McLean Hospital- Ambulatory Treatment Center at Naukeag in Belmont, MA

Call (800) 333-0338 to Contact McLean Hospital- Ambulatory Treatment Center at Naukeag

115 Mill Street
Belmont MA 02478

McLean Hospital- Ambulatory Treatment Center at Naukeag Philosophy

At McLean Naukeag, clients are offered residential and partial hospital care for substance abuse and co-occurring psychiatric disorders in a safe, compassionate clinical setting. Individuals are offered a comprehensive range of treatment services, featuring an in-depth medical assessment, group therapy, medication stabilization, addiction education, aftercare assistance, and more. Care is offered on a residential, inpatient, partial hospital, and outpatient basis.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

Group Therapy

Individual Therapy

Bucolic Setting

ABOUT MCLEAN HOSPITAL — AMBULATORY TREATMENT PROGRAM AT NAUKEAG

Located in Petersham, central Massachusetts, the Ambulatory Treatment Program at Naukeag offers residential care and partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) for adults struggling with substance use disorder and co-occurring psychiatric disorders, with a special emphasis on treating dual diagnosis. The center is operated by McLean Hospital, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School that's headquartered 65 miles east in Belmont.

Medical detox is not available on-site, and treatment is intended for those who have already safely detoxed. Clients who need to detox can do so at McLean Hospital's main facility in Belmont. McLean Hospital and its satellite facilities are among the 24.2 percent of Massachusetts-based rehabs that operate as private nonprofits.

McLean's programs use evidence-based psychosocial methods combined with medication management, when necessary. Treatment plans are individualized and begin with an in-depth assessment, which staff use to determine the best course of treatment.

At Naukeag, treatment includes individual and group therapy, self-help meetings, and education about abstinence. Physical dependence and any co-occurring disorders are addressed by stabilizing, evaluating, managing, and educating clients on medications, as well as educating them on how to manage their illness or illnesses.

Clients also learn life skills, including how to prevent relapse, and receive assistance in planning for life after treatment. Clients' families are encouraged to play an active role throughout treatment. The program also focuses on managing stress and working with clients to achieve their goals, whether related to their recovery, career, or personal life.

According to the facility’s website, staff includes board-certified psychiatrists, licensed clinical social workers, registered nurses, and expressive therapists. The single individual polled by Rehabs.com to date on the level of staff support provided gave it five out of five stars.

The facility is located in a quiet community, and offers comfortable bedrooms, common areas, and landscaped grounds. Visitors are allowed during designated hours every afternoon, and cell phones are permitted (except during therapy sessions).

Similarly, smoking is allowed but only in a designated outdoor area. Clients are encouraged to quit smoking, and nicotine cessation treatment is available. The single individual polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's cleanliness gave it four stars.

All four of the alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date gave Naukeag stellar feedback. The reviews repeatedly praised the center's staff, comfort level, and effective treatment. "Naukeag was live saving and empowering! The staff is second to none, they teach you how to handle life WITHOUT alcohol/drugs. The sleeping accommodations are 2 in a room,very comfortable and the food was outstanding!" K.C. wrote in a representative comment.

The center also has excellent feedback on secondary sites, with a perfect five-star average rating based on the opinions of eight people posting on an unofficial Facebook page.[1] "Can't say enough about this place.Went to McLeans for detox,then I was fortunate enough to go here,will be a year clean & sober on 6/16/2015.THANK YOU," Debbi wrote in one comment; "Wonderful place. Very professional and kind," Katie added in the only other piece of commentary left on Facebook.

All three of the loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com to date also gave positive feedback. The single loved one polled on Naukeag's performance in a variety of areas gave the center four stars for its leadership and counseling and three stars for its holistic offerings and family participation.

In their comments, the friends and family members repeatedly described Naukeag helping people with at least one previous failed attempt at rehab. "My dearest friend -- my soul sister -- bravely fought a horrible addiction for so many years. Naukeag was the only treatment that helped her conquer it," Z. wrote in a representative comment. Loved one Amy praised the breadth and warmth of the program, writing: "A life saver for our child. The program is comprehensive yet caring and compassionate."

McLean accepts private insurance, Medicare, and Massachusetts Medicaid (accepted at 72.1, 57.8, and 74.9 percent of Massachusetts-based rehabs, respectively).

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pages/McLean-Ambulatory-Treatment-Center-At-Naukeag/122350771156956

Published on December 2018

S.B.

As a first timer to rehab, I was sooo impressed with Naukeag. Some of the highlights were cell phone and computer use, mostly single bed rooms, good food, freedom to leave the property for walks, hikes or with family, great staff that cared and motivated patients, and lots of free time. I was only disappointed in not receiving a refill on a new prescription I was prescribed for high blood pressure. They tripled my dose half way through the treatment and I only had a few days left of medication by the time I left. I received refills for all the other psychiatric medications but not this "medical" one. I saw improvements on my blood pressure on my home device and was just confounded they wouldn't refill this prescription. I'm waiting until I see my NP in a couple weeks to have it refilled. The facility was good because of the freedoms. It was clean, well run, and inspiring. The only weakness I saw was the nursing staff and this was only a small weakness. Some of the nursing staff were a little moody at times. This may have been due to importance of the job with restricted medications (I wasn't on any).

Rob P

This place gets it right. I've been to way too many in Pa, NJ Ny and my trip to MASS was soo worth it. I think this place has everything. Speaking of the detox and especially the aftercare. The doctors nurses and staff are way above anything I experienced but the people themselves. I mean patients made it great. I can go on and on. Ty naukeag.

AC

A two week program is simply not enough. Do not waste your money on this place.

TM

I entered treatment at Naukeag completely broken. The individual work I did with my counselor and the groups helped me to get in touch with the trauma that was fueling.My addiction. Thr setting of Naukeag Lake is so serene that while you are at such a vulnerable time, I found refuge in thr ability to reconnect with God- something I'd lost in active addiction.

Z.

My dearest friend -- my soul sister -- bravely fought a horrible addiction for so many years. Naukeag was the only treatment that helped her conquer it.

KC

Naukeag was live saving and empowering! The staff is second to none, they teach you how to handle life WITHOUT alcohol/drugs. The sleeping accommodations are 2 in a room,very comfortable and the food was outstanding! I loved that fresh fruit was available 24/7. The lessons I learned at Naukeag I will take with me forever,Naukeag is now a part of my soul. As a group you are referred to as a "community" and you truly do become a part of the community, I made life long friends and we continue to support each other. I just can't say enough good things. 5 stars to the entire staff!!!! They give total support!!!!

JP

After detox at McLean hospital, I was homeless & very afraid to go to a shelter. My thoughts were still racing & I wanted to leave the hospital to continue drinking & drugging. Going to Naukeag was one active step for my recovery because it gave me more time to stabilize my meds & my anxiety. The staff at both McLeans/Nuakeag were all exceptional. I highly recommend it. I did have to wait for a detox bed which was hard but I stayed persistent calling them at least 2/3 times per day. McLeans helped save my life & they are experts at addiction & mental illness, which is the same thing.

Amy

A life saver for our child. The program is comprehensive yet caring and compassionate. We highly recommend this if you are fortunate enough to get in.

It was an overall very good facility, with great connectivity.

Cathy

My son chose Naukeag for the second time because he knew of the great care he received the first time around. He left too soon the first time and for the wrong reasons. This time he did everything on his own willingly because he is tired of the life he is living. Going to the next level in his recovery is the furthest he has ever gone in his recovery. I think that says a lot for the care he received at Naukeag. Great support for the addict. Attended parent meetings