Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Women in Columbiana, AL

Call (205) 678-4373 to Contact Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Women

162 Magnolia Creek Drive
Columbiana AL 35051

Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Women Philosophy

Magnolia Creek's programs emphasize self-acceptance, validation, and personal empowerment. As such, we acknowledge the client as the most important member of the treatment team. Treatment at Magnolia Creek is active rather than passive, collaborative rather than imposed, and personal rather than detached. We believe that clients can fully recover, not simply manage, their disorders. In addition to traditional group and individual therapy, our program offers art, movement, recreational, exposure, and cooking groups. Our evidence-based treatment model emphasizes both group and individual therapy. Clients have five to eight weekly individual sessions (with the primary therapist, family therapist, dietitian, psychiatrist, nurse practitioner/nutritional medicine physician, and clinical director), in addition to 20 to 30 hours of group therapy.

• Eating Disorder Treatment
    Many mental health professionals view eating disorders (including anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder, along with other dysfunctional eating patterns) as a food addiction – in that food is used in ways other than as fuel or a source of pleasure. Some, but not all, addiction treatment programs include eating disorder treatment as part of the service menu. Also, an eating disorder may be a dual-diagnosis or a co-occurring disorder with drug or alcohol addiction.

• Process Abuse Treatment
    Not all addictions involve mood-altering chemicals. The term “process addiction” describes the unhealthy use of behaviors (including eating, gambling, sexual activity, shopping, internet use, etc.) that has spiraled out of control and into the realm of addiction.

32 acres of land with lake, paddle boat, fire pit and walking trail

Small facility offering individualized care

Family week each month

ABOUT MAGNOLIA CREEK TREATMENT CENTER FOR WOMEN

From a lakeside location in small-town, rural Alabama, 30 miles southeast of Birmingham, Magnolia Creek offers residential treatment and a partial hospitalization program (PHP) for women aged 18+ who are struggling with eating disorders and co-occurring mental health disorders such as trauma, anxiety, depression, personality disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Medical detox is not available on-site.

Clients are encouraged to take an active role in their own recovery, and, crucially, Magnolia Creek holds that full recovery is possible. That collaborative spirit also aims to draw on clients’ personal strengths in an atmosphere of personal empowerment, acceptance, and validation. Clients are free to participate in 12-step meetings on- and off-site, and some 12-step principles are incorporated into the program, but the program is not based on the 12-Steps.

Clients meet with their therapist up to four times per week, as well as weekly meetings with their dietitian, psychiatrist, and physician or nurse practitioner. The program is rigorous and highly scheduled, with a wake-up call at 5:45 a.m. and three meals and three snacks per day, plus daily exercise, group and individual sessions, and journaling. Groups address topics such as grief and loss, body appreciation, trauma education, boundaries and relationships, and trauma education.

The PHP runs on weekdays, and furnished apartments can be provided for clients who live far away.

According to the facility’s website, staff includes an M.D., a registered nurse, social workers, master’s level therapists, a dietitian, and a chef. The single alum polled by Rehabs.com to date on the level of support received from the center’s staff gave it five out of five stars.

This is a 24-bed facility set on 32 acres of land, complete with a lake, a fire pit, and walking trails. All clients share rooms, and an on-site chef, who can accommodate dietary preferences, also conducts a weekly cooking class. Residents also go on regular outings. Magnolia Creek runs a tobacco-free facility.

All three alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date gave glowing reviews of Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Women. Alum B.M., who completed an extended survey, gave the facility five out of five stars in almost all evaluated treatment metrics, including its exercise, leisure, and holistic offerings, and the overall quality of its individual and group counseling. “After being sick for over 20 years and attending multiple treatment facilities, I can honestly say that Magnolia Creek changed/saved my life. The staff was both caring and tough. They tried to make meal times as easy as possible and groups were informative and helpful,” Annie wrote in another typically effusive review; “The chef is fantastic and works really hard to help make recovery fun and educational,” the third reviewer wrote anonymously, echoing Annie’s comments about mealtimes.

At the time of this writing, secondary sites yielded just one review: a five-star rating on Facebook with no accompanying commentary.[1]

The four staff reviews posted on Indeed.com at the time of this writing were mostly positive, giving a 3.8-star average rating and painting a picture of a team that works hard to care for its clients.[2] “The residents are full of life . Helping the residents requires team work and the staff here are very open to making sure the job is done and the residents are taking care of,” one reviewer wrote in a representative review.

CONCLUSION

Treatment costs $500 per day and $45,000 for 90 days. The center accepts insurance and is in-network with Aetna.

In December 2016, al.com reported that Magnolia Creek had been bought by the Tennessee-based outfit Odyssey Behavioral Healthcare, and quoted Odyssey’s CEO as saying: “We plan to further resource the organization to enhance its mission to provide the very best care and treatment of eating disorders available in the southeast, and to expand the 24-bed facility and its affiliated partial hospitalization program to meet the needs of the community.”

Updated April 2017

1. https://www.facebook.com/pg/magnoliacreekED/reviews/

2. https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Magnolia-Creek/reviews

Published on June 2017

Magnolia Creek is a center that I would highly recommend. My daughter became anorexic at the age of 17 and then two years later she became bulimic for 15 years. Magnolia Creek gave our family back our daughter. They literally saved her life. The treatment and counseling she received helped her climb out of the darkness she was so wrapped up in. It has been 11 months since she entered Magnolia Creek and 7 months since she has left MC. She has put in all the work and effort to focus on a healthy life style that MC has enabled her to do so. I don't know what our family would have done without MC. I am forever grateful to all the staff at MC. She has lifelong friends that she made at MC that she calls her sisters. Anyone struggling with an eating disorder she call Magnolia Creek!

As a recent alumni, graduated September-2017, I haved mixed emotions about my Creek experience. Suffering from trauma, Binge Eating Disorder, and Morbid Obesity, I self-admitted into Magolia Creek with three goals:(1) trauma recovery to the extent that my daily living would no longer be constantly disrupted by flashbacks, anxiety, and isolation, (2) relief and recovery from binge-eating (3) physical recovery including weight-loss. During my 8 weeks of treatment, the trauma work and co-dependency excersises were a tremendous help to me. I walked in that first day angry, closed - off and depressed. Day to day functioning skills were non-existent. I was in the worse mental, emotional, and physical health of my life. The therapy and support I recieved at Magnolia Creek saved my life. I also stopped binge-eating while in treatment. But, the weight-loss was a disappointment. Magnolia Creek is the best at helping women recover from anorexia, bulimia, restricting and extreme under-weight. It was truely miraculous to witness the physical healing of those who were under-weight regain pounds to improve their health and appearance. But their nutrition and exercise plans are basically one-size fit all. Their philosophy is that an eating disorder is an eating disorder and therefore should be treated the same. I believe this is their one blind spot which seems to be non-negotiable. Women who suffer from binge- eating disorder and morbid obesity would benefit from a plan of eating and exercising designed to lose weight and improve their mobility. I thought I would receive such a plan, but in the end, although I stuck to their plan, my weight-loss was insignificant. I made several attempts to convince my nutritionist to prescribe a plan to fit my particular needs, but she insisted she knew best and finally, I ceased to voice my opinion because, I was not getting anywhere. I followed her menu and abided by the limited exercise prescribed. I wholeheartedly recommended Magnolia Creek for those suffering from anorexia and or bulimia and the under-weight, but I cannot for the morbid obese.

I am glad to hear that you found the therapeutic work surrounding trauma and codependency helpful. I also wanted to take a moment to address some of your concerns that you brought up about our program. We specialize in the treatment of all eating disorders whether it be anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating disorder. While clients with binge eating disorder may be in the minority at our residential levels of care, we do not have a one size fits all approach when it comes to treatment, including when it comes to our meal plans. Our dietitians work to tailor meal plans to meet each person’s needs, for some this includes weight restoration, for others weight maintenance, and for others, the effect of normalizing eating patterns ends in weight loss. Even if someone has the same goals with regards to weight their meal plans may look very different depending upon their nutritional needs. You are right in the fact that our goal never specifically weight loss. When a client comes in with a pattern of binge eating, weight loss can sometimes be a by-product of regularly following a meal plan. Our approach is that all foods fit, regardless of the type of eating disorder and we do not endorse restricting specific types of foods or food groups. We also do not support a focus on weight loss but more of a holistic improvement in health based on the Health At Every Size (HAES) model. What we know about the research is that focus on weight loss and continuing to support the diet mentality leads to a continuation of the binge/diet cycle and is ineffective in long-term recovery from binge eating disorder. Our goal for clients who are struggling with binge eating while in treatment is to step out of that cycle, normalize eating, and begin to eat both mindfully and intuitively. We also support engagement in movement and view this as a healthy part of recovery. Each client’s recommendations for participation in movement are individualized based on their needs, which can range from the recommendation of no movement to helping individuals reintegrate back into sports such as for competitive athlete, with several steps in between. We wish you the best of luck in your recovery process.

MY TOLIET OVERFLOOD SEVERAL TIMES. SEVERAL MEALS WERE COLD OR GROSS AND MY THERAPIST SAW ME LESS THAN 8 TIMES IN 6 WEEKS. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED.

We sent our daughter here, she was not seen once a week as promised by the psychiatrist, as he did not show up or send someone in his place.

We take all feedback we receive seriously. The treatment plan of our clients is of the utmost importance, and our professional therapists are committed to helping individuals work through obstacles. I appreciate the conversations we have had regarding this matter, and am available to discuss further as you would like. Please contact me, Linda Smith, Executive Director, at 205.677.9819.

This place was amazing! The staff has changed drastically since I was there, so I don't know if it's still as good, which I say because the reason this place was so great was because of the staff that was there during my stay. The two therapists that made this place what is was are now working outpatient in Birmingham, so maybe the new staff isn't as good... I don't know. The chef is fantastic and works really hard to help make recovery fun and educational. I'd give it a try if you are looking for a treatment center that treats you like a human and works with you where you are at in recovery.

After being sick for over 20 years and attending multiple treatment facilities, I can honestly say that Magnolia Creek changed/saved my life. The staff was both caring and tough. They tried to make meal times as easy as possible and groups were informative and helpful. My only problem with this place is that I did not want to leave!

They helped me set up a team to see when I returned home, and checked in with me for a year. 1.5 years I had a relapse but I don't know if I'd consider it a full blown relapse. More of a few slip ups before finding my footing again. They offered me a reduced rate for the time that insurance refused me, it still was more than I can afford though.

Oxford Treatment Center