Janus of Santa Cruz

200 7th Avenue, Suite 150, Santa Cruz, California, 95062

3.6

About Janus of Santa Cruz

Janus of Santa Cruz provides a comprehensive range of substance abuse treatment services to chemically dependent men and women struggling with addiction. Services provided include medically supervised detoxification, residential treatment, intensive outpatient treatment (IOP), day treatment, DUI programs, and more. Janus specializes in opiate addiction treatment and offers methadone and buprenorphine medication assistance for lasting recovery.

Intensive Outpatient (IOP)

Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

Residential Treatment

• Peer Recovery Support
  • Recovery Education
Dr. Bill Morris

Dr. Bill Morris

Medical Director

I’ve been with Janus since October of 2003 and am certified to prescribe methadone and buprenorphine. My professional background covers many years of study and experience, including a two-year residency at Johns Hopkins and working in Puerto Rico and Jamaica. The best part of being at Janus is working with the people here and I can attest to the fact that the collaborative approach to providing this treatment really works. I would like any person struggling with the many challenges of drug or alcohol addiction to remember that this is an illness, not a moral weakness. We’re here to treat your illness, just like we would diabetes or cancer.

Show Bio
Cecilia Krebs

Cecilia Krebs

Deputy Director - Programs

In my role as deputy Director-Programs I manage The Community Clinic (methadone) as well as the Recovery Programs which include sub-acute detoxification, residential and day treatment and intensive outpatient. I’ve been the Program Director of the Janus Community Clinic since 2006, and am a Certified Addictions R.N. and Psychiatric Nurse. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to offer all of our patients the possibility of freedom from their addiction, to raise happy and healthy children, go to school, regain dignity, be happy. It takes courage to make the decision to decrease or eliminate the use of a substance that has filled your needs and been a part of your life. We understand that. We’re here to support and encourage, not judge or demand.

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT JANUS OF SANTA CRUZ

Janus of Santa Cruz, located south of San Francisco, offers residential and outpatient treatment for adults struggling with substance use disorder. The facility also provides medical detox, which is service offered by just eight percent of non-hospital residential treatment centers in the U.S.

Treatment begins with a chemical dependency assessment to determine the most appropriate level of care. Clients struggling with opioid dependency may be prescribed medication-assisted therapy (MAT) such as methadone or buprenorphine to minimize the discomfort of withdrawal and help curb opioid cravings.

Evidence-based treatment incorporates group and individual counseling, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and motivational interviewing (MI) techniques. Clients also have the opportunity to attend on-site 12-step meetings, as well as participate in holistic activities such as Qigong sessions, yoga classes, and acupuncture.

Janus of Santa Cruz is also among the 23 percent of facilities in the country to provide treatment to pregnant or postpartum women through its residential perinatal program. Outpatient options include day treatment, which is available in just 14 percent of facilities in the country, an intensive outpatient (IOP) program, as well as services for DUI clients. Lifetime aftercare groups are available to anyone completing treatment.

CARF-accredited, Janus of Santa Cruz employs a multidisciplinary staff of physicians experienced in addiction medicines, along with certified alcohol and drug counselors and licensed therapists. To date, the nine individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter generally appreciated the facility's staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 3.9/5

The facility’s website describes accommodations as offering “a supportive, safe and comfortable environment.” The women’s-only perinatal program houses children up to the age of three and offers on-site childcare, which is a service available in just 5.8 percent of facilities nationwide.

Clients have access to a nearby gym, a swimming program, and hiking trails.To date, the nine individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter approved of the facility's upkeep, though eight gave lower average ratings concerning activity options.

Cleanliness: 3.9/5
Exercise and Leisure: 3.3/5

The majority of former clients polled by Rehabs.com to date (six out of nine) gave Janus of Santa Cruz positive feedback. They indicated that they would recommend the rehab to others and noted that staff were knowledgeable and caring, indicated by five alumni survey ratings. "Staff really want to help the clients. They don't give up on you no matter how many times you've relapsed," an anonymous alum wrote in a representative review.

Staff Experience and Training: 4/5
Would Recommend: 4/5

The most common complaint from the three alumni who offered mixed feedback was a lack of aftercare. In addition, the five alumni polled on the matters gave lower average ratings concerning elements of programming.

Counseling Options: 3.2/5
Holistic Offerings: 2.6/5

Janus of Santa Cruz earned one five-star rating from Nicholas on Google[1], though no commentary was left. In addition, the facility received a 4.1 out of five star rating based on the opinions of 17 individuals on Facebook, which the facility may manage[2].

At the time of this writing, the four loved ones polled by Rehabs.com offered mixed feedback Two reported positive experiences and indicated that family were included in the treatment process. "They therapists were genuine and it was obvious that we weren't just another set.of faces. I was welcomed into sessions and kept informed of what was happening medically," G.L.M. wrote in a review representative of positive feedback. The two other reviewers complained about money issues and a lack of responsiveness from staff.

Family Participation: 4/5
Would Recommend: 3.8/5
Counseling Options: 2.8/5

According to its website, Janus accepts most insurance plans and offers discounts for low-income clients. A sliding pay scale is available based on income level for self paying clients. Many of the facility’s programs are also Medi-Cali billable, however, private insurance does not cover DUI programs. To date, the nine individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter gave mixed opinions concerning the facility's cost.

Affordability: 3.6/5

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/janus.sc/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Accreditations & Licenses
  • ADP
  • CARF
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.6/5
    3.5/5
    3.8/5
    3.6/5

• JL
    My son was living on the streets and using hard drugs. I called Janus treatment center and was told that they possibly could open up a bed for my son. I was quoted over the phone on my way to check my son in that the cost was $3000.00 for Detoxing. Once I got to Janus and checked my son in I was given papers to sign, if I wanted him to stay. I did not receive copies of what I signed. I was not really in the mood to read papers as I was trying to save my sons life. About a month later I received a bill for $4000.00 and when I challenged the charge I was sent in to a collection company. I offer to pay the $3000.00 as I was quoted. No one will give me copies of what I signed or talk with me. My sons care was terrible and drugs had been being used by staff as my son was in the center. There was really no help for my son as he recovered, the one counselor assigned to the Detox unit gave little time to the people recovering. after treatment my son was kicked to the curb, with no game plan to help him. I am still willing to pay the quoted charge of $3000.00 but it was really a waist.
  • TMML
    My son just checked in today. I wanted an update this evening and have tried to contact everyone I\'m aware of, unsuccessfully. I left v-mails and still no return call. This is not a good sign on Day 1.
    Friendly Mixed issues of clients The rehab was ok. I think they have changed some since I was acquainted with them.
    The counseling was great..they helped with care and sterness They needed better food Beautiful scenery and the fresh ocean air was very nice
    They were there to help, and show you new tools to apply to your recovery. They weren't to sure how to deal with mental illness patients or how to allow there medications around other people's addictive personalities It's been a few years since I was there and I know they have done some approvments.
    Staff was calm and respectful
  • Greg
    I closely followed our son during his lengthy treatment at Janus. We found it to be an excellent organization with very caring people. They worked hard to work with our insurance company. The counselors and staff were professional and caring. It\'s not a luxury rehab. But the program, materials, and people felt very solid.
  • GLM
    They therapists were genuine and it was obvious that we weren't just another set.of faces. I was welcomed into sessions and kept informed of what was happening medically. They genuinely had his well being in mind with every step. Strengths: Including the spouse, ensuring that the patient was comfortable with their therapist. They didn't have a lot of excessive rules to keep the patient on edge. It was a very supportive environment for everyone involved. Weaknesses: With Limited insurance acceptance payment plans would be nice, they worked with us, but it was still a struggle for us to afford treatment. Not many other weaknesses. We loved the place and still speak very highly of it.
    Strengths: Staff, aftercare Weaknesses: Too far from my home to stay connected.
    Beautiful outside. However, did not supply adequate aftercare. When talking about cost, it felt like I was being pressured into paying the complete cost. I was not told there was a way to finance the treatment.
    after treatment was inconsistent or nil. Ask questions. This should apply to any re-hab you check out. Try to get them to outline the after the 30 days. What do they offer.
    I have had family and friends that had went to this rehab and they had great results and recommendations.
  • CPK
    Staff really want to help the clients. They don't give up on you no matter how many times you've relapsed. Much respect to Janus.