Joseph S. Massie Unit in Cumberland, MD

10102 SE Country Club Road
Cumberland MD 21502

Joseph S. Massie Unit Philosophy

The Joseph S. Massie Unit provides comprehensive, high quality addictions treatment to individuals who are chemically dependent or abuse chemicals, and their significant others. We work cooperatively with our community in achieving our purpose. The Joseph S. Massie Unit is a multi-modality treatment facility for adults experiencing the devastating effects of alcoholism and other chemical dependency. The Unit provides comprehensive, high quality treatment to individuals and their significant others.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

Group Counseling

Family Counseling

Individual Counseling

ABOUT JOSEPH S. MASSIE UNIT

Located in Cumberland, Md., The Allegany County Health Department’s Joseph S. Massie Unit provides treatment to adults struggling with substance use, mental health disorders, or co-occurring disorders. It is one of the 24 (6.2 percent) of Maryland treatment centers that offers short-term, residential care.

According to The Allegany County Health Department's website, upon admission, clients receive medical and psychiatric assessments for treatment planning, along with medical care and nutritional therapy. While treatment is individualized, clients enrolled in the holistic, residential program typically stay 21 days.

Treatment plans may include individual, family, and group counseling, vocational counseling. HIV testing and counseling, alcohol and drug education, nutritional services, psychiatric evaluation, aftercare planning, gambling assessment and counseling, family education, and alternative pain management counseling.

Clients receive additional support through referrals to appropriate outpatient facilities, assistance with legal obligations, and HIV testing and counseling. All program graduates have access to follow-up appointments with the unit’s staff three times in the year following discharge.

The treatment team consists of consulting psychiatrists, licensed and certified alcohol and drug counselors, nurse practitioners, and a certified therapeutic recreation specialist. The three individuals polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave five out of five stars for the staff's support.

The Joseph S. Massie Unit is tobacco-free; however, smoking cessation assistance is provided. On-site amenities include a fitness center with a weight training system and transportation to and from the facility for recreational activities. The four people polled by Rehabs.com on accommodations and amenities gave high ratings.

4.75/5 accommodations & amenities

The three alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided high ratings and positive commentary for Joseph S. Massie Unit. Each alumni highlighted the quality of the treatment staff, characterizing team members as helpful, supportive, and caring.

Alum B.B. also wrote that the personal experience of facility leaders in recovery was "great." Brian, who reported having sought treatment twice and being welcomed without judgment, wrote that clients would need to "do the work" for treatment to be effective.

To date, the six people to leave reviews for Allegany County Addictions Services (Joseph S Massie Unit) on CiteHealth gave an average of 2.83 out of five stars and mixed feedback.[1] Some alumni mentioned kind and professional staff, and others called them rude.

The four loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com to date provided mostly positive commentary. The two parents polled by Rehabs.com offered favorable reviews. Ruth wrote that her son "loved everyone there" and L.S. rated the effectiveness of treatment for their daughter four out of five stars.

"The Massie Unit staff and program saved my daughter's life. They reached her when nothing or no one else could," a loved one wrote in a representative review.

Dave, also a client's parent, submitted a tentatively positive review on Yellowpages.com, reporting that the treatment program "seemed to have helped my daughter with her meth addiction."[2]

However, a parent on Citehealth complained about communication problems.

The facility's website notes that insurance covers treatment for most clients, and that it is one of the 208 (54 percent) of Maryland treatment centers that offers a sliding fee scale for those with a demonstrated need.

[1] https://citehealth.com/rehab-centers/maryland/cities/cumberland/allegany-county-addictions-services-based-at-10102-southeast-country-club-road-thomas-b-finan-center-cottage-4
[2] https://www.yellowpages.com/cumberland-md/mip/joseph-s-massie-unit-451793725

Published on September 2018

I was very scared at first. I was treated with respect and felt as if the program was truly designed to help me. I felt as if the staff was listening to me and constantly working on my goal plan. I was very educated and given tools to help recognize my addiction the triggers and steps to maintain and over come any set backs that I become faced with. I made some friends in and out of the program . And have a life long support network. This program is a good program but like anything you do positive in life you will have to want it and at some point shut up listen.. Thank you to all the staff at Massie..

I was trying to get into the program I was 100% honest and he calls me back and said bc of My health I didn’t fit The criteria and he thought I should commit myself into the hospital well first off my health is fine he nvr heard a word I said he was very rude and like I said nvr heard a word that I said

The Massie Unit staff and program saved my daughter's life. They reached her when nothing or no one else could. Introducing her to NA/AA meetings was the greatest help to her. She is now on the cusp of one year of being clean of heroin. I am eternally grateful to the staff for helping my daughter and our family.

My Husband was here on this facility last year. I went to visit him one time and everything looked good at first!. This people doesn't have enough vigilance on them. . It is really sad that you think they are there to recover but while they are there they make fun of the therapists and whoever is watching them. I think they should have more vigilance with the inmates. now my husband is back there unfortunately. I just called to see if my husband is still there and This lady pretty much hang out on me. I think if you want to help a person, you should talk to the other side of the coin. They only say what u want to hear. For a complete recovery there must be a family therapies and u may find the problem. That is why they leave the center and return in months. How many times u listen in the radio or tv that addiction affect the whole family and for them to change the family have to participate and change too, but I don't see family meetings, therapies, I don't see the families getting involve. That should be mandatory not an option. They are manipulators and of course don't want families involved so they don't need to face the reality. I hope one day all this recovery system change and get more serious.

I can not say enough about this facility they were great very friendly and my son Bobby loved everyone there want mention one woman in particular, she was wonderfull

This was my first time in treatment and I was very afraid and did not know what to expect. Everyone was very kind and helpful/supportive. I also was very sick upon arrival there with some other medical conditions which they took care of.

I was at the Massie unit twice. They opened there doors to me with open arms when I relapsed. I highly recommend the program. The staff really cares about the well being of the clients. The program does work if you work it. You just have to be willing to accept the help that is offered. I look forward to returning to The Massie Unit and attending a meeting in the future. It was definitely a life changing experience for me. Thank you to each and every staff member. You helped me begin to live life again, and be grateful for the things I have.

Great place to get treatment. People are very nice there. Helped my daughter a lot.

It was great, run by people in recovery, so they understood.