. Rehab didn't "give me my life back", it gave me a life I never knew was possible. I learned and continue to learn so much about myself, what makes me tick, what makes me feel good inside and proud of myself. I fell I have a gigantic ego with little to no self-esteem when I got there. In treatment, I "dried" out and were given the tools to learn how to live. How to life a life without alcohol and drugs. A life I can be content with and proud of. I can lift my head up and look folks in the eye today. No, I don't work The Program perfectly, but it's all about progress, not perfection. I have to remain honest and willing to change always. Some days the only thing I feel that I've done right, is not drink or do drugs. I make lots of mistakes but nothing even closely compared to the mistakes I used to make! I do have new life. I am a contributing member of society. I am a good person. God does have a purpose for me (somedays I'm not sure what) I don't always know what to do- but I do know what not to do and life just gets better and better~one day at a time.

Oxford Treatment Center