Lakeside Behavioral Health System in Memphis, TN

Recovery Academy
Neuroscience Center
Lakeside Residential Treatment

ABOUT LAKESIDE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SYSTEM

Located on 37 acres in a suburb of Memphis, Tenn., Lakeside Behavioral Health System provides treatment for children, adolescents, adults, and seniors struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. Services include medical detox, residential and outpatient programs, and aftercare. The center also has an inpatient program for individuals with mental and behavioral health disorders.

The process begins with a comprehensive evaluation, during which a therapist identifies the level of care that best meets the client’s needs.

After detox (if necessary), clients enroll in the residential program or outpatient options including a partial hospital program (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (IOP). Treatment is based on the 12-Steps and includes individual, group, and family therapy, plus activity therapy and educational groups on topics including stress management, relapse prevention, and spirituality. There also are special services for those struggling with trauma and/or suicidal feelings.

Aftercare provisions include ongoing access to staff, continued individual and group therapy, and family support, plus 12-step referrals.

According to the facility’s website, the treatment team includes a medical director, psychiatrists, professional nurses, community counselor, social workers, and therapists. The physicians and psychiatrists work at Lakeside as independent contractors.

Other than indicating that the facility has 305 beds, the center does not provide information regarding its living arrangements and related offerings. Photos on the website show a bright dining hall with floor-to-ceiling windows, a lounge with ping pong table and library. The tree-lined grounds overlook a lake.

Alumni reviews ran the gamut from positive to negative, though most feedback was mediocre at best. Of the more than 20 former clients who responded to the Rehabs.com survey with numerical ratings, less than half gave the overall effectiveness of the program high four and top five stars.

Some alumni praised the staff as "friendly" and "very helpful" as well as the facility's counseling options. Some considered their stay at the facility helpful, such as J.M., who told Rehabs.com: "Lakeside helped me out." Others had a different impression of their experience. For example, an anonymous reviewer told Rehabs.com it was "a waste of time and money and added more stress to my situation. It did nothing to improve anything."

Some reported a need for more one-on-one therapy, additional exercise offerings, and better food. Others had stronger complaints, especially about the high cost of treatment.

Reviews from loved ones skewed were mixed, but largely positive. Of the more than 20 individuals who responded to the Rehabs.com survey at the time of this writing with numerical ratings, close to three-quarters gave high four and top five stars to overall effectiveness of the program and the other major categories of accommodations and meals.

An anonymous reviewer wanted Rehabs.com to know about "the great programs and staff" because "It helped a close loved one." Another anonymous pointed out "the excellent care" their mother received and would "strongly recommend" the center. Another anonymous loved said the "counseling was great" and added the program "works if you apply yourself."

Some praised the detox program and the physical facility. Yet others complained about the high cost. A.B.D shared with Rehabs.com: "They are in this for MONEY" and an anonymous reviewer suggested: “I think the treatments should focus on more long term improvement than just monetary help.”

According to its website, Lakeside accepts most major, private, and government-issued insurance plans. Physician fees are billed separately, since the facility’s physicians are independent contractors.

Updated April 2017

Published on April 2017

Would NOT recommend

Worse hosiptial for a adolescents.

It actually wasn't that bad staff was somewhat okay Food was decent I actually gained weight the other girls That were in there were pretty nice. Didn't really have programs That focused on anxiety and depression but I guess the groups worked a little bit Therapist I didn't even know was my therapist and the doctor I saw for maybe 3 mins Every time overall it wasn't the greatest but it also wasn't the worst

I regret sending my son here. Someone made false allegations against me... The food is horrible, gave me and my other son upset stomachs. I felt like the workers were only there after our money, and wasn't really taking me seriously or listening to anything I told them. I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone.

BEWARE: Nothing like getting the help you need from Lakeside and then they send you to a Collections Agency, EVEN IF YOU ARE PAYING THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS! I guess THEY DON'T CARE about you after you leave their facility. FYI: Other medical facilities like Methodist and Baptist don't send you to collections as long as you are making payments to them. Thank you Methodist and Baptist hospitals on behalf of friends I know who are struggling!

This place is the worst place you could possibly go to. My sister went willingly to try and get help over a horrible break up that really did her in. When she was in the hospital they told her she would be there no longer than 5 days. Well here we are day after day they tell her they are releasing her tomorrow but never follow though nor care to speak to her. They are all in this for MONEY. Whatever the insurance pays they want. When you max out they will send you home. Every time I talk to her she sounds miserable. They get a pillow and a thin blanket, and have to be up at 5:30 every single day.. They do not separate you, and some people are violent.. They tell you before you go in that they are hands on and family is welcome. Well we can't see her and she can only call every now and then. They all eat together and congregate together. This place is a joke and a money pit. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worse enemy. She said its like Jail and the nurses are only there is collect a paycheck. When you call to check on them they give you a tude and send you to an automated system that is suppose to answer all your questions. I had to call back to back just to know she was okay. I hate this for her, she spent all this money to go here and she isnt even getting the help she went for.. If anything this has scared her straight and that was never the goal. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANYONE YOU KNOW HERE. They lie and tell you what you want to hear just to get you in there, but its to total opposite.

I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. I would have 3 minute meeting with my psychiatrist. After I was released from this prison I unfortunately mage an appointment with the same psychiatrist who saw me now for 8 whole minutes. He stood up on the last 3 minutes because he had another patient waiting. I called my insurance co which told me my appointment should have been 30 minutes. Never again!!!!!!!

Security wanted to check my car for weapons. Last day, they took me for an MRI. Technician said wait a minute so you can take a disc to your doctor. Driver said she didn't have time.Told me it would be mailed to me.2 months and still do not know results. Go somewhere else because the first 2 days, 3 men and 2 women, including me did not have a bed or shower. I hope they do not charge Medicare for those two days. Staff complaining and a prison like enviorment. Worse two weeks of my life. Trying to he!p people.

UNDERSTANDING. CARING, EMPATHY personal accomdating

Friendly people that truly want to help. They need to keep the violent patients separate from each other From the moment I checked a loved one in I knew they were in great hands.

Great programs and staff. It helped a close loved one

Great for recovery Theyre great people

The is modern and up to date. The staff there is competent. It is not real cheap to go there. A family member went there. When I visited this person there, she was very happy with the place and the treatment.

The physical facilities and the staff there. the cost to go there for treatment is expensive. This facility is in a nice location. And I myself was very much inspired by the physical setting of this place.

INTEGRITY

at the time, this facility helped me become a drug-free person

Nutrition and food the food is terrible !!

They have little on activities and don't allow you to watch much tv

Good nurses Seem understaffed

Detox program was very helpfull. Boring classes with repeat information. Treatment is only going to work if you are actually ready to get sober.

The locaruoon The cost was expensive. The admissions process for a person in crisis was not easy to negotiate. They acted as if they did not want to help us to avert a potentially dangerous situation. Since it was not a scheduled admission they were not willing to address our issues.

counselors that understand and the sponsers once you leave i personally did not find any except maybe for the price this facility helps people who want help and are willing to commit to getting clean and staying clean and not living in the past but who are looking to the future for a better life

education and security it has different treatment for childrens and adults

Very helpful and friendly staff Very sterile environment Was helpful

Hands on, personal touch, spiritual Time limted, which was a negative. My mother was an alcoholic and lake side helped me to cope while my mother received excellent care. I strongly recommend 😊

we had several meetings a day, we would discuss our strenght and weaknesses

My daughter was released from this tragedy on today. She had been there for a week, when she was supposed to only be there for a few days. Communication is nada and only 1 or 2 people treat them with respect and dignity. There is one woman there who is the best person there and I would not be surprised if she left. Tell me this, what doctor treats a patient and they don't know what they have been diagnosed as, nor why they are attending certain classes. Lakeside is a scam and is only in it for the insurance money. Dr. is insane and has horrible bedside manner...This is one hospital that I would not take my sick dog too. HORRIBLE

I spent two weeks at LS in 2016. It was extremely beneficial for me. The staff was helpful and kind, but there are rules they must enforce naturally. The Dr and his resident were great. They took time to listen to and answer my questions. The facility was clean. During the week we were busy all day with classes and group therapy. AA or NA meetings are held every night, usually a speaker meeting. The program has flaws of coarse, but if you go for the right reasons, the imperfections are nill. I read the other reviews, and some of them were rediculous. Someone was unhappy b/c she wanted a specific drug but did not get it. Um... Yeah, that's called drug seeking and since when do psychiatrists in any situation allow their patient to prescribe their own drugs? And as for the food, it's a hospital! And it wasn't even that bad most of the time. The salad bar has a lot of options if nothing else suits you. They offer out patient with boarding, but I went home after my two week stint. I've been alcohol free since and going to AA every day. Treatment is what you make of it. I'm grateful that I was able to go to Lakeside. If I need treatment in the future, I will probably go back.

The detox was to go sit & watch TV. I left.

I asked my mother to drive me from a neighboring state so that I could detox off my pain meds for a severe pain condition. Our plan was to check it out and leave if it was a substandard hospital. The assessment staff downstairs were horribly rude and lied. Based on this fabrication to make money, they locked me up for a 72 hour hold. They also lied about many other aspects of treatment and told my mother and I that I would be receiving a particular doctor who prescribes a particular medication that I was requesting to help me detox. I've worked in psych hospitals & knew what I needed. As soon as they got me upstairs and finished the admission, I found out that I would not be getting the particular doctor they promised me so I never received the particular medication that would have helped. This hospital was horrible and every terrible experience I've had in my many years of life, my stay at Lakeside was by far the worst experience of my life. They did not care that I was in severe pain and took me off cold turkey of my medications. Please go to any other psychiatric inpatient facility rather than ever putting yourself through the horrible conditionsl at Lakeside behavioral hospital.

Went there for my anxiety and depression. There for 3 and a half days and i had over 10 panic attacks. staff's rudeness and discomfort was unbearable. Advisors yelled and showed no care. It was horrible, lost 5 pounds there due to fact i couldnt stomach any food there but bread and juice.

My daughter had very serious behavioral problems. She had been diagnosed as having strong autistic tendencies, and learning disabilities. She completely broke at school and I was called by the Principal to come to school. At his request, I took her first to a Mental Health Clinic. After a few sessions there, they referred me to Lakeside for more in depth treatment of her. They had tested her for quite a few things, and felt she would be better off to be in that setting. Having never dealt with anything like this before, I followed their advise. I felt I made the best decision I could with the facts that I was given.

Not enough ways for people who can't afford it to receive treatment. They included family in treatment which was wonderful.

It helped me in my need to stop using drugs. The classes were wonderful but the food was a downfall.

Some staff members were extremely caring. However, I did not feel that the treatment was fully successful for myself and others.

In my situation, I honestly was taught that I had a serious problems. My stay was helpful in most ways. It positively improved my well- being as a person.

They can help a person in a short time.

The counseling was great. It works if you apply yourself, otherwise it's a waste of time.

For me the biggest advantage was closeness to home and the staff, especially the "under" staff were very helpful. Be courteous to the "understaff" because they are the ones who help you through this. However, there is a lack of interest in mental conditions that may have caused addiction.

They have lots of experience. However, the location was a downfall.

I went in for depression and the staff was very bossy for the most part and I didn't feel like they cared about how I was feeling at all. For as much money that I paid I could have been treated much better. When I asked a nurse if I could speak with my Therapist because I had been there for five days and hadn't spoken to anyone, I was told that the Therapist would see me when they wanted to see me and to go away. Considering I'm actually not crazy and just had been upset because I had been through a lot, it was not okay that I got treated like a child/insane person. ... I thought the whole point of me getting help there was to make me feel happy again and be back to normal. Little did I know, the staff really didn't care one bit about me and my feelings. I would like to show praise to the only kind and caring staff that made me feel better and I actually felt like they genuinely cared. [staff members]. Also I loved the lunch staff.

I went to the trp program almost 2 years ago and I would have to say this was the worst... I felt as if I was just a number or a insurance claim to these people... This was my first experience with rehab and for me it was more of being confined than the help that should have been provided the staff were terrible people ... I waited my 7 days and they were correct your misery can be returned to you as soon as you walk out but that is your choice... After 18 years of being high I can say that I'm clean I thank lake side for showing me that people use and abuse the system and that I never want to be in that situation again...

The facility is good. Several of the counselors are absolutely outstanding. Several should seek another career path. I got more out of aftercare than I did my 7 days of inpatient detox.

Much more interested in financial gain than patient progress/well being. Nice campus; lousy staff. Facility has low long-term success rate and poorly qualified staff. Much more interested in money than patient well being. Treatment plans were based on patient's ability to pay more than patient's needs.

My husband was a recovering alcoholic himself and it was mainly him who was a major factor in decision in my step son going there there. He was very knowledgeable about rehab facilities and his son had been in several before coming here . He has been able to be functional since attending this program and has been able to move on with his life. My husband's working with him, AA and the treatment he received there all contributed to his success. They were very good there.

It did not help. It feels like a jail due to the cages and magnetic locking doors, even though this is a voluntary treatment center. It makes you feel like you are being forced to recover rather than it being a personal decision to better your own life. I went to this facility 4 times because I relapsed each time after I got back home. I know this is a part of recovery, but think this could have been prevented if I was taught coping skills and positive things to do during cravings while in rehab. There was not enough one-on-one therapy and not enough education on addiction and the difficulties addicts face even after the withdrawal process is over.

Good, supportive group sessions, but very short on individualized counseling, etc. No specific treatment for treatment of depression or anxiety.

Dirty and creepy. It did not help me. When I was released I turned to yoga, holistic eating meditation. That is what helped. Leaned heavily on AA. Did not meet my needs. I was physically unsafe here.

Worst experience of my life is short of being depressed... there were no recreational activities other than a central television which no one had anything over what was on the counseling was non-existent. There were no activities. It was just a terrible, terrible experience. The food was probably the worst food I've ever had. It makes public school food look good. I would never recommend this place. I would never go back there ever again it was a waste of time and money and added more stress to my situation. It did nothing to improve anything.

$1,500 for 36 hours? Ridiculous. Just a warehouse to hold people and bill insurance companies. Terrible facility. Staff completely unsupportive.

Lakeside helped me out.