Lighthouse Care Center of Conway

152 Waccamaw Medical Park Drive, Conway, South Carolina, 29526

2.8

About Lighthouse Care Center of Conway

It is the mission of Lighthouse Care Center of Conway to provide therapeutic mental health and drug & alcohol addiction recovery services to adolescents and adults who are exhibiting high-risk behaviors of a severe or persistent nature and/or are emotionally disturbed as evidenced by a DSM-IV diagnosis. Lighthouse Care Center of Conway is dedicated to nurturing patients and residents in a manner that is conducive to positive change and personal growth. We strive daily to give our patients and residents the tools they need to overcome the obstacles they are facing. We provide a highly structured program that empowers each participant to reach their maximum potential through positive reinforcement.

12-Step

The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• Individual Therapy
  • Group Therapy
  • Self-Esteem Building

2.9/5

• RW
    DONT GO HERE! just a bare bones holding facility for addicts and crmininals; " Treatment" is a joke; only allowed to see psychiatrist every 2 days; will set you back not help you
  • joyce
    Please do not make the mistake of putting your loved one here, it is horrible, my husband was here for less than two weeks, when we picked him up, he smelled so bad, his dentures were in a plastic bag with mold on them, his clothes were dirty,he had the wrong glasses and was so doped-up. All they do there with dementia patients is medicate them and put them in a corner, he had on a depends and it was so dirty.. Two weeks later he passed away, I have complained to the BBB, and also contacted a congressman in SC, this place should be shut down.
  • Stacie
    I loved lighthouse
  • MR
    My experience at lighthouse was ok staff was pretty good the groups and other things I felt were for a child more then a adult so it was more confusing to me more them getting the help I needed I ended up going back now I'm ok and living life the way I need to my opinion its better to help yourself then seek it
  • RF
    As a former patient of lighthouse I can say I experienced things there differently when I first came to lighthouse I was brought in by police for suicide attempts I also was treated for opioids which the Dr of addiction was very good I was happy I got the help I needed the second time I came to lighthouse was a nightmare the staff was rude I was completely ignored the Dr treating me never listened to what I had to say only what others said I was heavily medicated threatened by staff I also have high BP which was high and refused to call the Dr or bring me to the ER for treatment I finally had a heart attack as a result so staff then changed there outlook about how it was handled yes there are both negative and positive reviews and in my feeling I believe it was staff meaning it depended on who was working there while you were getting treatment some care some dont I have had staff at times make me feel I'm below them because I have issues it's not all great in a hospital but if your lucky you get the right help I was lucky once but the second was bad for me so as I write this I can say it's a bad experience and I wouldn't recommend you go there but only you who experience treatment can say some g good some bad comes from this but I've learned alot enough to stay out of there and I'm helping myself cope and I believe I've accomplished more myself then in lighthouse all I can say is hopefully anybody seeking help there will get what they came for but dont expect a miracle that is my experience and what I've went through it was good and bad for me
  • Tara S
    I almost died in this facility. It not only deserves 0 stars, it needs to be shut down. I had been experiencing depression for a while and my family and I decided inpatient treatment would give me the best advantage. I came into this facility with depression and left with severe trauma. I have never been treated more inhumane and stigmatized in my life. The way I (and most every other patient) was treated by the techs, nurses, and doctors was completely demoralizing. The interactions between not only myself, but the other patients and the staff, were not only unprofessional, but shockingly immoral and unethical. Many of the techs speak openly about other patients. Some taunt certain patients for their sheer entertainment. On my second day here, I became ill. I immediately told my nurse and the techs on duty. I was told I was fine. No questions, no exam, but I was fine. Over the course of the following three days, I became extremely sick. My chest became tighter and tighter. I was experiencing extreme pain just to take a breath; I was becoming weaker and the patients around me, especially my roommate, were becoming extremely concerned about my health. Over those three days, I had told my nurse, the techs, and my doctor how sick I was countless times. I was ignored and told I was fine. Still no exam. I requested a med consult with my doctor and was told I would have one first thing the next morning. I never received one. My fellow patients began to express their concern for me to the techs and nurses. Nothing. My mother called the nurses station 32 times over those three days. They kept telling her I was fine and began to hang up on her. On the 4th night, I knew I wouldn't live through it without medical care. As disparaged, but desperate as I was, I went to the nurses station again. And FINALLY, one nurse did his job. One nurse treated me like an actual human being. I didn't know his name but he saved my life. He gave me a quick exam and an ambulance was finally called. My emergency contact, my mother, was not notified. My family had to figure out where I was the next day when I was scheduled to be discharged. The front desk told them I had been discharged the previous day, which was obviously not true. It was another nightmare getting discharged from that place while in the hospital. Upon arrival at the ER, I was diagnosed with respiratory failure, bilateral pneumonia, and sepsis. For the next 4 of the 7 nights I was there, I fought hard for my life. Every breath I took was excruciating. I couldn't sit up, use the restroom, or take care of any basic needs on my own. Talking, rather whispering, to answer questions exhausted me for hours. I couldn't eat at all during that time. On the 4th night I was there, we sent out a prayer request to my community back home, as I was making no improvement. The doctors kept ordering more tests day after day to no avail. And, for the first time I began to turn a corner. My stay at the Lighthouse was approximately 6 weeks ago. I am still seeing specialists relating to the severity of my illness, as everything is not yet resolved. I have much more I can say about this place, but much of it has been said in previous reviews. Now that I have my strength back, I will be reporting this facility to all of the appropriate agencies. If you or your family member needs mental health treatment, stay far away from the Lighthouse!!
  • George
    I don't understand the negative reviews this place actually saved my life the 28-day program was the best program I've ever been in for my alcohol and drug addiction I've been clean and sober for a while now one day at a time thank you very much lighthouse and your staff you did an awesome job
  • Anna
    Terrible place. No group or individual therapy, just “classes” given by staff who were not licensed therapists. Rarely go outside. The adolescent unit looks barren, depressing.
  • DM
    After reading the other reviews I had to write one myself. This is an psychiatric hospital. Everyone from addicts to nervous breakdowns can be admitted. The facility was clean and well taken care of, even though the building is older. The techs treated myself and everyone around me with respect. They're busy but I never felt neglected. The doctors were there daily, and were open to my concerns. My meds were changed, but they needed to be. I had to be stabilized. Some of the other patients had some behavior issues, but the staff handled it well. The food was good, no complaints there either. I could have used so more outdoor time, but felt like the rec time was okay. I would seek treatment here again, and would have no problem referring my loved ones.
  • Donald
    Completely sucked, only GYM and Yoga were good...Dr's were short and not attentive. Were housed with three people, which had severe meds and was not safe. Meds management was so wrong. Other classes were ok, some were not needed for some. But, in order to get out of the that place you had to go to classes and take meds in order to comply. Just terrible.
  • A. B
    Let me just say I wouldn't send my dogs fleas to this place! Not told nothing but go lay down now. Only went to this place cause I had some small depression. Saw the Dr. For less than 5 minutes once a day. Had two groups a day for 20 minutes with 1970s literature and God references stuffed in. Staff was Constantly on their cell phones. Texting, playing games, talking on Bluetooth. Very unprofessional. Food atrocious. Blood pressure was supposed to be taken every morning they did not come in and do it yet just filled in the numbers anyway. Roaches and filthy dirty. Please if you are just sad and need some counseling DO NOT GO TO OR SEND YOUR LOVED ONE TO THIS NIGHTMARE! I went to seek some help and signed myself in to receive help all I got was a nightmare.
    Treated extremely well.Staff compassionate & understood the disease of addiction. My counselor was the BEST. Saw psychiatrist almost every day for Rx & med.assessment.Meetings every night. Food was good~I gained 18+ pounds in my 28 days!! I've remained clean & sober now for over a year!! Thank you for saving my life💕💕
  • Rudy
    Now approaching 20 months of being off of opioids since Feb.19 2017 thanks to this place...They literally saved my life. You get what put in to your recovery..lots of whiners on here. What did they expect to place to be the shangrila or the Chateau Maremont? Thank you Lighghouse Care!
  • Kristen
    Thanks for costing me two thousand dollars for not letting me do my school work i got withdrawn from my classes and have to pay to retake them
  • HP
    This facility is not at all what the reviews make it seem! caring staff that work hard to help out the patients
  • KV
    This place is a JOKE. When they called me an was asking me questions about my 11 year old daughter. I was told i would get a update everyday (that never happen) I was also told I would get a 48hr notification to come pick her up. I had to get someone to call to see what time. when they called she was ALREADY discharged (WHAT A NOTIFICATION) not even funny!!!!!!! I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE FOR MY DOG (an i don't have one)
  • S
    Terrible place! Patients were mostly ignored or treated very disrespectile
  • Cw
    Please do not go here. When I walked into admissions it was clean and I felt ok. Then they took me back to the unit put me in a room to wait that was filthy and had people just staring at the walls. The couches were covered in black dirt from lack of cleaning. The walls and baseboards are never cleaned. The handrails have food and all sorts of nastiness in them and you can feel that they never get washed. The phone smelled so bad I had to ask a a staff me bet to clean it with alcohol wipes just so I could use it. When I was finally spoken to by a nurse I lost it because of the condition of the place and was crying and she yelled at me that I wasn't going home. I was so full of anxiety I couldn't even speak. Then I was told I couldn't leave for 3 days. Which I would have been fine with if the place was clean and the staff were nicer. I wanted help. I didn't receive much. I asked if we could go outside so I could get some fresh air due to the smell of mildew coming directly from the vents in the ceiling and I was told no. I literally had to beg for the staff to take us outside. I wanted help and was not helped at all. The doctor barely spoke English and didn't even read my file before she prescribed me new drugs. I felt worse when I left than when I went to the er asking for help. Please do not send your family members here. They don't have anything for them to do to pass the time either. The tv is always on some disgusting show there is not a library or any other activities for the patients. The activity director does a lot of relaxation techniques but doesn't provide things to do when your not in a group session. Patients who fly off the handle are allowed to do so and not taken out of gen pop for the safety of others. There was a girl there that had a fit 3 or 4 times a day and she was just allowed to wonder around after yelling and cussing out everyone. Even at 3 am after waking up everyone because she didn't get what she wanted. I have never felt so ashamed for asking for help until I entered this hospital. I didn't get the help I need and my insurance has to pay for this visit. Now they are charging me 1700 dollars on top of that for a 2 1/2 day stay.
  • EW
    Last time I was there, which was a few months ago, I was detoxing from alcohol. I feel I was not given enough medication to even keep my blood pressure down, let alone to deal with the discomfort. The doctor would not discuss it with me. Then, when I was waiting in the unit to talk to admin, I was sitting in my wheelchair, and one of the techs yelled at me, loudly, and forcibly pushed the chair toward the door because it was dinner time. I tried to explain what I was doing. I got out of there in 3 days. It was a terrible experience.
  • Rd
    I really do not understand how DHEC can allow such a place to be considered a place of treatment. Such incompetence and down right scary to think that such a place continues to be approved to treat a human being
  • Mfr
    Worst place ever! Wouldn't bring my dying dog there. They absolutely do not care about their patients. Overdosed and sent me to ICU for two long days and threw my very expensive dental implant out in the trash (16,000 to be exact). They agreed upon discharge to reimburse me for their negligence and have since denied responsibility. I have had to contact my attorney to assist me for reimbursement. If you need help do not ever come here as they treat their patients horribly and lie.
  • LP
    Filthy facility. Roaches. Poor treatment plans
  • Danielle
    Like the person before said There has to be some type of investigation...Because the Horror that my boyfriend endured in this place needs to be condemned and banned for Treating ppl awfully wasting their time...
  • RJ
    The worst place ever... I seriously wish i knew how to get an investigation started. Never will i recommend this to anyone.
  • GG
    Information on patient treatment is appalling. Family members trying to find out information are completely ignored. There is not any way to get information and any calls to find out information are completely ignored by doctors and staff. Apparently this is the norm that family is to be completely taken out of the entire rehabilitation plans. This is so wrong that it is disgusting. All we ask is for information. Visititation is limited to just 1 hour on wednesdays and 1 hour on saturdays. There is no thought for hardships on families. Horrible
  • Susan
    I was in The Lighthouse for 6 days. I never saw a therapist one on one. I saw the psychiatrist once a day for 5 minutes. All he did was check boxes. Rarely spoke a word. Group therapy is a joke. It\'s just \"tech\'s\" running group therapy who just like listening to themselves talk. There was rarely any actual conversation in group. Instead they wasted our time arguing with a 19 year old patient coming off of heroine instead of sending him to his room. My parents and family were not able to get through to speak to anyone about how I was doing. My parents tried calling several times and no one ever picked up the phone. The food is horrific. If you do not like what they serve you in the cafeteria 3 times a day then to bad. There is nothing else available to eat. No fruit, snacks, nothing. The fruit they did serve was either not ripe or sour. Nothing nutritious about the food served. The only thing to drink, except when you are in the cafeteria, is water. Two pitchers of water sit on a table. If the pitchers run dry which they always did then you have to drink out of a 1980\'s water fountain that tastes horrible. I was dehydrated when I finally got home. Understaffed! It\'s like pulling teeth to get a nurses attention. Most of them walk by you and ignore you when you need something because they are too busy. When I arrived at The Lighthouse I was told I would be there for 3-5 days. I was there for 6. NEVER SEND A LOVED ONE TO THIS HORRIBLE INSTITUTION.
  • Joe
    Hate reading all of these negative reviews. This facility is AMAZING! Very involved and attentive staff and management. Doctors see patients daily and they truly care. I could not ask for better clinical care and attention to my needs.
  • Kristi
    Groups to learn lots of things about substance abuse, but there was no massage thrapy. Group leaders are very helpful and polite.
    Very caring staff....seemed very knowledgeable. Doesn't take all insurances Very good experience; seemed very well run.
    Encouraging.
  • Ashley
    It's not the nicest place, but it did it's job and the staff was caring and understanding.