Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Eating Disorders

162 Magnolia Creek Drive, Columbiana, Alabama, 35051

4.1

About Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Eating Disorders

Magnolia Creek's programs emphasize self-acceptance, validation, and personal empowerment. As such, we acknowledge the client as the most important member of the treatment team. Treatment at Magnolia Creek is active rather than passive, collaborative rather than imposed, and personal rather than detached. We believe that clients can fully recover, not simply manage, their disorders. In addition to traditional group and individual therapy, our program offers art, movement, recreational, exposure, and cooking groups. Our evidence-based treatment model emphasizes both group and individual therapy. Clients have five to eight weekly individual sessions (with the primary therapist, family therapist, dietitian, psychiatrist, nurse practitioner/nutritional medicine physician, and clinical director), in addition to 20 to 30 hours of group therapy.

Process Abuse Treatment

Not all addictions involve mood-altering chemicals. The term “process addiction” describes the unhealthy use of behaviors (including eating, gambling, sexual activity, shopping, internet use, etc.) that has spiraled out of control and into the realm of addiction.

Eating Disorder Treatment

Many mental health professionals view eating disorders (including anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder, along with other dysfunctional eating patterns) as a food addiction – in that food is used in ways other than as fuel or a source of pleasure. Some, but not all, addiction treatment programs include eating disorder treatment as part of the service menu. Also, an eating disorder may be a dual-diagnosis or a co-occurring disorder with drug or alcohol addiction.

• Family week each month
  • Small facility offering individualized care
  • 32 acres of land with lake, paddle boat, fire pit and walking trail

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT MAGNOLIA CREEK TREATMENT CENTER FOR EATING DISORDERS

Near Birmingham, Ala., Magnolia Creek Treatment Center offers residential treatment and a partial hospitalization program (PHP) for adult women struggling with eating disorders and co-occurring concerns, such as substance use, mood disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Medical detox is not available on-site.

Clients take an active role in their recovery. The collaborative spirit draws on personal strengths in an atmosphere of personal empowerment, acceptance, and validation. Treatment integrates 12-step principles, which the program considers “an essential tool for people struggling with addictive behaviors and thought processes.”

Clients meet with their therapist up to four times per week, as well as weekly with their dietitian, a psychiatrist, and physician or nurse practitioner. The program is rigorous and highly scheduled with 6:15 a.m. wake-up, three meals and three snacks daily, plus exercise, group and individual counseling, journaling, and experiential activities.

Psychoeducational sessions address grief and loss, body appreciation, trauma, and boundaries and relationships. Medication management is also available for individuals struggling with co-occurring mental health concerns. The PHP operates on weekdays, and clients in PHP can be provided with furnished apartments, as needed. Upon discharge, Magnolia Creek provides ongoing therapeutic or dietetic consultations as an aftercare protocol.

Magnolia Creek is accredited by The Joint Commission. The team includes therapists, doctors, nurses, and dietitians, and a chef.

Magnolia Creek is a 24-bed facility set on 36 acres with a private lake, wooded walking trails, recovery garden, and outdoor therapy area. All clients share rooms. An on-site chef, who can accommodate dietary preferences, conducts a weekly cooking class. Residents regularly participate in recreational outings.

To date, the five alumni polled by Rehabs.com offered mixed opinions about Magnolia Creek. Three individuals praised the facility, one offered moderately favorable opinions, and one alum was critical of the facility.

Alum B.M., who completed an extended survey, consistently gave top ratings for most evaluated metrics, including perfect five-star ratings for the facility's cleanliness, the quality of counseling, the inclusion of holistic offerings, and the staff's level of experience and training. Alum Annie agreed, writing: "The staff was both caring and tough."

Several alumni considered their experience life changing/saving and praised staff and the facility's discharge planning. Isolated complaints concerned poor conditions and insufficient therapy.

On its Facebook page, which the organization can manage, the facility received five out of five-star ratings from all six reviewers to date. [1] Reviewers also commended the caring and effective staff.

The two loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date submitted conflicting feedback. Parent Cyndi praised the facility's staff and wrote: "Magnolia Creek gave our family back our daughter. They literally saved her life." However, parent J.L. reported that their daughter failed to see her psychiatrist.

On Indeed, one staff member to date rated Magnolia Creek four out of five stars; four other reviews pertain to a different facility. [2] The employee enjoyed helping “women in the time of crisis,” but noted the facility could be “short handed at times.”

Magnolia Creek accepts most major medical/behavioral health insurance and is in-network with Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Cigna.

CONCLUSION

In December 2016, al.com reported that Magnolia Creek had been bought by Tennessee-based Odyssey Behavioral Healthcare, which planned "to further resource the organization." On April 26, 2017, a blog post on “Magnolia Creek Celebrates Grand Re-Opening,” announced the addition of a 10-bed residential cottage, which increased the facility's capacity to 24 beds.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/magnoliacreekED/reviews/?ref=page_internal

[2] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Magnolia-Creek/reviews

Accreditations & Licenses
  • JCAHO
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

4.1/5
    4.4/5
    3.9/5
    4/5

• Lynn
    Magnolia creek is an amazing place to heal ! The clinical team is knowledgeable and go above and beyond , they truly care !
  • Kimberly
    MC is a good trmt ctr. Yes, there are kinks in the program but I’m sure every treatment center has some kinks. Housing is kept clean. Program is good for clients needing to restore wt. Nursing staff was great! In house staff counselors were grt too, some were a little young & immature for some of the responsibilities handed over to them. Seemed to be short staffed for the amount of responsibilities given. My opinion only. I would recommend Mag Creek & I would trust one of my family members to be in the hands @ MC facility. I was there as a patient during Summer, 2019. Chef needed improvement, but food was good. Doctors were good. I have a lot of medical problems & the physical doctor addressed my issues very wise & w/ cautious! My primary therapist was great. Was not impressed w/ Nutritionist. Came across as treating her clients more of a competition to her peers. Very sad she’s in this kind of job to be claiming to try to help others. Magnolia Creek is a good Ed treat center. It’s not a 5 star program but is a good program w/ caring staff, clean housing. They are very HARD on you if you don’t complete your meals and they are discrete ab it. They take your phone time away from you & make you sit @ the table & give you an accountability sheet for not completing all of your food or meals @ end of day. Meals are huge, large & not always accurately measured out for your correct portions. Then they document you for not eating larger amounts that shouldn’t go against you anyways. They have you eating every 2 hours, hungry OR NOT you EAT!
  • AN
    This Facility is wonderful & I have lots of information to share about my experiences here that I will be posting to my personal blog & linking in Psych Central. Cut & Dry this facility is NOT FOR MENTAL DISORDER DIAGNOSIS ALONE. This is an ED Facility & if you’re told otherwise do NOT believe what you are told. It’s completely geared around ED & For ED & a wonderful Facility for it just not a program for Mental health DO like Bipolar.
  • BB
    Magnolia Creek is an amazing facility. I would recommend it to anyone struggling with an ED or any other mental health issue. Care there is second to none. You are not just a number and are treated individually.
  • Cyndi
    Magnolia Creek is a center that I would highly recommend. My daughter became anorexic at the age of 17 and then two years later she became bulimic for 15 years. Magnolia Creek gave our family back our daughter. They literally saved her life. The treatment and counseling she received helped her climb out of the darkness she was so wrapped up in. It has been 11 months since she entered Magnolia Creek and 7 months since she has left MC. She has put in all the work and effort to focus on a healthy life style that MC has enabled her to do so. I don't know what our family would have done without MC. I am forever grateful to all the staff at MC. She has lifelong friends that she made at MC that she calls her sisters. Anyone struggling with an eating disorder she call Magnolia Creek!
  • EF
    As a recent alumni, graduated September-2017, I haved mixed emotions about my Creek experience. Suffering from trauma, Binge Eating Disorder, and Morbid Obesity, I self-admitted into Magolia Creek with three goals:(1) trauma recovery to the extent that my daily living would no longer be constantly disrupted by flashbacks, anxiety, and isolation, (2) relief and recovery from binge-eating (3) physical recovery including weight-loss. During my 8 weeks of treatment, the trauma work and co-dependency excersises were a tremendous help to me. I walked in that first day angry, closed - off and depressed. Day to day functioning skills were non-existent. I was in the worse mental, emotional, and physical health of my life. The therapy and support I recieved at Magnolia Creek saved my life. I also stopped binge-eating while in treatment. But, the weight-loss was a disappointment. Magnolia Creek is the best at helping women recover from anorexia, bulimia, restricting and extreme under-weight. It was truely miraculous to witness the physical healing of those who were under-weight regain pounds to improve their health and appearance. But their nutrition and exercise plans are basically one-size fit all. Their philosophy is that an eating disorder is an eating disorder and therefore should be treated the same. I believe this is their one blind spot which seems to be non-negotiable. Women who suffer from binge- eating disorder and morbid obesity would benefit from a plan of eating and exercising designed to lose weight and improve their mobility. I thought I would receive such a plan, but in the end, although I stuck to their plan, my weight-loss was insignificant. I made several attempts to convince my nutritionist to prescribe a plan to fit my particular needs, but she insisted she knew best and finally, I ceased to voice my opinion because, I was not getting anywhere. I followed her menu and abided by the limited exercise prescribed. I wholeheartedly recommended Magnolia Creek for those suffering from anorexia and or bulimia and the under-weight, but I cannot for the morbid obese.
  • MC
    MY TOLIET OVERFLOOD SEVERAL TIMES. SEVERAL MEALS WERE COLD OR GROSS AND MY THERAPIST SAW ME LESS THAN 8 TIMES IN 6 WEEKS. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED.
  • JL
    We sent our daughter here, she was not seen once a week as promised by the psychiatrist, as he did not show up or send someone in his place.
  • Anon
    This place was amazing! The staff has changed drastically since I was there, so I don\'t know if it\'s still as good, which I say because the reason this place was so great was because of the staff that was there during my stay. The two therapists that made this place what is was are now working outpatient in Birmingham, so maybe the new staff isn\'t as good... I don\'t know. The chef is fantastic and works really hard to help make recovery fun and educational. I\'d give it a try if you are looking for a treatment center that treats you like a human and works with you where you are at in recovery.
  • Annie
    After being sick for over 20 years and attending multiple treatment facilities, I can honestly say that Magnolia Creek changed/saved my life. The staff was both caring and tough. They tried to make meal times as easy as possible and groups were informative and helpful. My only problem with this place is that I did not want to leave!
  • BM
    They helped me set up a team to see when I returned home, and checked in with me for a year. 1.5 years I had a relapse but I don't know if I'd consider it a full blown relapse. More of a few slip ups before finding my footing again. They offered me a reduced rate for the time that insurance refused me, it still was more than I can afford though.