Lighthouse Care Center of Conway in Conway, SC

Call (843) 347-8871 to Contact Lighthouse Care Center of Conway

152 Waccamaw Medical Park Drive
Conway SC 29526

Lighthouse Care Center of Conway Philosophy

It is the mission of Lighthouse Care Center of Conway to provide therapeutic mental health and drug & alcohol addiction recovery services to adolescents and adults who are exhibiting high-risk behaviors of a severe or persistent nature and/or are emotionally disturbed as evidenced by a DSM-IV diagnosis. Lighthouse Care Center of Conway is dedicated to nurturing patients and residents in a manner that is conducive to positive change and personal growth. We strive daily to give our patients and residents the tools they need to overcome the obstacles they are facing. We provide a highly structured program that empowers each participant to reach their maximum potential through positive reinforcement.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Individual Therapy

Group Therapy

Self-Esteem Building

Tom Ryba

Chief Executive Officer

Tom holds a B.A., psychology, University of Washington; M.S. public health, University of Missouri. Prior to being named CEO of Lighthouse Care Center of Conway, Tom has run private psychiatric hospitals across the country, most recently Rolling Hills Hospital in Tennessee. He was Board Chair of the Mental Health Association of Middle Tennessee. He is a past President of the North Carolina Mental Health Association, and served as an appointed member of the North Carolina Commission for Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services.

Dr. Adedapo Oduwole

Medical Director for Addiction Services

Dr. Adedapo Oduwole is the most recent addition to the Lighthouse Care Center medical staff, coming from Mercy Hospital System in Janesville, Wis., in 2009. Dr. Oduwole is well-versed in multiple areas of adult psychiatry but is most passionate about addictions work, and serves as the Medical Director for Addiction Services at Lighthouse. Dr. Oduwole has several strong beliefs and guiding principles about addictions that serve the clients he sees well. First, he believes that each client should be provided an individualized treatment plan that clearly focuses on that persons most pressing issue(s) at the time of admission into the Lighthouse. Just as no two fingerprints are alike, no two clients are alike and so each deserves a treatment plan specifically tailored to his or her needs.

ABOUT LIGHTHOUSE CARE CENTER

Set about 10 miles from Myrtle Beach, S.C., Lighthouse Care Center provides psychiatric inpatient care for children, adolescents, adults, and geriatric adults struggling with mental health disorders and/or co-occurring substance abuse disorders. It is one of only eight short-term, non-hospital inpatient treatment facilities in the state. Detox services are available within the facility’s dual diagnosis unit.

Lighthouse Care Center of Conway provides family, group, and individual therapy, medication management, and therapeutic recreational therapy across its various age-specific programs. Adults aged 18 and older achieve stabilization through a brief stay of eight to 10 days in the facility’s Acute Psychiatric & Behavioral Health Services unit, whereas older adults experiencing anxiety, paranoia, and other major life changes may enroll in the Acute Geriatric Program.

Between Lighthouse’s Adolescent Residential Treatment Facility and its Acute Children’s and Adolescent Unit, youth are afforded opportunities “to test new behaviors, improve self-confidence, and demonstrate internal self-control.” As they progress in treatment, children and teens are rewarded with trips to local state parks and amusement parks. The facility is among the 42.6 of S.C. facilities to treat adolescents.

For those struggling with serious substance abuse concerns, the center also runs an intensive, 28-day residential program centered around 12-Step. Beyond attending daily Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) support groups, clients enrolled in this voluntary program participate in intensive group therapy sessions focused on cognitive restructuring and altruistic recovery.

Lighthouse Care Center's staff is comprised of a multidisciplinary team of board-certified psychiatrists, registered nurses, licensed professional counselors (LPCs), licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), master’s level counselors, and certified recreational therapists, among other trained behavioral health professionals. To date, the five individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter appreciated the aptitude of staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 4/5

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its living arrangements and related offerings. However, the six individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date awarded Lighthouse above-average ratings of four out of five stars for both its accommodations and quality of meals. The five individuals polled on the matter also approved of its cleanliness.

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 3.8/5

Reviews from the 18 alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date were highly polarized. Alum R.J. called Lighthouse “the worst place ever,” while Susan called group therapy here “a joke,” listing issues of understaffing, inattentive staff, and poor food. “NEVER SEND A LOVED ONE TO THIS HORRIBLE INSTITUTION,” Susan warned others.

Yet other clients, such as Joe, experienced an “involved and attentive staff” and doctors who “truly care.” “I could not ask for better clinical care and attention to my needs,” Joe wrote. Taking a slightly more nuanced stance, alum wrote. “It's not the nicest place, but it did it's job and the staff was caring and understanding.” Of out of five stars, the two alumni polled on the matters gave three- and four-star ratings for the facility's ability to treat co-occurring disorders, counseling options, and family participation.

Three loved ones polled to date also offered mixed reviews of Lighthouse Care Center as of this writing. Though reviewer G.G. shared alumni complaints of unreturned calls and neglectful staff, Kristi described a “helpful and polite” and “very caring” staff. Overall the staff's level of experience received two four star-ratings and a five-star rating from the three loved ones who responded to the Rehabs.com survey. When asked if they would recommend treatment at Lighthouse to others, the two loved ones polled on this metric gave a four- and a five-star rating.

Though Rehabs.com has yet to receive alumni feedback to date, secondary sources revealed mixed staff opinions. On Indeed, 18 employees gave the facility an average rating of 2.9 out of five stars. [1] While some reviewers appreciated the dedication of co-workers, others were critical of management. "I have noticed that supervisors do not display the same professionalism that they would expect of an employee," one representative reviewer wrote.

While no information is available on the facility's website or otherwise regarding cost, the website does state that Lighthouse Care Center of Conway accepts Medicare, Tricare, and most commercial insurance plans. The center is among the 37 treatment facilities in the state to accept federal military insurance.

[1] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Lighthouse-Care-Center-of-Conway/reviews

Published on October 2018

After reading the other reviews I had to write one myself. This is an psychiatric hospital. Everyone from addicts to nervous breakdowns can be admitted. The facility was clean and well taken care of, even though the building is older. The techs treated myself and everyone around me with respect. They're busy but I never felt neglected. The doctors were there daily, and were open to my concerns. My meds were changed, but they needed to be. I had to be stabilized. Some of the other patients had some behavior issues, but the staff handled it well. The food was good, no complaints there either. I could have used so more outdoor time, but felt like the rec time was okay. I would seek treatment here again, and would have no problem referring my loved ones.

Completely sucked, only GYM and Yoga were good...Dr's were short and not attentive. Were housed with three people, which had severe meds and was not safe. Meds management was so wrong. Other classes were ok, some were not needed for some. But, in order to get out of the that place you had to go to classes and take meds in order to comply. Just terrible.

Let me just say I wouldn't send my dogs fleas to this place! Not told nothing but go lay down now. Only went to this place cause I had some small depression. Saw the Dr. For less than 5 minutes once a day. Had two groups a day for 20 minutes with 1970s literature and God references stuffed in. Staff was Constantly on their cell phones. Texting, playing games, talking on Bluetooth. Very unprofessional. Food atrocious. Blood pressure was supposed to be taken every morning they did not come in and do it yet just filled in the numbers anyway. Roaches and filthy dirty. Please if you are just sad and need some counseling DO NOT GO TO OR SEND YOUR LOVED ONE TO THIS NIGHTMARE! I went to seek some help and signed myself in to receive help all I got was a nightmare.

Treated extremely well.Staff compassionate & understood the disease of addiction. My counselor was the BEST. Saw psychiatrist almost every day for Rx & med.assessment.Meetings every night. Food was good~I gained 18+ pounds in my 28 days!! I've remained clean & sober now for over a year!! Thank you for saving my life💕💕

Now approaching 20 months of being off of opioids since Feb.19 2017 thanks to this place...They literally saved my life. You get what put in to your recovery..lots of whiners on here. What did they expect to place to be the shangrila or the Chateau Maremont? Thank you Lighghouse Care!

Thanks for costing me two thousand dollars for not letting me do my school work i got withdrawn from my classes and have to pay to retake them

This facility is not at all what the reviews make it seem! caring staff that work hard to help out the patients

This place is a JOKE. When they called me an was asking me questions about my 11 year old daughter. I was told i would get a update everyday (that never happen) I was also told I would get a 48hr notification to come pick her up. I had to get someone to call to see what time. when they called she was ALREADY discharged (WHAT A NOTIFICATION) not even funny!!!!!!! I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE FOR MY DOG (an i don't have one)

Terrible place! Patients were mostly ignored or treated very disrespectile

Please do not go here. When I walked into admissions it was clean and I felt ok. Then they took me back to the unit put me in a room to wait that was filthy and had people just staring at the walls. The couches were covered in black dirt from lack of cleaning. The walls and baseboards are never cleaned. The handrails have food and all sorts of nastiness in them and you can feel that they never get washed. The phone smelled so bad I had to ask a a staff me bet to clean it with alcohol wipes just so I could use it. When I was finally spoken to by a nurse I lost it because of the condition of the place and was crying and she yelled at me that I wasn't going home. I was so full of anxiety I couldn't even speak. Then I was told I couldn't leave for 3 days. Which I would have been fine with if the place was clean and the staff were nicer. I wanted help. I didn't receive much. I asked if we could go outside so I could get some fresh air due to the smell of mildew coming directly from the vents in the ceiling and I was told no. I literally had to beg for the staff to take us outside. I wanted help and was not helped at all. The doctor barely spoke English and didn't even read my file before she prescribed me new drugs. I felt worse when I left than when I went to the er asking for help. Please do not send your family members here. They don't have anything for them to do to pass the time either. The tv is always on some disgusting show there is not a library or any other activities for the patients. The activity director does a lot of relaxation techniques but doesn't provide things to do when your not in a group session. Patients who fly off the handle are allowed to do so and not taken out of gen pop for the safety of others. There was a girl there that had a fit 3 or 4 times a day and she was just allowed to wonder around after yelling and cussing out everyone. Even at 3 am after waking up everyone because she didn't get what she wanted. I have never felt so ashamed for asking for help until I entered this hospital. I didn't get the help I need and my insurance has to pay for this visit. Now they are charging me 1700 dollars on top of that for a 2 1/2 day stay.

Last time I was there, which was a few months ago, I was detoxing from alcohol. I feel I was not given enough medication to even keep my blood pressure down, let alone to deal with the discomfort. The doctor would not discuss it with me. Then, when I was waiting in the unit to talk to admin, I was sitting in my wheelchair, and one of the techs yelled at me, loudly, and forcibly pushed the chair toward the door because it was dinner time. I tried to explain what I was doing. I got out of there in 3 days. It was a terrible experience.

I really do not understand how DHEC can allow such a place to be considered a place of treatment. Such incompetence and down right scary to think that such a place continues to be approved to treat a human being

Worst place ever! Wouldn't bring my dying dog there. They absolutely do not care about their patients. Overdosed and sent me to ICU for two long days and threw my very expensive dental implant out in the trash (16,000 to be exact). They agreed upon discharge to reimburse me for their negligence and have since denied responsibility. I have had to contact my attorney to assist me for reimbursement. If you need help do not ever come here as they treat their patients horribly and lie.

Filthy facility. Roaches. Poor treatment plans

Like the person before said There has to be some type of investigation...Because the Horror that my boyfriend endured in this place needs to be condemned and banned for Treating ppl awfully wasting their time...

The worst place ever... I seriously wish i knew how to get an investigation started. Never will i recommend this to anyone.

Information on patient treatment is appalling. Family members trying to find out information are completely ignored. There is not any way to get information and any calls to find out information are completely ignored by doctors and staff. Apparently this is the norm that family is to be completely taken out of the entire rehabilitation plans. This is so wrong that it is disgusting. All we ask is for information. Visititation is limited to just 1 hour on wednesdays and 1 hour on saturdays. There is no thought for hardships on families. Horrible

I was in The Lighthouse for 6 days. I never saw a therapist one on one. I saw the psychiatrist once a day for 5 minutes. All he did was check boxes. Rarely spoke a word. Group therapy is a joke. It's just "tech's" running group therapy who just like listening to themselves talk. There was rarely any actual conversation in group. Instead they wasted our time arguing with a 19 year old patient coming off of heroine instead of sending him to his room. My parents and family were not able to get through to speak to anyone about how I was doing. My parents tried calling several times and no one ever picked up the phone. The food is horrific. If you do not like what they serve you in the cafeteria 3 times a day then to bad. There is nothing else available to eat. No fruit, snacks, nothing. The fruit they did serve was either not ripe or sour. Nothing nutritious about the food served. The only thing to drink, except when you are in the cafeteria, is water. Two pitchers of water sit on a table. If the pitchers run dry which they always did then you have to drink out of a 1980's water fountain that tastes horrible. I was dehydrated when I finally got home. Understaffed! It's like pulling teeth to get a nurses attention. Most of them walk by you and ignore you when you need something because they are too busy. When I arrived at The Lighthouse I was told I would be there for 3-5 days. I was there for 6. NEVER SEND A LOVED ONE TO THIS HORRIBLE INSTITUTION.

Hate reading all of these negative reviews. This facility is AMAZING! Very involved and attentive staff and management. Doctors see patients daily and they truly care. I could not ask for better clinical care and attention to my needs.

Groups to learn lots of things about substance abuse, but there was no massage thrapy. Group leaders are very helpful and polite.

Very caring staff....seemed very knowledgeable. Doesn't take all insurances Very good experience; seemed very well run.

Encouraging.