Livengrin in Bensalem, PA

Family Support Program
Alumni Program
Small Therapy Groups

ABOUT LIVENGRIN

Based in the suburban town of Bensalem, Pa., Livengrin offers a full continuum of services for adults struggling with substance abuse. Based on an individual’s needs, they may enroll in the nonprofit organization’s detox, residential, or outpatient programs. Outpatient services, available at seven separate centers, are provided at a variety of levels, including standard outpatient, an intensive outpatient program (IOP), and day treatment. The center also provides DUI education and specialized treatment tracks for nurses, first responders, and individuals with co-occurring mental health disorders.

Upon admission, clients participate in a full assessment that includes a physical exam, medical history, and financial counseling. Those who require medical attention begin their treatment with medically managed detox, which is conducted in a separate unit and lasts several days.

Once stabilized, many clients transition into the center’s residential program. The 28-day rehab offers a highly structured schedule that includes individual counseling, group counseling, 12-step meetings, and life skills training. The program also encourages self-reflection through meditation and journaling.

Those enrolled in standard outpatient treatment can expect to participate in individual, group, and family therapy for up to three hours per week. Intensive outpatient program (IOP) treatment is similar, but includes up to three separate sessions each week. Day treatment is similar to residential treatment in that clients spend a full day on-site, but return home in the evening.

According to the facility’s website, Livengrin’s staff is comprised of medical doctors, nurses, counselors, psychologists and other experienced personnel. To date, the 35 alumni, their family and friends, and the facility's staff who were polled on the matter awarded the staff's level of experience and training 4.11 out of five stars.

Livengrin’s pastoral setting provides guests with a peaceful environment for reflection and recovery. Clients can spend their free time strolling along the facility’s surrounding walking trails, gathering with their peers in the outdoor sitting areas, reading in the library, or exercising in the fitness center. There is also an on-site computer resource room, basketball court, and convenience store.

Living and communal areas are furnished simply, but in a warm, homelike fashion. Clients sleep in twin beds and share bedrooms with one other resident. Meals are prepared on-site by a professional kitchen staff. Laundry supplies are provided. Cell phone use is permitted.

To date, Rehabs.com has received dozens of alumni reviews of the facility, most of which were generally positive. Out of five stars, 12 alumni polled on the matter gave an average rating of 4.75 stars for the likelihood they'd recommend the facility to others. These 12 alumni also awarded an average 4.08 stars for the level of family participation and 4.25 stars for the facility's affordability. Alum Thomas noted that his treatment was "worth the cost." Another alum, Nina, wrote, "The counselors are there to guide you, giving you the tools for success in your recovery."

In fact, staff experience received the highest rating of 4.5 stars from the 12 alumni respondents. Most written feedback regarding the facility's strengths revolved around staff knowledge, availability, and attentiveness. One anonymous alum wrote, "The staff is wonderful," and another commented, "Counselors are always available." Alum G.C., who gave treatment effectiveness five out of five stars and listed no facility weaknesses, praised the "Knowledge of addiction by a strong staff."

The center's holistic offerings received one of the lowest overall ratings of 3.1 stars based on 10 survey responses. Counseling options fared slightly better, with 3.1 average stars from 11 respondents. Michael noted that the counselors and staff were “great,” but added that a 12-step approach is “not for everyone,” and Kurt felt that there were “not enough non therapeutic activities.”

Reviews were similarly mixed to positive on Google reviews, where 26 reviewers gave the facility an average rating of 3.1 out of five stars to date.[1] Staff received praise on this site as well, and one reviewer representatively commented, "their staff were kind, caring , and supportive." Lower ratings were given by individuals who had problems with the center's customer service and its billing process.

The dozens of loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date also generally praised the facility. A representative pool of 22 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com gave an average rating of 3.95 stars for the likelihood they'd recommend the facility to others. The 22 loved ones also gave an average rating of four stars for the facility's counseling options and 3.59 stars for the level of family participation. “Their counsolers work with the family are are wonderful to deal with,” loved one Denis wrote.

Loved ones were least impressed with the center’s holistic offerings, where 19 loved ones offered this aspect of the facility an average rating of 2.63 stars. In addition, 21 survey respondents gave an average rating of 3.05 stars for the ease of communication with their loved ones.

The center's affordability earned a high rating of 3.8 stars from 21 family and friends. However, a few loved ones expressed concern with billing and insurance: "They said they took insurance took the down payment then had to leave after 3 days unless u can pay in full," N.J.S.T. wrote.

To date, two staff members provided feedback to Rehab.com. Their feedback was very positive. Both staff members gave four- out of five-star ratings or higher for the overall quality of the program, privacy, loyalty to patients, and protocols. When asked about Livengrin's strengths, one staff member listed "Dual recovery treatment, and 12 step work, as well as small group and individually therapy." The other felt the "Strong level of concern and care for patients" was the center's greatest attribute.

According to the facility’s website, Livengrin accepts most commercial insurance and managed care plans, as well as self-pay. The facility's HealthGrove page also indicates that state insurance other than Medicaid is accepted, as well as Access to Recovery (ATR) vouchers.

[1] https://goo.gl/6k6WNE

Published on March 2018

jan

Why doesn\'t these reviews have dates on them? They can be from 5-10-15-20 yrs.ago. I was in there in 2000 something and they were pretty good. There\'s one nurse that\'s VERY rude and has been on their staff for yrs. I need to go somewhere where the patients are are older like me and don\'t constantly brag & relive their \"drugging\" days. Livengrin seems to always accommodate young teens & 20 yr. olds which makes it harder for living situations in a room for 2 or 3 people so young who have nothing at all in common. Most people of my age want \"out\" for this reason. I REALLY WANT to get into a detoxification program where people actually take it \"seriously.\"

J T

Facility is awful. I had a relative there and we had problems with 2 staff members ... they are controlling and withheld vital information from our loved one. When I complained on social media their VP and Chief Clinical Officer send me an email! Did I hit a nerve?

AG

Livengrin refuses to address legitimate concerns and questions. Asking them a question about why they don\'t answer questions or respond to negative reviews on their Facebook page results in deletion of the comment and being banned. I would not recommend a treatment center that doesn\'t address legitimate concerns or complaints.

MJB

Strengths: Family programs, counselors. Some weaknesses: Food, detox rooms

They helped my love one get better and into Asians living so they are more helpful. i think my loved one could of had more communication with us. LivingGreen was good for my love one what they did was get my loved one clean and stay clean for the last 6 month. I'm glad to have her back because of them.

Ab

When attending this program I found it very inconsistent as I tried to put my life and professional identity back together. A treatment program need offer a means to regain strength and hope. It\'s purpose to teach the tools to make sobriety possible, however because of the number of new therapists in a very short period of time it was extremely difficult. The program did not seem to adhere to to 12-step principles that it emphasized. Unfortunately for professional Nurses it is the only program in the area. Nurses come from other states to attend this program. For many of us we must attend this program in order to regain our licensure. Follow up care IOP and GOP are also poorly organized. Again no continuity to care and therapy. Poorly managed by people NOT in recovery further reducing a viable effective program. I did not find the program very supportive when I was there. I Often struggled just to keep up with the number of therapists. That was very very stressful and frustrating. I wondered why the treatment center was unable to retain employees. Working conditions? I cannot comment about, but surly must be influential. A program should be stable and consistent. More respectful to clients struggling to achieve successful sobriety. Relapse risks are encouraged to be listed as triggers. This program fit well in that list. Sobriety is enough of a challenge. Principles taught as a program of growth and recovery need be modeled and followed by the directors / Heath professionals. One should not have to struggle with the difficulty of sobriety AND deal with a poor treatment structure. Also a very effective less addictive alternatives for drug assisted treatment is not offered. (Soboxone and vivitrol) Why a treatment center would not make available these choices to clients is negligent in its delivery of care. All available options should be made available. Overall I give this program poor marks. Is a shameful example of drawing in sick people for profit and delivering no real substantial or effective treatment, Prospective Nurses needing treatment beware. Sent from my iPhone

robert

Inpatient treatment and staff were very good. The health care providers program leaves a lot to be desired. The center city o/p program for health care providers, is so poor, I cannot believe that the state allows this to even be called treatment. PHMP should investigate Livengrin o/p practices.

Andrea

Please do not go there very insensitive staff, they make it seem nice in the beginning and as soon as your family leaves they get nasty, don\'t tell you where your room is at just rummage through your stuff that\'s all packed neatly , no detox meds for 48 hours and the nursing staff especially is dressed very un professional no doctors on site counselors ignore you your locked in the detox unit like a mental patient, I do not see how they could at least not take the profanity written on the walls off but I guess that\'s their way!!!

S M

Great staff. Follow up care lacking. They care and are well trained

D D

Very personable but not enough beds. This rehab helped my brother tremendously! I would highly recommend it for anyone who really desires help!

Stephen

It works but only 12 steps are encouraged. I went into this facility a broken man dependant on heroin. And within 28 days I was repaired enough to become a successful member of society and equiped with a new set of coping skills that allow me to live life on life's terms

Staff was good but costly. Check costly carefully

Nice doctors, the food wasn't good. A loved one attended

Strengths: great setting, very peaceful , eliminates distractions but needs more attention to individual needs. I think this facility was extremely valuable since my relative has not since relapsed and my family had a very positive experience with them

Great doctors.

It's hard to point out positives while detoxing. My brother used for opiate addiction. Very good friend for alcohol. Both eventually successful.

The one on one counseling was a strength. Not enough time with one on one sessions but Counselors are compassionate

Liz

Faculty and staff are excellent. A centralized inpatient facility and variety of outpatient locations for continued care. Good alumni followup and continued fellowship. Only private insurance accepted. After my insurance dropped coverage on day 7, Livengrin found money in the scholarship fund for me and had a payment plan for after I left so I could continue my care for the full 28 days inpatient. Saved my life. Sober since when I was admitted.

Friendly yet professional staff. Facility well naintained. Discharge planning follow up was weakness. In a suburban housing community yet feels secluded and private

They help the person and there loved to deal with issues. That were able to take my love one and get them help and countinue help after they were done in the treatment

very helpful

The facility was clean. The facility didn't include my family in the treatment process. They didn't give adequate connection to the outside world. They didn't have exercise classes. This was a low income facility that the state has neglected.

My brother went there on his own, something they did got through to him but we knew he had to go on his own. He has been sober ever since!

Cleanliness was a strength. Staff could've been better. Hire people with experience

To help in get better, It's was amazing learning

They were disciplined with the meeting schedules. Not efficient with medication disputation. Staff wasn't friendly or equpped well enough for the clients in the state they're in and dealing with while at the facility. More bed side manner with the patients and cleaner rooms. Along with better accommodations in each room. For example, nicer mattresses that aren't worst then prison beds without spiders and bugs, etc..

They were able to help my family member in a way that no one else was able to. It was 7 years ago and my family member is still in recovery and taking it day by day. They were able to do what others were not able to do

residential drug treatment programs are the best tool available when it comes to helping a current drug addict become a recovering addict.

JMJ

THE BAD: the nursing staff and so called doctor on site was clueless on benzo taper a 3 day taper DOES NOT WORK!!! I was then sent to the rehab side where the houses were beautiful and you got 3 healthy meals a day and got to meet some very intelligent inmates. After the first week I was in pain from the benzo detoxification the pain lasted for my whole 28 day stay. The staff were caring and I\'m happily employed with the city of Philadelphia within 2 weeks of being discharged. I\'m Still on the klonipin bc its medically nessecaey. As far as alcohol goes i have not had a drink thanks to the fine counselors and staff at livegrin

Joe

AVOID this place at all cost you can not detox off anything in 3-5 days. Go through your doctor or for painkillers get into a suboxone program. Food was actually good along with the houses. Staff was clueless besides 2 guys.

DC

I would NOT recommend the Livengrin outpatient program. On 12/07/15 at about 10:45 AM I called this rehab to schedule an intake evaluation appointment because I am reaching out to get help & turn my life around. However, the phone call I just had left me completely discouraged. Unfortunately, I was unable to get this woman\'s name. But, I decided to be 100% honest with this lady on the phone which is a big deal for me considering the fact that I am an addict & lying has been a way of life for me....So, I proceeded to tell this woman the truth about what has been going on & I mentioned that I had relapsed after going to inpatient treatment. She then told me (in a rude manner) that I won\'t be accepted into the outpatient program because I relapsed....That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!! I am TRYING to do the right thing & get back into a program. I decide to tell the truth & she continued to talk down to me like I was a worthless human being. So just wanted to thank whoever this woman is for shooting down the motivation I had to get clean & sober and get back into a program. I feel totally defeated and she is not making this company look good at all. My insurance company & I will not be giving a dime to the Livengrin Foundation. I\'m completely disgusted with the telephone customer service representative or whomever it was I spoke to on the phone. If she is judge mental & looks down on addicts then she clearly doesn\'t understand the disease of addiction and therefore SHOULD NOT be working for a rehab!!!! This woman should be fired. I was turned away I disgust from the conversation I had with her. Who knows how many others could have felt the same? And who knows maybe some of those people gave up on. This is a life or death situation and to have people like this woman working on the phones and in a sense being the face of the Livengrin company is completely irresponsible. I am sorry for the rant but I am extremely upset & angry with the entire situation. I will now be on the hunt to look for another outpatient program. I\'m not giving that woman the power to effect my choice on recovery. I will pray for her & this company to get it together!!!

They helped my love one get better and into Asians living so they are more helpful. i think my loved one could of had more communication with us. LivingGreen was good for my love one what they did was get my loved one clean and stay clean for the last 6 month I'm glad to have her back because of them.

great.

Thomas

It was worth the cost because there was Individual direction and counselors that were honest. Therapists told me exactly who I was and guided me based on what defects they saw the minute I came through the door. I got no special attention and was given constructive criticism by staff on a daily basis that I needed to hear. Recovery focused,they lead and guide, don't coddle

Walt

excellent program.

It was a good facility.

Decent facility

Kurt

Great counselors. Clean and spacious rooms. Not enough non therapeutic activities. The best decision I've ever made was going to Livengrin.

Michael

Strengths include: Caring and helpful staff -very structured days -lots of groups and lectures during the day -family therapy -The Day of Enlightenment lecture to educate family members on addiction -very clean -the food is good. -there is gym and outside walking track that can be used by patients. -the houses that patients stay in are nice. -daily 12 step meetings -patients go out into community for a 12 step meeting. -spiritual counseling from a non-denominational reverend for those people who want to speak to a clergy person. However, it's a 12 step approach and the 12 steps are not for everyone. All of the counselors and staff were great. I felt comfortable talking to them about anything, whether it is was about something serious or just small talk. Everyone made me feel welcome. The counselors and staff know all about addiction inside and out. I learned a lot from being there.

MB

The location was great and all who received treatment are still in recovery.

Gregory

In my time at Livengrin I was provided a much needed step to transition from using to clean time. It's not easy but it can save your life if you want it to! Knowledge of addiction by a strong staff with a "been there myself" know how

Counselors are always available. Facility is very nice and clean. Housing was exceptional. Daily classes were very informative. Aftercare classes and alumni meetings keep you involved. The food was good but could slightly improve. Also- no more pay phones, calls should be free! My experience was what it needed to be: learning, practicing, and understanding my problem. I wouldn't change anything and I had the experience I needed. It saved my life and I'm grateful for that.

Well trained counselors. My loved one has benefitted from this facility. He uses the skills he learned in his continued recovery. However, the facility could use some updating.

The treatment was excellent, I would highly recommend it.

This facility has a very good detox program, as well as rehab program. Rehab program has amazing housing, which is separated between women and men. Strengths included: experienced staff, dual diagnosis treatment, interesting lectures and activities and excellent personal privacy. Downfalls included: not enough variety of activities, it was a little expensive, not enough free time, no classes or activities for the creative arts.

The counselors were great; they helped my brother big time. The visiting hours were limited. Other than visiting hours, I can't complain.

NJST

Don't go when they can't check insurance on weekends unless u can afford to pay! Big downfall! Very disappointed in their financial staff! Didn't have enough time to see how good they could have been! They said they took insurance took the down payment then had to leave after 3 days unless u can pay in full.

Communication and dedication was excellent. They really care about making you understand your disease. The food was terrible, but keep in mind I was there 22 years ago. I still remember every counselor at the rehab. It was the greatest experience of my life.

TF

My aftercare treatment was Intensive Outpatient Therapy for 10 weeks. This treatment facility saved my life. It is top notch and I highly recommend it to anyone , any age, to begin the process of recovery. It provided me the tools I needed to live in the real world.

GM

It helped me.

I haven't had any alcohol since 5 days prior to entering.

Jan

Strengths included: Dual recovery treatment, and 12 step work, as well as small group and individually therapy. It was a caring facility.

terrence

I was here for detox. Although I was bored & miserable the time I spent with the staff always went surprisingly well. The nurses are so nice, the counselors are very professional. I left and they still cared for me and respected me until I stepped out. They got me into a good IOP as well. LGBT friendly.

Great Place. The staff is wonderful. The detox area is a bit old.

Larry M.

You are given the tools for living sober. Use them and each day becomes easier.

Mike

Livengrin has a lot staff techs who are in recovery themselves. When discussing your problems & issues you know they know exactly how your feeling.

anonymous

Strong level of concern and care for patients. Staff holds patients accountable.

anonymous

I understand that personal visits can be risky, but it would have been nice to be able to see my friend. Too expensive and too easy for former patients to relapse with no added support

anonymous

Facility is great but the our son is still in denial.

Barb

I wish the out of pocket costs were less. I feel $400.00 a day for detox is to high.

Scott

Good treatment.

JK

Helped my kid become and stay clean.

Denis

This rehab has been around for a very long time and always looks to improve! Their counsolers work with the family are are wonderful to deal with. Livengren is a very professional, helpful and caring with lots of after care programs!

Nina

Livengrin Foundation gives you every opportunity to succeed in your recovery, the counselors are there to guide you, giving you the tools for success in your recovery. not to mention the aftercare they provide. If you want to live Drug and Alcohol free and feeling helpless and hopeless, There is a way out, Livengrin Foundation can give you that foundation to live a productive, free life, with Hope, Esteem, Self worth. Drug and Alcohol Free. To build relationships were torn apart by our addiction, and build new friendships with sober people as well. Having a life beyond your wildest dreams. Yes, the amount of money rehab costs, is worth every penny. My life is worth more today.

Daniel

I highly recommend Livengrin.

Jessica

Aftercare consisted of intense outpatient at Livengrin then general outpatient.

dpk

Went to four to five group meetings per day. Helped me out a lot.