Meridian Health Services in Waterford, MI

1255 N. Oakland Blvd
Waterford MI 48327

Meridian Health Services Philosophy

Meridian Health Services provides evidence-based treatment to individuals struggling with addiction in order to provide the highest quality, most effective care available. Specializing in co-occurring psychiatric and addiction services, Meridian Health aims to address each individual’s unique behavioral condition and work with clients to create positive solutions for enduring recovery.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Wellness, Relaxation, Exercise and Recreational Activities

Family Programming to Support Families of Addicts

Group Meetings for Mental Health, Anger Management, Grief, Trauma and Co-Occurring Disorders

Diane Morris, MD

Dr. Morris has been with Meridian Health Services since 2008. She received her PhMD from the University of Alabama School of Medicine in 1986. Dr. Morris participated in two post-graduate residencies in internal medicine, one at the Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA, and one at the Detroit Medical Center in Detroit, MI. Dr. Morris sits on the State of Michigan Drug Utilization Board. Dr. Morris also operates a private medical practice.

Megan Aubin, BA, RN

Megan Aubin has been with Meridian Health Services since 2007. Megan is the Medical Services Manager, and oversees all medical needs and patient care at Meridian Health Services. She earned her BA in Health Studies from Michigan State University in 2007, and became an RN in 2010. Megan has clinical experience through the Detroit Medical Center. She is currently pursuing her Master’s Degree in Nursing at Oakland University.

ABOUT MERIDIAN HEALTH SERVICES

Located 35 miles northwest of Detroit in Waterford Township, Mich., Meridian Health Services is a private addiction treatment center offering medically-monitored detox, residential, and outpatient, and intensive outpatient (IOP) programming for adults seeking treatment for substance abuse and co-occurring disorders.

Treatment at Meridian Health Services begins with an assessment by a counselor. Clients meet with a counselor to identify their individual treatment needs. This plan is used to assign clients to the appropriate services.

Meridian Health Services follows the disease model of addiction. Treatment focuses on addressing clients’ needs in a holistic way that treats the mind, body, and spirit. Treatment consists of evidence-based cognitive therapies and individualized treatment plans. All treatment is gender-specific, and focuses on finding the underlying behaviors that trigger addiction.

Clients participate in daily group therapy sessions. They attend individual and group counseling and educational lectures, as well as optional activities including 12-step meetings, exercise, art, and recreational and vocational workshops. There’s also time each day for reflection and relaxation.

Family involvement in treatment is encouraged. Clients can have their families participate in group therapy on a weekly basis. They can also participate in select therapy activities to rebuild the family connections that clients need after treatment.

The treatment team at Meridian Health Services includes an M.D. who is board certified in addiction medicine, a registered nurse, master-level counselors, licensed therapists, social workers, and a certified addiction counselor. The facility is CARF accredited, as well as state licensed for specific services.

The facilities at Meridian Health Services include rooms for residential clients. Clients share gender-separate rooms. Detox is offered from a separate, medically monitored unit with laundry facilities and a lounge with a flat-screen TV. The residential unit offers the same amenities, plus a full kitchen and a community dining area. Smoking is permitted in designated areas.

Of the 10 alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, four were positive and six were negative. Two of the positive reviewers appreciated the staff. “Staff is professional they are willing to help you if you are willing to help yourself… its changed my life and it could change yours,” alum Joe wrote. Reviewer J.K.C. felt the program works if clients put in the effort. “This place has pretty much everything I needed. The food is good and plentiful, you go to meditation, therapy, lectures and meetings,” the alum wrote.

Yet the other individuals noted harsh treatment. “Very unprofessional staff. Terrible medical treatment… I would nor recommend this to my worst enemy!” G.I. wrote to Rehabs.com and described the environment much like a “boot camp” or “prison.” The second negative reviewer, S.C., wrote “Worst place ever...They only care about $$$.” Alum M.S. wrote: “Horrible staff maybe one or two are qualified. It didn't help me and several other people that attended. This place truly should be shut down.”

On Google, the facility has received an average rating of 2.7 stars based on 25 reviews. [1] Reviewers cited lack of adequate communication with staff and clients discharged for minor infractions. However, some of the more recent reviews are positive and praise the effectiveness of treatment.

On Yelp, where the facility has received two one out of five star reviews and one three-star review, reviewer Susan complained of a “cold, indifferent, and unapproachable” counselor and inadequate medical care. [2]

Of the five reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, three were positive and two negative. Negative reviewers cited different complaints of minimal contact with loved ones and overmedication. Although M.V. described the treatment as “fine enough,” the loved one felt “phone and visitation rules are literally more restricted than they are in a jail.”

Some of the loved ones praised the program and the tools provided as well as the aftercare provisions for sustained sobriety. “Well rounded program very impressed with this center,” Susan wrote. In addition, Brian wrote, “Gave my wife all the mental tools needed to attain and sustain sobriety.”

Meridian Health Services participates with Medicaid, Meridian Health Plan, ValueOptions, and LifeSynch. Private pay is also accepted.

[1] http://goo.gl/tghOYU
[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/meridian-health-services-waterford-township

Published on February 2018

K.A.

From detox to check out day my treatment was amazing. I recommend this facility to anyone looking for structured treatment. Amazing structure. Not enough class variety.

Taylor

My boyfriend was checked into Meridian, and I believe it was the best thing for him but me as well. Everyone I�ve come in contact with has been so kind and helping towards me, and I�m not even the client. One guy in detox day and talked to me for a half hour on ways that I can�t help my boyfriend when he comes out and how to be supportive of him. Checking things into resitdential was so easy, and too, again they two males that went through his things were so kind and smiling as well. As for visitation it does stink to only be able to see someone once a week, or o my here from them for ten minutes a day, but you have to sit back and think they ARE addicts. For some talking to families and loved ones that much are going to make them want to come home. The phone calls I have been able to have, he�s been happy then he has in years, and laughing with the ones around them. This place is for the clients not us. But if you go in and ask questions all the staff are so helpful and kind. Kind, helpful and knowledgeable. I haven�t seen any on my side, but I�m also not a client

Km

Most inadequate terrible place you could ever send a person I wouldn't send my dog to signed out after 24 hours went to us Plus Palm Beach Florida learned all the tools I needed and was treated with respect I had a very good experience please don't send someone here

AF

It only works if you work. I was at rock bottom and appreciated every minute there, they saved me. I didn't need spoiling like all of us think we need at that point in life. My best memories of the beginning of my recovery are there.

ALA

Meridian specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy vs other "traditional" recovery centers that are 12 steps based. It focuses on positivity and self care to create constructive living habits. It does not rehash all the "war stories" as addicts, we all have. It is not a place for men and women to meet up and leave together like a drug addict dating site. They do not permit it and keep men and women seperate. I believe this is health for addicts because it allows you to actually focus on your self verses the cute boy or girl you meet in the smoking patio. Any treatment center is what the addict makes of it. They do have a lot more for men than for women as well as a lot of down time verse other treatment centers that keep you constantly bisy class after class. I believe this is healthy because in the real world this is life.. We have down time. Its VERY had for an addict to try and sneak drugs into this facility.. They do not mess around when it comes down to this specific situation. They are focused on keeping their visitors in a safe environment. This is a very wonderful treatment center.

jojo

Great Treatment!

Ms

Worst place ever please if you have a choice good somewhere else! Horrible staff maybe one or two are qualified. It didn't help me and several other people that attended. This place truly should be shut down

RD

OKAY WHERE DO I BEGIN...THEIR CURE FOR EVERYTHING IS " JUST KEEP DRINKING WATER!" AND THE PICTURES YOU MAY HAVE SEEN......THATS THE MENS SIDE WITH POOL TABLE, MUSICAL INSTUMENTS , THE GUYS CAN ACTUALLY GO SMOKE WHEN EVER THEY WANT.....NOW GIRLS ROOMS ARE CRAZY IN DETOX TO SLEEP YOU GOT UP TO 6 BEDS TO A ROOM, IN RESIDENTAL THERE IS A ROOM WITH8 BEDS, FEMAIL SIDE ALSO HAS TO ASK FOR SMOKE BREAK...BUT THIS ONLY HAPPENS IF THERE IS STAFF MEMBER IS WILLING TO TAKE US, WE HAVE NOTHING FANCY WE HAD A FEW GAMES, COLORING SHEETS, A HANDFUL OF MOVIES (OLD) MY SUGGESTION IS TAKE A REAL TOUR AND ASK QUESTIONS! OH 1 MORE THING THE FOOD ISNT EXACTLY FRESH.....BASICALLY ITS STUFF YOU JUST HAVE TO WARM UP...NOTHING HEALTHY....ALL CARBS! , SORRY BUT IT ALSO ISNT RIGHT IF YOU DONT GO TO THEIR LIST OF CLASSES EVEN 1 CLASS THEY TAKE AWAY YOUR SMOKE BREAKS

L. D.

Absolute worst place! Detox staff was highly unprofessional in the women's unit. Treated us like we were scum in jail, talked about us in their offfice like we couldn't hear them, and one woman particularly was horrible. I seriously don't know how that woman has a job there. Food was ok, lack of communication with family sucked. Also the doctor was mean and thinks she knows everything. People are kicked out over the most minor of things and when kicked out the staff treats you poorly, putting you in the "holding" area to wait for a ride.

jkc

I was here for 21 days. Prepare to have up to 5 days detox and then 14 days treatment, you can request extensions with your counselor. This place has pretty much everything I needed. The food is good and plentiful, you go to meditation, therapy, lectures and meetings. You are only going to get out of it what you put into it. Many people leave early (against treatment advice--ATA) because they didn't want to put in the work it takes to gain perspective on your life and addiction--the work it takes to change your thinking. Ladies and men are not mingled here except at a few meetings and for a few activities. You will have to write about your life in perspective papers and exercises. It takes up your time and really gets you thinking about your lifestyle etc. There are washers and dryers. You are allowed to bring your own snacks and drinks. just no caffeine or chocolate. Hard candy, soda, frozen meals, prepackaged foods are allowed. Medication line is kind of a drag. You have to be ready to put forth time and effort to help yourself. Gook Luck

Victoria

This treatment center changed my whole life around. The staff is wonderful. It\'s a very nice facility. The counselors are very attentive. Heaven forbid if I were to relapse I will be going back to Meridian. I highly recommend this center to anyone struggling with addiction.

KLAC

My son was in facility for dual treatment. Staff is friendly, prompt, well educated. The rooms from what my son explained were very clean, Meridian gives you 3 very nice meals a day. If your loved one needs help this is the place you want them to be. My son had been in 3 othe facilities and in my sons own word this place \"was most helpful for him and the staff didn\'t treat him like a criminal or mental case because he\'s bipolar\"

MV

My biggest complaint is that such limited contact is allowed with patients there. My partner stayed for almost a month and it was horrible having to deal with how little he was allowed to contact me/anyone in his family. Visitation is on Tuesdays from 6 to 8:30 but you have to be invited to visit a week in advance and schedule a visit. If you go to detox when you check in and aren\'t moved to residential by Tuesday, you aren\'t allowed a visit the following Tuesday and have to wait over 2 weeks in some cases to see a loved one after you check in. Also, patients are only allowed to register 2 adult visitors excluding their children under 18 so some members of my partners family were unable to visit. In addition to this, residents are not allowed to use phones AT ALL in detox and are allowed to make one, ten minute phone call a day while they\'re in residential. This is very strict compared to some other rehabilitation centers. The treatment was fine enough, but seeing as phone and visitation rules are literally more restricted than they are in a jail, I would reccomend sending your loved one to another rehab if you actually want to be able to see/speak to them at all while they\'re there.

Gl

Very unprofessional staff. Terrible medical treatment. There is a few of the staff that truly care but rest don\'t care! Some of the staff treats it like a boot camp I thought I was I. Rehab not the army or prison! I would not recommend this to my worst enemy! And it\'s to bad because they have great counselors who really do care but besides one. They need a whole new staff. I seen In 2 weeks 14 people leave. Just walk out because they handle the bad stuff!!! So don\'t waste your time sending a loved one there do your shopping there many other places.

Joe

I attended meridan for 21 days and my advice to any new comers is this- You will be fed Breakfast (8:00 AM) Lunch (12:00pm) and dinner (4:00pm). Most meals you are able to get \"seconds\" if you are still hungry but not always. Ask your family or friends to bring you extra meals they can bring you pop as long as its caffiene free and they can also bring you frozen foods or any kind of snacks (discluding chocolate). Also you can smoke cigarettes as much as you please at Meridian your family or friends can drop you off cigarettes for your time there. Ipods or any electronics are prohibited during your stay. No ipods or cd plays however you can bring a radio only that plugs into the wall. Once 5:00pm hits each day, you have down time from then all the way until 10:00pm which is when you have to go to bed and weekends is Midnight. During your down time you can take a nap, watch movies that meridian supplies, watch tv in the living area or the tv room that is seperate. I advise to bring flip flops or sandals so you can take showers without being barefoot. There is seperate shower stalls. Also if you plan on writting letters to people you must bring your own supplies meridian will not supply you with anything except a pencil and a peice of paper. Also jewlery is allowed that includes earrings or necklaces. Between the hours of 8am-5pm you will attend morning mediation (mandatory) and also group lecture (mandatory). There is also a nurse and you can see her 3 times a day regarding your medication. Lastly, the meals there are not terrible they feed you high carb foods so you can gain healthy weight. They feed you things like lasanga, subs, roast beef sandwiches, etc. they give you decent sized meals with 2-3 sides. You will not go hungry but it is nice to have personal food from drop offs so you are able to eat during your down time at night. Staff is professional they are willing to help you if you are willing to help yourself. Dont be afraid to attend here, its changed my life and it could change yours

Jc

Worst rehab ever. A complete joke. Whoever their doctor is was awful. My girlfriend went in and was given too much medicine. Thanks!!!! U guys r great

Susan

I am quite informed regarding treatment centers. I have been sober 24 years and have helped many people make the decision to do something about their problem. This facility did lack in family assistance but for the alcoholic/addict they covered all areas..pysh eval, therapy, writing, accountability, chore assignments, responsibility, aftercare set up before individuals leave, help with insurance applications, 12 step and meetings, well rounded program very impressed with this center

Brian

Gave my wife all the mental tools needed to attain and sustain sobriety. I think she said the food wasn't all that good. Did everything they could to follow the rules they set forth for my wife to become a better person and mother of our children. Every member of the staff that I spoke with was very honest and forthcoming about what this journey we are on would be like. And they were right on so far. I think they care about their patients.

Juno

Worst place ever. Send your sister their if you want her to fed like she\'s in jail

S C

Worst place ever!! They kick patients out after only a few days... Not nice!! They only care about $$$