Magnolia Recovery Center in Hilton Head, SC

2200 Main Street
Hilton Head SC 29926

Magnolia Recovery Center Philosophy

Magnolia Recovery Center's mission is to provide clinical excellence for adults suffering with substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. We offer an integrated approach to treatment, utilizing evidence-based clinical interventions, supported by Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT). Our abstinence-focused approach combined with holistic therapies provide patients with well-rounded care, support and the tools required to live a full life in long-term recovery.

• Upscale Retreat for Recovery
    As a renovated boutique hotel, Hilton Head is an upscale treatment facility located on the beautiful island of Hilton Head in South Carolina within walking distance of beaches and parks. This facility is one of the finest in the region and offers patients a retreat from the chaos that often characterizes a period of addiction. The serenity and beauty of Hilton Head Island is ideal for healing body, mind, and spirit.

• Patients Get Involved in the Community
    At Hilton Head patients will become involved in the community both inside and outside of the facility through recreation therapy, which includes weekends of sober fun activities like going to free concerts in the area or baking cookies for local convalescent homes. Getting patients involved in the community within the facility and outside of the facility offers them a chance to utilize the coping skills they are learning and to apply these to everyday life, setting them up for a successful transition to normal life.

Detox

Detox is often the first level of a treatment plan. This period of no drug use is important for the patient to reach a stable state of mind and body to begin addiction treatment. Our clinical staff will guide and support the patient throughout the entire process.

Residential Treatment

During residential treatment patients live onsite in housing with access to care from clinical staff 24/7. Patients have a full schedule of individual and group therapies according to their unique treatment plan, preparing them for life in recovery.

Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)

To transition from residential treatment to life in recovery, patients go through a progression of care until reaching IOP. Patients will receive ongoing care at the Palm Desert IOP while living in sober housing to adjust to every day life after treatment.

Danielle LaPointe, LPC

Executive Director

Danielle LaPointe leads the team at Magnolia Recovery Center as Executive Director, where her goals are simple: ensure every patient has such an amazing experience that they are afforded the opportunity to recover and equip the staff to make that recovery a reality. She has two decades of experience working with individuals affected by substance use disorders, eating disorders, and process addictions.

After receiving her bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of South Carolina and her master’s degree in professional counseling from Liberty University, Danielle dove headlong into the field that most captured her heart: addiction. She leads the Hilton Head team on the cutting-edge of behavioral health, establishing the facility as a pioneer in the field of substance abuse.

ABOUT MAGNOLIA RECOVERY CENTER

Located within walking distance of the beach on Hilton Head Island, S.C., Magnolia Recovery Center (formerly known as Sunspire Health Hilton Head) provides residential treatment to adults struggling with substance use disorder. The rehab is also one of just two non-hospital, residential facilities in South Carolina to provide on-site medical detox.

When admitted, clients undergo an initial assessment and meet with their primary therapist who designs a personalized treatment plan. The facility utilizes evidence-based practices such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational Interviewing (MI), and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), the latter of which is practiced in 31 percent of South Carolina treatment centers.

Programming includes one-on-one therapy, peer counseling, and family counseling, along with a range of holistic and recreational activities such as massage therapy, mindfulness meditation, yoga, and equine therapy. Magnolia Treatment Center also has a group for clients with co-occurring disorders, a specialty available in 40 percent of treatment facilities in South Carolina.

After completing residential treatment, clients may participate in the rehab's eight-week or 16-week outpatient programs. Upon discharge, clients meet with an aftercare specialist and alumni coordinator to form a post-treatment plan.

Led by a clinical and a medical director, the treatment team includes medical doctors, nurses, primary therapists, family therapists, and licensed counselors. To date, the 16 individuals polled by Rehabs.com who evaluated the rehab's staff rated them highly.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.8/5

Magnolia Recovery Center accommodates 36 residents on gender-specific floors in a repurposed boutique hotel. Private rooms are available. Other amenities include a swimming pool and Jacuzzi. The 16 individuals who rated the facility's upkeep and activities indicated that they were both excellent.

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 4.6/5
Exercise and Leisure Activities: 4.7/5

The more than two dozen alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date gave Magnolia Recovery Center highly positive feedback. They indicated that there were a range of helpful groups and counseling options, as well as an above-average offering of holistic activities.

Counseling Options: 4.2/5
Holistic Offerings: 3.8/6

"Strengths were the DBT courses.. One on One time.. Location.. Faculty. Can't find any weaknesses. This place changed my life," S.D.S. wrote in a representative review.

Former clients also noted that their family members were included in the treatment process, and reported that they would highly recommend the facility to others.

Family Participation: 4.2/5
Likelihood to Recommend: 4.9/5

"No hesitation in recommending this facility to a family member or a friend," A.K. wrote in a representative review. "It was one of the best decisions I ever made at this time in my life."

Magnolia Recovery Center also fared well on secondary sites, earning an average rating of four out of five stars based on 15 Google reviews[1] and a 4.5 out of five star rating based on the options of 21 individuals on Facebook[2]. The majority of clients who left comments described the rehab as a top-notch facility set in a beautiful location with compassionate staff. "Comfortable accommodations and respectful staff makes focusing on you easy. Good choice!" Annie told Google in a representative review.

The two loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave Magnolia Recovery Center mostly positive feedback. Both awarded the rehab four or five out of five stars for its family participation, its cleanliness, its counseling options, and its treatment of co-occurring disorders. The only loved one to leave commentary wrote: "I think the facility is beautiful and it is in a wonderful location. At the time my loved one was there, the offerings in types of therapy and the training of the some of the staff members seemed lacking."

To date, the one staffer polled by Rehabs.com gave the facility positive feedback, awarding it four or five out of five stars for its cleanliness, its holistic offerings, its family participation, its counseling options, and its treatment of co-occurring disorders.

According to the facility's website, Magnolia Recovery Center accepts most private insurance plans, and offers financial assistance to those who qualify.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/magnoliarecoverycenter/reviews/?ref=pageinternal](https://www.facebook.com/pg/magnoliarecoverycenter/reviews/?ref=pageinternal)

Published on December 2018

Er

This place saved my life and helped to build a solid foundation in my recovery. I am still sober today and an active member in AA. My experience here was amazing. It worked for me. It works if you work it.

Nancy

Our son recently spent 30 days at this facility and I cannot even express how grateful I am to the staff at Magnolia Recovery Center. The love and concern that they showed him and the rest of our family was extraordinary! It is definitely more expensive than other facilities but worth the money.Knowing that our son was safe and getting the best care possible was worth every penny.

MG

Do not trust what this company says about insurance approval and billing. They gave an out of pocket max and said they had the stay approved but 6 months later, I find that they only got it approved for day visits not overnight. I am now being personally billed for $16,000.00 for 8 days!

DH

Sunspire Health has been, by far, the most beneficial program I have experienced in my 9 year struggle with drug addiction. It gave me a chance to put a pause on my out of control life and focus on the real reasons I don't work when I'm in control. I felt nothing but unconditional love from ALL of the staff from day 1 until the time I left and I am forever grateful for that.

KO

The staff at Sunspire are amazing! Very comfortable place to be all around-people, rooms, food. I feel like I can call here anytime if I'm in a state and have to talk to someone. I was given everyone's business cards-I hope they won't be sorry!!

DH

My daughter was treated one year ago. Staff were excellent. Discharge planning was abrupt and definitely needed to be updated, especially for families living far away. I feel my they saved my daughter's life. Very thankful for Sunspire. Beautiful campus.

HS

Sunspire saved my life. The level of care I got there was beyond amazing. If you’re willing to put the work you need in and give a damn about your recovery, it’s an amazing place. The only peopl I know that failed were the ones who never tried. I have never felt such love in my life from anyone. When I wanted to leave the techs made sure I didn’t, they stopped me and reminded me of why I traveled 20 hours to get there. It’s a shame that the therapist left when I did because she specifically made the biggest impact on my life, but I trust their judgement to hire someone at the same level as her. They will push you places you don’t want to go but it helps. I can’t speak highly enough of many staff members. 4 of them made my daily life better. I can’t thank them enough for giving me the push and courage to save my life. I have nothing but respect for the people that work here. This place is amazing. The only problem I had was food. One goal I had was to lose weight and though I lost about 15 pounds, but after getting off alcohol I gained all the weight back and then some. I didn’t get great dietary advice or resources and the food was mediocre at best. Things were still frozen but the toaster and microwave can’t be used at the same time so lines got really backed up. The one other thing I wish I would have learned more about would be the 12 steps but we did do readings out of the big book. Other than those two things, I have nothing bad to say. God help me if I ever fail, it will be 100% my fault and I will use the resources I got from there to get back up. Thank you Sunspire.

Jimmy

We all experience those quintessential periods in life that neither logic nor law can explain. Sunspire Hilton Head on the other hand has somehow been able to formulate an equation that when met with willingness and open-mindedness, brings one closer to understanding and as a result shown light on a solution. I could simply relay that the "staff was great" or that "I really learned a lot" but that is not the case. The family of medical, psychiatric, administrative and operational staff saved my life. They did not achieve this feat by protocol and doctrine. My life was saved by their compassion. My life was saved by their love. My life was saved by their belief in me and their unwavering commitment to their mission. I do not make these statements lightly. I am a combat Marine and have stared many an enemy in the face and did so without fear each time. Fear though, eventually found me and won. Fear consumed me through my addiction and behaviors associated with such. For the first time in my life, I needed the help of others. The collective hand of the Sunspire Hilton Head Facility was extended my way. I grabbed on with all I had. I was lifted up. I was given hope. I was taught how to surrender with the hope of rebuilding. I am now filled with gratitude and humility. I only pray that I may some day pay it forward. So do I recommend Sunspire? Not necessarily. If you do not want change for you or your loved one. If you do not want hope and happiness in life once again. I suggest you don't go. I suggest you leave this opportunity for someone who truly desires these gifts. Hey, but what do I know. I'm just an alcoholic. Thank you Sunspire, Thank you.

Felicia

Sunspire was truly a blessing to my family. Our story is not unique but thanks to Sunspire ended with hope and sobriety. After years of opioid addiction and a failed attempt at rehab I reached out to Sunspire on behalf of my sibling. The representative I spoke to was compassionate and knowledgeable. Within 12 hours my sibling was on their way. The compassion and knowledge displayed during the call was reflected during the onsite admissions process. When I hugged my sibling good-bye I knew Sunspire was where he needed to be. I didn’t know the extent to which Sunspire would change all of our lives. The next 30 days Sunspire worked with my sibling in group and individual settings. He came to understand his disease, advocate for himself, and understand the trajectory he would need to take to beat his disease. Sunspire was extremely supportive to the family through one on one conversations, counseling sessions, and support. The support staff, or techs, know each patient by name and are with them 24 hours. Sunspire gets knows the individual needs of each patient and develops a unique plan customized to the patient’s treatment and success. I am forever indebted to Sunspire for what they have done for my family. The support did not end with his 30 days. Prior to his release his team worked to ensure he had a stable plan for aftercare. My sibling developed a support group that led to an amazing sponsor and an intensive outpatient program. Thank you Sunspire Health Hilton Head from the bottom of our hearts!

RJ

The staff here is amazing. They truly care. The techs and therapists changed my life. I've been clean for six months and my favorite tech will still email me when I reach out to her. The rooms are comfortable, you get lots of time to read and journal (and smoke). The nurses are really nice. This place is what you make of it and for me and my kids, it was a miracle. They need to do something about the food. I ate a lot of salad and cereal. But, yeah, Sunspire rocks.

MK

From day one, I felt cared for by the staff. They showed me so much compassion as they helped me learn about my disease and more importantly how to manage my new life in recovery. I practiced so many skills while I was there and felt set up for success when I left. My family enjoyed the counseling available to them as well and we are all grateful for the impact that Sunspire had on our lives. Thank you just doesn't express what I truly feel for the opportunity I had in Hilton Head.

ERU

I just left Sunspire after successfully completing more than 30 days of treatment and it changed my life. When I first got here, I was skeptical and pissed off at everything. It took me about two weeks to really surrender and listen to the education and groups. My therapist was amazing and helped me work through some really dark parts of my past. Everyone was patient with me and always took the time to help me get through some really difficult moments. The techs are amazing...they are always there for the clients 24/7. The nurses are genuine and of course the therapists are sensitive and understanding and know their stuff. There are some negative reviews on here but honestly I didn't see any of that stuff while I was there. The only thing I can say is the staff members have very firm boundaries and that makes some of the clients mad at times because they can't act the way they did before they entered treatment. I had such a great experience.....I can't say enough about Sunspire. I am 67 days sober and feel like I have been given a second chance at life.

They suck

This place is a joke. Only in it for the money. Can’t keep staff. They suck.

Audrey

Sunspire Health is an amazing treatment facility. I have been to quite a few and Sunspire was by far the best one. I am so grateful for all of the staff that helped me and look forward to be part of their alumni program so that I can go back and help the clients as well. Thank you Sunspire!

JB

Sunspire changed my brother's life. At first I was frustrated because, like the review below, I left voicemails and messages for staff to call back but they never did. It wasn't until later that I found out my brother had taken me off of the release so the staff COULDN'T call me back. They respected his privacy and confidentiality and now I am so grateful that they were so ethical despite my misunderstandings. My brother's quality of life is so much better now and he's back to a happier, healthier version of himself. The Alumni staff still follow up with him to check in. They offered him a place to heal. I'll forever be thankful to the facility and the phenomenal staff.

C.D.

As a family member of a recent Sunspire HH client, I will only speak to my personal experience. I found the lack of response to myself, as family member, to be extremely unprofessional For a facility that claims to invite family input, I am appalled. I left phone messages asking for a return call several times, and also sent an email with request for follow-up. I did not receive any response at all! I was one of the designated family members whom my sibling indicated should be able to be in contact. I have no idea what the issue is ... I can only hypothesize that the facility is sorely understaffed. As a mental health professional myself I cannot in good conscience recommend Sunspire HH in terms of the quality of its follow-through with family. If Sunspire invites further conversation with me regarding this post, please respond to this post with information regarding whom to contact. Thank you!

DSL

Therapists, techs, scheduling, community were great. Organization, staffing, transparency in insurance and program costs were all weaknesses. Therapists are great, community during my stay was extremely supportive of each other.

Cbb

Tech staff were great Management can improve. I had a good experience.

KM

I think it was great A weakness was to much of the 12 step stuff I wanted to learn more about me that the 12 steps

Bam

Most of the staff are very caring and want to help. Food isn't very healthy. The "techs" are wonderful. Most are in recovery themselves. They understand the issues and work very hard to make the clients feel comfortable.

Kelsey

Therapy based on individuals needs. Keeping some people from disrupting the group classes. All the staff is well educated on addiction and have a genuine love for what they do.

DB

Staff is very caring, well trained, and attentive the client's needs. Facility is of high quality in very clean. Attention is geared toward the community supporting each other through the process of rehabilitation as a group. no one is left behind or is ignored. Communication among staff is lacking, could use more on staff. Organization is also slacking, everyone is not always one the same page. Technology is needs to be updated and the nutrition level needs to be improved. Overall it is a fantastic facility, it just needs some minor tweeks to make it more efficient. Communication and organization among staff and management is the main one. Everyone needs to be one the same page at any given moment, or at least an answer provided to a concern or question in a prompt fashion. The food is fine, but the selection could be more nutritious if they want promote a healthier diet for their patients when they leave the facility.

Accommodations were great.

xxx

Strengths include the staff.

PB

In spite of a written agreement stating that my out-of-pocket costs would not exceed $2000, which I paid in full , upfront, signed by Sunspire, they continue to bill for thousands of dollars. Watch out for their billing...

Emily

The staff, the doctors, the therapists, the gym facility, the showers were great. The food variety was a weakness. I have learned so much about addiction from my experience here. This is my second treatment facility and completely different than my first time around. The staff is incredible, the therapists will call you out on your bull.. in the best way possible, and the facility is beautiful.

SDS

Strengths were the DBT courses.. One on One time.. Location.. Faculty. Can't find any weaknesses. This place changed my life.. If your looking for a place to really work on you then this is the place..

AK

Strengths: treatment effectiveness warm, friendly staff comfortable accommodations. Weaknesses: understaffed with enough clinical experience and group processing during the evening and on weekends too much smoking not enough alternative forms of therapy offered on-site Overall, very pleased and impressed with my stay. I feel happy and optimistic that I can take my 30 days and turn them into a lifetime of a happy and sober living. No hesitation in recommending this facility to a family member or a friend. It was one of the best decisions I ever made at this time in my life.

Lucy

Words are not enough to begin to express the gratitude I have for Sunspire and its staff. The physical, mental, and spiritual healing that I have obtained is nothing short of a miracle. There is no perfect treatment center as there is no perfect job, church, etc. However, the level of medical expertise combined with a GENUINE care and concern for their patients is what it sets it apart from other treatment centers. Everyone from the director to the housekeeper to the chefs take a personal interest in each and every patient. Although there were times I hated it there, Sunspire has truly saved my life. There is divine intervention going on in this facility!! I keep in touch with my fellow Sunspire graduates and they all say the same thing! P.S. THIS IS FROM MY HEART!! I am fifty years old and I have peace for the FIRST time in my life.

KM

My experience at Sunspire was life changing. When I first got there I was worried about feeling like I was in jail cause I had never been to rehab. The building is small and beautiful so I immediately knew I didn\'t need to worry. The staff were great. Everyone genuinely wanted me to get better and even worked with me to get past my belief I wasn\'t an addict (my parents made me go). It took awhile but I finally learned what I needed to know. My counselor was hard on me but that is what I needed. The weekend activities were fun, I loved going to the beach as I don\'t live near one. I wish we could smoke more but in the end I learned to cut down so that\'s good. I have a lot of food concerns and the kitchen manager was always very nice to me and went out of his way to make me things special. The nurses were all nice too. Even the big dog staff were very friendly and involved. I would recommend Sunspire 100%

Darin

The staff is very educated and truly care about the patients. Not enough staff. Same meals over and over. They will work with your individual needs spiritually nutrition anything you can think of.

Structure was nice. Therapy was a weakness.

David

The level of care these people have towards u on a personal basis is amazing they were and are my family the effort of work and dedication they put into my recovery they are all skilled and are truly a gift to there profession they make sure u have all the aftercare u need all set up in place before u leave ive been home just one nite and received phone calls on how i was doing its more that just a job to sunspire health they truly live by what they teach and care about your life looking back the weaknesses i thought of are very small compared to the level of care and what i learned from there in life theres alot of things that i might find not up to my standards or unfair but i went in sunspire health with a open mind and heart what they thought me i can never repay my name is david m im 42 i went to sunspire health in hilton head island south carolina i was at my end of my rope i hit the lowest of my life every thing about me and my life was dark everything i touch was turned to a path of destuction i had no hope or dreams of my future i even wondered why they would take me well let me tell u alittle bit about these people and i call them people i shouldnt they where to me angels from above they saved my life they gave me hope and a reason to live the staff they are truly amazing and when i say staff im talking from the house keeper to the top dog ms d .the clinical director has a open door policy and believe me i used it alot all my theropist were right on point they explained things to me that i could understand and worked with me alot on a personal basis it was so hard for me to believe that these people would care for me more than i did about myself i always thought it was just there job but after spending a short thirty days with them i found out differnt they care i seen then hurt when i hurt i seen the pain in there eye when i was talking about my pain they showed me that i dont have to live the the way i have been for the last 27 years they gave me my life back with what they taught me they showed me a new way to live to smile to keep my head up that i am worth it my life matters i found peace with a new passion in yoga there im a better man today and i cant say enough about this place or all the people that are involved in it ive meet truly close friendships there and much more they called me to even see how i was doing when i got home .so i hope who ever reads this please think to ur self u r worth more than what u might think or what others think there is a better way in life i now its hard and it is tough i was afraid but i thank god i picked up the phone and im glad god put these great people in my life i said they were friends sorry there my new family and i love them with all my heart for not giving up on me when i did on my self we never have to go back to the way we were and this place will show u a brighter path.

Lindsey

there are so many strengths to to the program I loved doing yoga on mondays and thursdays. Some of the weaknesses would maybe be phone calls but everything placed in the program serves a purpose. My experience with this facility was pricless and changed my life in so many ways i would not change anything about it everyone made me feel so at home as soon as I got here and i would not have wanted to get help anywhere else

JB

This is a great setting for rehab. The director is a good mix between being compassionate, understanding and firm. The discharge planner is very good at what he does and helped me get good placement. The food was also great and I loved my counselor. I wish there was more to do when it\'s hot out but I guess that\'s not the point of rehab. I would recommend this place to anyone serious about addiction help.

Locations, facilities were strengths. Clinical staff was a weakness. I think the facility is beautiful and it is in a wonderful location. At the time my loved one was there, the offerings in types of therapy and the training of the some of the staff members seemed lacking.