Keystone Substance Abuse Services in Rock Hill, SC

Call (803) 324-1800 to Contact Keystone Substance Abuse Services

199 S. Herlong Avenue
Rock Hill SC 29732

Keystone Substance Abuse Services Philosophy

Our mission is: Promoting health, offering hope, and restoring healing to those impacted by substance abuse and addiction. Keystone envisions a society where substance abuse is recognized as a complex public health issue that can be positively impacted through prevention, intervention, and treatment. In establishing a recovery-oriented system of care we strive to expand partnerships with the medical community; increase service accessibility and demographic reach; generate economic development; decrease costs of both health care and criminal justice; and improve the quality of life of individuals, families and community.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Largest Provider of Treatment and Prevention Services in York County, SC

2016 Award Winner for Nonprofit Excellence presented by the SC Association of Nonprofit Organizations

Young Adult Program for Ages 18 to 25

Susan Fitzpatrick

Assistant Director

Susan has served Keystone since 1994, with responsibilities increasing from a part time consultant to Director of Finance and Operations, and now her current position as Assistant Director. Susan earned a Bachelor’s of Business Administration in Accounting from the University of Texas at Austin in 1985 and became a Certified Public Accountant in 1987. Her specialization in non-profit accounting began during her tenure with Ernst & Young offices in Houston, Cincinnati and Charlotte, NC. Susan received a Certificate in Non-Profit Management in 2006 from Winthrop University and is known throughout South Carolina for her expertise in business management of substance abuse treatment organizations.

Janet Faulkner Martini

Executive Director

Janet is a native of York County and received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Winthrop College in 1989 and a Master of Education degree from Clemson University in 1991. In recent years Janet completed a certificate program in Non-Profit Management, completed the Bell Leadership Institute Advanced Achievement Leadership Program in Chapel Hill, NC and was recently commissioned as a SC Palmetto Patriot by Lt. Governor Andre Bauer. She holds certification as a Certified Addictions Counselor II, licensure as a SC Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor and National Certified Counselor. She began her career in the substance abuse field in 1991 at Keystone. Janet worked in the for-profit substance abuse field and returned to Keystone in 1998 as Keystone's Treatment Director. In 1999, Janet became Keystone's fifth Executive Director in its history of serving the community since the late 1960's.

ABOUT KEYSTONE SUBSTANCE ABUSE SERVICES

Located in Rock Hill, S.C., Keystone Substance Abuse Services is a nonprofit organization that offers a full continuum of care options for adult men and women struggling with addiction and co-occurring disorders. These include intervention, day treatment for women, gender-specific treatment for both men and women, intensive outpatient (IOP) programming for youth., as well as on-site medical detox.

Upon admission, clients go through biopsychosocial and nursing assessments to develop an individual plan of care (IPOC). Priority space is reserved for pregnant women, IV drug users, and HIV-positive individuals.

There are two inpatient options available: a detox unit and a residential program for pregnant women. Though length of stay depends on the substance and clinical need, clients in either medical or social level detox receive 24-hour staff supervision. The residential program for pregnant women provides prenatal care, and the facility’s website notes that over 100 drug-free babies have been born since the program’s inception in 1998.

Outpatient options at Keystone are extensive. There is a DUI program, an IOP for individuals with co-occurring disorders called Compass, gender-specific and co-ed IOPs, general outpatient programs, treatment services for gambling addiction, and an IOP for teens between the ages of 12 to 17, which is typically completed in 15 to 18 weeks. Adult IOPs generally last 16 to 20 weeks.

The facility’s treatment director is a master’s level addiction counselor who also has training in educational counseling psychology. There are three physicians on staff, one of whom is a board-certified addictionologist, as well as a 24-hour nursing staff. Keystone maintains a staff-to-client ratio of 1:12.

Keystone is a 14-bed facility. Special dietary requests can be met upon request.

Alumni reviews were mixed. Of the 17 former clients polled by Rehabs.com to date, 13 shared mostly positive feedback while four did not. Collectively, satisfied alumni described the staff as compassionate, encouraging, and readily available. Two alumni, Jennifer and S.H., credited Keystone with saving their lives. “I feel like I owe my life to Keystone. I was a resident at the facility for 3 months....Keystone gave me tools to deal with life on life terms,” wrote S.H. in a representative statement. “Keystone provided me the tools needed to live a life of sobriety,” added R.D.T.

Critiques from the disgruntled included ineffective treatment, high costs, and misleading information on insurance coverage. “I was highly disappointed with the effectiveness of the youth program,” S.J. told Rehabs.com. “It is based solely on time, not on progress.”

Three of the four loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com to date also shared positive feedback. While B.W.J. found the women’s program “exceptional,” others told of a caring and respectful staff. C.T., much in contrast, reported encountering a staff member who was “very judgmental and had ‘poor’ people skills.”

In their surveys for Rehabs.com, two of the facility’s employees described their colleagues as compassionate, caring, and well-trained individuals. Yet they also noted an inability to serve more to people (“due to regulations”) and a need for some physical repairs and updates.

Fees start at $99 a day for IOP care and $500 for medical detox. A 20% discount is offered for clients who pay in advance. Keystone also accepts private insurance and Medicaid.

Published on January 2018

Mary

I had always heard that Keystone was an amazing place to go to get well, while also keeping your dignity. I still agree that the treatment staff is amazing. HOWEVER....I was talk to like trash when I was financially assessed by a staff member ?? She was my first "billing" contact and I spoke with her several times on the phone. I was coming in straight off the streets after years of using. I was told by DAODAS , who referred me to Keystone that I was eligible for indigent care. OH NO....she told me that it didn't matter that I had held no job for years. If I lived with my Mother while I was in treatment, that was considered income. My Mother being elderly held no merit. I was able to speak with someone else ( after several threats that my treatment being suspended) and my bill was written down to $1000...…….If indigent means $1000 dollars, and this is what Keystone charges the homeless and poor.....HOW CAN PEOPLE GET BETTER ??? I was told by DAODAS that this was against the rules...but it happened. NOW.....after much hard work, gaining the trust of my family back, getting a job, and feeling better about myself than I ever have....Keystone is taking my Taxes. I feel this is wrong, and a sneaky way to get around their funding.

the counselors seemed to be well qualified as well as approachable/personable. excellent staff.

Amber

I want to thank you! I had given up hope after calling multiple places I just was going to keep using. Until I finally made one last phone call. I very enthusiastic phone asked me “how I was doing?” Most people say “hello” in a demeaning tone. She talked to me for 30 min. asked me questions out of care not to take my money. She was honest and up front. Because of her my hope is back. She made me feel that I’m not alone. I am of course doing this for myself, family, boyfriend. But now I want to do this for her. Because she said during our convo “this is my purpose, knowing I’m helping people is why Fod put me here”.... I want to show her that her encouragement and faith in me will pay off. Thank you. Keep being a beautiful soul. You are a God sent angel.

Marianela

The programs and services that are needed to succeed are in place. Counselors are empathetic and care for their patients in a very compassionate way. The decision to seek treatment at this facility is a great and effective way to address substance use disorder concerns.

CM

Well trained, caring counselors. Inability to (due to regulations) to serve a larger number of individuals.The facility continues to expand treatment services with innovated ways to serve the region.

Dv

Great facility

Kerri

I would recommend keystone to anyone seeking recovery. They have a variety of programs to help in all areas of recovery. The staff members at keystone are very compassionate and truly care for the recovery of their clients. Please if you are seeking help call them, their programs will give you hope as well as the confidence you need to begin a new sober life. All this is done with a pledge of confidentiality for the clients.

RR

Very good program

PA

their strength is high is everything.there is absolutely no weakness.the is facility has offered me more opportunities than any detox facility I have been too . they are very encouraging. they have taught me a lot and I will be sharing about how awesome this place is and how its the detox in SC

Aa

Your staff is not a place I would recommend to anyone they don't know what they are doing

Keystone gives many opportunities for patients to complete satisfaction surveys while in services. We hope this person gave more specific reasons for being dissatisfied on a survey form. Patients’ survey responses are reviewed and taken seriously by top management.

DE

They wouldn't know an addict from a casual user if they hit them over the head with a baseball bat. In it for the money... Who in the York Cty. government is receiving the kickbacks?

Keystone, a nonprofit organization, offers many opportunities for patients to apply for assistance with their bills, and to make affordable monthly payments.

W

I was completely emotionally exhausted when I arrived. Soon I my anxiety was replaced by hope. I am thankful for Keystone and there wonderful staff. Thanks.

Ls

Great experience.

VP

Very Great Treatment Center.

Rdt

Keystone provided me the tools needed to live a life of sobriety

Jennifer

Keystone saved my life on more than one occasion. I have been to several rehabs and keystone was the only one that I actually learned anything from

The facility had caring counselors and it was good that it was a local facility for me. However, this is only a detox facility with a maximum 14 day stay.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Keystone’s programs are individualized to meet the specific needs of any client’s situation. Our goal of our detoxification program is to provide a medically safe environment for persons in withdrawal. The timeframe to meet that goal differs from person to person, but is most often 5 to 10 days. We offer a variety of outpatient program for persons to continue treatment after becoming medically stable.

SH

I feel like I owe my life to Keystone. I was a resident at the facility for 3 months. I walked into the doors a broken woman and walked out with a new lease on life. I feel that the entire staff is there because they love what they do, not because it is a job to them. I was not expecting to get half of what I got out of the program as I did. I just wanted to get off of drugs and alcohol and I left with so much more. I have a new found freedom and a new hope. Keystone gave me tools to deal with life on life terms. I was able to get down to the core issues of why I was using in the first place. I left having lost the desire to use. I have Keystone and the incredible staff to thank for that.

Thank you for providing us with input on your experience at Keystone. We are committed to our mission of promoting health, offering hope and restoring healing to our clients. We are pleased to know that your treatment was successful. We wish you continued good health.

CT

The site states they accept most insurance yet when I visited the story was different. Also, one staff member was very judgmental and had "poor" people skills. I would not recommend this facility to anyone.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Keystones’ programs. Keystone bills dozens of different insurance companies, but not all insurance companies cover all services, and many individuals have very high deductibles. In these cases a client is considered “underinsured” and is eligible to apply for the same types of assistance as uninsured persons (sliding scale fees, affordable interest free payment plans, etc.). We do conduct satisfaction surveys during and after services, so we hope you were able to give specifics about your experience so that we were able to follow up in a timely manner.

BWJ

Strong inpatient and outpatient programs. Women of Substance Outpatient program is exceptional.

SM

Meetings counseling was a strength of the facility. Prices were a downfall. If ur uninsured is almost impossible for addicts to get help

Not sure if I would recommend to family and friends.

Affordable , respectful staff. However, very old building and outdated. A good affordable option.

SJ

I was highly disappointed with the effectiveness of the youth program. It is based solely on time, not progress. My advice to parents: Seek private counseling and stay vigilant!

AM

I learned a lot and I am over a year sober to this day. Did not care for a few of the counselors. Principals before personalities I know but would not subject myself to those who affect my serenity. It was more focused on drugs not alcohol I wanted more information on being an alcoholic.

Thank you for trusting us with your care. Our commitment to care means that we strive to work with our clients to resolve difficulties that may be encountered. We welcome your input and will gladly work with you to resolve any outstanding concerns.

BS

The staff was always available, I was given personal space. I was terribly motivated & wanted to stay clean. I took all the suggestions given me.