MFI Recovery Center - A Woman's Place

4295 Brockton Avenue, Riverside, California, 92501

About the Facility

Conveniently located in Riverside, CA, A Woman’s Place is a beacon of light to the women we serve here. This gated haven is a safe place for women, and women with children, to free themselves from the bonds of substance abuse through carefully structured programs.

Individual Therapy

This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

Residential Treatment

• Relapse Prevention
  • Life Skills Development
  • Parenting Skills Development
Juli Kukulka, CAS-II

Juli Kukulka, CAS-II

Program Coordinator

Juli has been working in the substance abuse field for more than 16 years. She began as a counselor providing direct services to women in need. After five years she advanced to becoming the Director of Operations for La Vista Recovery Center and held that position for more than 10 years. She received her CAS II credential and is a graduate of Mt. San Jacinto College where she received her Associates Degree in Alcohol Drug Studies. Currently, Juli supervises the San Jacinto outpatient offices of MFI as well as Program Coordinator of the LaVista location of MFI Recovery Center.

Show Bio
Marlene Personett, CADC-II, CACCS

Marlene Personett, CADC-II, CACCS

Program Coordinator

Marlene has worked with MFI for a total of 8 years. Initially she worked as a certified substance abuse counselor at our women's programs. She left the agency to teach the Alcohol and Drug Counseling Course at Intercoast Colleges and ultimately became the director of the West Covina campus. MFI was fortunate enough to have her return in a management position overseeing our men's residential treatment program in Woodcrest. She has since taken on the grand task of Program Coordinator of the Riverside Outpatient programs and gender specific residential programs in Riverside. Marlene is credentialed as a CADC-II and CACCS (California Certified Clinical Supervisor).

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT MFI RECOVERY CENTER - A WOMAN'S PLACE IN RIVERSIDE, CA

MFI Recovery - A Woman’s Place in Riverside, Calif., offers residential treatment for women struggling with chemical dependency and co-occurring disorders. The facility is one of nine locations operated by MFI Recovery Center, a nonprofit organization established in 1972.

The program for women is one of 715 (54.5 percent) of programs in the state dedicated exclusively to adult women; even rarer, it’s one of just 170 (13 percent) that offers child care for clients’ children.

Depending on their needs, women have access to 30, 60, or 90-day plans of care. The center offers childcare for young children who accompany their mothers during treatment and runs a “family focus group” twice weekly. According to its website, MFI boasts an 83 percent success rate amongst graduates who remain clean and sober six months after leaving treatment.

The facility’s program uses evidence-based practices like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to emphasize physical, mental, emotional and spiritual transformation for each client. Throughout treatment, clients receive individual and group therapy, an introduction to 12-step programs, parenting classes, anger management, and family therapy. A Woman’s Place offers unique treatments and therapy including meditation.

Aftercare is available for all clients who successfully complete the program and involves a customized relapse prevention plan for each client as well as regular alumni group meetings.

The treatment team includes licensed therapists, addiction counselors, and certified family interventionists. MFI programs are CARF-accredited, along with just 27.9 percent of facilities statewide.

According to the facility’s website, A Woman’s Place features residences described as “nicely furnished, comfortable, and safe,” within a gated, shared community. Women with children reside in private residences, while women without accompanying children stay in private or shared homes.

The center has a brightly colored children’s playroom, an outdoor playground, toys, cribs, and highchairs.

Responses from a pair of former program participants responding to a Rehabs.com poll were positive.

One alum, Kellie, reported that she relapsed after leaving, re-entered the facility, and has been sober ever since. “This program has major benefits and major drawbacks,” she told Rehabs.com. “I believe I got as much out of that program as I did because I was completely prepared to get sober and none of the issues that I noticed were enough to keep me from fighting for my life.”

The other, Valerie, gave the center five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness. “I LOST EVERYTHING TO COOKING N USING METH,” she wrote. “BUT WITH THE HELP OF MFI AND SOME OF THE COUNSELORS THERE TAUGHT ME WHO I WAS AND GAVE ME THE SELF ESTEEM WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF MY ADDICTION TO STAY CLEAN .THANK YOU SO MUCH TO YOU ALL AT MFI U HAVECHANGED MY LIFE.”

On Google, the facility has an average rating of 3.9 out of five stars based on 14 reviews.[1] Positive reviewers commended staff and overall treatment, though three negative reviewers felt staff were not professional.

The cost of treatment at the facility is $7,500 per month.

One of just 734 (56 percent) of facilities in the state of California that accepts insurance, MFI Recovery Center’s list of participating plans include Kaiser Permanente, Aetna, Magellan, United Healthcare, Cigna, Humana, and CompPsych, amongst others.

[1]GoogleReviews

Accreditations & Licenses
  • CARF
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

4/5
    4.5/5
    4.5/5
    3/5

• valerie
    MY NAME IS VALERIE . I WENT TO MFI AND SUCCESSFULY COMPLETED THIS PROGRAM WHICH GAVE ME THE TOOLS TO REMAIN CLEAN AND SOBER. I LOST EVERYTHING TO COOKING N USING METH . BUT WITH THE HELP OF MFI AND SOME OF THE COUNSELORS THERE TAUGHT ME WHO I WAS AND GAVE ME THE SELF ESTEEM WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF MY ADDICTION TO STAY CLEAN .THANK YOU SO MUCH TO YOU ALL AT MFI U HAVECHANGED MY LIFE
  • Kellie
    This program has major benefits and major drawbacks. The facility itself where the women stay is as good as its going to get unless you're rich enough to go to [a luxury facility]. You get your own apartment with one or two room mates. The big issue that needs to be addressed is staffing. They need to get counselors that are not concerned with having power over the girls and are concerned only with empowering us in our recovery and teaching us to live again. As it is, the girls are very much treated like children who need to be disciplined instead of grown woman that need to be taught life skills. The groups were where they need the most work, they were absolute chaos. The girls ran the groups and the counselors had very little ability to keep them under control. It was very distracting to the point that I left several times rather than hear everyone screaming at each other. There was also a safety issue, a woman came in with a black eye because her husband had beat her while he was using. After they made up she brought him inside the building several times even after being warned not to. ... However as I said there were some counselors there that genuinely cared for us and took whatever time we needed to talk us through our bad days. I will say however that one of them was fired after I left. I don't know what the reasoning was so I can't really comment on that. I believe I got as much out of that program as I did because I was completely prepared to get sober and none of the issues that I noticed were enough to keep me from fighting for my life. After my first time going I did relapse about a month or two after I left but the second time I went inpatient I have stayed sober. If I hadnt wanted sobriety so badly I do not think I would have stayed. I was not able to do aftercare because I had to return to work, so it was my choice not to attend, they do have aftercare programs. They have two very fancy apartments that they show as examples of where we were to stay. The actual apartments are much smaller and have a lot of issues such as mold and bad plumbing.

Nearby cities with more treatment facilities: