Janus of Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz, CA

200 7th Avenue, Suite 150
Santa Cruz CA 95062

Janus of Santa Cruz Philosophy

Janus of Santa Cruz provides a comprehensive range of substance abuse treatment services to chemically dependent men and women struggling with addiction. Services provided include medically supervised detoxification, residential treatment, intensive outpatient treatment (IOP), day treatment, DUI programs, and more. Janus specializes in opiate addiction treatment and offers methadone and buprenorphine medication assistance for lasting recovery.

• Intensive Outpatient (IOP)
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

Peer Recovery Support

Recovery Education

Family Program

Dr. Bill Morris

Medical Director

I’ve been with Janus since October of 2003 and am certified to prescribe methadone and buprenorphine. My professional background covers many years of study and experience, including a two-year residency at Johns Hopkins and working in Puerto Rico and Jamaica. The best part of being at Janus is working with the people here and I can attest to the fact that the collaborative approach to providing this treatment really works. I would like any person struggling with the many challenges of drug or alcohol addiction to remember that this is an illness, not a moral weakness. We’re here to treat your illness, just like we would diabetes or cancer.

Cecilia Krebs

Deputy Director - Programs

In my role as deputy Director-Programs I manage The Community Clinic (methadone) as well as the Recovery Programs which include sub-acute detoxification, residential and day treatment and intensive outpatient. I’ve been the Program Director of the Janus Community Clinic since 2006, and am a Certified Addictions R.N. and Psychiatric Nurse. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to offer all of our patients the possibility of freedom from their addiction, to raise happy and healthy children, go to school, regain dignity, be happy. It takes courage to make the decision to decrease or eliminate the use of a substance that has filled your needs and been a part of your life. We understand that. We’re here to support and encourage, not judge or demand.

ABOUT JANUS OF SANTA CRUZ

Janus of Santa Cruz, located south of San Francisco, offers a co-ed or a women-only perinatal program, day treatment, an intensive outpatient (IOP) program, and sober living homes for adults struggling with chemical dependency or co-occurring disorders. Medical detoxification services are offered on-site and court-ordered educational courses are available for DUI offenders.

Treatment begins with a chemical dependency assessment to determine the most appropriate level of care. If detoxification is necessary, clients are referred to the 28-day residential program to assuage sub-acute withdrawal symptoms. Clients recovering from opiate/opioid dependency may be prescribed a medication-assisted therapy regimen, such as methadone or buprenorphine, to minimize the discomfort of withdrawal and help curb opioid cravings.

Evidence-based treatment incorporates group and individual counseling, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and motivational interviewing (MI) techniques. Clients also participate in recovery education, electroencephalogram bio-feedback, relapse prevention classes, skills development workshops, a family program, and aftercare planning. Clients also have the opportunity to attend on-site 12-step meetings.

Along with evidence-based treatment approaches, Janus also incorporates a range of holistic treatments into programming, including weekly Qigong sessions, bi-weekly yoga classes, acupuncture, and art therapy. Residence also enjoy regular excursions to the beach, gym, and hiking outings.

Janus of Santa Cruz also offers a number of outpatient-based treatment programs, including three flexible day treatment programs: a co-ed program for men and women, a women’s-only program, and a less-intensive afternoon program. In addition, the facility offers an intensive outpatient (IOP) program, which includes nine hours of weekly treatment, as well as a lifetime aftercare program for program alumni, which meets once per week.

Lifetime Aftercare Groups are available to anyone completing treatment.

CARF-accredited, Janus of Santa Cruz employs a multidisciplinary staff comprised of physicians experienced in addiction medicines, certified alcohol and drug counselors, licensed therapists, program directors, and a DUI program director.

The facility’s website describes accommodations as having “a supportive, safe and comfortable environment.” The women’s-only perinatal program houses children up to the age of three and offers on-site childcare. Official photographs show lounges with open seating, a bedroom with a twin bed, and a dining room.

Clients have access to a nearby gym, a swimming program, and hiking trails.

The nine former clients polled by Rehabs.com approved of most areas of the facility. The six alums polled on staff's experience and training awarded an average of four out of five stars. “Staff really want to help the clients. They don't give up on you no matter how many times you've relapsed,” alum C.P.K. wrote.

One anonymous alum gave a one-star rating for the facility's holistic programming options and wrote: “The counseling was great..they helped with care and sterness.” Another anonymous alum agreed, offering a rating of four stars for the facility’s individual counseling, writing: “Had been there before and it helped me to get back involved with sober living.”

The four loved ones polled by Rehabs.com had mixed opinions concerning the facility. Although most individuals generally appreciated the facility, some family members questioned and the facility’s commitment to aftercare and billing practices — or an apparent lack thereof. “When talking about cost, it felt like I was being pressured into paying the complete cost. I was not told there was a way to finance the treatment,” one family member wrote.

Describing Janus as having “a very supportive environment,” G.M. wrote: “They genuinely had his (client’s) well being in mind with every step.” Echoing this opinion, Greg, a parent of a client, added: "I closely followed our son during his lengthy treatment at Janus. We found it to be an excellent organization with very caring people.”

According to its website, Janus accepts most insurance plans and offers discounts for low-income clients. A sliding pay scale is available based on income level for self paying clients. Many of the facility’s programs are also Medi-Cali billable, however, private insurance does not cover DUI programs.

Published on February 2018

JL

My son was living on the streets and using hard drugs. I called Janus treatment center and was told that they possibly could open up a bed for my son. I was quoted over the phone on my way to check my son in that the cost was $3000.00 for Detoxing. Once I got to Janus and checked my son in I was given papers to sign, if I wanted him to stay. I did not receive copies of what I signed. I was not really in the mood to read papers as I was trying to save my sons life. About a month later I received a bill for $4000.00 and when I challenged the charge I was sent in to a collection company. I offer to pay the $3000.00 as I was quoted. No one will give me copies of what I signed or talk with me. My sons care was terrible and drugs had been being used by staff as my son was in the center. There was really no help for my son as he recovered, the one counselor assigned to the Detox unit gave little time to the people recovering. after treatment my son was kicked to the curb, with no game plan to help him. I am still willing to pay the quoted charge of $3000.00 but it was really a waist.

TMML

My son just checked in today. I wanted an update this evening and have tried to contact everyone I\'m aware of, unsuccessfully. I left v-mails and still no return call. This is not a good sign on Day 1.

Friendly Mixed issues of clients The rehab was ok. I think they have changed some since I was acquainted with them.

The counseling was great..they helped with care and sterness They needed better food Beautiful scenery and the fresh ocean air was very nice

They were there to help, and show you new tools to apply to your recovery. They weren't to sure how to deal with mental illness patients or how to allow there medications around other people's addictive personalities It's been a few years since I was there and I know they have done some approvments.

Staff was calm and respectful

Greg

I closely followed our son during his lengthy treatment at Janus. We found it to be an excellent organization with very caring people. They worked hard to work with our insurance company. The counselors and staff were professional and caring. It\'s not a luxury rehab. But the program, materials, and people felt very solid.

GLM

They therapists were genuine and it was obvious that we weren't just another set.of faces. I was welcomed into sessions and kept informed of what was happening medically. They genuinely had his well being in mind with every step. Strengths: Including the spouse, ensuring that the patient was comfortable with their therapist. They didn't have a lot of excessive rules to keep the patient on edge. It was a very supportive environment for everyone involved. Weaknesses: With Limited insurance acceptance payment plans would be nice, they worked with us, but it was still a struggle for us to afford treatment. Not many other weaknesses. We loved the place and still speak very highly of it.

Strengths: Staff, aftercare Weaknesses: Too far from my home to stay connected.

Beautiful outside. However, did not supply adequate aftercare. When talking about cost, it felt like I was being pressured into paying the complete cost. I was not told there was a way to finance the treatment.

after treatment was inconsistent or nil. Ask questions. This should apply to any re-hab you check out. Try to get them to outline the after the 30 days. What do they offer.

I have had family and friends that had went to this rehab and they had great results and recommendations.

CPK

Staff really want to help the clients. They don't give up on you no matter how many times you've relapsed. Much respect to Janus.

Had been there before and it helped me to get back involved with sober living.