Lindner Center of HOPE in Mason, OH

4075 Old Western Row Road
Mason OH 45040

Lindner Center of HOPE Philosophy

Struggles with mental health and addiction issues can be complex and complicated, so much so that typical acute inpatient and outpatient treatment options may not be able to get to the root of the issues. Whether the individual is stabilized after their first behavioral crisis or has struggled with long-standing mental illness, finding clarity in diagnosis is essential for planning next steps and ultimately achieving wellness. In addition, a solid foundation in clinical skill development is also crucial to being able to build a realistic future focus and better life.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
    The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.

Community Support Groups

Family Therapy

Vocational Support

Clifford Q Cabansag, MD, CTTS

Addiction Medicine Physician

As an addiction specialist, Dr. Cabansag brings addiction medicine expertise to the Lindner Center of HOPE team. Prior to joining us at LCOH, Dr. Cabansag trained as an Addiction Medicine Fellow at Cincinnati VAMC / University of Cincinnati, which was one of only 10 such fellowships to be recognized by the American Board of Addiction Medicine in their 2011 inaugural accreditations. While there, he received extensive training in substance use disorders, particularly in opioid, tobacco and alcohol use disorders. Likewise, his training included the treatment of co-occurring psychiatric disorders as well as motivational interviewing.

Sherry Knapp-Brown, PhD

Staff Psychologist and Chemical Dependency Specialist

Dr. Knapp-Brown has 25 years of experience in behavioral health organizations and is a licensed Ph.D. psychologist with specialty certification and training in substance use disorders, co-occurring psychiatric disorders, mood disorders, dialectical behavior therapy, and healthcare management. She is part of the Lindner Center of HOPE team which designed and is providing specialty treatment programming for persons with addictions and combined psychiatric and addictive disorders. With her specialized training and expertise in Dialectical Behavior Therapy, she is a key member of the hospital’s DBT Team which offers individual and group programming using this highly effective treatment approach.

ABOUT LINDNER CENTER OF HOPE

The Lindner Center of Hope in Mason, Ohio offers residential and outpatient care to adults and adolescents struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health conditions. A partial hospitalization program is also available. Treatment is available for individuals 12 years old or older.

Lindner Center offers four main programs. The first is a ten-day diagnostic assessment. In this program, the client will undergo a series of tests and assessments to help clinicians form treatment recommendations. These assessments take place at the Sibcy House or the Williams House.

The second is the 28-day treatment program. This includes a ten-day diagnostic assessment, followed by 18 days of intensive treatment. This includes a personalized mix of evidence-based therapy including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational enhancement therapy (MET), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), exercise, recreation, individual, and group therapy sessions.

The third is a partial hospitalization program (PHP) option that combines some of the intensity of the residential program with the flexibility of the outpatient program. Clients live at home while they participate in the program.

The final program is the outpatient program, which takes place during day or evening hours for one to two hours of programming. This may include individual and group therapy, process recovery groups, medication management, and psychosocial treatments.

Lindner boasts the “largest medical staff of any free-standing mental health center in the country.” The staff consists of clinicians with wide-ranging specialties and interests, including addiction counselors, social worker, adult, child, and adolescent psychiatrists, dietitians, spiritual care coordinators, psychologists, nurse practitioners, and others.

Lindner Center is located on 36 acres of wooded land just over 20 miles north of Cincinnati. The facility features 80 fully furnished private rooms, each with its own full bath. The main building features a fitness center, dining room, library, community living areas, and a faith center.

The eight alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date offered mixed opinions of the facility. One anonymous reviewer praised the amenities and cleanliness of the facility, while noting that there was a high client-to-staff ratio. Another called the staff “very helpful and kind,” while a third added that Lindner had a “experienced and caring staff.”

A common complaint amongst reviewers was the cost of the facility. “Some programs are out of reach for all but the wealthiest patients,” alum Terri wrote. One anonymous reviewer enjoyed their stay, but noted: “They did not have many vegan options for meals.” However, some alumni were overall critical of the facility. Alum Graham wrote: “They don’t take you seriously. They minimize your issues.”

On Google, the facility earned 3.3 out of five stars from 27 reviews .[1] Similar to Rehabs.com reviews, negative reviewers also mentioned the high cost of treatment, while positive reviewers tended to praise the staff. Alum Eugene wrote: "Hopefully they will work with those who can't afford a tacked on fee. I have appreciated the help I've gotten and want to support UC health facilities."

The six loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com to date also offered generally mixed reviews, though skewed to the positive. The five loved ones polled on the matters gave high average ratings for the facility's cleanliness (4.8 stars), the staff's experience and training (3.8 stars), and counseling options (four stars). “They genuinely want their patients to heal,” a loved one wrote. Again, the most prevalent concern was the cost of treatment. The five loved ones polled on the matter gave a poor 1.8-star rating for the facility's affordability. "They only care about the insurance money and have no program during stay to help you emotionally or physically recover," a loved one wrote.

At the time of this writing, the sole staff member polled by Rehabs.com gave overwhelmingly positive reviews. This individual gave perfect five-star ratings for the facility's holistic offerings, family participation, staff experience, and cleanliness.

On Indeed, 16 former employees gave an average rating of 3.3 out of five stars for the facility. [2] In a representative review, one former employee wrote: "Strives to give the community the best treatment options in Cincinnati. People love what they do and it shows. Top rated doctors in Cincinnati." Some reviewers cited understaffing and difficulties with the administration as facility weaknesses.

Lindner Center of Hope accepts most major insurance plans, including Aetna, Cigna Behavioral Health, Humana, Medicare, Medical Mutual, and United Behavioral Health. Financing options are available, and some patients may qualify for financial assistance.

Updated January 2018

[1] https://goo.gl/iUJh1T

[2] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Lindner-Center-of-Hope/reviews

Published on February 2018

Management sucks, incompetence is probably the word that best describes this organization! My experience is with the inexperienced people that are promoted into roles that are not clinically educated. You have STNA’s becoming MHS’s in less than a year! No team work.

Excellent care!

I went to Lindner Center many times and only once as I put on full ed protocol no matter how much I was struggling with food they didn’t seem to care because my weight was “normal”. Other times they’d just put me on purge protocol which just means your locked out of your bathroom. The staff accused me of self harming for attention. And then I was told I was not allowed to come back. I also have many friends who haven’t been allowed to go back. What’s the point of having a hospital if you don’t help people?

All I can say is because of the Sibcy house "life is good". The sibcy house was a place where I felt safe and understood. Before attending the program, I had struggled with addiction and severe depression. It affected my relationships and ability to have a stable fulfilling life. I never once felt judged by the staff or patients at the Sibcy house. The group sessions were also very I instrumental in achieving my path to recovery. The Sibcy house saved my marriage, saved my relationships with my children and gave me tools to cope with the roller coaster of life without having to self medicate. Thank you Sibcy House for a fulfilling and content life!

About six years ago, I had three rounds in the adolescent ward of Lindner. I was there for severe anorexia and depression. When I got there I was forced to give up all of my belongings so that they could then be kept "safe behind the counter". I eventually had to give up my clothes. Until the staff deemed me "safe" I was forced to wear hospital scrubs and nothing else. I was a severely malnourished girl with a body temperature of less than 95° f. I desperately needed a sweater in that facility, yet I was not "safe" enough to have one. My first night there I fell asleep in a windowless, cold to the sound of someone crying down the hall. The next morning I tried to get up and get ready, only to find that I had been put on bed rest. Even though they had accepted me, my heart rate was apparently too low to get up and walk, even though I had walked into their facility the night before. I spent my first day there confined to my little room, only allowed to come out during meals. When I progressed to being able to sit in a wheelchair, I finally went to groups. I must say that the group therapy was nice and a good part of my day. It did solve a few issues, but not much. The worst part of my stay was that the wheelchair became my new prison. I was completely confined to the chair. I could not even get out to stretch. I had to eat to get out, is what I was told. If I could go 24 hours of eating 100% of my food, I might get out, if my heart rate was good. I cried because I was in pain from sitting on my boney bottom all day. I cried because I wanted out but I just could not bring myself to eat the food. They then had the audacity to offer me mere over the counter pain killers. The only reason I got out of the wheelchair, and out of Lindner was because my mother fought tooth and nail to get me out early. That facility did more harm than good. The second time though, I must say that I made great progress. I connected with staff and other patients. I worked out a lot of issues. And the doctors treated me as an adult, not a child. My second and third stay there did more good than my 13 week stay in a residential facility for solely eating disorders. And the best part: no wheelchair that time. I do not know how Lindner is now, but overall I would say to thoroughly research it before going there. They did A LOT of things wrong, but they did do some things right. In the end, it is the patients choice where they want to go.

The Lindner Center of Hope has helped me many years and I think all the staff know what they are known for. That’s why I know it’s the best place to go for mental health.

Very ineffective treatment. Now at a different facility and seeing much much better results. Don’t waste your time or money. Patient got worse while staying with these clowns. All of the testing revealed absolutely nothing new and treatment plan was non existent except to stay there as long as possible. There are much better treatment facilities. Avoid this one.

I had the misfortune of becoming a Sibcy House patient a few years ago. Let me tell you, the staff is completely inexperienced, lazy, and mostly on a power trip over individuals in their program. I was told by the art "therapist" that I was not allowed to walk outside during her "therapy" sessions for no reason whatsoever. The staff nurse accused me of cutting myself with a razor that I checked out for 15 minutes to use in the shower. The nurse then confronted me about this - in front of other patients - and forced me to consent to search of my body that humiliated me, and severely traumatized me to this day. My "therapist" encouraged me to "open up" about past traumas. When I did, she accused me of making the whole thing up. Overall, a complete waste of $40,000 that would have been better spent on a new car. I wouldn't recommend Sibcy House to my worst enemy.

My daughter was manic and she admitted herself into this facility. Pretty place with unprofessional help. They only care about the insurance money and have no program during stay to help you emotionally or physically recover. She went to another facility to the west of Lindner and it was incredibly helpful. This other facility had caring doctors and a plan inside and out of the program for a longer term rehab.

Excellent program. The only place to go for mental health and addiction issues

My family member was an inpatient for 6 days. He NEVER saw a Psychiatrist. A nurse practioner was the best they had to offer. The "Therapeutic Recreation" consisted of name that tune and trivia games....similar to what activities are offered in nursibg homes for the elderly. The Lindner name is on this facility and that should mean better quality treatment than this. I would recommend Christ Hospital or Good Sam.

Excellant Care. Top notch staff. Programs are the best there is .

Recently I attended the acute Eating Disorder inpatient program. I was not allowed to have snacks. While everyone was really nice, I was told I needed to eat everything. I was given a form after every meal to fill out about my thoughts about the meal and to rate the urges I felt during the meal. I was the only patient in the Eating Disorder program on the unit. Nobody ever talked to me about the thoughts and attitudes I had towards my eating disorder. I was sent home only 6 days after checking in and was told that I no longer qualified for inpatient. Although my eating had started to become more normalized, dairy and fruits and vegetables were not encouraged, nor were they a part of my meal plan. They asked if I was ready to go home the first time they told me I would be going home. I live in a different state. It seemed like I never had an individual plan. They never went over my meal plan while I was in treatment, and now I'm starting to struggle again. This is not a good eating disorder program. It's geared towards more mental illnesses, like bipolar, depression, skitzophrenia, etc. I was not given enough adequate time to prepare to leave, but they would not listen and keep me. They only based my progress on whether I was eating or not, not the mentality behind the Eating Disorder behaviors or attitude towards food and exercise. They also didn't emphasize or make sure I was hydrated or drank enough water.

Lindner Center of HOPE encourages those with questions or comments about patient care and practices to contact our patient advocate at 513-536-0881.

Sadly, very expensive and maybe the most unsupportive and lazy staff imaginable. Staff working sibcy house were angry, overworked, under trained/educated and had no problem displaying this to patients. There were a select few that offered a professional stance and sincere effort to guide and work effectively with patients. It's a nice facility but the training and professionalism of staff is underwhelming. $70,000 stay at Sibcy House. Not worth it. Look elsewhere.

They dont care about the patient only care about money. If you dont have it they will not help you. This place is ajoke

Worse place ever. They treated me like a lab rat. Do not go to this place.

They don't take you seriously. They minimize your issues.

My loved one has been to several rehabs. This is the only one that is individual focused, not group focused. Also a true dual diagnosis facility with mental health being primary and how it drives addiction. They look at physical health, mental health and the addiction. Also a faculty that treats bipolar and other stable mental health issues. Well worth the cost compared to what others offer

My insurance covered each time I was admitted, so cost was not a problem. All the rooms are private, which was great. It was a lot cleaner than some other facilities I have experienced. No life changing therapy, but that isn't the objective of crisis stabilization. One admission got me hooked up with a DBT therapist. The psychiatrists I've had there have worked closely with my outpatient psychiatrist regarding med changes. At times, it seemed like there was a high patient to staff ratio. Decent enough overall.

They were very helpful and very kind. They did not have many vegan options for meals.I thought the staff was great at the Lindner Center. They were very friendly and very helpful

TERRIBLE FACILITY it is laughable. I have had several family members admit for short stays. They are not staffed well. They basically do nothing but ensure you receive a bill. PT's there for eating disorders there offer no healthy foods. The food would not be healthy for a person who is interested in eating healthy. Their list of coping skills starts w taking a bath, reading, etc... If you or your loved one is there as many family members discussed they are long past those ridiculous coping methods. There are much better facilities if you research.

Strengths: Experienced, caring staff. Many amenities. Some programs are out of reach for all but the wealthiest patients.

Doctors and councelors were great. However, it was expensive. It was a great help.

They're caring people, it's clean & the food is good. They genuinely want their patients to heal. The only one I felt was that it seemed small and had a restricted yard area. I think they were great and helped my loved one get to the root of the problem. I would recommend them for sure.

Close, clean, innovative. However, it was expensive. My friend relapsed almost immediately. I believe this is good for some but not all.

It was clean. Staff experience was a weakness. Need better training for counselors.

What was good. Dedicated staff. Well- intentioned. Beautiful facility. What was not good? I really wanted to quit the first day. Realize now that I should have. I held hope that this program would be helpful. I doubted myself .. Due to panic, fear. Constantly felt angry about the hours and hours and hours of sitting and sitting and sitting while kind, well- intentioned, poorly prepared associates droned on hour after painful hour. During this time we all discussed quitting, but we were all too desperate, fearful. We needed to beable to do more physically. Depressed people need to MOVE. This is a basic principle of care. There were no movement classes, games, opportunities to move. Being so over-medicated made us less likely to want to move. Lectures emphasized problems and supported "sick and broken mentality. There was no art or any activity to tap into a healthy sense of play that is essential for recovery. Day after day we came... Hoping things would get better. The lecturers sat and read to us for hours. As a professional educator I was furious that this was allowed. Part of my anxiety was the high expectations of fulfilling the 22 behaviors of excellent teachers by which we are evaluated twice a year. Here I was paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a program in which the teachers would not even fulfill 5 of the excellent teaching indicators. It was so bad that we all were convinced that things had to get better. Even depressed we had some optimism that all this effort had to produce something better if we were just patient... We were so patient. Nothing got better. Afterward I berated myself for being so trusting and clueless and wasting so much money. I was furious. I am still furious. I would not give a bad evaluation at the time because I truly did see that the staff meant well. Just now realized that I need to work through this Lindner experience and let it go. I was doing my best. You were doing your best. I would humbly suggest you do some serious research into effective treatment of depression, I would also humbly request that start with "Uncovering Happiness" and "The Now Effect". Also suggest that you put a health care practitioner in one of your programs. I can guarantee you that person will come out more....depressed.. Even without tranquilizers. Really, sitting all day? Being talked at and read to all day? This is award winning care? I do not want to hurt anyone or your program. I just needed to express my deep disappointment over my wasted time that caused more trauma than it alleviated. Since my experience I have heard that the program at Good Sam is much better. Too late for me...and for my class friends... But maybe you could take a look and see what they are doing. My life was really on the line. Now that I am on the other side of the mountain I Feel compelled to do everything I can to see that others who deal with mental illness get the most effective and empowering help available. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

The Lindner Center will not refill prescriptions on the weekend. You are on your own. I would not recommend the Lindner Center for anyone with serious problems particularly if the Lindner Center has no expertise in that area.

I would never recommend the Lindner Center of Hope. Not only did (it) not work, but I was even given false hope. This was the cruelest thing you can do to a person who has done everything the doctors suggested...Don't put your health and life in the hands of (this facility)

A close friend was treated and seems to be emotionally better after treatment.