Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Eating Disorders in Columbiana, AL

Call (205) 678-4373 to Contact Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Eating Disorders

(4 of 5)
162 Magnolia Creek Drive
Columbiana AL 35051

Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Eating Disorders Philosophy

Magnolia Creek's programs emphasize self-acceptance, validation, and personal empowerment. As such, we acknowledge the client as the most important member of the treatment team. Treatment at Magnolia Creek is active rather than passive, collaborative rather than imposed, and personal rather than detached. We believe that clients can fully recover, not simply manage, their disorders. In addition to traditional group and individual therapy, our program offers art, movement, recreational, exposure, and cooking groups. Our evidence-based treatment model emphasizes both group and individual therapy. Clients have five to eight weekly individual sessions (with the primary therapist, family therapist, dietitian, psychiatrist, nurse practitioner/nutritional medicine physician, and clinical director), in addition to 20 to 30 hours of group therapy.

• Process Abuse Treatment
    Not all addictions involve mood-altering chemicals. The term “process addiction” describes the unhealthy use of behaviors (including eating, gambling, sexual activity, shopping, internet use, etc.) that has spiraled out of control and into the realm of addiction.

• Eating Disorder Treatment
    Many mental health professionals view eating disorders (including anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder, along with other dysfunctional eating patterns) as a food addiction – in that food is used in ways other than as fuel or a source of pleasure. Some, but not all, addiction treatment programs include eating disorder treatment as part of the service menu. Also, an eating disorder may be a dual-diagnosis or a co-occurring disorder with drug or alcohol addiction.

Family week each month

Small facility offering individualized care

32 acres of land with lake, paddle boat, fire pit and walking trail

ABOUT MAGNOLIA CREEK TREATMENT CENTER FOR EATING DISORDERS

Near Birmingham, Ala., Magnolia Creek Treatment Center offers residential treatment and a partial hospitalization program (PHP) for adult women struggling with eating disorders and co-occurring concerns, such as substance use, mood disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Medical detox is not available on-site.

Clients take an active role in their recovery. The collaborative spirit draws on personal strengths in an atmosphere of personal empowerment, acceptance, and validation. Treatment integrates 12-step principles, which the program considers “an essential tool for people struggling with addictive behaviors and thought processes.”

Clients meet with their therapist up to four times per week, as well as weekly with their dietitian, a psychiatrist, and physician or nurse practitioner. The program is rigorous and highly scheduled with 6:15 a.m. wake-up, three meals and three snacks daily, plus exercise, group and individual counseling, journaling, and experiential activities.

Psychoeducational sessions address grief and loss, body appreciation, trauma, and boundaries and relationships. Medication management is also available for individuals struggling with co-occurring mental health concerns. The PHP operates on weekdays, and clients in PHP can be provided with furnished apartments, as needed. Upon discharge, Magnolia Creek provides ongoing therapeutic or dietetic consultations as an aftercare protocol.

Magnolia Creek is accredited by The Joint Commission. The team includes therapists, doctors, nurses, and dietitians, and a chef.

Magnolia Creek is a 24-bed facility set on 36 acres with a private lake, wooded walking trails, recovery garden, and outdoor therapy area. All clients share rooms. An on-site chef, who can accommodate dietary preferences, conducts a weekly cooking class. Residents regularly participate in recreational outings.

To date, the five alumni polled by Rehabs.com offered mixed opinions about Magnolia Creek. Three individuals praised the facility, one offered moderately favorable opinions, and one alum was critical of the facility.

Alum B.M., who completed an extended survey, consistently gave top ratings for most evaluated metrics, including perfect five-star ratings for the facility's cleanliness, the quality of counseling, the inclusion of holistic offerings, and the staff's level of experience and training. Alum Annie agreed, writing: "The staff was both caring and tough."

Several alumni considered their experience life changing/saving and praised staff and the facility's discharge planning. Isolated complaints concerned poor conditions and insufficient therapy.

On its Facebook page, which the organization can manage, the facility received five out of five-star ratings from all six reviewers to date. [1] Reviewers also commended the caring and effective staff.

The two loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date submitted conflicting feedback. Parent Cyndi praised the facility's staff and wrote: "Magnolia Creek gave our family back our daughter. They literally saved her life." However, parent J.L. reported that their daughter failed to see her psychiatrist.

On Indeed, one staff member to date rated Magnolia Creek four out of five stars; four other reviews pertain to a different facility. [2] The employee enjoyed helping “women in the time of crisis,” but noted the facility could be “short handed at times.”

Magnolia Creek accepts most major medical/behavioral health insurance and is in-network with Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Cigna.

CONCLUSION

In December 2016, al.com reported that Magnolia Creek had been bought by Tennessee-based Odyssey Behavioral Healthcare, which planned "to further resource the organization." On April 26, 2017, a blog post on “Magnolia Creek Celebrates Grand Re-Opening,” announced the addition of a 10-bed residential cottage, which increased the facility's capacity to 24 beds.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/magnoliacreekED/reviews/?ref=page_internal

[2] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Magnolia-Creek/reviews

Published on April 2018

This Facility is wonderful & I have lots of information to share about my experiences here that I will be posting to my personal blog & linking in Psych Central. Cut & Dry this facility is NOT FOR MENTAL DISORDER DIAGNOSIS ALONE. This is an ED Facility & if you’re told otherwise do NOT believe what you are told. It’s completely geared around ED & For ED & a wonderful Facility for it just not a program for Mental health DO like Bipolar.

Magnolia Creek is an amazing facility. I would recommend it to anyone struggling with an ED or any other mental health issue. Care there is second to none. You are not just a number and are treated individually.

Magnolia Creek is a center that I would highly recommend. My daughter became anorexic at the age of 17 and then two years later she became bulimic for 15 years. Magnolia Creek gave our family back our daughter. They literally saved her life. The treatment and counseling she received helped her climb out of the darkness she was so wrapped up in. It has been 11 months since she entered Magnolia Creek and 7 months since she has left MC. She has put in all the work and effort to focus on a healthy life style that MC has enabled her to do so. I don't know what our family would have done without MC. I am forever grateful to all the staff at MC. She has lifelong friends that she made at MC that she calls her sisters. Anyone struggling with an eating disorder she call Magnolia Creek!

As a recent alumni, graduated September-2017, I haved mixed emotions about my Creek experience. Suffering from trauma, Binge Eating Disorder, and Morbid Obesity, I self-admitted into Magolia Creek with three goals:(1) trauma recovery to the extent that my daily living would no longer be constantly disrupted by flashbacks, anxiety, and isolation, (2) relief and recovery from binge-eating (3) physical recovery including weight-loss. During my 8 weeks of treatment, the trauma work and co-dependency excersises were a tremendous help to me. I walked in that first day angry, closed - off and depressed. Day to day functioning skills were non-existent. I was in the worse mental, emotional, and physical health of my life. The therapy and support I recieved at Magnolia Creek saved my life. I also stopped binge-eating while in treatment. But, the weight-loss was a disappointment. Magnolia Creek is the best at helping women recover from anorexia, bulimia, restricting and extreme under-weight. It was truely miraculous to witness the physical healing of those who were under-weight regain pounds to improve their health and appearance. But their nutrition and exercise plans are basically one-size fit all. Their philosophy is that an eating disorder is an eating disorder and therefore should be treated the same. I believe this is their one blind spot which seems to be non-negotiable. Women who suffer from binge- eating disorder and morbid obesity would benefit from a plan of eating and exercising designed to lose weight and improve their mobility. I thought I would receive such a plan, but in the end, although I stuck to their plan, my weight-loss was insignificant. I made several attempts to convince my nutritionist to prescribe a plan to fit my particular needs, but she insisted she knew best and finally, I ceased to voice my opinion because, I was not getting anywhere. I followed her menu and abided by the limited exercise prescribed. I wholeheartedly recommended Magnolia Creek for those suffering from anorexia and or bulimia and the under-weight, but I cannot for the morbid obese.

I am glad to hear that you found the therapeutic work surrounding trauma and codependency helpful. I also wanted to take a moment to address some of your concerns that you brought up about our program. We specialize in the treatment of all eating disorders whether it be anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating disorder. While clients with binge eating disorder may be in the minority at our residential levels of care, we do not have a one size fits all approach when it comes to treatment, including when it comes to our meal plans. Our dietitians work to tailor meal plans to meet each person’s needs, for some this includes weight restoration, for others weight maintenance, and for others, the effect of normalizing eating patterns ends in weight loss. Even if someone has the same goals with regards to weight their meal plans may look very different depending upon their nutritional needs. You are right in the fact that our goal never specifically weight loss. When a client comes in with a pattern of binge eating, weight loss can sometimes be a by-product of regularly following a meal plan. Our approach is that all foods fit, regardless of the type of eating disorder and we do not endorse restricting specific types of foods or food groups. We also do not support a focus on weight loss but more of a holistic improvement in health based on the Health At Every Size (HAES) model. What we know about the research is that focus on weight loss and continuing to support the diet mentality leads to a continuation of the binge/diet cycle and is ineffective in long-term recovery from binge eating disorder. Our goal for clients who are struggling with binge eating while in treatment is to step out of that cycle, normalize eating, and begin to eat both mindfully and intuitively. We also support engagement in movement and view this as a healthy part of recovery. Each client’s recommendations for participation in movement are individualized based on their needs, which can range from the recommendation of no movement to helping individuals reintegrate back into sports such as for competitive athlete, with several steps in between. We wish you the best of luck in your recovery process.

MY TOLIET OVERFLOOD SEVERAL TIMES. SEVERAL MEALS WERE COLD OR GROSS AND MY THERAPIST SAW ME LESS THAN 8 TIMES IN 6 WEEKS. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED.

We sent our daughter here, she was not seen once a week as promised by the psychiatrist, as he did not show up or send someone in his place.

We take all feedback we receive seriously. The treatment plan of our clients is of the utmost importance, and our professional therapists are committed to helping individuals work through obstacles. I appreciate the conversations we have had regarding this matter, and am available to discuss further as you would like. Please contact me, Linda Smith, Executive Director, at 205.677.9819.

This place was amazing! The staff has changed drastically since I was there, so I don't know if it's still as good, which I say because the reason this place was so great was because of the staff that was there during my stay. The two therapists that made this place what is was are now working outpatient in Birmingham, so maybe the new staff isn't as good... I don't know. The chef is fantastic and works really hard to help make recovery fun and educational. I'd give it a try if you are looking for a treatment center that treats you like a human and works with you where you are at in recovery.

After being sick for over 20 years and attending multiple treatment facilities, I can honestly say that Magnolia Creek changed/saved my life. The staff was both caring and tough. They tried to make meal times as easy as possible and groups were informative and helpful. My only problem with this place is that I did not want to leave!

They helped me set up a team to see when I returned home, and checked in with me for a year. 1.5 years I had a relapse but I don't know if I'd consider it a full blown relapse. More of a few slip ups before finding my footing again. They offered me a reduced rate for the time that insurance refused me, it still was more than I can afford though.